“"Hotel Julamis was an experience of a life time!"”
Review of Hotel Julamis

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Merida
Hotel Julamis
Ranked #5 of 103 Hotels in Merida
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“"Hotel Julamis was an experience of a life time!"”
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Hotel Julamis was my first experience at a bed and breakfast, and I have to say, my taste has been change forever. I loved it! The breakfasts were divine and shots of tequila were served under the starts nightly. Hotel Julamis is quaint and intimate, with a flair for romance. Alex, the owner, is exceptional, personable, and accommodating. I consider Alex to be a friend after my 8 days stayed at the Hotel Julamis. I'm looking forward to a return visit.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Christine M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Hotel Julamis is owned by Alex Rudin, an internationally renowned chef! He will make you the most fabulous breakfast that you have ever eaten! The hotel is a hidden gem! Alex makes sure all of his guests have a first class experience. I can't wait to go there again!

• Stayed January 2014
Kelowna, BC CANADA
Reviewed 26 March 2014

I don't think there is anything more that I could add to what has already been said about Hotel Julamis other than to tell you that I have enjoyed my visits there so much that I've been back more than once. I say "visit" because you're not just staying there, Alex makes you feel as he's known you for years and that you are there to visit him.

I was travelling with a friend who usually stayed elsewhere when in Merida but since I was the one making our reservation...Hotel Julamis was where we were visiting for 3 nights in January before making our way to Sisal, where we would be living the next 2 months for me and 3 months for my friend.

Since my previous visit in 2012, there had been an ownership change so of course I wondered if my visit in January would be as enjoyable...let me assure you, it was even better! Alex is a wonderful host who goes out of his way to make sure you are taken care of. Each morning you will be amazed at the wonderful creations that Alex has prepared, a perfect way to start the day!

The day we were leaving, Alex even offered to drive us to Sisal if our pre-arranged transportation didn't show up...how many people would do that!?!?

I could go on and on but really all you need to know is that you won't have to worry about a thing once you decide to go visit Hotel Julamis, Alex will take care of everything!

Almost forgot to tell you that during my 2 months in Sisal, I had to come back into Merida just so that I could visit Hotel Julamis again!

Thanks again Alex, I'll be back!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Hotel Julamis is a great option if you're staying in Merida. It's off the main drags, close enough to walk to everything you might go to as a tourist, with some off-the-beaten-track spots nearby. We stayed for 4 nights in March. The rooms have high ceilings and hand painted walls and the roof deck has a soaking tub, miniature palm trees, and several different seating areas for watching the sun set over the city and enjoying the free fine tequilas that Alex, the owner, offers each night! Alex, the owner, is a fascinating characters and a fantastic cook. He makes everything in the elaborate breakfast from scratch -- the croissants are unreal. From the moment that you check in, he's attentive to making your experience at the hotel, and in his adopted city of Merida, the best it can be.

Room Tip: Take Alex's advice and go to La Pigua, a great seafood restaurants that's not written up in...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Many thanks to you Alex. We loved our stay in Merida at the Julamis Hotel. Totally agree with everyone who writes to praise the breakfasts. They were invariably creative, delicious and hearty. But, for us, it was you Alex, a 'larger than life' host, who made our trip so special. You were always accessible and helpful, just seemed to 'be there' when we needed you. . . . for guidance, conversation, directions, to have a day trip arranged . . . whatever we were looking for! Hosting the "Academy Awards" night with pizza and wine for all of us was just one example of how you 'go the extra mile' for your guests. Also, sending us off to the airport at 5 am with orange juice and coffee was a bonus!!! You're the best! I've recommended Julamis already and would return in a heartbeat...Lynda and Tom

Room Tip: If I return I will select a room in the hotel rather than the colonial house.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Kingston, Canada
Reviewed 16 March 2014

How can we add meaningfully to the many words of praise for Julamis and its congenial host Alex and his wonderful wife Mary? We recently had an extended stay at this boutique hotel perfectly located in the historical centre of Merida. Each morning we left the breakfast table satiated with chef Alex’s amazing breakfasts which on Sundays, saw champagne added to the feast. Throughout our stay, Alex offered suggestions as to how to get the best out of the Yucatan’s splendours…places suited to each visitor’s tastes and pocketbook .
Sunsets would find Alex lighting decorative, eastern-inspired lanterns throughout each floor as well as the stairs, beckoning guests up to the roof top terrace where the 6:00 p.m. happy hour awaited. Guests were offered a variety of tequila selections as they shared the day’s experiences, suggestions for restaurants, open-air music and the most interesting artisans. This venue led to the best of our experiences at Julamis….forging friendships with visitors from around the world. ….. new friends we plan to stay in touch with and meet up with again.
Alex’s generosity to us went far beyond the call of duty…from his warm welcome late in the evening of our arrival to 5:30 a.m. on the day we departed when he and Mary met us and our fellow travellers with coffee and croissants. Our memories include the pleasure in the decorative touches Alex was constantly adding from the new fountain in the breakfast patio to the curtains and lights on the rooftop terrace – as well as the best Oscar party we ever enjoyed!
If you want your hotel to be part of the uniqueness of your Merida visit, this is the place for you!
Jo and Frank- Canada

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Cancun, Mexico
Reviewed 12 March 2014

What a nice discovery in Merida!! Alex "the manager and on site owner" makes of Hotel Julamis a home away from home stay. He’ll be there to help & assist you and away when you’re looking for peace and tranquility. The Location is outstanding! Just a couple of blocks from historical downtown and the grand Montejo Avenue. Merida is a pedestrian city and the location of Hotel Julamis helps you with that. Don’t hesitate of walking back to the Hotel to take a small "siesta" at hot hours in the summer!
Didn’t get the chance to enjoy the outstanding roof terrace with Jacuzzi and huge sun beds. Next time I’m there, I will take my time for sure to enjoy it. Do not miss Alex's gourmet breakfast!! Not a simple or ordinary breakfast during your stay.
The rooms are in well condition. I hear each room has a theme and high tall ceilings. Bathrooms are ok! Sodas and water in Minibar are free!!
Word of advice! Do not expect to lift up the phone and have room service. This a Small & Simple hotel. Alex is always welcome to help but dont expect a butler on site. Overall Hotel Julamis offers a great location, comfortable and clean rooms, peace and tranquility, good food and great host. Try it out!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo