“Perfect honeymoon”

Le Reve Hotel & Spa
Ranked #100 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 15 October 2012

My husband and I recently traveled to Le Reve for our honeymoon, and I must say that everything was above and beyond my expectations. The first thing I noticed was how incredibly friendly (in a genuine way) and accommodating the staff was. Everyone was nice and we ended up getting to know several of them very well. Because the hotel was so small, we also go to know other couples and have been keeping in touch with them since we left.
As for the food, there is hardly any reason to eat out. I highly recommend ordering from their special menu (in which you have to order a day in advance) because they get fresh food / seafood that day. The 'mayan lobster' and 'cochinita' were fabulous.
While the rooms are small, they are very comfortable, clean, and intimate.
The pool is perfect - it looks exactly like the photos and is right on the beach. The beach itself is nice, but the ocean is slightly rocky right in front of the hotel.
I never had a chance to visit the spa, so I can't give it a 5 out of 5, but the people we talked to had a good experience.
Our overall experience was so wonderful, we are already thinking about booking our next trip in the spring!

Room Tip: All rooms seem to be great (they all face the beach). If you don't have a lot of money to spend...
1  Thank Virginia D

Reviewed 10 October 2012

It was the "pictures" that sold us on taking a chance to try Le Reve. WOW! For the first time ever, the pictures told the truth about a place.

From our arrival to our departure, the service was fantastic! Because it is a small resort, you quickly become on a first-name basis with many of the staff. And, they quickly learn your preferences.

We stayed in a Bungalow and it was lovely. Beautifully appointed, and such a treat to walk out to the deck to relax, and then climb in the plunge pool and watch the waves roll in... The beach is beautiful with such fine white sand. Directly in front of the hotel, is a more rocky stretch of beach, but if you want to wade or swim, it is a short walk to a less-rocky area. Hubby discovered where to rent wave-runners and he had a blast riding them!

While there are no TV's, each room has an ipod/docking station fully loaded with a wide array of playlists. (Seriously, who wants to spend their vacation watching TV? However, for die-hards, there is a TV in the bar.) Hubby was thrilled when we walked into the restaurant for the first time and Zero 7 was playing.

Each morning, I slept in while Hubby took his coffee and his ipod to the beach to watch the sun rise. In fact, he brought home 30 minutes of sunrise on video so that we can "go back" from the comfort of our land-bound Oklahoma.

The restaurant is what totally won us over though! It is set in an outdoor pavilion, with large clear curtains that can be lowered if wind or rain intrude. Everything that Chef Mario prepared looked like a work of art. And, the food tasted just as good as it looked. We adored the Tuna Tartare Salad. Hubby fell head-over-heels in love with one of the salsas...and began asking for it at every opportunity. Honestly, I wasn't sure that he was going to come home with me! LOL!

I loved the Continental breakfast, and the staff was so accommodating when one or the other of us asked for something not on the menu. I so loved the yogurt with honey and granola--served as a side with the fresh fruit--that I asked for a "small" bowl of only that! The brought out more than I could eat! The margheritas were delicious--none of that nasty "mix," but the real deal. And the coffee...well, I could probably write a whole paragraph about that...but I won't. Again, the service was outstanding!

In the evening, when we returned to our room, we would find the bed turned down and the curtains around the bed lowered. On a pillow would be a delicious tiny sweet for those sweet dreams we would soon have. I can't believe that I forgot to mention how heavenly comfortable the beds were--like floating on a cloud.

For now, we have treasured memories...and dreams...of returning to Le Reve!

In fairness, there were a few tiny things that weren't perfect. The lighting in the bathroom is dim, especially for those of us with eyes over 40 trying to apply makeup! We had them bring in a small fridge stocked with our favorite soft drink. It never got much colder than "lukewarm." Perhaps the one we got was just malfunctioning. The power did go out briefly a couple of times while we were there. This was not an issue for us. And, it's location does not lend itself to a very good phone signal. Their wireless internet was knocked out the second day we were there and that made it difficult to keep in touch with family at home. None of these things were more than minor inconveniences and should not deter you from going. Last, I can't personally comment on the spa b/c we didn't use it, but if it is like everything else at Le Reve, I'm sure it's fantastic!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 October 2012

After a bumpy trip down the potholed road leading to the hotel (which, to be honest, had us a bit worried!), we were very pleasantly surprised when we arrived at Le Reve - those who brave the terrible road will be rewarded. However, those looking for a beach where they can run into the water barefoot should steer well clear: it's quite rocky around the hotel and you'll need to wear shoes in the water to avoid cutting up your feet.

Overall though, if you're looking for seclusion, privacy and relaxation, this is the place. We spent four nights at Le Reve and took advantage of their amazing complimentary honeymoon package (email hotel before your stay to get it). As part of the package we were upgraded to the best available room, which happened to be Troncones, the master suite. The room was enormous, with a bathroom and balcony to match. We felt truly spoilt by all the space and the views over the resort and the sea.

The massages (good, but not the best we've had), breakfast in bed, dinner on the beach (3 courses with wine and our own personal waiter), breakfasts, turn-down service (including rose petals on our first night), personalised bathrobes (with our names, to take home) and more included in the honeymoon package were all luxurious and delivered effortlessly throughout our stay. All honeymooners also get a personalised stone on the hotel's 'walk of fame' to commemorate their stay and a discount on future stays.

As I said, the beach isn't great for swimming, but we were able to relax and enjoy ourselves anyway. We had the hotel nearly to ourselves because it was low season, so the sense of seclusion and privacy was perhaps even greater than usual.

Even though the hotel only has 25 rooms, the restaurant is excellent and serves up quality dishes a reasonable prices. The grounds are lush and kept well maintained. My husband appreciated the small gym they have on site as well.

We experienced excellent service for the duration of our stay. We found the staff to be helpful and unobtrusive. Sometimes it felt as if they were trying to stay out of the way a bit too much, but we appreciated not being asked every ten minutes if we'd like something. They were always there when we needed something, but not hanging around and eyeing us like hawks all the time.

All in all Le Reve is a great place to stay if you're after privacy and seclusion, but not if you want a beach for swimming and easy access to the nightlife in Playa del Carmen. Perfect for couples - and honeymooners should definitely check out the free packages on offer.

Room Tip: The master suites are top-notch, but those on a tighter budget should check out the beach-front room...
1  Thank burukku16
Reviewed 4 October 2012

My husband and I visited Le Reve after moving two children out of our house (ahh, empty nest). Between two weekends of moving and busy work schedules, we weren't prepared for how perfect Le Reve was for us. We were waited on hand and foot. The food is among the best I have eaten, the staff is so accommodating. We loved staying on the grounds and ventured out once, only to hurry back to Le Reve! We would love to return.

2  Thank shoeflygirl
LeReveHotelandSpas, General Manager at Le Reve Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2012

There is a very famous book, It’s called Leaving Home Survival of the Hippest by Andie Parton and Lynn Johnston….
Le Reve Hotel and Spa truly appreciates your review. We are very glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you again!

Lic. Adriana Chardí
Le Rêve Hotel & Spa

Reviewed 28 September 2012

I recently stayed here for three days and it was a great place to come back to after full-days of siteseeing. The atmosphere of the hotel is luxurious but its small and intimate. You will see the same staff every day and the same hotel guests. For such a small place I was not expecting much, but it provides better service, food, and great amenities compared to bigger resorts in Playa del Carmen. The views are really nice with excellent sunsets that make for great dinners directly on the beach. Stay here, really.

Room Tip: have your meals at the on-site restaurant
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Bogota161
Reviewed 28 September 2012

Le Reve Hotel exceeded my expectations with the food, service and beauty of the grounds. This is one of the nicest hotels I have ever stayed in and will definitely be back! I would highly recommend this hotel for a romantic getaway.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank SurferGirl1522
Reviewed 25 September 2012

My wife and I chose Le Reve based on recommendations. Once we arrived, we immediately understood what separated this hotel from every other one that we saw during our trip. The experience was utterly romantic, intimate, and special because of how the hotel and everyone working there created this setting. We had an incredible concierge named Janina who immediately set the tone when we arrived. Many others, including Ismael and Freddy made our dining experiences very special. We can't recommend Le Reve highly enough. We will definitely return here.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple