“Archeologists might dig it but I didn't”
Review of Hotel Montejo

Hotel Montejo
Ranked #49 of 104 Hotels in Merida
British Columbia
“Archeologists might dig it but I didn't”
Reviewed 1 November 2011

After a promising start with prompt responses to emails, I booked 3 nights at the Hotel Montejo, I was looking for a neat place close to the downtown area, and at the time I wasn't planning on bringing a car to Merida. Plans changed and I contacted the hotel with regard to parking, no reply. When checking in the clerk was a little evasive about the car-parking but said it was available 20 meters up the street.
Once unloaded and with my first nights money safely in the till, then I am advised that with the parking, it was pay by the hour of which they would pay half ( no big deal ) but then you had to remove the car from the car park at 8pm and try and find parking on the street, then repark at 8am in the morning ( this wasn't going to work ).
Then to the room, it was a largish room located under the staircase with just one side window. The matresses on the bed had the edges curling up, and the bathroom had quite a large amount of black mould. After finding alternative accommodation I checked out after a couple of hours. The hotel looks quite good on the web-site but doesn't quite live up to the reality.
To be fair, the plusses were a good location, a nice new clean looking pool area, but unfortunately out-weighed by the negatives.

Room Tip: Don't book room 9
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Tez28

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Kutztown, PA
Reviewed 11 August 2011

I was staying with an educational group at a hotel on the same block. My original hotel, the Castellano was quite fine, but a bit pricey. My wife was coming to join me for a stay in Merida. So I asked our local guide, Alfonso Escobedo to recommend something in the same central historic neighborhood, but more affordable. He highly recommended the Hotel Montejo, telling me, oddly enough, that "a lot of archaeologists stay there."

I did walk around the neighborhood and poke my head in a few other hotel options, some were a little cheaper. I went with the Montejo and have not regrets. The Montejo was about 600 pesos, about $55 U.S for a double with a/c. We didn't meet any archaeologists. it wasn't crowded, seemed the other guests were Mexican tourists from other parts of the country.

The colonial-style courtyard is lovely, looked like a Zorro movie set. The room had giant doors, comfy beds, large bathroom. One nice thing was two large complimentary 1 liter bottles of water. The other, more costly, hotel charged 20 pesos for opening their water bottle, even to make coffee.

There is a pool at the Montejo, it is small, clean and refreshing. Free wifi. The free continental breakfast was frankly minimal, but a welcome start to the day: toast. fruit plate, and decent coffee.

The folks working the front desk were all very nice, especially David. Right across the street is Maya Chaya, a wonderful restaurant that always has a line.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank kevinmpa
St.Louis, MO
Reviewed 1 August 2011

We stay here every summer and have found it to be clean with good water pressure in the shower and plenty of hot water. The hotel has a bit of character as it is a renovated Spanish colonial building. There is a pool on the first level and a sitting area on the second floor overlooking the central courtyard with fountain. During some months the price includes a continental breakfast of toast with juice or fruit and coffee or tea. This was the first time I had the suite in Room 16. It had two full beds in one area and two sofa sleepers in the other room. These could be closed off with doors. Each side had its own minisplit and TV. There were 3 adults in my party, but this room could accomodate 4 adults or 3 adults and a couple of children. It has a great location with only a short walk to Calle 60 and the Plaza Grande. The staff will call a taxi for you and they are all very helpful. This hotel is not fancy or sleek, but atmospheric and convenient!

Room Tip: You can reserve online at the website or call for reservations. They have rooms for 1,2 or 3 people...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank jomex
Penang Island, Malaysia
Reviewed 14 January 2011

Hotel Montejo is in an excellent location close to all the attractions in the centre of Merida. The staff were all very friendly and helpful and we experienced very good service. The building reflects a lot of colonial charm. Breakfast was simple but adequate: fruit or juice, and plain toast. Everything was quite clean. Wifi was included. We were asked to pay for our room each day -- seems to be common practice in Merida.

On the downside, we found the interior of the rooms to be rather old and not well updated; the mattresses were very uncomfortable. Our downstairs room also was prone to noise from the street and the internal courtyard. Overall, it was reasonable value for money, however we also found better value for money elsewhere in Merida.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jinsarn
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed 16 August 2010

I moved to Hotel Montejo after spending one night in run-down Hotel Santa Lucia near Parque Santa Lucía. I discovered the Montejo when walking down Calle 57 and had the receptionist show me a room. Rooms are around a nice patio. They are painted in a bright yellow, have a new and efficient AC and TV, antique style furniture and comfortable beds. The bathrooms are small but nice, washbasin and mirror are in the room. Everything is very clean. There is a swimming pool, but I did not use it. Attached to the Hotel is a small restaurant called Café Royal where you can have a modest breakfast (toast, jam, butter, tea or coffee and fruit) which is included in the room rate. If you order more you'll get a discount on the price listed in the menu. I payed 530 pesos for the room and found it exellent value. Two insignificant 'cons': 1) In the morning you might wake up when the receptionists do their handing-over because the front desk is open air and you can hear them talking. 2) The shower head in my bathroom was a bit fossil. Apart from that, Hotel Montejo is a very nice and peaceful place to stay right in the center of Mérida.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank topautorin
Rochester, NY
Reviewed 23 April 2008

My wife, our 3 teenage kids, and I stayed at Hotel Montejo for 4 nights, and it was excellent. Because we are a party of 5, we rented the Master Suite. The suite was spacious and extremely functional. The complimentary continental breakfast at the hotel restaurant, Cafe Royal, was delicious and the wait staff efficient and friendly. If you're there during the winter months you should make acquaintance with Bob, a U.S. retiree who winters in Merida at the Hotel Montejo. He had many pieces of advice that were quite helpful. Overall, our stay was well worth the price, and we highly recommend it.

• Liked — courtyard with fountain, hotel restaurant
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with family