“We're Back!!!”
Review of Casa Isabel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Merida
Casa Isabel
Ranked #54 of 86 Merida B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Of course we came back. Our first experience was so fun, we had to experience it again. It was just a mini vacation this time. I had to get away with my hubby and Sergio and the pups didn't disappoint. Again the room was wonderful, clean and air conditioned. Our drink was waiting for us when we arrived and Sergio was very helpful and sat around the pool with us. I highly recommend B&B Casa Esperanza Inn for a friendly, comfortable experience....we'll be back again Sergio & Claudette xx

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 2 April 2013

The house is in a quiet street, only a few blocks from the Zocalo and not far from the main market. I was hot and tired when I arrived at Casa Esperanza; the door was opened by Sergio the owner and I was ushered into an oasis of loveliness. This is a private house, colonial and on a huge scale but with only three guest rooms (I think), there was one other couple staying when I was there and their room was at the other end of the pool, so I had this beautiful mansion practically to myself.

My room was a wonder.Ceilings 15 foot high. i don't think I exaggerate- I have been trying to estimate; the doors must be at least ten feet tall and there is a good five feet of wall above them. There is a frieze of flaming hearts with angels wings, and roses around the top of the walls, a chandelier, a gorgeous wrought iron four poster bed with a border of lace. The bathroom boasts the most sumptuous stained glass window of a mermaid. There is a handsome wardrobe and dressing table. I felt like a princess.There is a fan and an air-conditioning unit in the room.

Wifi doesn't work in the room on account of the thickness of the walls, but there was a table and chairs and just outside and it is lovely to sit there with a view of the pool and the garden, sometimes with the company of the three dogs who are beautifully behaved. There are also two or three cats, usually basking on tables or under chairs and a shy tortoise. Casa Esperanza is part family home part palace.

A typical breakfast, which I ate in the company of the other couple, consisted of granola, a large plate of fruit - mangos, melon, pineapple, water melon, yoghurt, several different kinds of bread roll, and muffins. A jug of strawberry, banana and mango juice and lots of coffee. The breakfast room looks out on the pool and surrounding patio garden. It couldn't be lovelier.. Sergio always spent breakfast chatting to us. He very good company and exceptionally kind and helpful. His wife Claudette, was away when I was there so I didn't meet her. I made the bookings with her and she was friendly and helpful too.

I loved staying there and I would heartily recommend it to anybody, especially if you'd like to pretend to be a princess,

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 March 2013

Thank you Sergio for our stay at your lovely home. We enjoyed your charming home so much, I wish I could live there. It really is a tropical oasis in the middle of the city. Our room was very nice and beautifully decorated. Thank you so much for the lovely breakfasts.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 February 2013

We stayed a week at Esperanza with Sergio and all the pets and were extremely happy. In a restored colonial mansion it's a laid back place, which is exactly what we like. Only a five minute walk to the very center of town but it is very quiet.

The ensuite rooms are private and beautifully decorated, the bed very comfortable.

A special place is the huge tropical courtyard with a swimming pool that is swimmable rather than a splash pool. A bonus is always having Kai, the youngest lab, keeping you company. It's obvious all the pets are well loved and always picked up after. Having multiple pets ourselves it felt much more like home.

A very good breakfast is varied day to day; juice, coffe, cereal, danish, muffin, yogurt.

Sergio, the owner, speaks perfect English, is very friendly, and helpful in his suggestions getting guests to where they want to go and what they want to do. We felt, somewhat, he became as much a friend as a host, which, in hindsight, is an excellent characteristic for a BandB owner.

We would want to stay again.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 January 2013

I stayed with my partner and we absolutely loved it. I know one reviewer below complained about the animals and the smell but for us the animals made our trip even better. The dogs and cats are very cute and Sergio makes sure he cleans up after them as soon as possible. The B&B is charming, the central courtyard and pool beautiful and the room we stayed in gorgeous and clean. Sergio is incredibly helpful and Casa Esperanza has a good location, central yet quiet. Thank you!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 January 2013

My partner and I are frequent users of Trip Advisor and have to say the reviews ofCasa Esperanza are spot on!

The B&B is in a great location and the breakfast is amazing. Fresh fruit, coffee and bread each morning is exactly the way we like to start our day.

Only downside is if you are not an animal lover. There are 3 lively labradors and many cats on the property. Whilst the owners do keep them under control, they are allowed to get into the pool so we never used it.

The rooms were lovely and met our needs.

I couldn't have asked for a better place and it certainly helped us enjoy all Merida had to offer.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 January 2013

I'd like to start by saying that this review is reflective only of our experience during our recent 3 day stay, and I don't believe that it is reflective of how Claudette and Sergio have run this B&B over the years. However, I can only review the experience we had.

The Not-So-Good

When we arrived about 45 minutes after the arrival time I had given Claudette, we spent almost 30 minutes knocking on the front door and ringing the bell. We could hear the dogs barking but no other noise and no one answered. I walked into the store across the street to see if they had a phone number for the B&B. Finally, we almost checked into the hotel a few doors down to the right for the night, as we had no idea what was going on. Luckily I came back to check one last time before paying up for the night, and saw Sergio standing at the door. He said he'd heard us only the last time we rang the bell. Anyway, this was not a pleasant way to start the trip-- after a long journey to get there, to feel like we are stranded in a new city. We did not want to argue so we said OK, lets go in, although we could not understand how it was possible that he did not hear us earlier with the loud knocking, bells ringing and dogs barking, as he said. After this first issue, we had no problems with Sergio at all, and he seems to be a good person and very helpful, but this impacted the overall experience we had.

The only other thing we did not like was the smell around the pool area. We understand and knew beforehand that there are pets (and we have our own at home so we enjoyed them), but did not anticipate the smell or know that the pets stay confined indoors all day and do their business around the pool. Sergio did mention that their regular full time staff member has been gone recently, and with Claudette being gone as well due to a family emergency, perhaps all the cleaning up fell behind. Waking up in the morning and stepping out of the room to see dog poop by the pool was not very pleasant, and as a result of all this, we did not feel like using the pool at all. Having staffing issues is understandable, but as paying guests, one is paying for what is promised and expected, and the pool was a big reason for me picking Casa Esperanza.

The Good

Sergio is a good host, he had breakfast for us as promised every day and was very helpful when my wife got sick for a day. The bedroom was clean and comfortable, and the bathroom was sufficient as well. The property is truly beautiful, calm and in a great location, the internet worked well.

Claudette was extremely apologetic after I contacted her a few days ago. She called me to say how sorry she was and she insisted on refunding all of our money, without me asking for it. I can tell that she takes this very seriously and personally, and that they are genuinely good people. Based on this gesture on her part, I am sure that they will quickly fix the issues to bring the B&B back to what it's been in the past.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ATLbrownd