“Relaxing, beautiful home away from home”
Review of Casa Del Maya

Casa Del Maya
Ranked #1 of 80 Merida B&B and Inns
New York City
“Relaxing, beautiful home away from home”
Reviewed 17 November 2013

What a fabulous, special place to stay. Jordy and Steve truly made this a home away from home! They are so kind, warm, and detail oriented. They really want you to have a great time, from providing helpful suggestions to cooking delicious breakfasts, to keeping the place immaculate. When I stayed the room was brand new, and incredibly clean, beautiful and comfortable. They've decorated with beautiful, local Mexican furniture and textiles and put thought into things like comfy beds, nice sheets, strong a/c and wifi, good water pressure, etc. The pool is small but refreshing, with a nice bubbling fountain/waterfall (which is so peaceful when napping) in a beautiful courtyard. It's locating in a largely residential area, and the perfect place to relax, unwind, and crash after a hot day in Merida!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Jordy H, Owner at Casa Del Maya, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
We are so proud of our furniture. We found a great local carpenter who made it all by hand. He clearly cares about his craft, as do all the artisans who contributed to the great look and feel of Casa Del Maya.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 15 November 2013

This B&B truly exceeded expectation. From the moment we arrived, Jordy and Steve were there to answer questions, show us around the place, make recommendations for where to eat and drink. As far as hosts go, they are awesome!

The place itself is very cute and tastefully decorated. The outside dining area by the pool is so calm and serene. You're right in town but their property has lots of big trees and flowers around which make you feel like you're in a tropical paradise.

The room I stayed in was very comfortable and had everything I needed. I don't think I've ever described a bathroom sink as "lovely" but I did! There are lots of little touches here and there that make the place really cute -- including a hammock in the bedroom!

The hosts made us a really delicious breakfast -- one of the best I've had in a long time. The day I left I heard a rumor they were making fish tacos as well. I was bummed I missed it!

The location is excellent too. There's a cute local bar right across the street which I highly recommend for an afternoon beer and snack. The town center where all the action is happening is a short walk away, probably 10 minutes. Merida is very safe and I never felt in danger. I walked home alone one night and didn't feel threatened in anyway.

Lots to see in Merida, delicious food, incredibly nice people who are happy to have tourist. If you plan on hitting up Merida, definitely check to see if Jordy and Steve can host you because you won't regret it!

Jordy H, Owner at Casa Del Maya, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
We agree, Merida is a great place to visit. So much to see and do! And we are glad you liked Casa Del Maya. We do our best to make all our guests feel at home. Hope to see you soon!
Laguna Beach, California
Reviewed 14 November 2013

My colleagues and I booked almost the entire place for our stay in Merida. Everything, and I mean everything, was fantastic. Jordy and Steve and generous, kind, considerate, thoughtful and warm hosts. The rooms are comfortable, beautiful, thoughtfully decorated, breakfasts amazing, common areas welcoming and comfortable. We had so much fun here in their relaxing, Mexican retreat. Jordy and Steve are some of the nicest people - and did I mention the food? Fantastic place. Can't recommend it enough. Our colleagues who were not able to book here were very, very sad after seeing the place. Can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms have a lovely tree house feel, but they are all wonderful.
Jordy H, Owner at Casa Del Maya, responded to this review, 15 November 2013
We had such a great time, as well! Our goal is to make our guests feel at home, and we are so glad our guests feel at ease at Casa Del Maya. And breakfast is half our name, so we do our best to provide guests with a great start to their day.
Palm Springs, California
Reviewed 12 November 2013

We are just back from a one week stay at Casa Del Maya. The inn, and the gracious hosts, provide an experience more akin to staying in the home of dear friends than staying in a hotel or B & B. We so highly recommend Casa Del Maya that we've already booked our return visit in January!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Stephen W
Jordy H, Owner at Casa Del Maya, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
We're glad people feel at home at Casa Del Maya. We enjoy meeting new people and making new friends. The most wonderful, interesting people stay with us!
Beirut, Beyrouth, Lebanon
Reviewed 12 November 2013

We had a wonderful experience at Casa Del Maya; from the very beginning we were greeted by the wonderful Steve and Jordy, who took it upon themselves to make sure that we enjoy a great Merida experience, from offering maps and restaurant recommendations, to reminding us of staying hydrated and walking on the shady side of the street! Everything about this B&B is absolutely awesome: the Mayan mural at the entrance, the large, neat kitchen, the cute pool, the cozy, beautifully-decorated room (with a hammock inside!), not to mention the tasty breakfast (vegetarian options available)! If I'm ever back to Merida, Casa del Maya is going to be my #1 option.

PS - do not miss the yummy home-made cinnamon rolls for the world!

Jordy H, Owner at Casa Del Maya, responded to this review, 21 January 2014
We so enjoyed hosting your group at Casa del Maya and learning about each of your countries. We're happy the maps and restaurant info we gave you were helpful. One of the things we love about Merida is the range of activities available for our guests. So glad our tips were helpful. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 6 November 2013

My husband and I stayed at Casa Del Maya Oct. 18 - 22, 2013, and had a truly astounding experience. Steve and Jordy greeted us at the door with warm welcomes, brought us to a lovely quiet room overlooking the pool, provided bottled water, and gave excellent dinner recommendations. The room was immaculate, with an enormous raindrop shower and rich tilework - many thoughtful and creative touches. Each morning we were greeted with fresh coffees and teas, those famous cinnamon rolls, fresh fruits and a savory hot dish. Though just a comfortable 12-minute walk to Merida's center, the B & B is surprisingly quiet and relaxing. The outdoor pool was the perfect way to cool off after the heat of the day, with big fluffy towels always waiting poolside. Jordy and Steve are extremely knowledgeable, gracious, thoughtful and fun hosts, as were all other guests we encountered during our stay. They even scheduled a massage therapist to set appointments with several of us seeking spa treatment. And they were flexible, even providing breakfast when we were heading out early in the morning (we used Merida as a base for day trips to Mayan ruins, cenotes, and the Biosphere Reserve at Celestun - highly recommended for bird lovers!) We could see how much thought, attention, time and money went into the creation of this oasis, and it was greatly appreciated. We visit Mexico nearly each year, and will be looking forward to the next visit to Casa Del Maya in vivacious Merida!
James & Justin PS: I have been staying at B & Bs since the 1990s and rarely give 5 stars.

Room Tip: All rooms look terrific, but we particularly enjoyed our 2nd floor room with view of the pool and no...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Jordy H, Owner at Casa Del Maya, responded to this review, 8 November 2013
We are so happy our guests appreciate our location. Just a few blocks from many of the Centro parks, and only 3 blocks to magnificent Paseo Montejo, where you will find everything from ice cream to museum mansions to great restaurants, and even the funkiest home store you'll ever see. Then back to Casa Del Maya for a peaceful night's sleep and a complete breakfast to start off your day. Thanks so much for choosing Casa Del Maya.
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 30 October 2013

I have only been staying in B&B's for the past 5 years and this was hands down the nicest I have experienced. It has it all. Ambiance, cleanliness, service, great breakfast, tour recommendations and location. If I hadn't heard so much about Mexican prisons I would have tied to smuggle some of those cinnamon rolls out of the country.

We visited ruins, a Hacienda, the beach, and more all recommended to us by the Jordy & Steve, the more than accommodating proprietors. Great sleeping and the rain showers have looking at Home Depot for one of my own.

I can't say enough about how happy we were with our stay.
Oh...
wait...
I can say a little more.
Staying at B&B's with other guests has always been a pass them in the night experience. The way Casa Del Maya has their breakfast area set up afforded us the opportunity to converse with others from around the world and the U.S..

We were on the go this trip but I can see myself coming back for a little R&R. It's got it all.

Room Tip: From what I saw, and and all would do nicely.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends