“Room for improvement”

Le Reve Hotel & Spa
Ranked #99 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 2 December 2008

On the plus side Le Reve is small, quiet, with a fantastic location on the beach and with excellent views from the premium rooms.
The setting is tranquil, although with a large hotel being constructed about 200m to the north, it remains to be seen if this will be so in future.
Our large room on the top floor was very clean and most of the staff do their best to please. There is a decent size pool and a small gym.

On the other hand we felt there was room for improvement, for example:-
There is no reception/concierge desk. Nor is there any directory of hotel facilities in the room [why not?]. This meant a phone enquiry for even the simplest questions.
We had a spacious premium room. We knew there was no TV - for us, that was an attraction - but other furniture was minimal. No bath either, even though there was plenty of room for one. Not even a door between WC and bedroom! There was no overhead lighting on our terrace, and minimal lighting in the room. Remember it gets dark early in this part of Mexico!
Poor lighting extended to the restaurant area where on some tables it was almost impossible to read the menu.
The food itself was beautifully presented, but portions were small and prices expensive. The main menu only changed once in the 4 nights we were there. Sometimes there was a full dessert menu, sometimes there was not.
On our final morning, we had to leave at 8am, and arrived for breakfast at 730, [we had been told on arrival that breakfast was served from 730 to 11am], only to be told that it was served from 8am! Result - unnecessary last-minute hassle and
no coffee!
On check-out there was no itemisation of the final bill, so no way of checking its accuracy.

Our stay was enjoyable, and the peaceful ambience of the place does grow on you. If you know what to expect you will probably like it, but we felt a few small improvements could make a big difference.

Reviewed 25 November 2008

The service at Le Reve was second to none. While my wife and I were enjoying our stay the owners of the resort were there and made sure that we were well looked after.
The view of the sea was amazing from our beach front villa. The infinity pool and drinks around the bar spoiled us.
Dining at the restaurant is a must. Fresh and healthy food for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
I read that some customers wrote about a hidden 10% service charge. However, just before our reservation was made there are clear instructions about the 10% service charge.
Our one week stay was so quiet and relaxing that my wife and I are already talking about our next visit. Who knows, maybe next time we may even get off the grounds to head into Playa or visit Tulum.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 November 2008

My boyfriend and I, along with another couple, stayed at Le Reve during the first week in October. We ended up in the area because a friend was having a destination wedding in the area. Guests were staying at a variety of hotels, mostly in Playa. Fortunantly, we found Le Reve, which really is a wonderful hotel.

Playa
We did not care for the town of Playa at all and frankly can't understand why in the world people would go there. Perhaps many years ago it was quaint. Not, it is very touristy (and low-end tourists at that) and filled with chain restuarants, t-shirt and tatoo shops, bad food, etc. It was like the Myrtle beach of Mexico. There was not one positive thing that I can say about Playa. We had to go into town far more than we would have liked for wedding activities. We were always so happy to get back to Le Reve at night.

Hotel Le Reve
Overall we were very pleased with Le Reve. The service was amazing. The staff is incredibly attentive and really looks after you.

We booked a top floor room, but the first night we were placed in a beach-front bungalow bc our room was not yet free. The bungalow was very nice, but the top floor room blew it away. It is so large, has an amazing patio and a beautiful view. My friend stayed in a garden room, and it was pretty bad. It didn't even have a masquito net around the bed (which is vital). The bugs were so bad in their room, they asked to be upgraded to a 2nd floor room, which the staff did comp them to. The thrid floor room aslo didn't have any bug problems. Overall, rooms are very clean but they are a bit rustic.. Beds and linnens are very lovely, though. AC worked great.

The beach & ocean wer very nice, though as others have mentioned, it is very rocky in the water and makes it really a bear to get in and out of the water.

The food at the hotel was good. If it cost about 1/3 less, I would have felt I was getting my money's worth. But, the portions are small & the quality is good but def not great. Breakfast was probably the best meal of the day. We did have the chef prepare us an off-the menu entree one night, which was really lovely. The food quality was better than our off the menu items, and we had it served to us in the private massage area that overlooks the beach and water, which was really special. A must-do. Another must do is head to a restaurant called John Gray's in Playa. Its the only decent restaurant we found in playa (although Gray's is wonderful). We went there 3 times in one week. Highly reccoment it.

There are two main problems with Le Reve - the masquitos and the road that leads into the hotel. The masquitos would actually be a reason I would consider not returning. Though the staff had plenty of bug spray to pass out, it was still a very annoying part of the trip. The road it is just terrible. It would take about 20 minutes to get from the hotel back to the main road because it was so horrible (making it a 30 - 40 minute cab ride to Playa). The cab company that the hotel would call for us to go into town was familiar with the road, so they would not complain. However, when we would get cabs in the city to bring us home at night, it was always a nightare. We would tell the cabbies "El calle es muy mal" (the road is very bad) but we would just get varying degrees of attitude from the drivers once we hit the road to Le Reve - some essentially yelling and cursing at us, some demanding more moeny due to the road conditions - and I don't blame them, it was horrible & really tough on the cars. You would have to ride through holes in the road that looked like landmines had exploded (no joke) and the water would be up to the floor of the car. On a few occassions, we thought the cabbies were going to stop and make us get out mid-way (which would have been VERY scary, although this never happend). On the last night we were there, our cab did get stuck in the mud on the way home. Thankfully, we were able to get in touch with the hotel (which was fortunante bc there is not someone answering the phone past 10 or so). They came and got us and promised us they would go back to help the cabbie. The road was really a detraction. Had we not had to go into town so much, it wouldn't have been as big of a deal.

There are a few negatives to Le Reve, but I think it's all about being prepared (primarily about the road). If you can get past that & the bugs, you will have the most enjoyable stay. The staff and the service makes this a gem.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 November 2008

On a positive note . . . . Very clean/cozy resort. Friendly and courteous staff help. Peaceful with beautiful coastal views. Very comfortable beds. Good selection of dining experiences. Unfortunately, this boutique hotel needs much improvement to be considered as a notable resort. Negatives: If you rent a car, good luck finding the location. No signs, no map on their website, phone wasn't answered when I attempted to call. Many Taxis didn't even know this location since it's so off the beaten path. After 2 more hours of driving aimlessly, I found it. The first night I stayed in a groundfloor/garden suite. More like kitchen suite at 7am with staff preparing breakfast next door. Small room with no locking doors leading to garden. The next room was like stepping out of the basement into a slice of heaven. Spend the extra money to select the top rooms or you will be disappointed. Not a swim friendly beach: nice sandy beach but reefs in the water make it a little tender on the feet. Checkout was a nightmare! No one was in the office nor was the phone answered when I tried calling them or concierge. When I was able to contact them, they still hadn't prepared my bill. They couldn't process the credit card over the phone line. I checked over the bill and noticed there were several charges on it that weren't mine. After they recalculated it, I still was paying more than my charges but by this time I had only 2 hours to get to the airport/customs/security so ended up paying the extra bucks. This last correspondence with them really left a bad impression of my experience with Le Reve. Good luck

• Stayed: November 2008
3  Thank hello_travelaround
Reviewed 16 November 2008

After rereading some of the reviews on this site, I think it is time to be honest about this hotel. This is definitely not a five star hotel. It is a 3-3.5 star hotel trying oh so hard to be a 4 star hotel. The location is spectacular. The outlay of the hotel is beautiful. The view from the second floor and third floor suites are great and panoramic. The view from the bungalows are spectacular as well. Their is no view from the garden view rooms. There is construction 100 meters down the beach on a huge hotel, and one night the noise from the trucks and tractors lasted until 1 AM. Thankfully, that was only one night, but the noise was constant during the day and ruined any ambiance you could get from the patios on your room. The worst part of the rooms...how can you charge more than $300 a night for a room where for 2 nights there was absolutely no hot water? For that matter, no water at all. When everyone was taking a shower, there was not enough pressure to get to the third floor. This cannot be tolerated in a hotel trying to provide a luxury experience. In fact, that is our major complaint. This hotel is charging big boy prices for really a rustic sort of experience. I think the price would probably be fair at one half what they are charging for what they are providing.
The service is plus minus. The managerial staff are great and very helpful. The restauraunt staff are mixed. 95% are awesome. One guy there was horrible and ruined it for us because he was around all of the time.
One very slimy thing the hotel managment does is charge a 10% service charge that we did not become aware of until check out time. I asked what that was for and they said for tips for the staff. Now the problem with that is that we were not told this at check in and we were tipping ourselves the whole time. I really hope that they are distributing this money to the staff but I have my doubts. Whenever we would ask the staff how we could tip them (there was no area on the checks for this ) they replied it is "complicated". They never mentioned that they are recieving quite a bit of tips from us. It came out to more than $30 dollars a day just from us alone.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with friends
2  Thank nyckk
Reviewed 13 November 2008

My wife and I just spent 4 nights at Le Reve. We loved the hotel, and thorougly enjoyed our stay. Let me clarify a few things. If you have your expectations in the right place, this hotel is fantastic!

Service: Wonderful service, attentive and friendly staff. This is not 4 Seasons type service, but more Bed and Breakfast type friendly service. The only "non-positive" thing I can say is that not all the staff were full knowledgeable about everything at the hotel. This was mainly due to the fact that there were 2 people working that had just started there.

Rooms: We had a beach bungalow with the prvt plunge pool. It was fantastic, but its very simple. Very high end linens on an extremely large and comfortable bed. We did kill about 2 dozen mosquitos in the 4 nights we were there. We saw other guests joking about how many bug bites they had. This was not a problem for us, but if you're expecting 4 Seasons luxury, mosquitos and the odd roach may ruin your stay. Just know what to expect. There's a mosquito net around the bed, so use it when you got to sleep. You also cannot call out from the phone in your room. You'll have to call the office and have them place the call for you and transfer it back to your room. They were more than happy to do this for us, and they also let me use their computer. I don't know if the website mentions it, but there aren't any TV's (which for us was great!). There was an IPOD (with an eclectic mix of music) and IPOD docking station to play your IPOD. The AC worked great, but we really didn't need it. Temp was mid 60's at night.

Food/Drinks: Overall the food was very good. Our rate included the continental breakfast (toast, juice, coffee) but other typical breakfast entrees could be ordered for a price. I was a little surprised by the food prices, but I don't think its really overpriced. Entrees range from $19-$40. The menu is pretty limited, but if you ask the servers for advice they'll often tell you about what else the chef can prepare. 2 nights I ordered entrees that weren't on the menu. Just remember that the food prices at the restaurant will be typical of any up-scale US restaurant in most US Cities. I was also surprised by the drink prices. Beer $4 and cocktails $9 and up. The $9 margarita was pretty unimpressive. We went to a local store and bought some beer and other drinks to keep in our room. One of the nice things is that all the prices for food and drinks include a 15% tip. This makes it convenient and makes the prices seem a little lower. If you're a wine connoiseur you may be disappointed. I'm not a wine expert so the wine list was fine, but its fairly limited. 25 btls of red and 25 btls of white aprox.

Beach/Pool: The service here is fantastic. They put out cushions on all the beach/pool chairs every morning and then put towels down on top of all the cushions. They have 6 or so "Palapas" on the beach with beach chairs underneath them. We didn't have any problems getting chairs, but it may be difficult if the hotel is full. There was only 8 rooms (of 25) occupied while we were there and on Sat and Sun all the Palapas were taken (but there was still open chairs around the pool. They'll bring you drinks on the beach/pool and cool wet towels to cool off with. They clean the beach in front of the hotel every morning (and rake the sand too!?!?!?!?) It's not ideal for swimming due to the rockiness from the waterline in. They do have diving shoes/aqua socks that you can use to go into the water. We used these to go swimming and it worked fine (but I wouldn't recommend it barefoot). You can walk down the beach about 100yds in either direction and find less rocks and an easier way to swim. There are much larger resorts located fairly close by so you will see a number of people walking the beach in front of Le Reve. It was never a problem for us, but there is a huge resort located just South of the Le Reve.

Language: I speak Spanish, but my wife doesn't . Just about everyone seemed to speak English, and most very well. There was also some French spoken (I think the owner is French). About 1/2 the guests were from the US/Canada, and the other half seemed to be French/European. The day we left there was a couple there from Mexico. All over Playa del Carmen, just about anywhere you go, someone speaks English. All our cabdrives spoke at least some English. If you speak Spanish, all the better, but you certainly don't need to.

Playa del Carmen: We were somewhat disappointed with Playa. Its very touristy. The main street and the beach are dominated by bars/restaurants catering to Americans/Europeans. T-shirt shops, Hard Rock, Johhny Rockets, etc. We didn't realize Playa was so touristy. We managed to find two great authentic mexican restaurants to eat in while we there. El Fogon is one (its on tripadvisor). Just ask any taxidriver and they'll take you there. We also ate a great "taqueria" called "Estilo y Sabor Mexicano". The taqueria was great. I'm pretty sure they don't get a lot of gringos there, but its great. You may not find much English spoken there, but the menu has pic's and pretty much all they serve are tacos.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 October 2008

All I can do is concur with all of the other reviews (except the person who complained about the food) and reiterate that this place will surpass your expectations in every way. I went there on my honeymoon and my wife and I were completely blown away with everything…especially the food. A couple little highlights from our trip…

We took a shuttle arranged by the resort in from Cancun and yes, you go down the craziest little dirt path to get to this place through the jungle that you can imagine. Don’t be alarmed or worried that you’re getting kidnapped or robbed or anything. As we said, it just added to the charm. Upon arrival at the resort, the gates opened up and we were met with absolute heaven on earth.

CUSTOMER SERVICE
We were greeted almost immediately with a waiter who brought us the freshest fruit cocktails imaginable and everything just got better from there. When we got to our room, (which was spectacular by the way) the biggest, freshest bouquet of flowers awaited us along with a huge heart made of rose petals laid out perfectly on the bed. My wife asked if I had arranged all of that and I wish I could have taken credit for it, but it was all Le Reve’s doing.

We had dinner that night and they set us up for private dining in the massage area because it was sprinkling a little and they wanted to be sure we didn’t get rained on, but wanted to make it special and away from the restaurant and other guests. Since the massage area had an open roof, they actually put a tarp up for us…just in case. We were told by another guest that they actually cut down some of the palm leaves on one of the trees so we would have a better view of the ocean during our meal. They did all of this unbeknownst to us while we were getting ready in our room. We leave our room to head to dinner and there is a torch-lit path from our door to the top of the massage area which had been completely converted to the most romantic private dinner you could ever imagine. Our waiter provided us with the best possible service you could ever have. And the meal was absolutely one of the best meals either of us has ever had. Not sure what the person who said the food wasn’t all that great is talking about. We would put this and every other meal we had there up against anywhere in the world.

The next day we had scheduled massages. The resort was only set up to do one person at a time…I guess they only keep one masseuse on staff. But, we asked them if there was any way for us to both get it done at the same time since we were on our honeymoon, wanted to be together, etc. They actually called in another masseuse especially for us so we could go together. When it was time to get the massages, we opened the door to our room to find someone waiting for us with umbrellas to walk us up there. It was sprinkling a little and I guess they wanted our 20 foot walk to be dry. Very nice touch.

PEOPLE
I don’t even know where to start with this. Every member of the Le Reve staff was so incredible and took such great care of us on every detail. In no particular order, the owner’s name is Clemen and she is an amazing young woman who obviously gets how this business should operate. Her dream has always been to own a resort and she is living out her dream to the fullest. We could have spent hours talking to her as she was so welcoming and interesting and helpful with anything. Simply lovely!!!

Eric, the Chef, was actually one of the first people to introduce himself. His meals were some of the finest food we have ever had. Everything he prepared was made with great pride and took on much more of the form of works of art than just food. From the freshly baked rolls for breakfast to the thermadore lobster for dinner…he nailed every dish.

Antonio was our waiter in the evenings. I touched on it before, but this guy completely bent over backward for us. He felt like more of a friend who’d been working for our family for years than a waiter we just had for a couple of days. He was so pleasant and charming and witty. He was never on top of us and he was never very far away. He took such great care of us and could easily work in any of the finest restaurants in the world.

Emiliano was sort of our morning waiter, although he was much more than that. He took great care of us for anything we wanted from the restaurant or bar throughout the day. You want coffee and breakfast on the beach? No problem. And poof…he has a team of people setting up special lounge chairs with freshly tucked in towels and end tables with a breakfast spread and fresh coffee in a snap. Like Antonio, he was never on top of us, but never far away. He even brought us a bag of snorkeling gear in case we wanted to try that out…not because we asked for it, but because he thought we might want to have it.

Jacqueline was sort of our personal concierge…or at least she felt like it. Although I’m sure she felt that way to everyone. She was the one who took care of all of the scheduling and met us at the door with umbrellas for our walk to the spa. She lined up the double massage and rides to and from the airport. She made the check-in and check-out process flawless. She was amazing and was never far away for anything we may have wanted. Just let her know what you need and she would figure out a way to make it happen.

COMPLAINT
The only complaint I have is that I wish we were still there or I wish we could have figured out a way to bring Le Reve’s amazing staff home with us. Can’t wait to go back and visit them all again!!!

Sincerely -