Open today: 06:00 - 22:00
Review Highlights
Cheap transportation to the beach!

AutoProgreso runs a fleet of buses to and from Progreso to Merida daily Buses are generally clean... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
RegD1945
Merida, Mexico
via mobile
Loved this excursion!

We are first time cruisers and went into progresso with no plan. These great people gave us a free... read more

Reviewed 2 days ago
repairsbyrusty
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
via mobile

All reviews combo tour half the price cruise ship an excursion our tour guide beach resort mario lopez mayan ruins great tour sales pitch flea market lovely beach air conditioned bus all inclusive hotel my husband and daughter recent cruise small group
Reviewed 15 December 2017 via mobile

We, a family of 5, arrived at the Progresso port from our carnival cruise and took a bus titled "aut progreso" into town. When we arrived our bus driver described all kinds of excursions they offere in case we were interested. Carnival had canceled many excursions at our last port due to weather and because of that all of their progreso excursions had been booked so we were very interested in this. We chose an excursion that includes swimming in two different cenotes one open and one a cave, also including an authentic Mayan lunch. The drive was about and hour and a half from progreso but our tour guide Fernando made it seem much less long. We got to see the city of Merida, the capital, as well as the Mayan country side. At the first cenote we were given goggles and snorkels and an area to change. This one was open to the sky but was still quite the climb down. We were allowed 40 mins to swim here. This was the bluest prettiest water I have ever seen in my life! This cenote even had a rope swing and an area to dive off of. We left this one for another that was about 10 mins away. The second was more of a tourist area and included the Mayan restaurant and even Wi-Fi. We ordered our food, had some Mayan tea then made our way down into the cave. This staircase down was much steeper and a little scary but just go slow and it is so worth it once you get down there! We were all provided life jackets and Fernando got in with us to guide us through the cave. Yes there were bats, but they just minded their own business. We swam for maybe 30 mins here but most of us were so hungry we went back up for food. The food was so good and we were provided two drinks beer or soda. The women that worked there also sold a few handmade goods. If you didn't speak Spanish, Fernando was able to communicate to the women working there so there was never any confusion. This trip was half the price of anything carnival offered and we traveled with a great driver David, great tour guide Fernando, all in an air conditioned tour van with music. For about $45 a person I would do it again and again. This company also offered many other excursions. If you are not feeling adventurous they had an all inclusive beach front with drinks and food. Give them a try on your next trip to Progreso!

Reviewed 11 December 2017 via mobile

Booked this excursion for our Dec cruise. Figured it would be a great educational experience. The guide was friendly and informative but rushed. The whole tour at Dzibulchaltun was rushed. Which I can understand since we still had the Merida City tour to do. The tour of Dzibulchaltun was nice and we did enjoy it. Once we got to Merida is were it all went wrong. The tour guide decided to separate our group and we got stuck in the town square. We stated in the square for at least 45 mins or so. Yes the square is nice but I paid for the city tour which we did not get. When back at the port I spoke to our guide about my disappoint and he was rude and told me just to come back again. Will not use this company again.

Reviewed 9 December 2017

The main problem, in my opinion, is that Carnival does not give enough information about what to expect if you leave the ship and have not booked an excursion through the ship. This is compounded by the fact that once off the ship you will need to ride the shuttle into Progreso or walk five miles down a pier. The shuttle provided by Grupo Auto is clean and safe and the driver was very courteous. The big surprise for the cruisers is that you will arrive at a bus station and before getting off you will be given a sales pitch for excursions operated by the shuttle company. Several of these are for the same destinations Carnival offers, but at a cheaper price. Others are for an open air type tour of Progreso or trips to Merida.
For travelers that have not experienced a typical working class Mexican town, Progreso may be a shock once you get off the bus and start down the streets.I found it to be much like the border towns I visited in the 1970's along the Texas border. My suggestion is that for a quick taste of the town if you have not made plans is to take the quick open air tour of the town and see what it is all about. That might be all you want to do and then head back to the ship.

1  Thank NTSU1975
Reviewed 9 December 2017

My wife and I cruise out of New Orleans every January. We've heard all the negative reviews about "ProGROSSo", but we love it. We always find Mario Lopez and he remembers us. We purchase our tickets from him and he guides us to the main bus station downtown. After a short wait, we are on our way to the TechnoHotel for a day of all-inclusive fun. Their website gives a great explanation of what to expect. The buffet is unlimited mexican snack which is plenty. The service is wonderful and the "quiet pool" is great for families. My wife always gets a massage on the beach and I relax while reading and snacking around the pool. We love it and look forward to it every year. The bus ride back is a little more adventurous!!! Many at the resort have participated in tequila shots all day long!!! Don't be the guy (or girl) who vomits on the bus while riding back to the ship....just sayin'

1  Thank William W
Reviewed 1 December 2017 via mobile

I enjoyed my experience and so did my brothers and friends! We had an awesome tour guide named Ivan and driver Tomas! Ivan was very informative and he went above and beyond to help us have a great experience! We arrived in Progreso on Carnival Triumph and we didn't have an excursion planned so we rode a bus into town and picked a combo tour at the bus stop. $39 to do both was worth the price! Having the right tour guide definitely makes the experience that much better. Wish I would have brought a bathing suit to swim in the cenote, but I was happy with just my feet and legs being in the water. Tour of Merida wasn't very long because we were all hungry at that point so we went to eat at a great restaurant. We then finished the tour of historic Merida buildings. I am glad we chose to do this!

1  Thank Devaney B