“Disappointing”

Ranked #100 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Boston, Massachusetts
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

As many other reviewers have said, this place is clearly in a transition. There were many aspects of the hotel that were disappointing. I have traveled to a lot of places all over the world. This was the first time I felt compelled to write a review about a poor experience.

1 Room - My husband and I paid for the garden room with a plunge pool. However the plunge pool did not work. There was a mini fridge in the room, however it never worked. When I asked the front desk about getting a new one, they said that they were broken. I asked for ice and they wanted to charge me $2/bucket of ice. The air conditioning went out every night and the room was sweltering. We didn't want to open the window because we also had cockroaches in the room and other people had bats and major bugs in their rooms. **The sheets were never changed in the 5 days stay. I understand the concept of saving water by reducing laundry, but thought this was unacceptable.
2 Food and service - the food was very good, however the service was disappointing. Lunch often took 1-2hours to arrive. I received a dish that I did not order and when I told them I couldn't eat it (due to dietary restrictions), they told me that I had to pay for it anyway. I insisted I did not.
3 Pool - the pool area and view is now obstructed by a newly constructed, poorly placed administrative building. There aren't many chairs by the pool, no real entrance into the pool, and no umbrellas to shade yourself.
4 Overall - During the day, dozens of sales meetings were going on. This was very odd because they seemed to put more effort and salesmanship into selling to future guests that making their current guests happy.

For such a steep price tag, I expected more. I would not return to La Reve and think there are many, nicer, more customer-focused places in the area.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank boston_traveler0808

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Arabic first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 23 May 2014

On April 26 my husband and I hosted our daughter’s wedding weekend at Le Reve. We have been reliving and relishing those memories ever since.

Two things recommend Le Reve: the people who work there and the natural beauty and intimacy of the surroundings.

Like others, I first and foremost want to express our deepest admiration, respect and gratitude to Arlenis, the wedding coordinator at Le Reve. Arlenis’ has an unfailing dedication to making the “dreams of her brides” come true no matter what--and always doing it with a smile. By staying on top of all that needed to happen when we were on property, Arlenis allowed us the privilege of just enjoying our guests and celebration, stress-free. But most of all, she helped to make my daughter’s dreams come true and for that we will be eternally grateful to her.

Similarly, the staff at Le Reve--from those at the front desk, to the wait staff to people tending the property--was responsive and friendly. No matter what the request, they tried to be accommodating while conveying their desire that this be a wonderful wedding weekend for the couple and all of our guests.

I also echo others’ positive reviews about the quality of the food at Le Reve. While the menu was not extensive, the creative selections, quality of the ingredients and preparation were outstanding for such a small venue. This was true both for catering three wedding parties for130 people as it was for a meal for two in the restaurant.

LeReve is a very small hotel with vistas that unfold into glorious shades of blue from pool to ocean to sky. The layout of the hotel invites guests to share time together without distractions around the pool or on the beach. We were blessed with beautiful weather all weekend, so that guests who did not know one another when they arrived, departed as good friends with shared experiences and memories.

While our memories of the wedding weekend are very fond, all was not perfect. As a very small venue, Le Reve does not have the infrastructure and amenities that larger hotels typically have. The air conditioning in the rooms sometimes breaks down and the water pressure in the showers is not terrific. The day of the wedding, the air conditioning unit in our room broke down. While not optimal, they immediately called in service people and it was repaired within a couple of hours. That said, our room (Master Suite) was large with a comfortable bed and a spectacular terrace overlooking the property and beach. We slept great every night!

Our greatest concern and complaint was what some others mentioned. Between the time we signed the contract and our wedding in late April, the hotel was sold. That change in ownership was not shared with us, as we continued to make non-refundable payments that effectively locked us in to having our wedding there. The new owners have a different vision for this intimate venue and began widespread construction that we learned about only by reading increasingly disturbing Trip Advisor reviews. When we contacted the hotel multiple times to get information as to what the plans were and when construction was going to be completed, we were unable to get straight answers.

This caused us great anxiety about what the place would look like and the experience that our wedding guests would have when staying there after having pre-paid steep room rates. Worse yet, this lack of transparency caused us to question the integrity of the new owners, who now held the outcome of our daughter’s wedding in their hands.

With the wedding now over and having had the opportunity to meet at least one of the new owners, my recommendation to the new owners is to treat their customers with respect and be candid with them. That more than anything will build trust and loyalty. LeReve already has a superlative staff and a fabulous property (except for that weirdly disconnected and ugly white concrete sales building that blocks the view of the ocean for many rooms in lieu of the charming open-air beach bar that previously occupied the space). Let people know what your vision and plans are for this venue—particularly those who are committed to or considering hosting events at LeReve so they can make informed decisions about what Le Reve is going to be rather than the intimate, rustic venue it once was.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Donna G
New York City, New York
Reviewed 23 May 2014

I got married at Le Reve on April 26, 2014. If this review were solely about Arlenis, the wedding coordinator, and the Le Reve staff, they would receive 5 stars, more if I could. As alluded to below by the other reviewers, Arlenis is truly stellar. She cares about her brides and is personally invested in executing a personal, flawless event. All with a smile and grace. I cannot say enough good things about her or recommend her more highly. As well as the rest of the staff, from the front desk to the restaurant. They are a truly wonderful team.

However, with the new owners and the direction they seem to be taking the hotel, I cannot give this hotel 5-stars. We chose Le Reve because it was a hidden, unique, intimate hotel among the massive all-inclusive resorts. It had personality and charm. From the changes the new owners have made to date (horribly ugly kids club and office building blocking the beach view, removing rustic wood floors to replace with shiny, slippery new ones, time share sellers swarming the small hotel, etc...) it does not seem like the Le Reve that we had originally chosen will be the same for future guests.

Yes the internet is slow and power goes out from time to time - I actually really liked that about the old Le Reve. It was a true rustic escape. The hotel is certainly not perfect and we too had very minor issues with things like no hot water in showers or broken AC units. These things are forgivable and forgettable under normal circumstances but when you're already frustrated due to construction and a perceived lack of dishonesty from the ownership, they become a bigger deal.

The new owners seem like capable businessmen. Le Reve could possibly become a very nice, shiny, all-inclusive hotel and vacation club to join all the rest in the Cancun area. But it certainly doesn't seem like it will be the hidden, rustic gem it was before. And that's a real shame.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Margaret B
LeReveHotelandSpas, Public Relations at Le Reve Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
First of all, Congratulations on your recent marriage! We are honored that you chose to share this incredibly special occasion with us at Le Reve Hotel & Spa. We are delighted to hear your feedback about your wedding day was everything you imagined it would be. I have shared your kind words with our entire staff! We will be sure to pass along your compliments to Arlenis our wedding coordinator.
Regarding the hotel, we regret that you have not liked the changes, effectively we are now a family all inclusive hotel. And as you mention in your comment the new owners are very capable businessmen and it is thanks to them that we are now members of Small Elegant Hotels and We are a 2014 TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence Winner. Le Reve has been considered one of the most charming hotels at the Riviera Maya, not just because of the facilities; le Reve is the experience, the staff, the food. Le Reve will never lose his charm.
Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to Le Reve Hotel and Spa.

Reviewed 16 May 2014

Words cannot express how amazing our wedding experience was at Le Reve. From the moment we stepped foot on Le Reve propert we were treated like royalty. I was impressed with their attention to detail , from security to the cleanliness.

Our room was amazing we booked the Master suite overlooking most of the hotel. The view was perfect. The only issue I had was the new white building and the kids club sign - that should have been placed somewhere else not obstructing the view of the ocean.

I must admit I always read reviews and the most recent reviews seriously had me nervous about my upcoming wedding. I have never been to Le Reve before and trusted it as my wedding venue solely based on reviews - Thank God it surpassed anything I could have imagined.

The food was simply amazing. Coming from a very picky eater - Our guests cannot stop talking about the ceviche, Coconut shrimp and seafood soup and more! My husband and I would fly all the way from Washington DC just to get one more entree.

Our wedding was the best day of our lives. We cannot even image having it any other way. Arlenis was simply amazing. She was on time and always smiling. There was nothing that I asked for that she couldn't provide. I was even able to use my balloons at the wedding despite the doubts....She made it work.

I pray that anyone considering Le Reve for a wedding, honeymoon, or vacation destination goes with it because you will not be disappointed . We are so very happy and cannot stop talking about it. Arlenis and the Le Reve Staff are now our family and we cannot wait to go back again.

I could go on and on - Thanks for the most amazing memory ever Le Reve

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Edith C
hotellereve, Public Relations at Le Reve Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear Edit C
Thank you for your wonderful TripAdvisor review and congratulations on your recent marriage!! We are honored that you chose to celebrate this incredibly special occasion with Le Reve Hotel and Spa. We are so pleased to hear that our staff went above and beyond to make your wedding extra special and very memorable, Arlenis was delighted to hear that you enjoyed all the arrangements that have been done on your behalf , we will be sharing your incredibly kind words with our entire staff! Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to Le Reve Hotel and Spa,

Chicago
Reviewed 14 May 2014

My husband(!) and I are taking the time during day two of our honeymoon to write this review because our wedding was just THAT perfect. We can't stop talking about how thankful we are and want to make sure Le Reve and any other nervous brides and grooms know it! Every aspect of our incredible weekend was exactly what we hoped for - and so much more.

We are kicking ourselves now for spending the days (weeks) stressing and worrying about the changes and construction, etc. because from the moment we arrived at the hotel, we were completely at ease. Sure we miss the wood floors and the beach bar, but it is just so gorgeous and Le Reve did a perfect job making up for these lost details. We hate the kids club sign and the big white building that makes no sense to us at all, but we got over all of that quickly.

Our guests were blown away with the friendly staff who would do anything to keep us happy and by the beauty of the hotel (they have no idea what it looked like before).

It's impossible to explain how each moment was better than the last - from the cocktail hour to s'mores on the beach to rehearsal dinner to our wedding day. Arlenis went above and WAY beyond for each event so that it was exactly what we wanted.

We are crazy and chose to get married at sunrise. Le Reve allowed this and was all there VERY early on Saturday morning without one complaint, even though we know it was a LOT to ask (our wedding day lasted pretty much from 5:30am Saturday to 2am Sunday!) Arlenis hadn't managed a sunrise ceremony before, but somehow executed it PERFECTLY and with a huge smile on her face the whole time. Freddy, Roberto, Antonio, Juan, Ismael, and all the guys were so fun and so helpful throughout all of the activities. Thank you guys for waking up early with us!! And to the amazing kitchen staff and the sweetest girls in reception. The combination of all staff makes Le Reve what it is... Amazing. Thank you to Julieta too for working with us by booking rooms, changing rooms, handling lots of requests, etc for over a year for our group.

We hope that Le Reve continues to host weddings so that more brides grooms can experience a perfect place to get married like we did!

• Stayed May 2014
Dear Mrs. Oros

Thank you so much for your wonderful TripAdvisor review and for choosing to celebrate such a special occasion with us at Le Reve Hotel, We are so pleased to hear that our staff went above and beyond once again, we will certainly share your wonderful comments with our entire staff. A wedding is a very important day not only for the wedding couple but all of the family and guests as well. We do lots of weddings each year but we try always to make each special day as memorable for us as it is for the Bride and Groom. We will be sure to pass along your compliments to Arlenis our wedding coordinator. Thank you for recommending our hotel, and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Warm Regards

New York City, New York
Reviewed 10 May 2014

This is a long overdue review. We got married at Le Reve June 1, 2013 so it will almost be a year since our wedding!

From the moment we booked our wedding with Le Reve, we were in the good hands of Arlenis and Ana, the wedding coordinator and assistant. They are the reason Le Reve weddings have become more popular and have had such a positive response back in the States. Their prompt responsiveness and attention to detail were really appreciated.

Below is our feedback:

-- Loved how the DJ (Playa Weddings) played the processional music with perfect timing and we didn't even review with them.
-- The service at the hotel was exceptional and everyone we met was super helpful and very friendly. I think this adds to the personal touch that Le Reve offers.
-- Tres Leches wedding cake was delicious.
-- Loved how Arlenis/Ana improvised for hanging the place cards with the tiki torches.
-- Loved the cakes served during the welcome BBQ.
-- The house wine was pretty good, the white wine was better than the red wine.
-- The mariachi band was great.
-- Sarah Garnier was excellent with the makeup and has a great personality.
-- Our guests loved the food, from the brunch to the wedding appetizers to the main courses.
-- Premium Flores flowers was great too; good value and fresh live roses.

Overall, with a destination wedding you have to understand that there are things you just have to let be, and cannot plan for or see. I think you need to be realistic with how your personality fits into this. We would definitely do our wedding over again at Le Reve. We planned it all in less than 6 months and it was really at the end of the 3 months that we really got focused.

Again, the service, staff and Arlenis/Ana were terrific and really made the difference! Thank you to the Le Reve staff for making our wedding so memorable!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Texas City, Texas
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Construction workers were doing demolition on a concrete and rebar partition in the upstairs driveway & you could feel the reverb in our room. Drilling from above and banging from outside at as early as 8:30am was ridiculous. We asked to change rooms on day #2 and it took a while for the concierge to accommodate the change. She was nice though.

The main pool is clearly showing its age as well. Small tiles are missing in visible places & the clean lines are now wavy and irregular. Where does one enter or exit the pool without treachery?

WiFI did not work daily until about 9:00am until some guy came to work to turn it on? Couldn't "check in" with the airline because the stupid WiFi wasn't working. Weaksauce.

Staff was friendly, the food was pretty decent but expensive. Oh and the hotel runs on massive gas-powered generators! I thought the hum sounded familiar and it reminded me of my time in Iraq working on military bases. Very weird feeling.

There were also sales people every single morning trying to sell timeshares and we often had the displeasure of sitting next to them. It seemed there were hardly any guests staying there.

Room Tip: stay in a beach bungalow
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Wax M
hotellereve, Public Relations at Le Reve Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear Guest,
We would like to thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. We deeply regret not meeting your expectations during your stay at our hotel.
I would like to clarify that we are not in demolition or construction, as you mentioned in your comment. The hotel had updates that did not interfere with the guests activities.
The “construction” that you mentioned was a maintenance job, and this job took only two hours, Maintenance is something that never ends in a hotel, for example if a pipe breaks we have to cut the floor and this is part of Common Maintenance works unfortunately there is no other way to fix a pipe, we try to do in the shortest time possible and fix the fault as soon as possible.
As we have said the hotel has had very good changes and the guests are very happy with these changes. the hotel is always at 100% occupancy, this demonstrates the customer satisfaction, since the majority are repetitive guests and this recognition from our guests demonstrates that we are delivering on their needs, We still keep improving to meet the high standards that you deserve and we appreciate your comments about the pool, we are already working on it.
About Wi-Fi, as we have already mentioned, the hotel offers Wi-Fi service in common areas (restaurant, reception, pool), not in the rooms, maybe that's why you did not have Internet access, so far we haven´t hire a person responsible for turn on and off the Wi-Fi, it´s a 24 hrs. service.
Indeed, the hotel runs on massive gas-powered generators, but this is the first time we received a comment about the sound that causes the generator, we apologize if this sound brings bad memories of your stay in Iraq, and we are already working on the generators too.
This is a new administration and our main goal is the satisfaction of our guests, and it´s thanks to our guest’s preference we are members of Small Luxury Hotels and we have to continue maintaining high standards. Le Reve Hotel & Spa is NOT a Time share as you mention it, the Hotel offers a Vacation Club which is not the same. In the Riviera Maya most hotels have their own vacation club. These memberships allow the guests to be part of the hotel; The Hotel is their second home in the Riviera Maya. To be honest we do not understand your discomfort if the Guests are interested in being part of Le Reve Hotel & Spa, You did not have to retire and why you didn´t want to sit next to the sales people and guests interested in the Vacation Club? if they never bothered you, and was very independent from your place, Some guests are interested, some not, the important thing is that we must respect the decisions of each guest, as many guests fall in love of Le Reve and want to come back soon or like you ,who was not entirely satisfied.
We do hope to have another opportunity in the near future, to make your holiday unforgettable. If you decide to give us another chance, please do not hesitate to contact us.