“Nice hotel but restaurant dissapointing”
Review of Wyndham Merida

Wyndham Merida
Ranked #26 of 105 Hotels in Merida
Reviewed 7 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the White Town Hotel and was really dissapointed with the restaurant. Service was good but the food does not match up with previous reviews I've read on tripadvisor. The menu boasting to serve both 450g rib eye and 800g tomahawk steaks, I assumed the chefs would be experienced in cooking the steaks to rare, medium or well done, but this was not so. The 2 steaks my partner and I ordered came out well done, even though I requested 'rare' and my husband requested 'medium rare'. I stupidly sent mine back to the kitchen to be recooked and a new steak was returned blue with a cold centre. I then asked for it to be cooked for an additional minute. Finally when it was returned, it was covered in grill debris with the occasional crunch. Feeling a little concerned and unsure, I pretty much left my meal as it was. Paid and left. After a little research, it seems that Mexicans eat their steak well done, with little variation. Had I known this before, I would have chose another less expensive type of meat. But alas I though the hotel restaurant that is part of Hilton group would have trained its kitchen staff to meet international standards. But lesson learn. Don't order steak in Mexico, or perhaps do your research. The sides and entree were not very favourable either. The mash was chunky and the meals did not meet any menu descriptions. Maybe the main chef was away, but I suggest, if you stay at the Hotel, give the restaurant a miss unless you are lookin for a medioca experience.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Happidaiz7
EduardoMartinez1416, Director General at Wyndham Merida, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2013

Dear Guest: Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your recent visit to this beautiful city. Your comments are much appreciated by us to improve day by day.
I offer an apology for not fulfilling a basic requirement as the cooking of steaks, I'll check with our chef personally to prevent this from recurring in the future.

We hope in the near future in this home in Merida.

Eduardo Martínez
Director Hotel
WT Hotel
White Town Hotel

Reviewed 9 October 2013

We stayed three nights at the White Town hotel in Merida. We found the staff to be very friendly and helpful, and the room was very comfortable, with all the amenities. We especially liked the numerous empty electrical outlets (often hard to find) for charging our devices. The free WiFi was excellent, too.

While it is not that close to the center of town, it is possible to walk and the taxi ride is only about 40 pesos. The neighborhood is safe for walking, and even after midnight walking to the Oxxo convenience store about 4 blocks away we felt safe.

We found breakfast to be a little slow and not extraordinary, but it was fine, and a lunch we had was very nice.

One note - at this writing there is no sign with the hotel name, but the covered "Doubletree" sign shows lit at night. Taxi drivers don't know White Town, but tell them Hilton or Doubletree and they know just where to go.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank erklein

ear Guest: Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your recent visit to this beautiful city. Your comments are much appreciated by us to improve day by day, really appreciate the time it took to send it.

We hope in the near future in this home in Merida.

Eduardo Martinez
Director Hotel
WT hotel
White Town Hotel.

Reviewed 13 May 2013

We spend tree nights at this hotel, the staff it´s just amazing; my girlfriend prepare a surprise for my birthday and they help her in every detail. We also highly recommend to try the restaurant, the executive chef Carlos Olvera and his team surprise us with a real gastronomic experience: the fusion of local Mexican food with an European touch. Gracias a todos!

Room Tip: Ask for a street view or to the pool.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Pandushka
Reviewed 25 April 2013

We stayed 8 nights at the Beautiful DoubleTree Merida Hotel and was very pleased with our room and service. The room was very nice and clean with flat screen tv. The entire grounds was kept immaculant. The staff was truely amazing and very helpful with local advice that turned out to be great, just as they described. They truely made you feel at home. It is close to centro Merida, downtown market, shopping and places to eat within walking distance. We had room service several times and was very pleased with the food and service. We already talking about a return trip soon and DoubleTree Merida will be our choice again. Thanks for a Wonderful stay!! The Fontana's

Room Tip: Our room #327 faced the front of the hotel overlooking a cool old home. We enjoyed the room and had...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ctfontana
Reviewed 14 April 2013

The first thing that will grab you is the warm welcome you receive from all staff. The hotel is very quiet with comfortable rooms and a very nice bathroom. The rooms were clean and the bed comfortable. The hotel is a bit far from the city centre for walking but taxis are cheap and this is a VERY safe city. The hotel has a nice bar area and nice pool. There are restaurants walking distance from the hotel. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Weerobbie
Reviewed 12 April 2013

Very pleased with this hotel, particularly given the price, as it definitely stacked up to other Doubletrees that I have stayed in. The rooms were lovely, and it had a nice pool area. It's a little far from the centre if your main aim to is to sightsee, but the walk isn't too long and Merida felt very safe even walking around after dark. It was a shame that there was no usual Hilton buffet breakfast here. It made breakfast quite expensive (and take a long time) and the usual staples that we got for free elsewhere actually didn't compare too favourably with other hotels such as thin orange juice and cold hard toast. Other things that we ordered were nice though.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank senaUk
Reviewed 19 March 2013 via mobile

I can't say enough good things about my recent stay at this hotel.
From the moment we arrived (about 10pm) the staff went out of their way to be helpful and make us feel welcome.
Diego in particular went above and beyond.
Even at that late hour he made sure we had a tour to Chichen Itza booked for the following morning.
The room was beautiful, great view, very comfy bed.
I cant wait to return and stay there again!
A big thank you to all of you at the Double Tree Merida!

• Stayed: March 2013