“A rejuvenating and memorable oasis!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Merida
Los Arcos Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #7 of 85 Merida B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 March 2008

One's first impression of Los Arcos in Merida, Mexico, is, like the city itself, deceptively simple. Like most of its companions on the relatively quiet street in the old "Centro" district of the city, the facade is simple and elegant. The true treasures that await are revealed, gradually and cumulatively, only once the massive polished wood door is opened, and one is welcomed into the inner sanctum by the equally elegant and gracious host, David. The word "treasures" is apt. One is immediately surrounded by them: a lavish profusion of antiques and art in a setting of architectural splendor belied by the sober exterior.

One's progress through the main house presents a gentle unfolding of beauty and taste. In our case, on a visit in February, our "progress" was delightfully relieved by meeting "the children", three endearingly affable dogs and a somewhat more aloof panther-esque black cat, not to mention a proffered refreshment, which was most welcome after the long drive from the transparently more "glitzy" and superficial tourist haven of Cancun.

After we had decelerated to a more genteel tempo appropriate to Los Arcos, David guided us past the jewel-like, blue tiled pool and through the lushly verdant walled garden to one of the two guest rooms nestled cozily at the rear of this little Eden. I must admit that, after the grandeur of the house, I expected the guest room to be something of a let-down. It was not, in any respect. If you are accustomed to bland, boring and generically homogenized lodging, a la Holiday Inn, you won't find it here. The room was tastefully and comfortably appointed, with clear attention to every detail, the beds caressingly enticing, the bathroom suite opulent. Everything was immaculately clean and in its proper place. In short, it was a sanctuary of peaceful serenity.

As I said, the treasures of Los Arcos are revealed gradually and cumulatively. Have I mentioned breakfast? This event, which, in the course of our four-day stay, became a kind of daily and much anticipated ritual, was served up alfresco in the walled garden. This, in itself, was a delight, having just escaped from the icy grip of a Pennsylvania winter. But it doesn't end there. We were treated to a changing and titillating repast prepared daily to order by cook and general factotum, Alberto. In all things, I noted, Alberto performed his good office with a quiet, courteous and unassuming competence. He added yet one more dimension to the overall great pleasure of our visit.

I have but one complaint about Los Arcos: that it was, ultimately, time to pack up and leave. I have been a temporary resident in a great many hostelries in many parts of the world. This is one of the rare few where I can say, with conviction, that I actually felt at home (well, better than home, actually). Thank you, David!

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank KashaGreeneCounty_PA

Reviewed 19 March 2008

We stayed two nights at Los Arcos B&B following the good reviews we read in TripAdvisor. The room and house were exactly what we were looking for: a quite, charming, tastefully decorated and warm place which made us feel we were in Mexico! We loved the place!! Not only it was the cosy place we were after, but the whole thing was perfectly equipped (perfect hot water flow, pleasant fans, aircon, …) and kept.

Not to mention the breakfast!! By far the best breakfast we had in our two-weeks trip across Yucatan, one of those that keeps you going for the whole day, I still dream about the Huevos Rancheros!!

David, the owner, and Alberto, the cook, (thanks again!) were both welcoming and extremely helpful at giving us advice during our visit to the area.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank EduFran_Barcelona
Reviewed 22 February 2008

I recently returned from my last visit to Merida, and my stay at Casa Los Arcos. I brought a friend this time to see Merida and understand why I fell in love with this city. David, Maya and Isabella were waiting for us. My favorite beer was in the refrigerator, and I got my update on the happening since my last visit. As usual, the room and bathroom were clean, tastefully decorated, and the bed linens were soft and fluffy. My friend was amazed at breakfast; he normally doesn't eat breakfast, but he did this trip. David recently retiled the pool, and it now sparkles with those tiny little tiles. I can't say enough about this beautiful place and the hospitality which radiates from David and Alberto. There was another couple in the queen bedded room, and they were pleasant breakfast companions. Alberto took them on a day tour to the ruins and a cenote. I had a car this time, so we went to some of the neighboring towns to see the different crafts and visit some of the establishments that sell the pasta floors and talavera tiles. It was a good trip and I can't wait to return.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank lippincottfarm1
Reviewed 30 December 2007

During my five visits to Merida i've stayed in a range of accommodation, but the six days just spent at Los Arcos wins hands down!

Main features for me were:
1. Exceptionally generous breakfasts, made to order.
2. Friendly and attentive service of proprietor David, chef Alberto, Isabella the chihuahua, and Flaco the rescued cat....and another small dog whose name escapes me.
These folks were even kind enough to drop me at the bus station for my onward journey.
3. Overall ambience: Located a few blocks from the centre of town, on arrival you step off 66th street into an elegant interior, packed with fine art and artefacts tastefully presented in a series of rooms either side of a central corridor.
After passing through the house you enter the tranquility of a rear courtyard garden surrounded by high walls. A delightful pool is enhanced by four mature Royal Cuban Palms amidst a wealth of lush vegetation and Mayan statuary. The standard is maintained thoughout the guest accommodation which is also beautifully decorated and has effective air-conditioning.

It was an enjoyable and peaceful stay at Los Arcos and I wouldn't hesitate to visit again.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled solo
7  Thank parkrangers
Reviewed 16 October 2007

Our third stay with David Reed at Los Arcos was just as amazing as the two previous stays. This quiet oasis in the heart of Centro Merida is a gem of an inn, featuring a lush garden and dipping pool, yet within walking distance of the main plaza, and all the activities of this beautiful colonial city. Breakfasts are delicious at Los Arcos; and David and house manager Alberto's supreme service and attention to detail continue to distinguish Los Arcos among inns and other B&B's. With David Reed's guidance in the local real estate market, we are now proud owners of our own home in Merida's Centro, just a couple of blocks away from Los Arcos. Though we are now neighbors, our only regret is that we will miss our stays at the inn!
P & B, Tybee Island, Georgia

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with friends
6  Thank barbaraarcher
Reviewed 11 October 2007

We have just returned from another splendid week in Merida, our fifth vacation there in the past two years. There is a tropical
magic that pervades this relatively undiscovered city in the Yucatan, and there is no better place to begin exploration than the Los Arcos Bed and Breakfast in the historic Centro. Owned by David Reed and run daily by Alberto, the inn is a central oasis with two large, separate, spotless rooms at the rear of the property fronted by the massive old main house and surrounded by 14 foot walls covered in bougainvillea. No matter how sultry the day, the rooms are easily airconditioned and overhead fans quicken the process. In the courtyard, the Mayan statue surrounded pool works both as a decorative centerpiece and as a functional swimming hole for cooling off in the afternoon or evening. At Los Arcos the high point of the day may be the breakfast prepared by Alberto with the freshest of fruit, excellent granola, and his eggs Motulenos (he is from Motul) are truly great. We also like Los Arcos for the ease of walking to the main plaza, excellent restaurants, neighborhood cathedrals, and art galleries, plus the English Library is just around the corner. The beach town of Progreso and the more beautiful beaches southeast of there are only 30 minutes by car or cab.
We have stayed other places in Merida, but I can't imagine finding a cleaner or more comfortable place than Los Arcos.
G+C-ATL

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
7  Thank G&C-ATL
Reviewed 1 October 2007

My wife and I stayed six days at Los Arcos this September and thought it was great! The rooms were spotless, AC worked great, breakfast was huge, and David was a superb host. The B&B is within walking distance of the Downtown area and several good restaurants. Go see for yourself, I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple