Las Arecas
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Merida
See available hotels
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Hotel Colon(Merida)
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Hotel Zamna(Merida)
View Hotel
All reviewsbeautiful colonial houseevery morningguest roomswe've stayedwonderful hostsmaurototoplazamexicocourtyard
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 7 July 2010

I stayed at Las Arecas for five days in late November 2009 to see some Mayan sites. The place is very simple, basic, clean and good for budget accommodations. There is no desk or lobby, but there is large full kitchen (that wasn’t spotless but usable) and dining table. My room was large (had a kitchen type sink, countertop, and small table and chairs), clean and simple. The bathroom was simple but fine and with plenty of hot water. Mauro, the owner, and another gentleman that looks after the place were friendly and helpful. The location is in central Merida, close to the main square, lots of places to eat, and a 20 minute walk to the main bus station. The Xumal is truly amazing and the other Route Puuc Mayan sites are fascinating and let you feel like a 19th century archaeologist seeing it for the first time.

Stayed: November 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank lapope
Reviewed 3 July 2010

We booked 3 nights in Las Arecas over the internet with Mauro. His communication was excellent.

When we got there after a long drive the old man who answered the door had no record of us and wouldn't even let us through the door to wait while he checked with his son by phone, consequently we were left carrying bags on the doorstep. When he returned he said he did have record of us but unfortunately the electricity was broken so we couldn't have the room. This was also why he hadn't emailed (despite the tv working in the background!). He gave us the number to ring at 10am next day to see if it was fixed (coincidently this is their checkout time!). When we rang back the next day, out of a sense of duty to the old man who had seemed nice, we were told there was no electricity problem, they were full. Looks like we were lied to!!

Don't trust these guys to keep your booking for you. If you do book here make sure you have a fall back plan. We ended up staying at Casa Ana's (which the old man told us had closed!) which was lovely.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank fazzwaldo
Reviewed 19 April 2010

We stayed at Las Arecas for three nights at the end of March. We were looking for an authentic colonial guesthouse and we were not dissapointed. We really loved it! We had the Ta'an-Kab Room, in the back of the property, which is very quiet and pleasant. Las Arecas is very clean, confortable and definetely offers great value for money. Mauro is very helpful and willing to lend a hand.
Las Arecas is located in the heart of Merida, just blocks away from historic places and traditional restaurants. You can walk late in the evening without any problems.
We would definetely recommend Las Arecas for its colonial charm, location and value.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 March 2010

Fresh back from Merida! Booked 7 nights at Las Arecas based on reviews here and elsewhere. I give Las Arecas an “excellent” rating for the category of accommodation that it is; a no frills, basic accommodation, and gay-friendly guesthouse, centrally located -- walking distance to everything. Mauro, Raul and Pepe were super and made us feel right at home! The rooms were large, clean and comfortable. As for concerns regarding payment and refund policy, we paid total cost upfront via PayPal with no problem and yes they do have a 50% cancellation refund policy, which was a non-issue considering the affordable rates. All our reservation communication w/Mauro was via email and yes there was a day lost here or there -- we just figured it was Mexico time : )

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 March 2010

LAS ARECAS:-)
I walked in as if I was a guest of the house.. and stayed in a room/little house by myself on a back.
I had my own private garden with internet, sun, fresh coffee and a cat.
My room had all I needed! I felt great there. It was so calm and nice and any questions I had, any problem I had to solve, I had a great help from the owners.

Las Arecas is close to Everything but not in the middle of everything and that is so perfect!

I would always recommend this nice place to any of my friends:-)

I felt that I was in a real thing back in time.. time traveling... with all the things modern life can offer:-)
Across the street there are: beauty parlor, optique and a coffee shop.
I used them all......