“Amazing for my Wedding”

Ranked #99 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Ann Arbor, MI
“Amazing for my Wedding”
Reviewed 6 June 2014

My husband and I got married at Le Reve on May 25, 2014. It was a fabulous event made spectacular by Arlenis, the Le Reve wedding coordinator. All of the other staff were amazing as well, especially the guys in the restaurant and ladies at the front desk. Arlenis was simply the best. I could not have asked for a better person to work with. She really did everything from her heart. She truly cared about our experience and it showed. All of our guests had a great time and it was a unique and wonderful experience to have all of our wedding guests staying at one SMALL hotel for a long weekend. I felt like I got time with each of my guests. All the vendors we worked with were great as well. The wedding and wedding staff were 5 stars, no doubt about it and the food that the chef prepared for all of our wedding events was delicious!!

That being said, unfortunately from when we visited in April of 2013 to look at the hotel for the wedding to now, the hotel was sold to new ownership and many things were changed. I was not told about this until about March of 2014, 3 months before the wedding. There was not much I could do about the changes and honestly, everything turned out to be ok in the end, but it was a little disconcerting.

The thing I truly hated the most were all of the people buzzing around selling time shares. What drew us to the hotel was the intimacy and fact that we would be at this hotel with our friends/family with no one else there. That was the biggest let down. There were people there the whole weekend being given tours and intruding on what was promised to be a private weekend. I was told in March that this would happen and was promised at that time that no time share people would be there on Sunday, the day of my actual wedding, but that did not happen. They were there being loud and obnoxious until about 1pm on the day of my wedding. The hotel ended up giving me a lot of things to make up for this, which I was happy with, but you can really never make up for that kind of thing. The private, quite, adults only atmosphere was the entire reason I booked this place for my wedding.

I am not sure if I will come back to Le Reve or not. I would love to because of the memories I know have, but I will have to see what happens there in the next year. I get the feeling that the new owners clearly don't want people like me to stay at this hotel anymore. They are now attracting people who want jet skis, kids clubs, the beach to be dredged up and a pier to be put in. They have not put in a pier or dredged the beach yet, but I overheard one of the sellers mention this. If that happens I will DEFINITELY not be back. Le Reve actually has THE BEST stretch of beach of any hotel around. I know, I walked a long way. It is natural, simply gorgeous and not marred by 1000 beach chairs, a pier or loud, annoying jet skis. Yes, you have to wear water shoes, but it is a coral reef! The snorkeling right in front is awesome! If they do anything to change the beach I will absolutely not be back.

Despite my complaints, overall, I had a great experience at Le Reve that I will not forget. I am leaving with happy, joyful memories and I have the staff at Le Reve to thank. I heard that they may not be doing weddings at Le Reve anymore, which is a shame. Even with the changes, I do think it is still a great venue for a destination wedding. So much better than the larger hotels that do 5+ weddings a day. However, if they keep changing things like I have a feeling they are going to, it might be best that they stop with weddings.

Room Tip: Spend the money and get a bungalow. You cannot put a price on waking up to a view like that and bein...
2 Thank ash2815

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
  • Arabic first
El Paso, Texas
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I stayed at this hotel last week, thanks to a 'groupon offer" I paid a third of the full fare, and I am glad, otherwise I would have been very mad. I thought I was getting a bargain after I checked online the regular prices of their rooms, but after being there I wouldn't pay that much to stay there.
Service at the front desk is very poor, the rooms are extremely small, there's no TV, no WIFI, and bad A/C. The pool is nice and the service at the bar and restaurant are good, but the beach is rocky, you cant swim there at all.

2 Thank Karla_R_T
LeReveHotelandSpas, Public Relations at Le Reve Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Dear Karla,
We would like to thank you for expressing your views on TripAdvisor.
There are different categories at the hotel and each category has a different size, the measurements of each category are on the website of the hotel are also displayed photos of each category. Le Reve is a paradise to relax and it is well known that we haven´t TV in the rooms, this information is also listed in the website of the hotel. We offer the internet services only in common areas, Restaurant and lobby. We don´t offer internet services inside the rooms. However we are working over this matter to improve it. The beach in front of the hotel is considered a National property and making any changes to it is strictly prohibited, complimentary slippers are available (crocs) to facilitate the access. We are actually working on a totally ecological project to improve the access to the sea.
We deeply regret not meeting your expectations during your stay at our hotel.
We hope you would like to honor us once more with your visit; we look forward to treat you and your family to the high standard you expect and deserve when visiting Le Reve Hotel & Spa.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

I knew, when pulling up to the resort but being completely confused by the lack of signage, that we were in for something special.

I will start by saying that the greeting staff and wait staff were extremely welcoming, but it ended there. While eating I saw several suits going in and out of the oppressively monolithic building blocking our view of the beach, I asked politely what it was. The office. This ugly building describes perfectly our stay. The salesmen and women were on all fours to accommodate their prospective membership buyers and viewed us as mannequins in a window. Could not believe the conversations we had to endure while trying to relax by the pool, acting and speaking as if we weren't even there. The best is when our waiter accidentally handed us a "members" menu which, upon our confusion, he quickly tucked it under his arm and mumbled something incoherent.

Second killer, the beach. We were told to either grab from the pile of community Crocs to traverse the rocks or walk "3 minutes in either direction" to swim. Both meant walking to other resort's beachfronts. I overheard a seller say to a potential member that they're planning on building some walkway, but didn't help us much. These weren't just rocks, they're the stuff you make arrowheads out of. Beware or enjoy the Crocs.

Third, the weird spoon policy. I asked for two spoons when we returned from town after the kitchen had closed. The front desk said they couldn't because then they would know I was bringing outside food.... For some reason I felt like I was in a prison, not a hotel, when one had to sneakily smuggle said spoons to me in a napkin.

I was assaulted by the strangeness, and overall cheap feeling of Le Reve. Microwaved food, tasteless salesmen meandering around all day, weird windows in which you can see people using the bathrooms if you aren't careful and looking straight ahead. The service was slow at mealtime, and we ended up only doing their all inclusive for one day. The limited wifi created weird conjuring points for peoples looking to check email or look for less boring places to be. The generator did create nice ambiance when the lights flickered.

For the money, with the extra added for all inclusive (sub member) menu, it would be an easy choice to pick another resort. Le Reve has no sense of keeping their guests happy, their only focus is for cash-grab memberships, unless meh food, a dangerous beach and an office that forces you to listen and look at its salesmen all day is your thing.

• Stayed May 2014
4 Thank StuGrimson
LeReveHotelandSpas, Public Relations at Le Reve Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear StuGrimson,

First of all, we respect all our guests, everyone is important to us. In the Riviera Maya 99% of hotels have their own vacation club. These memberships allow the member to be part of the hotel; but the hotel has a very strict policy and is not to disturb the guests, sales people show the hotel in a very discreet manner, you were not ignored. There are different categories at the hotel like many hotels, each category offers additional services and amenities, if you pay for the standard room, you will not have the same privileges as those who paid for the master suite. You can check on the hotel website all the amenities for each category. The “ Members” menu as you call it, is offered as a courtesy to people who are interested in becoming members of the hotel and includes American Breakfast or eggs of your choice, the guest menu includes: Continental Breakfast, Fruit, Smoked Salmon, Bagel, oatmel, Naay Crepe , French Toast, Hot cakes, Eggs Benedict, Motuleños Eggs, Scrambled Eggs, Omelete, Red or Green Chilaquiles. The guest menu has several options, if you are interested we can send the menus , could you please provide us an email address.

About the beach, unfortunately we do not control natural phenomenon, because when these arise rocks are exposed or are carried to the shore, the beach in front of the hotel is considered a National property and making any changes to it is strictly prohibited, complimentary slippers are available (crocs) to facilitate the access. We are actually working on a totally ecological project to improve the access to the sea.
Regarding the food at the resort, our restaurant offer a great variety of food, and is highly recommended by our guests, The Gourmet All Inclusive a la carte is what distinguishes us from many hotels as you can see in previously reviews, our food is of the highest quality, we do not use Microwave Food in fact the hotel does not have a single Microwave oven, that is why we find it very odd your complaint about the Microwave food.

We haven´t any spoon policy, the hotel has a policy “ Outside food and drinks are not allowed inside of the hotel”, like many hotels, for reasons of hygiene and quality and this is mentioned on the registration card that the guest sign upon arrival
About the Internet, We offer the internet services only in common areas, Restaurant and lobby. We don´t offer internet services inside the rooms. However we are working over this matter to improve it.

StuGrimson, unfortunately we have not found any record of you, because you are using a nickname to write this review. I´m afraid your review is bad intentioned and we don´t know if you are writing bad reviews only for discredit the hotel, maybe you are the guest who was not allowed to enter with food from outside and threatened us to write bad reviews of Le Reve.

For many years Le Reve Hotel & Spa has been considered one of the most charming hotels in the Riviera Maya, Le Reve Hotel never will lose his charm.

Le Reve Hotel & Spa.
Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

We booked here because when looking online back in February there were mainly good reviews. I also found the room designs and the size of the resort appealing. If I were to rate solely on those a elements this hotel would receive a relatively good review. The rooms are nice looking - the designers had taste and the resort was small, not one of those huge places, which I thought would be good for us considering that we usually book at more intimate smaller hotels.

Unfortunately, the experience was less than pleasant and I've noticed a similar pattern other recent reviews. Here are our reasons:

1. Upon arrival we were introduced with a nice drink (which was great) and shown to our room. In the room, the AC remote was broken, which the concierge tried to play off as that it was set to a specific temperature that if we fussed with it would in turn break the AC unit. Next, there wasn't any hot water. We called and they sent a repair person to fix it. After 5 minutes if rusting water and the plumber waiting for it to become hot, we were able to wash our hands. Then when we requested an iron, (I would expect there to be one available in a luxury hotel room as guests would probably want to iron their clothes for dinner or evenings out) the iron was broken and leaked water. For room details, there wasn't a television - not that we needed a tv but that's usually standard, and there wasn't any wifi in the room.

2. Next, as other guests have mentioned the sales reps that pay more care and attention to future clients than current, we noticed this as well. I understand that their trying to confirm that they will always be at full capacity and want to obtain 'members' aka time shares, but we thought they were far too transparent about this. They wined and dined a particular couple for a total of 5 hours. Giving them free drinks and free food and trying every pitch in the book. They even had the current member come over to applaud the greatness of the hotel. We heard the sales people remarking about how the food for 'all-inclusive' guests wasn't very good but that members would receive a different menu and food. I'm guessing members would also receive wifi in their rooms? This whole shenanigan wasn't making me want to return or become a member.

3. As for the new office building. What a poor decision to build your office in front of the guest rooms directly blocking the water. I mean really? And the 'kids club' room with the gross concrete floor and sisal mats was not impressive.

4. The food. On the first night we thought the food was pretty good. Not very many options for us vegetarians, but that is expected. We did recognize the passive aggressiveness of the waiter, who told us we could have the guacamole, even though it wasn't on the dinner menu only on the snacks menu. After it didn't come for our appetizers or our entrees we asked why not and he confusingly asked us if we'd like to wait until after, being nice we agreed and thought maybe it would come as a desert. The guac never came and he completely avoided the issue. For breakfast the hot cakes were clearly microwaved versions not any better than McDonald's hotcakes. And on a trip to Walmart we saw the same lemon ice cream pie desert in the freezer for 1/4 of the cost for entire pie. I mean exactly the same with the same slice of lime in the whip cream!

5. Lastly, they did this sort of scam where they try to charge you in American dollars rather than pesos, but also charge you an exchange fee and an increased tax fee. I first noticed when my additional all-inclusive day and drink fees were higher in usd than as calculated. In doing the math it was a better deal to be charged the 3% international fee from my cc company by paying in pesos than to pay in USD. I'm still disputing with them regarding our room rate as I agreed to pay a specific amount on the travel site where I booked. They want to charge a whole more because they're saying it's the cost of taxes but on my bill from the travel site taxes are listed and included. At a check out I asked for the receipts and paperwork copies. They didn't have a copy machine and refused to give me the documentation. I had to photograph the papers with my phone. Completely unprofessional! I think that's the most frustrating part is that a hotel should be accommodating and focusing on customer service. This place does not respect the etiquette and is failing incredibly. I will not return or recommend.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank louryne
Dear Louryne,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on Tripadvisor. We value all guest feedback as an opportunity to continue improving our services.
Having read your comments I apologize for the unfortunate incidents you experiences in our facilities whilst staying with us. About the incident with the AC remote control, was not broken, we changed the batteries and it worked again. The hotel has 10 irons and 10 ironing boards, which can be used any time that the guest request, we haven´t any complaint or report from you about the iron or hot water problems, our Guest Service staff is always available for assisting our clients and we are sure that if you would have mentioned any discontentment to us, it would have been a pleasure for us to help you. We offer the internet services only in common areas, Restaurant and lobby. We don´t offer internet services inside the rooms. However we are working over this matter to improve it.
Regarding the Vacation Club, the hotel has a policy not to disturb the current guests, there isn´t a special menu for members, people who are interested in purchasing a membership are offered a complimentary breakfast (American breakfast) or eggs of their choice while they visit the hotel.
Our restaurant offer a great variety of food, and is highly recommended by our guests, The Gourmet All Inclusive a la carte is what distinguishes us from many hotels as you can see in previously reviews, our food is of the highest quality, we do not use Microwave Food in fact the hotel does not have a single Microwave oven. We do not buy our desserts in Wal-Mart; the food is prepared by our Executive Chef. As we mentioned we distinguish ourselves by service and quality and we have a long list of reviews that we can quote regarding the good service and the food at the hotel, we don´t have any complaint from you regarding the service or the situation that you mentioned.
The exchange rate that we charged was the current exchange rate that you CC Company had the day that the payment was made. We deeply regret the incident ay your check out , please provide us your email in order that we can send you the receipts and paperwork that you need.
We do hope to have another opportunity in the near future, to make your holiday unforgettable. If you decide to give us another chance, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Sincerely.
Le Reve Hotel and Spa
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 27 May 2014

As many other reviewers have said, this place is clearly in a transition. There were many aspects of the hotel that were disappointing. I have traveled to a lot of places all over the world. This was the first time I felt compelled to write a review about a poor experience.

1 Room - My husband and I paid for the garden room with a plunge pool. However the plunge pool did not work. There was a mini fridge in the room, however it never worked. When I asked the front desk about getting a new one, they said that they were broken. I asked for ice and they wanted to charge me $2/bucket of ice. The air conditioning went out every night and the room was sweltering. We didn't want to open the window because we also had cockroaches in the room and other people had bats and major bugs in their rooms. **The sheets were never changed in the 5 days stay. I understand the concept of saving water by reducing laundry, but thought this was unacceptable.
2 Food and service - the food was very good, however the service was disappointing. Lunch often took 1-2hours to arrive. I received a dish that I did not order and when I told them I couldn't eat it (due to dietary restrictions), they told me that I had to pay for it anyway. I insisted I did not.
3 Pool - the pool area and view is now obstructed by a newly constructed, poorly placed administrative building. There aren't many chairs by the pool, no real entrance into the pool, and no umbrellas to shade yourself.
4 Overall - During the day, dozens of sales meetings were going on. This was very odd because they seemed to put more effort and salesmanship into selling to future guests that making their current guests happy.

For such a steep price tag, I expected more. I would not return to La Reve and think there are many, nicer, more customer-focused places in the area.

4 Thank boston_traveler0808
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 23 May 2014

On April 26 my husband and I hosted our daughter’s wedding weekend at Le Reve. We have been reliving and relishing those memories ever since.

Two things recommend Le Reve: the people who work there and the natural beauty and intimacy of the surroundings.

Like others, I first and foremost want to express our deepest admiration, respect and gratitude to Arlenis, the wedding coordinator at Le Reve. Arlenis’ has an unfailing dedication to making the “dreams of her brides” come true no matter what--and always doing it with a smile. By staying on top of all that needed to happen when we were on property, Arlenis allowed us the privilege of just enjoying our guests and celebration, stress-free. But most of all, she helped to make my daughter’s dreams come true and for that we will be eternally grateful to her.

Similarly, the staff at Le Reve--from those at the front desk, to the wait staff to people tending the property--was responsive and friendly. No matter what the request, they tried to be accommodating while conveying their desire that this be a wonderful wedding weekend for the couple and all of our guests.

I also echo others’ positive reviews about the quality of the food at Le Reve. While the menu was not extensive, the creative selections, quality of the ingredients and preparation were outstanding for such a small venue. This was true both for catering three wedding parties for130 people as it was for a meal for two in the restaurant.

LeReve is a very small hotel with vistas that unfold into glorious shades of blue from pool to ocean to sky. The layout of the hotel invites guests to share time together without distractions around the pool or on the beach. We were blessed with beautiful weather all weekend, so that guests who did not know one another when they arrived, departed as good friends with shared experiences and memories.

While our memories of the wedding weekend are very fond, all was not perfect. As a very small venue, Le Reve does not have the infrastructure and amenities that larger hotels typically have. The air conditioning in the rooms sometimes breaks down and the water pressure in the showers is not terrific. The day of the wedding, the air conditioning unit in our room broke down. While not optimal, they immediately called in service people and it was repaired within a couple of hours. That said, our room (Master Suite) was large with a comfortable bed and a spectacular terrace overlooking the property and beach. We slept great every night!

Our greatest concern and complaint was what some others mentioned. Between the time we signed the contract and our wedding in late April, the hotel was sold. That change in ownership was not shared with us, as we continued to make non-refundable payments that effectively locked us in to having our wedding there. The new owners have a different vision for this intimate venue and began widespread construction that we learned about only by reading increasingly disturbing Trip Advisor reviews. When we contacted the hotel multiple times to get information as to what the plans were and when construction was going to be completed, we were unable to get straight answers.

This caused us great anxiety about what the place would look like and the experience that our wedding guests would have when staying there after having pre-paid steep room rates. Worse yet, this lack of transparency caused us to question the integrity of the new owners, who now held the outcome of our daughter’s wedding in their hands.

With the wedding now over and having had the opportunity to meet at least one of the new owners, my recommendation to the new owners is to treat their customers with respect and be candid with them. That more than anything will build trust and loyalty. LeReve already has a superlative staff and a fabulous property (except for that weirdly disconnected and ugly white concrete sales building that blocks the view of the ocean for many rooms in lieu of the charming open-air beach bar that previously occupied the space). Let people know what your vision and plans are for this venue—particularly those who are committed to or considering hosting events at LeReve so they can make informed decisions about what Le Reve is going to be rather than the intimate, rustic venue it once was.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Donna G
Reviewed 23 May 2014

I got married at Le Reve on April 26, 2014. If this review were solely about Arlenis, the wedding coordinator, and the Le Reve staff, they would receive 5 stars, more if I could. As alluded to below by the other reviewers, Arlenis is truly stellar. She cares about her brides and is personally invested in executing a personal, flawless event. All with a smile and grace. I cannot say enough good things about her or recommend her more highly. As well as the rest of the staff, from the front desk to the restaurant. They are a truly wonderful team.

However, with the new owners and the direction they seem to be taking the hotel, I cannot give this hotel 5-stars. We chose Le Reve because it was a hidden, unique, intimate hotel among the massive all-inclusive resorts. It had personality and charm. From the changes the new owners have made to date (horribly ugly kids club and office building blocking the beach view, removing rustic wood floors to replace with shiny, slippery new ones, time share sellers swarming the small hotel, etc...) it does not seem like the Le Reve that we had originally chosen will be the same for future guests.

Yes the internet is slow and power goes out from time to time - I actually really liked that about the old Le Reve. It was a true rustic escape. The hotel is certainly not perfect and we too had very minor issues with things like no hot water in showers or broken AC units. These things are forgivable and forgettable under normal circumstances but when you're already frustrated due to construction and a perceived lack of dishonesty from the ownership, they become a bigger deal.

The new owners seem like capable businessmen. Le Reve could possibly become a very nice, shiny, all-inclusive hotel and vacation club to join all the rest in the Cancun area. But it certainly doesn't seem like it will be the hidden, rustic gem it was before. And that's a real shame.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Margaret B
LeReveHotelandSpas, Public Relations at Le Reve Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
First of all, Congratulations on your recent marriage! We are honored that you chose to share this incredibly special occasion with us at Le Reve Hotel & Spa. We are delighted to hear your feedback about your wedding day was everything you imagined it would be. I have shared your kind words with our entire staff! We will be sure to pass along your compliments to Arlenis our wedding coordinator.
Regarding the hotel, we regret that you have not liked the changes, effectively we are now a family all inclusive hotel. And as you mention in your comment the new owners are very capable businessmen and it is thanks to them that we are now members of Small Elegant Hotels and We are a 2014 TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence Winner. Le Reve has been considered one of the most charming hotels at the Riviera Maya, not just because of the facilities; le Reve is the experience, the staff, the food. Le Reve will never lose his charm.
Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to Le Reve Hotel and Spa.

Best Regards