You know when you discover something wonderful, and you can't wait to share it with someone, but also have the desire to keep it to yourself? Well, that's how I feel about Le Reve. Long story short, I needed a week of relative solitude - no family, no phone , no email, no computer, just reading, enjoying myself, and maybe a visit to a site or two. I lucked up on Le Reve here at Tripadvisor, and this happened two days before I was leaving. I had already booked a Cancun hotel on Expedia, but it had a 48 hour no-fee cancellation policy. A number of friends had told me that Cancun was way too commercial and loud for what I needed. This was on a Wednesday, so I found Le Reve AND their Wednesday 50% discount special. Naturally, I was skeptical, so I called them, and their relaxed manner on the phone assured me that there were no hidden traps with the special. So I booked, and flew and drove to Le Reve. The muddy, unpaved road I had to drive on for the last mile or so of the drive made me nervous, but I came to love it, because it represented precisely how off the beaten trail Le Reve is (although there are other resorts right nearby, they use different access roads). Now to the review proper. The room I had (one of the smaller ones, on the main floor) was lovely. Bed was exquisite, balcony fine, as were bathroom and shower, and the A/C, which was hardly needed, worked perfectly when the room needed cooling down. The restaurant is SUPERB. All three meals are presented in a full menu, and every dish I had was not only delicious, but also presented perfectly. I want to underline how important this is, because as you gradually realize that except for trips, there is no good reason to leave Le Reve, the high quality of the food plays a large role. The staff was almost to a person excellent and on average of the highest quality. They supply sun screen, towels, drinks, whatever you need when you're seated on the beach, which is just a stone's throw from the place, in fact it abuts their own swimming pool, which you have to see to believe. I thought the photos on the website were exaggerated in some way, but they weren't. The pool is a jewel. I spent all my time, however, on the smooth beach, on a comfortable lounge chair or in one of the hammocks. Traveling solo for the first time, I was a little apprehensive about the social angle, but I met a number of lovely couples, and felt right at home, as did the staff. One of the nicest couples I met was two women, who leave their husbands at home every couple of years and have a reunion to catch up. They were just ending a 10-day stay, and I asked them about where they had gone for sightseeing. They had never left Le Reve. Ten straight days of great food, beautiful surroundings and peace and quiet were what they wanted. I had a rented car, so I drove myself to Chichen Itza, Tulum, and a couple of times in Playa del Carmen, the last of which is nothing special, and for food, I would go to the local places there, not the tourist street. But I live in NYC, so the last thing I was looking for was an urban scene. Plus, there is a seedy side to what's happening there with drugs, etc., though it seems perfectly safe for a smart tourist. But all of that is light years away from where Le Reve is.
All in all, if you want a commercial hotel with lots of bling and blang and noise and distractions, this is NOT your place. If you want an elegant, quiet place to relax, regroup, and just sink into the water (figuratively!), the beach, the food and the beauty of the area, this is your choice. I can't wait to go back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Le Rêve Hotel & Spa is a luxury and modern boutique hotel in Playa del Carmen. With a unique collection of 28 rooms overlooking the Caribbean Sea with the perfect blend of nature, peace, gastronomy and mexican hospitality. Our guests are able to book just the hotel room or they can indulge with our unlimited food & beverages "Gourmet All Inclusive A la Carte" . ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, LoveHolidays, Priceline, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Odigeo, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Le Reve Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Le Reve Hotel And Spa
- Le Reve Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Le Reve Playa Del Carmen
- Le Reve Hotel & Spa Mexico/Riviera Maya - Playa Del Carmen