“Wonderful B&B and Hosts!”
Review of Cascadas de Merida

Cascadas de Merida
Ranked #4 of 80 Merida B&B and Inns
sticks1979
“Wonderful B&B and Hosts!”
Reviewed 2 October 2007

My wife and I just got back from our 6 day honeymoon at Cascadas de Merida. It was fantastic!! It was a wonderfully relaxing and fun stay. We thoroughly enjoyed our time in and around Merida, yet we also enjoyed the time we spent talking with Ellyne and even Miguel. The breakfasts were fantastic each morning.

Ellyne and Miguel were also a great help as well recommending places to eat or see. All in all the best B&B we've been to thus far!

Thank you!

Stayed September 2007

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Calgary
Reviewed 19 September 2007

When my husband and I arrived at our B & B in Merida we were greeted with a "sorry but the place was just sold and we are renovating" but we can find you another place to stay. What choice did we have? We were very lucky that it was the Casadas de Merida.

The B&B turned out to be the nicest and most comfortable place I have stayed in, in all of my travels in Mexico. The grounds and accommodations were beautiful and very clean. The breaKfasts were sumptuous, thanks to the cooking of Aurora. Our most gracious host Miguel was more than accommodating on the first few days of our stay. Ellyne had been called away due to death in her family. But when she arrived back she was a warm and wonderful person who made us feel right at home.

After a week there we drove to a hotel at Chichen Itza and we both wished the Cascadas could have been transported there as our stay in the hotel was marginal.

There is no question that we would stay at Cascadas de Merida again.

Thank you Ellyne, Miguel and Aurora!
Joan & Ray

• Liked — Clean, very relaxing, good location and very helpful and friendly owners and staff.
  • Disliked — If there had been a ramp to accommodate wheelchairs it would have been perfect for anyone.
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 7 September 2007

My husband and myself have recently returned from a four week holiday in Mexico (August) and part of our trip included a three night stay in Merida. After reading all the positives reviews on TripAdvisor, along with the comments in the Forum Section, I knew that a stay at Cascadas was a must for us.

However, there isn't really much for me to say in my review though, except to totally agree with all the comments from previous guests.

So . . .

* Yes, the rooms are lovely and very spacious.
* Yes, the hosts are warm, welcoming, friendly and obliging.
* Yes, the pool and garden area is fantastic, especially after a long, hot and exhausting day.
* Yes, the breakfasts are great. And of course a special mention to Miguel.
* Yes, yes to everything.

If your preferred style of accommodation is a B&B over the larger hotel style accommodation, then you MUST add Cascadas de Merida to your list.

Would we stay here again? Most definitely. Would we recommend it to our friends? Most definitely.

The only negative thing about our stay, was that it wasn't long enough and we would have liked to have had another two nights in Merida.

Thank you Ellyne for a great stay and congratulations to you and your husband on a fantastic property.

Regards,
Murray and Cherie

• Liked — Everything!
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cloves
Carmel,NY
Reviewed 6 September 2007

I had never stayed at a B&B before. At this point CDM has set the bar so high, that it will be impossible for any other B&B to surpass them. The staff was warm, and very sweet. They went over and above to help me when i wanted to go into town (Centro) for shopping. In the house the food was fantastic, and they love to feed you.

The pictures of the place look really nice, but they dont really capture the beauty of the place. Having a river run thru your room is amazing!!! and you feel like you are showering in a waterfall.

Ellyne will make you feel like you are part of her family, except you dont have to clean dishes or make your bed. :-)

This is truly the best way to experience Mexico

• Liked — the way you felt comfortable like you were home ,not in a hotel
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled on business
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 4 September 2007

I cant put in in any better words. Our stay was a perfect relaxation. We visited in mid August for our honeymoon and after planning a wedding that's all that we needed, but we got more then we expected. The place is wounderful, clean, modern, has an ac that cools the room down very quickly, and the sevice is excellent. The shower is wounderful with its glass walls overlooking your private waterfall. The breakfeast in the morning was very tastefull and fresh. Ellyne was a wounderful help, giving us recommandations on resturants, tours, and places and things to do within the city. She is very friendly and makes you feel at home. The pool was clean and refreshing but the best part was Ellyne serving us cold beer and drinks at the pool and having conversations with her and the other guests.

After leaving Meridad we continued on and stayed at other B&B;s in Zihuatanejo and Oaxaca but the service was not as great as what we recieved in Cascadas de Meridad and we just wanted to run back. We highly recomend this place, you get much more then what the web-site shows and we look foward to returning sometime in the future.

Ellyne thanks for you hospitality and making us feel so much at home.

José & Cristina
Los Angeles, CA

• Liked — The friendly service and personal attention recieved
  • Disliked — nothing, everything was great
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
Ogunquit, Maine
Reviewed 3 September 2007

I stayed at Cascadas for 10 days in April after reading the excellent reviews they received on this forum. From the first time I contacted Ellyne via e-mail, she couldn't have been more helpful. Her responses were immediate and filled with great suggestions to help me plan my trip. She even gave me a referral for a language/culture teacher and allowed me to have private classes in their lovely courtyard by the pool, one of several highlights of my trip that wouldn't have occurred without Ellyne's assistance.
Because I wanted to do alot of walking around the city, I really appreciated the central location. The neighborhood is extremely quiet and safe, yet within walking distance of many small shops and restaurants, and a 10-minute walk to the zocalo. I loved walking the few blocks to the Parque Santiago each day for a light meal, or to just sit under the big shade trees on the plaza and watch local children enjoying their ice cream cones while parents and grandparents chatted on the shady benches. On Tuesday evenings there's live big-band music and dancing in the park that is a really special event.
Ellyne and Chucho are just natural hosts and couldn't have been more gracious and generous with their time. I am so grateful for everything they did for me.
Breakfasts were more than ample with delicious coconut yogurt, beans, warm tortillas and fresh local fruit in addition to perfectly prepared eggs or pancakes.
Because there are already many descriptions of their beautiful property and sparkling clean rooms I guess don't need to repeat that. They're all true. I would definitely recommend Cascadas to friends. I hope to return sometime to Merida and wouldn't consider staying anywhere else-Cascadas is perfect!

• Liked — the hosts, the cleanliness, the pool, the location
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled on business
london
Reviewed 26 August 2007

We stayed at Cascadas de Merida for 4 nights at the beginning of August and had a brilliant time. Cascadas can't be recommended highly enough. Its extremely clean and not even vaguely damp unlike some other we stayed in elsewhere with air conditioning. Elaine was very helpful-recomending restaurants, sights etc. The breakfast was also great with a combination of mexican and contiental. Overall we were extremely impressed. great value
CH and ES, London UK