“Enchanting!”
Review of Luz En Yucatan

Luz En Yucatan
Ranked #2 of 106 Hotels in Merida
Reviewed 21 October 2009

What a quaint ,charming and wonderful hotel ! I had the pleasure of spending a month from Feb11 to Mar 11, 2009 at this charming place. I met wonderful people (guests) and the owners and employees were also charming ,helpful and entertaining!!! (Especially Don) . I really experienced the Yucatan and its charming people while having the impression of returning home to my quiet oasis everynight. The nightly free entertainment in the local parks was wonderful.
Keep up the excellent work Don & Tom

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank carmel8491
There are newer reviews for Luz En Yucatan

Reviewed 7 October 2009

I stayed at the Luz for 2 weeks while I worked and had dental appointments in Merida. This is a fabulous place - safe, comfortable, clean, affordable and friendly. I visited with many other guests as they came through during the 2 weeks - families, singles and couples. It is centrally located and as all the reviews state - the owners and staff are fantastic. Full of information and sincerely glad you are there. This is the 2nd time I've stayed at the Luz and I've been fortunate to be able to stay in 4 different rooms. All fantastic. From the cozy Casita with it's private balcony over the pool, to the grand Palacia that has a full kitchen and 3 beds and a balcony also over the pool. All were wonderful. It is peaceful. Behind those big doors on the street, is a very serene and beautiful hotel. You should stay there!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank LellieVye
Reviewed 6 October 2009

Pre story - I come from Denmark and are in general pretty risk averse by nature. So when my girl friend was orginally told that she was going to be send to Mexico for 8 months for her work, I thought oh no. I have been in Mexico City where she lives for 3 weeks now, and are staying here an additional 3 weeks. The first weekend we went to Acapulco on a resort vacation, and oh boy do not try out the Emporio in Acapulco, waste of money. This week we started our 9 days Yucatan trip, with 3 days in Merida at the Luz En Yucatan!

It was my girl friend who had planned the trip, and it was ment as a kinda colonial trip, where we should see some of the great ruins, cenotes and so on, the trip itself is like Merida - Valladolid - Tulum. For housing she had been looking for good deals with some B&B, and for our Merida stay she came up with Luz En Yucatan.

Right at this moment I am actually writting from our next destinations, Valladolid. The actual reason why I am writting is that I can't get the Luz En Yucatan stay out of my head. This place way exceeded my expectations for a B&B. First it has to be noticed that we had the place pretty much for ourselves due to it being off-season, financial crisis, swine-flue. When we arrived we had been 'upgraded' to a room in the 'pool-area' of Luz En Yucatan. The 'pool-area' is this small intimit, sweet garden with a nice clean cooled pool. So our 'view' from our room was excellent. The place had all necesseties, nice bath room, cooler in the rooms, air condition, tv with vide variety of channels and last but not atleast great beds and hammocks.

The host Tom, is a great guy that has great recommendations, his staff is so sweet and kind. During the days we where there we took a trip to Celestun, which is recommendable for it's great nature. On the final day we had a rental car and went to Uxmal. Tom had given us some great ideas for the trip so on our way down to Uxmal we stopped at the Hacienda Ochil which was the high light of the 3 days in Merida for me personally, beutiful, and the best authentic Mexican food I have had during my stay so far (and I mean the Mexican cusine is not heavenly, atleast in my objective, but this was). After our great lunch we went down to Uxmal, after seeing Uxmal we headed back, but Tom has a last surprice for us.

On the map (scetched on a piece of paper) of the Hacienda Ochil, was also a cenote, I have to confess I cannot remember the name of it, thou the experience is fresh in memory. Okay so the last surprice was the cenote, we decided to go there after Uxmal to finish of the day with a cold refreshing swin. Tom had told us about this 'adventure' of a cenote, and we thought of what the heck lets go for it. Telling the story it also needs to be said that Tom emphasized that it was ment as an adventure, so driving their on a scetched map, suddently in the middle of nowhere, with Mexicans with guns coming out of the bushes suddetly made sense. Oh boy did we have a laugh, when we finally found the cenote, it was pretty late in the afternoon thus the sun did not stand high on the sky, which ment that there was little light in the cenote, which made it more look like a huge black hole, with bats flying in and out, with the most terrifying ladder I have ever seen, no way in hell we were going down into that hole for a swin. But a great adventure it was, and we had a great time, felt like a very authentic adventure.

All in all Luz En Yucatan exceeded my risk averse expectationes, and it was a great base for us to travel around Merida from. If you need recommendationes or inspirations just ask Tom he is full of adventures.

Best Regards Jonas and Trine

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Dissay
Reviewed 3 October 2009

thanks to the owner, what a beautiful place we got in, big rooms in an old very nice reconstructed house, comunal kitchen , specially for us with young kids a big gift, nice pool in the quiet garden, lots of plants , and the hotel is right in the heart of Merida. Tom helped us out with his best turist tips, we got out to eat well,and saw some pecious places in and around Merida.
great time, we will be back
Aneke and Robbie, Marlon, Nemo, Jade

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank XibalbaTulum
Reviewed 2 October 2009

We've stayed twice now at Luz en Yucatan and would highly recomend this hotel. The rooms are huge, clean and oh so comfortable! The folks here are wonderful. Both Tom and Augustine will help and advise you with smiles always - in fact you will find that eveyone at Luz en Yucatan greets you with a smile.
Thanks to you all! Hope to see you again soon.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
3  Thank mob2010
Reviewed 7 September 2009

Hidden Gem Luz En Yucatan.

It is in a great location where you can easily walk around and experience the local cultural nights. The hotel also partners with a close by travel company where you can book trips to see the many nearby awesome ruins.

Upon checking in we were nervous because it is a door on the outside and you have to be buzzed in but we were pleasantly surprised because once we went in the decor and set up was awesome. It was also nice to know that we had such great security. The rooms were clean and very nice and having purified water jugs in your room is a nice touch.

This hotel is such a bargain and we were thoroughly impressed with the hotel staff, and the nice little tequila house bar they have.

Wish we could have stayed longer and will be looking forward to our return to LUZ someday!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mandaNricky
Reviewed 4 September 2009

This small hotel makes for a great base from which to explore Merida and the Mayan sites. It has a pool, wifi, large rooms, and some rooms have their own kitchens. Guests in rooms without kitchens can use a common area kitchen.

Tom, one of the owners, is very affable and helpful.

The rooms were exceptionally clean with strong AC units.

The hotel is in the process of rennovating some of its older rooms so the hotel may close for a period of time.

The hotel has a parking arrangement across the street that is easy, cheap, and convenient.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family