“I ALMOST don't want to tell you how superb this place is...”

Le Reve Hotel & Spa
Ranked #99 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
New York City, New York
“I ALMOST don't want to tell you how superb this place is...”
Reviewed 3 December 2012

You know when you discover something wonderful, and you can't wait to share it with someone, but also have the desire to keep it to yourself? Well, that's how I feel about Le Reve. Long story short, I needed a week of relative solitude - no family, no phone , no email, no computer, just reading, enjoying myself, and maybe a visit to a site or two. I lucked up on Le Reve here at Tripadvisor, and this happened two days before I was leaving. I had already booked a Cancun hotel on Expedia, but it had a 48 hour no-fee cancellation policy. A number of friends had told me that Cancun was way too commercial and loud for what I needed. This was on a Wednesday, so I found Le Reve AND their Wednesday 50% discount special. Naturally, I was skeptical, so I called them, and their relaxed manner on the phone assured me that there were no hidden traps with the special. So I booked, and flew and drove to Le Reve. The muddy, unpaved road I had to drive on for the last mile or so of the drive made me nervous, but I came to love it, because it represented precisely how off the beaten trail Le Reve is (although there are other resorts right nearby, they use different access roads). Now to the review proper. The room I had (one of the smaller ones, on the main floor) was lovely. Bed was exquisite, balcony fine, as were bathroom and shower, and the A/C, which was hardly needed, worked perfectly when the room needed cooling down. The restaurant is SUPERB. All three meals are presented in a full menu, and every dish I had was not only delicious, but also presented perfectly. I want to underline how important this is, because as you gradually realize that except for trips, there is no good reason to leave Le Reve, the high quality of the food plays a large role. The staff was almost to a person excellent and on average of the highest quality. They supply sun screen, towels, drinks, whatever you need when you're seated on the beach, which is just a stone's throw from the place, in fact it abuts their own swimming pool, which you have to see to believe. I thought the photos on the website were exaggerated in some way, but they weren't. The pool is a jewel. I spent all my time, however, on the smooth beach, on a comfortable lounge chair or in one of the hammocks. Traveling solo for the first time, I was a little apprehensive about the social angle, but I met a number of lovely couples, and felt right at home, as did the staff. One of the nicest couples I met was two women, who leave their husbands at home every couple of years and have a reunion to catch up. They were just ending a 10-day stay, and I asked them about where they had gone for sightseeing. They had never left Le Reve. Ten straight days of great food, beautiful surroundings and peace and quiet were what they wanted. I had a rented car, so I drove myself to Chichen Itza, Tulum, and a couple of times in Playa del Carmen, the last of which is nothing special, and for food, I would go to the local places there, not the tourist street. But I live in NYC, so the last thing I was looking for was an urban scene. Plus, there is a seedy side to what's happening there with drugs, etc., though it seems perfectly safe for a smart tourist. But all of that is light years away from where Le Reve is.

All in all, if you want a commercial hotel with lots of bling and blang and noise and distractions, this is NOT your place. If you want an elegant, quiet place to relax, regroup, and just sink into the water (figuratively!), the beach, the food and the beauty of the area, this is your choice. I can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: I stayed in the least expensive room, where I could see the Caribbean through the trees, and could h...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
  • Arabic first
Sydney
Reviewed 3 December 2012

What would have once been a stunning resort is poorly run and feels VERY tired. We booked a Beachfront Bungalow at no small expense and were underwhelmed with the standard of the room - nasty polyester sheets, duvet cover with a rip in it that someone had tried to repair by hand stitching, rotten floorboards in shower and a minibar fridge that is locked unless you pay for it!!!!!!
The best thing about the place was the comfy beach chairs/beds, but definitely not enough to get me to return.
Hope whoever is running this hotel smartens up their act as the hotel and location are great, it is just poorly run and maintained.

• Stayed October 2012
3 Thank TheWalkers88
Edinburgh
Reviewed 30 November 2012

This is a great hotel which seemed practically empty when we were there. Great for us as the attentive staff focussed almost entirely on looking after us. We went for a package that included the same value of food and drink as the cost of our room. The food was excellent but expensive. It is also a 15USD taxi ride to get into Playa Del Carmen itself so you are slightly hijacked by the hotel! The deal was also rather badly explained and we spent a good deal of our time wondering whether we had overspent or not. A small point in the grand scheme.

I would highly recommend this as a place to unwind at the start of a trip. We moved on after a few days to the buzz of a large All Inclusive hotel in the heart of it (The Royal). We loved this too but the combination worked really well. Recommended if you can work the deal out!

Room Tip: We had our own garden which is the most basic room. Funky plunge pool / bath too. Not sure it woul...
Reviewed 13 November 2012

Just returned from a long weekend at Le Reve. Very nice property. We stayed in a bungalow suite, which was very romantic and private. The bed was the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in!! Staff were all very friendly and helpful. Be advised that you really need to rent a car if you are staying here if you plan to venture very far. It is hidden away on a very bumpy road, probably a good 20 minutes from the center of Playa Del Carmen. If you ended up using taxis which are available it would get expensive. We only ate breakfast and it was okay, though not inspiring. I had the continental breakfast and the fruit platter was beautifully presented but most of the fruit was either had little flavor or kind've sour. It also came with a basket of breads there were not so good. They could've put croissants/conches (pan dulces) would've made it much better! In general, I would like to have seen fresh tortillas and more mexican dishes on the menu for breakfast. As mexican breakfasts are so good! My husband did get Chilequiles which he liked. We actually were gone exploring most of the time and basically just slept there. The things that kept this place from being ideal for us was....a gorgeous pool that was not heated. We never swam in it because it was too cold. I'm sure in the spring into summer when it is much hotter that the pool is perfect. In the fall and winter months before it gets that hot, it just isn't warm enough to want to swim in a cold pool. Same for the Plunge pool we never used it because it was just too cold. The beach is very pretty, but very rocky and while we were there this past weekend it was rough waters. Not a good area to swim in. The bartenders at the bar are lovely and friendly, but they need to learn how to make a good margarita! The drinks were too sweet and tasted like they used margarita mix instead of fresh lime juice and simple syrup. Though to be fair, for whatever reason we went all over Playa Del Carmen (in town) and Tulum and never found a good margarita! No one seems to use shakers and the one beach bar in Tulum that was the only place that seemed to use fresh lime/fruit juices still used a spoon to mix the drink with. We are just spoiled because in Puerto Vallarta and Punta Mita on the west coast of Mexico...the margaritas are amazing all made with fresh juices/limes and mixed perfectly. I admit if the pool had been heated and the drinks had been tastier, we would've spent a lot more time at the hotel, lounging by the pool.

Room Tip: The Bungalow suites are really romantic with tented beds. The bungalows feel rustic not luxurious...
1 Thank ucity
Berkeley CA
Reviewed 11 November 2012

We loved our romantic beach bungalow! This is very much a boutique hotel, so don't expect a great gym or in-room coffee maker and ironing board. But if you value crashing waves, fresh air, kind employees, and lots of other thoughtful touches, you will have a great stay. It is serene here, something you will appreciate if you walk down the beach and check out the garish and noisy nearby resorts. No TVs in the rooms, so bring your books! We also had great service, tasty and reasonably priced food (ceviche and shrimp tacos---excellent), perfect beach loungers and hammocks. Wireless in the common areas, but not in the rooms. Our deep tissue massages were well done. A couple helpful notes, lock up all valuables and cellphones. Our neighbor left an iPhone out of the safe during turn down service one night, and it was stolen. Also, Le Reve's neighbors can be loud at night, ruining the sound of the beach. One night in particular, the Viceroy had a party that kept many guests awake past two a.m. Not much the hotel can do about that. Bring water shoes because the water in front of the hotel is on top of coral and rocks, but really fun to go right out from the hotel to swim and snorkel. The sand up to the water is not rocky at all. We loved it, and will go back.

Room Tip: I would only stay in one of the top two tiers of room categories unless you get a killer deal.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 11 November 2012

My partner and I came here because we were looking for a quiet romantic place to celebrate our anniversary and his 40th birthday. Le Reve delivered. From the rooms to the service and the meals everything was top notch. The staff goes out of their way to make sure all your needs are taken care of.

This is a small boutique hotel and you really get that sense when you are here. The emphasis is on privacy and we felt extremely welcomed.

Access to the private beach was also a great plus. We walked along the beach and observed all the people cramped in on the beach at those mega hotels and were so glad that we had our own little slice of heaven.

The ocean itself is a bit rocky in spots but the hotel is so accommodating they even provide water shoes and snorkel gear :-)

Would recommend this place to anyone (gay or straight) and hope to return soon.

Room Tip: Every room has it's charm but the Bungalows are right on the beach and have private plunge pools...
1 Thank Christopher D H
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 10 November 2012

Le Reve features an incredible staff, beautiful rooms, great food and access to the best private beach in the Playa del Carmen area.

There is no better luxury than enjoying the beach access at Le Reve. We couldn't have been happier to be there.

Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple