“Careful!”
Review of Hotel Casa Lucia

Hotel Casa Lucia
Ranked #11 of 106 Hotels in Merida
Reviewed 8 October 2012

My wife and I stayed here for a night for a wedding we went to near Merida. We decided on this place because it was on the list of hotels the wedding party listed, and it looked nice in the photos.

It was a quaint place, but by no means a "boutique" hotel worth what they charge. The room was a bit musty, but it cleared up after the A/C ran for a bit. The amenities in the room were ok, and there was no hot water. I wasn't too bothered by the later due to the heat at 3pm.

None of the above would have warranted a post had the following situation not occurred.

Shortly after we arrived, the guy in charge started talking to us about the area and the crafts etc. We decided to freshen up and go check out the city, the same man offered to walk us to the zocalo, so we accepted and as we walked he told us about this area where the indigenous population comes to sell their products. We agreed to check it out and he brought us to this little store, walked us in and disappeared. There was no trip to the Zocalo, or sites, just this little store selling local wares. Long story short we ended up getting ripped at the store, paying too much for what turned out to shabby material. Afterward we walked around, without our "guide" and headed back.

Yes, no one forced me to buy anything, and yes I may have trusted everyone more than I should have but I assumed if a hotel employee takes me somewhere it is not to take advantage of me.

We ordered some food back at the hotel and again, paid too much for a cruddy sandwich and salad.

I felt as if I were being taken advantage of at every opportunity, this is coming from a couple that has lived in Mexico City for four years and is fluent in Spanish.

The hotel itself wasn't terrible, and the rest of the staff was very friendly, but this experience almost ruined the entire trip (Thank goodness for the beautiful wedding).

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
9  Thank Daveizzy

Reviewed 3 July 2012

I have spent many months in Merida, and whenever I have visitors I always send them here. The staff is great, the food is great and its located downtown Merida. This is a quiet hotel with lots of mexican character. The pool is beautiful and the beds are amazing. I believe the owner has sold it and it isn't as kept up as usual, but I believe they are working on it. Food is so great too !!! You dont go to mexico to connect to the internet, or to work out.... you explore....

Room Tip: because of the heat the rooms are all musty at first, crack a window and it will be fine in minutes...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 April 2012

except for it location and a friendly staff there is nothing positive to say about the hotel. the room was in need of serious upgrade specially the bathroom,the pool and it surroundings and the main lobby.Certainly it looks old like from the 70's not what a modern"boutique hotel" should look and offer.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank cjh7659
Reviewed 9 April 2012

We spent three nights over the Easter weekend. The staff was extremely pleasant and we had a large room overlooking the courtyard and the pool. We also had a small fridge that was very usefull for pop and water. The temperature on Saturday was nearly 40 degrees. The hotel is only about 3 minutes from the main square and there are abundant restaurants in very close proximity.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Pepeone111
Reviewed 16 March 2012

Definitely not my idea of a boutique hotel and overpriced for what you get. My room smelled musty and the windows didn't open. The Internet didn't work in my room which was a drag especially because there were so many mosquitoes by the pool and in the lobby. I'm glad I only booked for one night.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Anasaskia
Reviewed 28 January 2012

Positive : location in center Merida, walking distance from Plaza Grande, convenient parking lot, pool area is nice.

Negative : I was ripped off 100 USD for laundry. This was a very unpleasant experience and I felt just like I have been manipulated by an untrustful staff. The day we arrived we asked for the price for laundry, and the manager at the front desk told us they will take care for a moderate cost. I asked twice about the price but the guy kept telling me not to worry... I discovered the 100 USD charge on the bill at the check out... 100 USD for less than 10 lbs of shirts and polos. Nothing but robbery.

Else, this hotel is OK but clearly not worth the money. The room smelt moist and the air conditioner was way too noisy. There were bugs in the room (my young daughter was scared to death by a monster cockroach that found its way under her bed... And ants running all over the bathroom). I am personally OK with the idea of facing bugs in tropical countries but I would have not expected this in a 5 star boutique hotel. The breakfast is absolutely not what you would expect for the price (bread, butter and jam, and orange juice right from the box). Nothing more than the regular breakfast you would get from the cheapest US motel. I must confess I don't really understand how this hotel got so many positive reviews and ranked in the top ten in Merida. It also looked strange to me that an hotel with such a good fame on the web ran almost empty of guests in this season.

My advice: stay away from Casia Lucia, or revise down your expectactions. You can have much better for your money in Merida.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank manustar73
Reviewed 23 January 2012

This is a charming hotel. Unfortunately we did not stay here but had the pleasure of eating here twice. Of all the places we have visited, this bistro stands out as having one of the most extraordinary dishes I have ever eaten. I would like to preface this with saying that I am accomplished in the kitchen and cook a great deal.
I have eaten in well known places in the US and in Europe BUT this bistro had a chicken dish made with a blood orange sauce that I had both nights I ate here and it was wonderful! A "stand out" meal. Service was excellent, surroundings charming, couldn't ask for anything more!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends