“Centrally located and friendly owners”

Hotel Villa Verde Merida
Ranked #2 of 85 Merida B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 May 2013 via mobile

Rob and Michael are the perfect hosts. The place was a bit hard to find given that there is no sign outside, bit once you are there, it is like an oasis in the middle of the city!

The pictures do not do the place justice. Beautifully renovated and the attention to details make this location a "must stay".

Rob and Michael are extremely friendly and offer great suggestions for things to do in and around the city.

As well, if you have time, male sure to indulge yourself in the services of Felipe: he is the owner of a spa nearby but provides on the site visits if you ask for it.

All in all, the B&B alone would make me wan to revisit Merida!

• Stayed: May 2013
There are newer reviews for Hotel Villa Verde Merida

Reviewed 26 May 2013

I stayed at Villa Verde with my boyfriend in April, 2013. When we arrived, the other four guest rooms were booked by guests of a very prestigious wedding that was going on at the time, so we shared the house with some pretty well-known people who, like us, preferred to stay someplace small. Villa Verde has the warmth and personal feel that the best small properties do, and it also has a degree of conviviality that isn't always a given. Cocktail hour was a very social event, and we made friends with other guests throughout our stay. Merida is a big expat community, and Villa Verde seems to be a big part of that. Neighbors would come by for cocktails and invite us to come see the new renovations on their property; we made dinner and drinks plans with other guests; I met a friend of a friend at the property; we later found ourselves on the same Platino bus to Cancun as one of the neighbors. The connections were uncanny and the friendly atmosphere was unparalleled.

The property itself is beautiful. It's hard to overstate how hot Merida can get, so it's very nice to step inside the carriage doors and feel the cool pasta tiles underfoot (I never wore shoes inside the property-- the floors were immaculate and the whole place felt casual and homelike). The rooms are a very modern design combined with strong influences such as custom bronze chandeliers and massive wooden tables. It's a nice contrast with the colonial architecture and pasta tile floors. The pool is perfect, in sun pretty much all day, and a nice temperature-- cool, not freezing.

The location is ideal, in the Santa Ana neighborhood, in the Centro. FYI, the cab driver from the airport was confused by my use of the neighborhood. He thought I specifically meant the park. When I saw that we were near, I specified the address and he got really really confused, like he thought I was changing destinations on him. It's better just to give the streets.

Robert and Michael were excellent hosts; they more than accommodated all of our needs and wants during our visit, and I wouldn't hesitate to stay with them again. Archie, the adorable little dog, was another part of this super-friendly place. If you sit down on a chaise, expect him to hop up next to you within minutes. And then to begin a gradual process of snuggling alongside you.

I can't say enough how much I enjoyed staying here. We went from here to the Viceroy, near Playa del Carmen, and I can honestly say that this experience was far more enjoyable to me, for a fraction of the cost.

Last tip: if you are remotely prone to mosquito bites, you need to bring your own insect repellent to the Yucatan. There is nothing available with DEET (and I was here for a month-- I looked everywhere and asked everyone). It's all essential oil based and completely useless. Bring Off. Not kidding.

Oh, I almost forgot, these are some of the best mattresses I've ever slept on. Insanely comfortable. Sleep was easy here.

Reviewed 24 May 2013

This was our first time to Merida and we can tell you it definitely won't be our last thanks to Michael and Robert at Villa Verde. From the moment we walked in we were simply blown away by the beauty and style of the place but moreover by its wonderful owners who treated us like family. Clearly so much thought has gone into every detail of the beautiful design and decor - from the artisan toiletries to the supremely comfortable beds (Michael admitted to being a bit of a bed-snob - and it shows!). They had of great recommendations and had thought of everything. They have map of their favourite restaurants + bars, but are always happy to sit with you and help plan your Merida itinerary - they happily organised a day trip tailored to our specifications. And when they were too busy with work on Sunday to take their box seats at the symphony, they offered us their tickets. Just amazing! Villa Verde were fantastic about any extra services we needed, from laundry to getting our broken luggage stitched up.
The location is ideal - equidistant from Paseo and Centro. We walked everywhere, this is such a great base from which to see Merida - we came for 3 nights and ended up staying 5...
Wish we could be there now, we'll be back soon to enjoy another happy hour margarita! Look no further, THIS is where you want to stay in Merida.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 May 2013

Cannot recommend this place enough - absolutely stunning Villa in a great location in central Merida. Photos don't really do it justice, stepping into the central courtyard for the first time really is a 'wow' moment (and it really helps that it's always several degrees cooler than out on the street!). Rooms are stylish and comfortable, and it's great to hang out by the pool in this little oasis away from the hustle and bustle of the streets. But most of all, this place is made by Bob and Michael, the marvellous hosts, whose advice and attentive, friendly, hospitality is always welcome - especially at the daily evening happy hour. And I must add special praise for the amazing breakfasts! If you're even considering heading to Merida, this place should make the decision easy.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 May 2013

I just spent a week here with my partner. We've stayed at many different places around the Centro, and I can tell you that this place is a standout. I can see why it's already topping the TripAdvisor charts.

The place has only a handful of rooms, but is set on a large property, so you always have lots of space to move, and yet feel that you're in an intimate environment. The site is elegant, even glamorous. It's spotless, tasteful and comfortable as well; three things you can't take for granted in Merida. Michael and Robert are affable, attentive and professional, absolutely delightful to talk to, whether you're just shooting the breeze or in looking for travel tips.

The owners have two major advantages: Michael's obviously applying his experience as a Westin hotels executive; and they created Villa Verde from the good bones of a marvelous casona (large house) not too far from the main square and the restaurants. The old casona is in good hands.

Room Tip: How to choose? There's a garden room in the rear, which is a little more out of the way, but I l...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 May 2013

The city of Merida has a quite different feeling from many other Mexican cities. There was great wealth in the city in the 1880's produce from the growing and manufacture of hemp in the surrounding haciendas. Many of which have been beautifully restored. This wealth was displayed in the mansions built on Paseo Montejo. But there is so much more to see in Merida and the place to stay while you are exploring is Villa Verde; a delightfully restored house close to the City Center. The owners Michael and Robert are on site and are very helpful in recommending restaurants (very good) and walks in the old part of town. AND they also prepare really great breakfasts!
If you are looking to stay in Merida do not go past Villa Verde!

Reviewed 7 May 2013

I stayed in Merida recently and because of my dislike of large impersonal hotels, spent some time searching for a place more to my liking.
I was very lucky to find "Villa Verde"! The property is a delight. Its understated refinement draws attention to the beauty of the house and creates a tranquil place to return to after exploring this beautiful city.
"Villa Verde" is very well located; it is an easy walk to the Zocalo, the Plaza of Santa Lucia and close by Paseo Montejo.
To add further to the pleasure of "Villa Verde", the breakfasts are delicious and artfully presented.
In sum, the owners, Michael and Robert have done a great job and I heartily recommend "Villa Verde" as the place to stay on a visit to the City of Merida.