“Le Reve is Beautiful”

Le Reve Hotel & Spa
Ranked #105 of 217 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 3 December 2008

Extremely beautiful setting. The grounds are immaculate, the design of the pool, restaurant and rooms is very chic. All the staff were very pleasant to us (Henry with his big smile especially). We stayed in a beach bungalow and the bed was very comfortable, with beautiful linens. The Ipod in the room was a nice touch. One other advisor pointed out the 'river rock' design in the floor, and I will say it was a little hard on my bare feet directly in front of the sink. It looks pretty but the river rock should be moved to between the sinks, IMHO. We had a beautiful view of the beach and the sun rise, while lying in bed. I would suggest incorporating screen doors onto the sliding doors, because there were times when the ocean breeze was lovely, and we would have preferred to keep our doors open, but without screen doors we would have let in mosquitoes. We heard no construction the 3 days/nights we were there.
The beach is wide with very comfortable lounge chairs, covered with cushions and fresh towels daily. For people who enjoy the pool more than the beach, this is the place for you - the infinity pool is divine, and looks out towards the ocean. For people who want to spend a lot of time at the ocean's edge, and in the ocean directly in front of the hotel, you will need to take water shoes with you to get past the limestone/coral reef before you can get out to swimming depth.
We were lucky enough to notice that after we had booked the room directly with the hotel, locogringo.com was offering the same room at a 15% discount. I asked Le Reve if they would extend the discount to our booking and they did without hesitation. We were aware from the web site that a 10% service charge would be added to our bill, so we only tipped above that if we felt the service warranted, which it always did. Food and drink is expensive, on par with prices one would pay in any big American city. The Naay restaurant is beautiful, the place settings are top notch. The food itself was very good, and presented nicely. Service was great. I particularly liked the Lime soup and had it twice. Evenings were very cool, and quite windy. There are no walls on the restaurant and the few wind guards did not keep the chill off me. Take a sweater and pants for those cool nights.

Reviewed 3 December 2008

We stayed at Le Reve last week, we actually live in the area but decided to go over there to celebrate our annivrsary for at least one night, we had heard so many good things about this hotel so we decided to try it.
Our stay was really good, above average but it wasn't excellent. It was complicated to find the hotel and there are plenty of signs indicating how to get to the hotel, not like one person said in a review that we read here. When we first arrived at the property the security guard approached us, we had our car and we immediately told him that we were coming to stay and I gave him my name ... he looked at his notepad and asked if we were going to see someone, we mentioned again that we were staying there, that we had a reservation, and he kept looking at his notepad and asked again if we had an appointment or something like that, please note that we were speaking in Spanish and he didn't understand, finally some other security guard came and asked us again the same thing, so we told him again the same thing and finally he called someone on his radio and they told him to let us in. It's not the typical front desk area with desks or counters or anything like that, they just have like a little living room and that's where you check in, really nice and quiet. Our room was ready when we arrived, which was around noon, so we went immediately to the room to get changed and go down to the beach. We had a garden view room, we had a really nice garden view and from our room we were able to see the ocean too. The rooms are small but beautiful, very simple and clean looking. There's no TV, so be prepared. We both think that an iPod dock (or at least cd player) would be good in the room, it's nice to be in a quiet hotel, but some music would be nice. The bathrooms are beautiful, the shower is nice too. We were unpacking and getting ready to head down to the beach when I hear someone talking right next to our door and all of a sudden I see someone opening our door and with two other people they were entering, when they noticed I was standing right in front of them and I was like "hola!" the lady apologized and walked out ... didn't really bother us, however I did call the concierge immediately to let her know that someone from her staff entered our room, it seemed like she was doing a tour of the property to other clients. The concierge apologized as well, but no big deal, we are no high maintenance, but I'm sure anyone else would have been super mad!
The beach is very quiet, the water is nice, although it's a little rocky is you want to go into the ocean. We ordered something to drink, the waiter was quick and brought our drinks immediately, however, he didn't come back to check on us, so I had to go to the bar to ask for a drink, then the waiter showed up immediately and we actually ordered some food as well. The service was pretty quick. In overall it was fine, but we also think that the beach/pool area is too quiet, again, as I said it's nice to be in a quiet hotel, that's what we were looking for, but some nice, relaxing, lounge music wouldn't be bad, there was no music at all by the pool area, we are not the salsa type people, we just think that some chill out or lounge music would be fine in that area.

We had dinner in the restaurant, the food was great! the stuffed jalapenos with goat cheese are awesome!!! The staff is really nice, the waiter (I don't remember his name) was very attentive and constantly checked on us without being annoying. There was only one more couple in the restaurant, so it was nice.

The beds are sooo comfy, we loved them! we both slept so well. The next morning we ordered room service, they were pretty quick. The continental breakfast is included, but my boyfriend also ordered scrambled eggs, they were good, but I think overpriced, honestly, for what they are, we just thought it was a bit expensive for scrambled eggs.

We hung out at the hotel during the morning and left around noon. The checkout was pretty quick, no complications. Oh! the day of our arrival we noticed that we hadn't brought our toothpaste, so I called the concierge to see if they could get me one with housekeeping, they didn't have one but they did offer to go to Oxxo (c-store) for one. When we came back from the beach our toothpaste was already there, that was nice.

Overall the hotel is great, small, quiet, relaxing, and beautiful, we really didn't find anything wrong, except for the things that I already mentioned. We strongly recommend it for couples, honemooners.

Reviewed 2 December 2008

We just returned from a 5 night stay that was the second part of our honeymoon in the Riviera Maya. This hotel is absolutely beautiful. We stayed in one of the beachfront rooms with the private plunge pool, and it was amazing - we woke up to watch the sunrise every morning over the Caribbean, and fell asleep to the sound of waves crashing on the shore. The grounds are also beautifully maintained, they rake the beach every morning, and the pool area is gorgeous. But (and for us this was a big "but"), we were very disappointed in the food, especially at the prices charged. We ate dinner at the hotel the first night, paid $23 for a half-roast chicken that was literally one chicken breast, and $17 for soup that was so salty it was inedible. With drinks, the meal was $120, which we would have happily paid had the food been good - this was vacation after all - but was way too much money for the food we were served. We mentioned that we were very disappointed in our meal to the manager, and while she was apologetic, she didn't do anything to rectify the situation. Sending a bottle of wine or even a fruit plate to our room would have gone a long way toward making us feel better about the situation. And to top it off, they tried to charge us for this meal a second time when we checked out, even though we'd paid in cash the first night! They took it off the bill when I pointed it out (after making me stand there for 10 minutes while they tried to figure it out, with our cab waiting downstairs to take us to the airport), but it was still pretty annoying. The other meals we had were mixed - breakfast was pretty good, lunch was ok (although the staff got miffed when I asked for more than two leaves of lettuce with my $15 chicken caesar salad.) We actually opted to stay here over the Rosewood Mayakoba, because we were concerned the food and drinks there would break our budget. We went to the Rosewood for lunch and dinner however, and the prices there were comparable if not less than at Le Reve for a level of quality and service that Le Reve did not even come close to meeting! Otherwise, the service was good, but this hotel is pretty secluded, not many other options (although Petite Lafitte, down the beach to the left a bit, has decent reasonably priced food), and feeling hesitant to stay at the resort for lunch and dinner really affected our stay - it just made it a lot less relaxing, and is the main reason we likely would not return. The other is the beach - while very pretty to look at, the water's edge was very rocky and we didn't even go in the water. We went into Playa del Carmen several times while we were there, which was fun. About a 15 minute cab ride, and plenty of restaurants to choose from there.

Reviewed 2 December 2008

On the plus side Le Reve is small, quiet, with a fantastic location on the beach and with excellent views from the premium rooms.
The setting is tranquil, although with a large hotel being constructed about 200m to the north, it remains to be seen if this will be so in future.
Our large room on the top floor was very clean and most of the staff do their best to please. There is a decent size pool and a small gym.

On the other hand we felt there was room for improvement, for example:-
There is no reception/concierge desk. Nor is there any directory of hotel facilities in the room [why not?]. This meant a phone enquiry for even the simplest questions.
We had a spacious premium room. We knew there was no TV - for us, that was an attraction - but other furniture was minimal. No bath either, even though there was plenty of room for one. Not even a door between WC and bedroom! There was no overhead lighting on our terrace, and minimal lighting in the room. Remember it gets dark early in this part of Mexico!
Poor lighting extended to the restaurant area where on some tables it was almost impossible to read the menu.
The food itself was beautifully presented, but portions were small and prices expensive. The main menu only changed once in the 4 nights we were there. Sometimes there was a full dessert menu, sometimes there was not.
On our final morning, we had to leave at 8am, and arrived for breakfast at 730, [we had been told on arrival that breakfast was served from 730 to 11am], only to be told that it was served from 8am! Result - unnecessary last-minute hassle and
no coffee!
On check-out there was no itemisation of the final bill, so no way of checking its accuracy.

Our stay was enjoyable, and the peaceful ambience of the place does grow on you. If you know what to expect you will probably like it, but we felt a few small improvements could make a big difference.

Reviewed 25 November 2008

The service at Le Reve was second to none. While my wife and I were enjoying our stay the owners of the resort were there and made sure that we were well looked after.
The view of the sea was amazing from our beach front villa. The infinity pool and drinks around the bar spoiled us.
Dining at the restaurant is a must. Fresh and healthy food for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
I read that some customers wrote about a hidden 10% service charge. However, just before our reservation was made there are clear instructions about the 10% service charge.
Our one week stay was so quiet and relaxing that my wife and I are already talking about our next visit. Who knows, maybe next time we may even get off the grounds to head into Playa or visit Tulum.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 November 2008

My boyfriend and I, along with another couple, stayed at Le Reve during the first week in October. We ended up in the area because a friend was having a destination wedding in the area. Guests were staying at a variety of hotels, mostly in Playa. Fortunantly, we found Le Reve, which really is a wonderful hotel.

Playa
We did not care for the town of Playa at all and frankly can't understand why in the world people would go there. Perhaps many years ago it was quaint. Not, it is very touristy (and low-end tourists at that) and filled with chain restuarants, t-shirt and tatoo shops, bad food, etc. It was like the Myrtle beach of Mexico. There was not one positive thing that I can say about Playa. We had to go into town far more than we would have liked for wedding activities. We were always so happy to get back to Le Reve at night.

Hotel Le Reve
Overall we were very pleased with Le Reve. The service was amazing. The staff is incredibly attentive and really looks after you.

We booked a top floor room, but the first night we were placed in a beach-front bungalow bc our room was not yet free. The bungalow was very nice, but the top floor room blew it away. It is so large, has an amazing patio and a beautiful view. My friend stayed in a garden room, and it was pretty bad. It didn't even have a masquito net around the bed (which is vital). The bugs were so bad in their room, they asked to be upgraded to a 2nd floor room, which the staff did comp them to. The thrid floor room aslo didn't have any bug problems. Overall, rooms are very clean but they are a bit rustic.. Beds and linnens are very lovely, though. AC worked great.

The beach & ocean wer very nice, though as others have mentioned, it is very rocky in the water and makes it really a bear to get in and out of the water.

The food at the hotel was good. If it cost about 1/3 less, I would have felt I was getting my money's worth. But, the portions are small & the quality is good but def not great. Breakfast was probably the best meal of the day. We did have the chef prepare us an off-the menu entree one night, which was really lovely. The food quality was better than our off the menu items, and we had it served to us in the private massage area that overlooks the beach and water, which was really special. A must-do. Another must do is head to a restaurant called John Gray's in Playa. Its the only decent restaurant we found in playa (although Gray's is wonderful). We went there 3 times in one week. Highly reccoment it.

There are two main problems with Le Reve - the masquitos and the road that leads into the hotel. The masquitos would actually be a reason I would consider not returning. Though the staff had plenty of bug spray to pass out, it was still a very annoying part of the trip. The road it is just terrible. It would take about 20 minutes to get from the hotel back to the main road because it was so horrible (making it a 30 - 40 minute cab ride to Playa). The cab company that the hotel would call for us to go into town was familiar with the road, so they would not complain. However, when we would get cabs in the city to bring us home at night, it was always a nightare. We would tell the cabbies "El calle es muy mal" (the road is very bad) but we would just get varying degrees of attitude from the drivers once we hit the road to Le Reve - some essentially yelling and cursing at us, some demanding more moeny due to the road conditions - and I don't blame them, it was horrible & really tough on the cars. You would have to ride through holes in the road that looked like landmines had exploded (no joke) and the water would be up to the floor of the car. On a few occassions, we thought the cabbies were going to stop and make us get out mid-way (which would have been VERY scary, although this never happend). On the last night we were there, our cab did get stuck in the mud on the way home. Thankfully, we were able to get in touch with the hotel (which was fortunante bc there is not someone answering the phone past 10 or so). They came and got us and promised us they would go back to help the cabbie. The road was really a detraction. Had we not had to go into town so much, it wouldn't have been as big of a deal.

There are a few negatives to Le Reve, but I think it's all about being prepared (primarily about the road). If you can get past that & the bugs, you will have the most enjoyable stay. The staff and the service makes this a gem.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 November 2008

On a positive note . . . . Very clean/cozy resort. Friendly and courteous staff help. Peaceful with beautiful coastal views. Very comfortable beds. Good selection of dining experiences. Unfortunately, this boutique hotel needs much improvement to be considered as a notable resort. Negatives: If you rent a car, good luck finding the location. No signs, no map on their website, phone wasn't answered when I attempted to call. Many Taxis didn't even know this location since it's so off the beaten path. After 2 more hours of driving aimlessly, I found it. The first night I stayed in a groundfloor/garden suite. More like kitchen suite at 7am with staff preparing breakfast next door. Small room with no locking doors leading to garden. The next room was like stepping out of the basement into a slice of heaven. Spend the extra money to select the top rooms or you will be disappointed. Not a swim friendly beach: nice sandy beach but reefs in the water make it a little tender on the feet. Checkout was a nightmare! No one was in the office nor was the phone answered when I tried calling them or concierge. When I was able to contact them, they still hadn't prepared my bill. They couldn't process the credit card over the phone line. I checked over the bill and noticed there were several charges on it that weren't mine. After they recalculated it, I still was paying more than my charges but by this time I had only 2 hours to get to the airport/customs/security so ended up paying the extra bucks. This last correspondence with them really left a bad impression of my experience with Le Reve. Good luck

• Stayed: November 2008