“Very Friendly Folks”

Merida English Library House & Garden Tours
Ranked #12 of 40 Tours in Merida
More attraction details
Owner description: The El Centro House & Garden Tour, operated by the non-profit Merida English Library, offers an opportunity to explore the Soul of El Centro! See behind the closed doors! Merida's Historic Center is the 3rd. largest in the Western world, and has recently seen a renaissance in renovation. Tour both grand & modest houses, as well as those "in progress". Expert tour guides provide a 30-minute orientation regarding Merida architectural history before touring four (4) properties. Walking Tour leaves from The Merida English Library, EVERY TUESDAY, October thru April, and lasts until noon. Arrive between 9 - 9:30A.M. to enjoy complimentary coffee & pastries in the shaded Library patio. Cost is 200 pesos, and all proceeds benefit Merida English Library programs. Reservations unnecessary, but appreciated.
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Went by this AM just to snoop around and found a wonderful library in a converted home. The volunteers were very friendly and helpful, taking the time to speak to us about the library and living in Merida. Not just for those who live here but a nice visit for tourists also, see what they have accomplished with volunteer power and donations..

Reviewed 6 March 2014

The MEL home and garden tour is an excellent opportunity to find out first hand the mysteries hidden behind the facades of those beautifully painted homes. A great resource of people to help answer those curious questions about all the fuss prompting Americans, Canadians, etc to come take a look see in the most intriguing hidden city in Mexico. I have been on three tours of homes and something new each time. I would highly recommend you make the tour part of your fact finding adventure. The people are wonderful and always very kind and helpful. Thank you for all you do to help. I love Merida and my new home here!

1  Thank Leslie B
Reviewed 4 March 2014

My husband & I were very keen to take the house & garden tour to see what lay behind the mysterious walls of the houses in Merida. We got to the English Library a bit early for the start time. People kept pouring into the garden behind the library. There were at least 70 people that showed up for the tour. The co-coordinator split the people into 2 groups. The first group left about 20 minutes before the second group.

We saw a very high scale home worth several million dollars. We were not allowed to take photos there as it had just sold. Too bad as it had some great decorating ideas. They had the same tile that we just put in our bathroom shower on most of their floors in the house & in all the bathrooms & showers. This place was a real showstopper.

We saw a very open-concept place that a artist couple owned. They rent the main space to hold events in like weddings, art shows, grand dinners, cocktail parties, etc, They had their beds suspended from beams with sisal ropes. Very unique. It is for sale for $369,000.

The third house was about half as grand as the first house. The people forgot that the tour was coming through that day. Their servant let us in. The wife was surprised to see 35 people in her house when she came home for yoga! All the owners were for gracious to everyone.

I would highly recommend that everyone who comes to Merida take this tour. It is really worth doing. The 3 houses are different on each tour. I would go again & again.

Reviewed 20 February 2014

We did the house and garden tours several times and truly enjoyed seeing the wonderful homes behind the doors. It is a must to see when in Merida.

Reviewed 19 February 2014

Yesterday I attended my first house tour from the Merida English Library (MEL). It began with an informative short lecture about the history of art and architecture in Merida with free scones and coffee in their lovely terrace. We then divided in 2 groups and hit the streets. I'm told each week, there are visits to different houses so this is something many people do again and again. This week we visited 5 houses in the Santiago district and were allowed to just wander around on our own and ask questions. Some of the houses were stunning and several were for sale with listing sheets for those interested. I have no interest in buying but getting to see how different people have renovated these old homes was really fun and all monies are donated to the library which provides wonderful services to not only local expats but Mexicans as well.

1  Thank smadrigan