“Everything We Wanted and More”
Review of Luz En Yucatan

Luz En Yucatan
Ranked #3 of 103 Hotels in Merida
Regina
“Everything We Wanted and More”
Reviewed 9 January 2011

My wife and I stayed here last year when we were in Merida and were very happy with the experience, so when we planned another trip for Dec 2010 we wanted to stay here again. This place has an old Mexican feel, but has all the comforts and conveniences of a modern facility. We have now stayed in 5 different rooms at this hotel and enjoyed everyone. Each one has a different layout and decor, but all have great bathrooms. The last room was on the roof top and featured an outdoor kitchen with a private patio and hammock. Awesome! We also got a tour of the hotel’s new rental house just down the street. Renovations were just finishing and they were going to start renting it the next week. It was finished beautifully again with a blend of old and new. It would be great for a family or two couples. We will definitely look into renting it on another trip to Merida!!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
Toluca, Mexico
Reviewed 9 January 2011

Tom and Julissa are a great host and their place is so nice to stay in. the check in is so easy and they make you feel like home since you arrive there. not to mention the two beers that are waiting for you in the freezer!!!!!. the room was very cozy and comfortable with all the necessary things you need. so whenever you go to Merida don't hesitate and look for it you won't regret it.

Puerto Aventuras, Mexico
Reviewed 8 January 2011

I arrived late afternoon and was warmly greeted by Tom, the proprietor of this sanctuary of a hotel. After dropping my bags in my spacious room, decorated in Colonial style, I went out back to the pool under the royal palms and stuck my feet in the water. There were only 2 others taking the afternoon off at the pool, and a casual friendship ensued easily, lubricated by the offerings of the free bar table. Exploring the heart of the city was facilitated by the location and the suggestions of the office staff. Restaurants, museums, the zocolo (central square) just scant blocks away. Free music and folkloric dancing just steps from the front door, you can't do better! For sure I will be back! There is even a symphony orchestra in this historic town. Great hotel in a fabulous town.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
Vancouver Island, Canada
Reviewed 5 January 2011

I am not prone to writing on line reviews, but this unique little gem of a hotel has made me a fan. I had visited Merida once for a work conference years ago and knew I loved the city. After a bit of beach and Mayan ruin holidaying in the Yucatan, my 19 year old daughter and I opted to stay in the area for Christmas. I remembered liking Merida and thought it would be a good spot for Christmas. But choosing a place for Christmas is a bit high risk. It is an important day and anything going wrong will be memorable.

I took a chance, checked the Trip Advisor recommended hotels, and wrote an email to Tom at Luz en Yucatan and asked about Christmas plans. He was friendly and reassuring, so we booked.

What a great decision! Tom helped us find an English language Christmas eve service, helped us find the new Harry Potter movie at a local ciniplex (a good Christmas decision!), and helped in many ways to give us a great holiday. The recommendtion to go on an excursion to mangrove forests along the Gulf of Mexico coast was super. The sight of flocks of flamingos was fantastic. The warm and relaxed Luz en Yucatan atmosphere was condusive to striking up conversation and friendships. We enjoyed the company of other guests, loved the fact there was a free open bar (how do they do that?) and the quite beautiful hotel interior. (nicer than the photos on the website!)

This is one great little hotel in a very liveable and fun city. Thanks a million to Tom and all his helpful staff!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
Madison, WI
Reviewed 2 January 2011

This is an offbeat and slightly eccentric hotel but an excellent one. The owners respond to messages with promptness and courtesy and don't require deposits - they rely on you to let them know if your plans change. The night watchman was waiting for us at the door when we arrived at 11:00pm and got us settled comprehensively but not fussily. The rooms are all different - it's difficult to generalize - the two that our party used were both charming in their own ways. The morning after checking in, we paid for the stay, and owner Tom gave us a map of Merida and "cheat sheet" with local information - after his long experience as a tour guide he knows exactly the type of questions that guests ask. We consulted it constantly during our and couldn't think of anything else to ask! There is a full central kitchen that guests can use, and may did during our stay. There are some delightful touches - free tequila 24/7, a couple of cold beers in the fridge on arrival, purified water in rooms (essential in Mexico), ground coffee, free Internet. The pool is small but lovely. Location is superb. Our rooms were both quiet even though Merida is a noisy town.

The new owners took over a few years ago and made many improvements, so you can discount old reviews.

I can't wait to return.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 1 January 2011

What can I add to the many positive reviews? A great experience and wonderful value.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dallas-Voyageur
Merida, Mexico
Reviewed 29 December 2010

The owner Tom and his staff are some the best folks we met on our trip to Merida. And that is a great trick since everyone we met was great. I won't bore you with all the compliements about the Luz, but I have stayed alot of places in Mexico and this is one for its fine hospitality and location and sheer comfort is hard to beat. But please keep it to your self. I like to think I am the only one that knows about the place

1 Thank Glenndee