“a perfect week at le reve - we didn't want to leave!”

Le Reve Hotel & Spa
Ranked #100 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Los Angeles, CA
“a perfect week at le reve - we didn't want to leave!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2009

We went to Le Reve on our honeymoon, and were totally thrilled with it. Such a great boutique hotel... so relaxing and chic. Our room was on the beach, and it was great. The bed was probably the most comfortable we have had at any hotel, including Ritz and other 5-star hotels.... and the staff did a great job of creating a luxurious and romantic vibe every day. We were surprised that there was no tv in the room, but frankly after a day we were so happy that there wasn't.. the in room ipod (with great pre-loaded music) was all we needed... and we just relaxed at the beach and had a complete chance to escape from stress and civilization. The hotel felt very cozy and safe. The beach is a bit rocky all along that area, but Le Reve provided reef shoes so going in was no problem. water was clean and warm. There were enough palapas on the private beach at le reve that all the guests had their own... all of the staff was great, super attentive and friendly... Restaurant food was okay but not super fancy, but there are plenty of other places nearby and in town. We would go back anytime - great for a relaxing and romantic getaway - very quiet, great for couples. If you want a party spot, this is not it... but for a chic, luxurious and more natural beach experience this is it.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank LosFelizTypes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Arabic first
Victoria BC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2009

Just got back from 11 days in the Mexican Riviera and we stayed at a small hotel called Le Reve Hotel (www.hotellereve.com ).

This is a small hotel right on the beach just north of Playa del Carmen.

We were looking an adult oriented hotel that wasn't crowded where we could relax and expect great service.

We had no idea when we booked Le Reve online that it would turn out so great. I must admit that the road from the highway into Le Reve is an experience in dodging many many pot holes but it's worth it when you get to the hotel.

The hotel is right on the beach and every room is no more than a couple of hundred feet from the beach and everyone has a view of the ocean. We stayed in the master suite and it had a commanding view of the ocean, beach, and pool. We just got back yesterday so I have yet to post my pictures but will do so in a couple of days.

Aside from the terrific beach views, privacy and spacious rooms, Le Reve has great staff. The staff are very friendly and attentive and always remembered what you like and don't like and so after the first day you certainly felt right at home. When we sat down to eat in the excellent restaurant the waiter and chef would engage you in friendly conversation and then bring out whatever you wanted even if it wasn't on the menu.

One evening we wanted to go to the Coco Bongo night club in Playa del Carmen and the staff from the hotel accompanied us and made sure that we were in the right line-ups to get priority service and when we were finished at Coco Bongo they took us to another club where we danced until 5 AM.

When we spent the day on the beach in front of the hotel we sat on mahogany beach chairs with freshly laundered covers that the hotel staff put out every morning. No need to reserve a chair, it's a small hotel and there is always a suitable spot available. At lunch time we were serverd drinks and lunch on white table cloths over a table right on the beach!

No other resort that we've been to has ever done that!

The arranged car rentals, taxies, night club reservations, restaurant reservations and anything that we wanted. We definitely made new friends and look forward to going back just as soon as we can.

This is one hotel that really tries and definitely exceeded our expectations.

If you're looking for a great holiday experience and you don't want to bring the kids with you Le Reve Hotel is the place!!

• Liked — The small size of the hotel and the staff to guest ratio. Service was exceptional. Access to the beach and views were incredible.
  • Disliked — The access road into the hotel.
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank VictoriaBCVern
Seattle, WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2009

My husband and I stayed at Le Reve for 8 days over Christmas vacation and it was absolutely fantastic in every way. Our flight into Cancun was delayed and the driver stuck around and waited for us for a couple hours so we could get to the hotel. The check in was probably the most pleasant check in experience I have ever had complete with a complementary welcome drink and all. The hotel itself is very small but pristine, friendly, unpretentious, and beautiful. The rooms are simple with no television or radio (unless you book a bungalow which comes with an ipod) and clean and very comfortable. There is one restaurant which serves all your meals and drinks in the open air dining room, in your room, on the beach, or pool side. I consider myself a bit of a food snob and I have to say the only item on the menu that I found questionable was the hamburger. Everything else was absolutely delicious. And to make it even better, the chefs, the wait staff, and the bartenders were very accomodating and even appeared to be excited to fulfill our special off-menu requests. The chef made us mocaljete...table side, two different kinds of tamales from scratch, a very special Mayan twist on a caipirina and they did these things and more with smiles and very friendly banter. I am usually ready to leave a destination by check out time but we were trying to figure out how we could cancel the rest of our trip so we could stay at Le Reve through the following week and go home right from there. No such luck. I don't particularly enjoy tourist locations or activities so we were very happy that Le Reve was a short distance away from the tourist ridden Playa Del Carmen which gave us the serene, quiet, and tranquil vacation that we were hoping for. If I ever return to that part of the country again, I will definitely be staying at Le Reve. I love this hotel and all the staff were absolutely perfect in every way. I just hope that it stays small and quaint and beautifully unspoiled by loud and obnoxious tourists.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — That I had to leave
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank GoalTravelWorld
Houston
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2008

La Reve is a nice hotel until you check out. Everything is priced
in US dollars and unless you have US dollars to pay with, you
are going to pay their jacked up exchange rate. In our case it was about 15% higher.
If you leave your room charges on your credit card, you are presented with a bill showing your charges in US dollars and the number of Pesos that will be charged to your credit card.
If you are like us and carring Pesos, again you are stuck with the escalated exchange rate. The only way you can dodge their little scam is to pay cash with US dollars.

Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank MexicoTravlerHouston
France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2008

I stayed as a "solo traveller" @ Le Reve in early December. The place is secluded, but easy to reach (as in previous review, I used the Azul Fives road and it was quite easy, around 20 minutes to Playa and mostly bc. of traffic lights). The rooms were basic, but one can find design and classy touches all over the place. I spent half of my stay in a garden room (La Paz) and the other part in a horizon room (Playa Linda), I must confess that I loved the views in Playa Linda. The pool is beautiful and so is the beach kept by the hotel, the staff is wonderful, so considerate and always willing to accommodate your preferences; but without being overwhelming. It does feel like home, and you get relaxed the moment you sit down in the so-called lobby facing the sea.

Now, some things needing improvement: food, and more than that the smell coming out from the kitchen which was the main reason for me to move up to the horizon rooms. I had asked for a room away from the kitchen and that was indeed the case; however, one could not avoid that strong smell from the kitchen, which was also a real put off for any other meal taken at the hotel. Breakfast (at least the one included in the price) was simply not good enough; the sweets were not fresh, nor was the butter, and if you are more a person who likes salty staff for breakfast, then you gotta go for the dishes in the menu at an extra cost, and then again, those were tiring....(I spent a week @ Le Reve). Warm water was also a problem in the upper floor, did not complain about it, so I am not sure whether this could have been fixed during my stay....Finally, the charging policy is also an issue for me...it is a matter of taste, but I do not feel at ease when the hotel is so eager to charge half of the price of the stay right after a reservation phone call and then the other half the same very night of my arrival. Then again, I could understand the reasons, but frankly, with so much taste paid into details, I think this could also be brought up to the refined standards of Le Reve. Leaving aside these minor critical comments, I would surely recommend this place @ Playacar.

• Stayed December 2008
1 Thank Lau74SXB
waltham
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2008

My wife and I stayed at Le Reve for 3 nights in early December, as the 4th stop on our 2 week honeymoon along the Riviera Maya. We really tried to like this place (obviously its our honeymoon so being critical is the last thing on our minds), but there were just too many negatives and we left pretty disappointed.

First, the positives - the hotel and bungalows were very nicely constructed and decorated. Its a new property, and it feels classy. We stayed in one of the beachfront bungalows with the plunge pool. The pool was cold, I used it briefly. The restaurant and bar area also looks very nice and is open-air. For the most part, the service was very good (although we weren't there for much of our stay). The hotel was practically empty (I mean, about 10% occupancy, literally) so they were nice and left a dessert on our bed when we returned from dinner 2 of the nights. The power went out once around 6pm, and they were at the door with a candle quickly.

I have 3 main negatives, and then a final item upon checkout that is another clue as to how they operate. First, the location is horrible, due to several factors. Let me first be clear that we were looking for "out of the way", so that's not an issue on its own. But this "out of the way" isn't a nice out of the way - its a drive through construction zones into an area of Playa that has been developed before and abandoned and/or not developed (both of which tell you something). What it tells you is that the beach is pretty bad. Early reviewers mentioned rocks in the ocean. I thought they meant some small rocks that were uncomfortable on your feet as you walk in - what they meant is that the ocean is unswimmable here due to large sharp rocks. The poor location also means no food options close by, and a so-so walk on the beach during the day. All of this meant that we went into Playa everyday and night - both to use the beach and go to dinner. Its about a 30 minute drive, by the way, due to the horrible road to get to Le Reve.

2nd - there was a big mosquito problem in the room. Note, we were not there in aug, sept, oct. It was Dec, and we had no other in-room (or outdoors) mosquito problems. We stayed at a bungalow in Tulum (which I thought would be the "campy" place - Le Reve was supposed to be the "luxury" place) and had no trouble there. Maybe the bungalow was poorly constructed or designed, maybe its just a buggy area. The net around the bed worked well, and it was much needed. But its not fun to get eaten when you are just in the room and not in bed.

3rd - the price was just too much for what it was. We paid about $260 +10% service + 12% tax = $310 per night for the bungalow (and a very minimal continental breakfast). Regular price would be $350 +22% for this time of year, and much more in higher season. This place is not worth the 310 that we paid, forget about the 500+ that it would cost in higher season.

My final issue is related to this cost issue. Not only is the pricing aggresive on its own, they add insult to it by sneaking themselves a few extra bucks on the exchange rate. I paid 50% when I booked, price quoted in USD, but charged in pesos at an exhange rate about a half point above what it should have been. Not too bad, I guess. But when we arrived, we were given the other half of the bill (yes, when we arrived! you've got to be kidding me...) and was charged at a peso rate of 14:1. The rate at this time was really 13:1. So I paid Le Reve at "their" exchange rate of 14:1, and then Amex translated back at 13:1. Here's my problem - if you price in USD, then either charge in USD (they said they cant do this, which is unture becase Ocho Tulum had done it for my deposit), or charge an honest exchange rate...Shady exchange rates are for the Quinta, not for what is supposedly a nice hotel....They did the same with pricing at the restaurant - all USD and then translated to really inflated peso prices....A bottle of the basic Errazuriz Cabernet was $45 (630 pesos at "their" rate), while at a very nice restaurant in Playa (Negrasal, I think) it was 350 pesos.

In all, we obviously wouldn't go back. That must be a theme, becasue the other 3 places we went to were 40-80% occupied, even in these tough times. This place was almost empty. I will also be more careful in the future - it was rated high on TripAdvisor when we booked (number 5, I beleive) but I'm thinking that was because of limited reviews because its pretty new. Today I see it at #49, which makes much much more sense.

Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bjsWaltham
Mexico City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2008

We were seeking a place to have our wedding we literaly walked the entire Playa del Carmen Beach looking for a hotel that wasnt the typical All Inclusive Resort. we were told of this new hotel called Le Reve, they told us that it would be hard to get there since it was concieved as a "Very Exclusive Place". Once we got there we couldnt believe all the details that the hotel has for its guests not to talk about the peace you can breathe in there, the decision was made as soon as we walked over the giant "palapa" and got the view of the most beautiful colors I've ever seen, the caribean sea.

three months later and with the help and personal attention of the hotel manager we got married in the beach of Le Reve food was perfect, service was outstanding and the decoration with white orchids was something to remember. The best thing of all was that the Hotel staff helped us to find everything, from a professional photographer to the local priest.

It has been 9 months since and we still recieve coments from the guests. We strongly recomend the place, you will get a vacation to remember forever.

• Liked — The service
  • Disliked — Everything was perfect
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled on business