“Helpful staff & nice evening salsa/cooking/live music”
Review of Nomadas Hostel

Nomadas Hostel
“Helpful staff & nice evening salsa/cooking/live music”
Reviewed 2 September 2013 via mobile

A good hostel with a nice pool but unfortunately the private rooms with shared bathrooms weren't great.
We only stayed one night because the room with private bathroom wasn't available for two nights. We planned to stay in a private room with shared bathroom the following night but it is inside the mixed dorm (bit hard to explain- it had walls but would mean walking through the dorm) so it seemed a bit pointless.
The pool is great and the proper private room was nice. It's also nice that they have salsa and cooking lessons as well as live music. And the staff are really helpful!
It's not cheap really for privates. The place we stayed in after had more hotel like qualities but less of the fun side of hostels. I'd definitely stay here again, and recommend it, to stay in a dorm or in the private with bathroom.

• Stayed August 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 27 August 2013

The hostel itself has a very earthy, comfy atmosphere, it's spacious and apart from having plenty of hammocks, a pool and cool garden, it offers classes for guests (yoga, cooking, salsa, etc..) It also has enough benches, couches and tables. In general, plenty of space to chill outside the dorms, which is perfect considering the dorms themselves are slightly below average quality. The rooms have enough space but the beds are not too comfy... The staff is very friendly and willing to make suggestions about nearby attractions and tours. Well worth the price :)

Room Tip: You would get a little more privacy with the rooms in the back.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
London
Reviewed 26 August 2013

We stayed in a private room here. Everything was broken or ripped and it wasn't particularly clean either. We had problems unlocking our door a couple of times and the staff made us feel like a massive irritation.

The room was way too hot, the sheets ripped and unclean looking, the water pressure terrible and it ran out of hot water everyday. I didn't really enjoy Merida which was disappointing as we were really looking forward to it, and I do think that the accommodation had a lot to do with it.

I have to say that the staff know how popular this place is so they make no effort to be friendly or helpful. I agree that the set up makes this a 'fun' place to stay but in terms of the quality of service and rooms and dorms it fails.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed 22 August 2013

I stayed there with a friend for one night in August 2013 and we had a great stay. We booked a private room with ensuite bathroom but actually ended up having a dorm for ourselves because it was fresher and better ventilated which was really nice.
The hostel is charming, really great atmosphere and a nice pool (the pictures actually are quite honest). The breakfast is basic but nice, the staff is helpful and they have parking spaces. It's also close from the centre.

Every experience is different but ours was great.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Croydon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2013

Found this to be a nice hostel. I was staying in the 12 bed mixed dorm (although not fully occupied) which was quite spacious. Beds weren't the most comfortable in the world - the top bunk wobbles when either you or the person below moves even slightly - but the dorm has individual fans and air con (although only one unit for a rather large room). On the plus side, the hostel provides some free activities - cooking classes, salsa lessons, yoga. Breakfast is included and was decent enough - toast, cereal, fruit and coffee. Free wifi and drinking water always available. Biggest plus for me was the pool area - a beautiful garden, lovely to swim in the pool to cool down and/or relax in the surrounding garden. Staff were generally helpful, if not always the most friendly. About 10 minutes walk from the central plaza.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 August 2013 via mobile

I read all these reviews and this place came highly recommended from other travellers so my experience there really confuses me. I didn't get the chance to see or experience staying in a private room and maybe this would have given me a different opinion. However staying in the dorm was quite uncomfortable. Walking in to this massive dorm room I felt like I was walking into an oven. The further back your bed is the hotter and stuffier it gets. The back part of the dorm does have an air conditioner which didn't get turned on at all on my first night there. On night two I was told it would be turned on by 8.30pm and turned off at 9 in the morning. At 10pm, after asking twice it finally got turned on. By the time I got up at 7am it was off again and back to being a sauna. The showers and several toilets were quite dirty, with hair stuck in the drains, all of which was still there on the second day. I had a squished skittle that was stuck to the floor next to my bed for both days, so maybe the cleaners just don't make it all the way to the last bed in the dorm. The water in the pool was milky, so I never went in. The place actually looks nice and the set up encourages socialising, they have a kitchen and fridges and offer cooking and yoga classes but the cleanliness really put me off. The staff was mostly friendly although somewhat hesitant to help when my friend lost a bag and required to call a local office. I hope that we just caught them on a bad day but I would not go back there if I had the choice.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 15 August 2013 via mobile

We came here because of everyone raving about this place but unfortunately didn't have a great experience. The all girls dorm we stayed in had close to 30 beds, so feels more like a barn. Due to its high ceilings, heat just collected and it was warmer than an oven in there which made sleeping really uncomfortable. In the 2 days we stayed the showers weren't cleaned and hair and a squashed piece of soap all over one of shower floors was still there the next evening- maybe cleaning happens at irregular intervals, but in a dorm of 30 beds, I find that unacceptable. The pool that everyone raves about was murky and unappetising, so neither of the three of us went in even though we were desperate to cool off from the Merida heat in summer. The place itself has a lovely set up, and if everything had been clean and appetising our experience may have been quite different, but unfortunately it's left an unpleasant taste in our mouths.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends