“Wonderful resort” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #96 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Utrecht, The Netherlands
“Wonderful resort”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2010

We stayed at this resort for a week and were not dissapointed. Everything about this place was wonderful. The room was beautiful with a nice balcony overlooking the pool and sea. The staff was absolutely wonderful especially wonderful. You should definitely try one of the cocktails, they were delicious. The beach was beautiful and very quiet and last but not least, the food was wonderful. We did in Playa del Carmen one night and the staff recommended us to an italian restaurant which was also wonderful.

So if you are looking for a quiet, relaxing, romantic place you should definitely go to the Le Reve

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
  • Arabic first
Irvine, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2010

After reading all the rave reviews of this hotel on Trip Advisor I decided this would be the perfect place to get married and have our honeymoon…and I was not disappointed! Everything about this hotel was amazing! We wanted something small and exclusive (without the price) and that is exactly what we got. Since we went in slow season, we felt like we had the resort to ourselves. The hotel is only 25 rooms and at most, 8 rooms were filled during our stay. Arlenis, the wedding coordinator, was great to work with and helped us create the perfect, intimate beach wedding. She handled all the details and was on top of everything! The food at the hotel was mouthwatering. I was concerned that we would get bored eating at the same restaurant for most of our meals, but we found by the end of the week we actually preferred eating at the hotel versus going into town because the food was so AMAZING. If you are looking for a quiet, romantic getaway where you relax by the pool and on the beach, this is the place for you. If you are looking for more interaction with other hotel guests, or a party atmosphere this is not for you. Be aware this hotel is off the beaten path, so it takes 10-15 minutes to get into town, but well worth it in my opinion! The staff gets to know you, is extremely friendly and enjoys interacting with the guests. Both Valentino and Jacqueline (concierges) were extremely helpful when we asked for restaurant recommendations or wanted to rent a car to drive to Tulum. Eight days went to fast and they had to drag us back to the airport kicking & screaming ☺

1 Thank laurelxo
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2010

We loved everything about this hotel - loved that it doesn't remotely resemble the ridiculous mega hotel-circuses you find all over the beach in Playa. Only issues were the very spotty internet access and traveling back and forth to Playa on a very bumpy road (the hotel is a few miles north of Playa "downtown"). The staff was subtle, helpful, genuine and didn't seem forced into friendliness. Breakfast was good and filling (and included in our price!), dinner was pretty good; great beef/cheese chimichangas, corn soup and scallops and they had decent liquor/beer. This hotel has an open air atmosphere throughout (common areas and rooms) and really shows off it's pretty the beach. This is an adults-only place and it felt very secluded and quiet. One of the staff told us that the resort was a wedding gift between a Canadian couple - how romantic. I highly recommend this resort if you want to be off the beaten path and prefer subtley and quality without pretentiousness.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dzngirl13
Dallas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2010

My husband & I booked Le Reve over the 3 day Labor Day weekend. We also have a difference in opinion on Le Reve and maybe he'll post his side. Couples huh..................

We booked the most expensive room in the house which was an oceanfront casita with
private pool. When they said ocean front it truly meant ocean front. The casita was less than 10 feet from the beach itself. Incredible.

Here's the list of "a few more steps to excellence" - At the price point of the casita using other 4 to 5 stars hotels we stayed at as a basis: The airconditioner didn't work, we moved to a different casita but the air conditioning couldn't keep up. Since the casita has a thatched roof I assume it can't cool. Talked to another casita couple from the Midwest and they had the same issue. Le Reve has room service, neither casita had a room service menu I had to ask for the large bulky menus from the restaurant and keep them in the room. Turn down service 1 night of the 3, never emptied the trash never left clean towels. The bathroom as in water closet/toliet has no door. My pet peeve might not bother others. The bathroom counter had two sinks so there wasn't any space to put down a makeup bag or shaving kit. Bottom line - improve turn down, leave towels and room service menu, invest in a better split air conditioning unit and for those shy gals who like bathroom time to be me time, maybe a door in the commode area.

Here's the 4 star part :
Food -Breakfast as in a "full breakfast" is including in our rate. NICE loved it and they will serve that comp breakfast in your casita. Food overall was good, one night not so good and they comped it and the staff was sweet about the comp.

Staff- They are 5 star perfect. The perfect combination of friendly without overly in your face friendly, professional, talkative, accomodating and concerned that you have a wonderful experience. I can't say enough great things about Le Reve's staff. Love Jacquline the manager and Freddy our waiter for both food & drinks.

Spa- I didn't exactly see a spa room per say but my husband and I had an excellent massage. Le Reve has a 2 story open air tower above the pool area where our massage took place so we had a nice breeze and the ocean in our ears during service. My massage was swedish and I put the massage itself in my top 5 list.

Beach/Pool Area/Bar - Again this hotel is on the beach, very very close to the shore. It doesn't get any better than that. Nice pool, wish there were steps to get into the pool for those of us older travelers, it's hard on the knees. There is a slope on one side to walk in though. Great cocktails served by great staff.

Location - 50 minutes to Cancun Airport. 15 to 20 minutes to downdown Playa Del Carmen. On the same strip of beach as The Tides if you're familar with the area.

Overall - Small boutique hotel, a lot of heart & charm. Would I return.........yes but not at the casita rate since it didn't deliver the goods at that price. This hotel is ideal for couples, honeymooners. Great to hold a wedding where you rent the entire hotel. Euro's would also love the rustic Yucatan feel to this place.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank MrsDallasMatt
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2010

My (now) husband and I went to Le Reve for our Honeymoon. We had an outstanding time. The service was stellar (especially Valentino!), the food wonderful and the atmosphere extremely romantic. I would recommend it for romantic couples ONLY and if you are the type of people that thrive on seclusion and privacy. There are no TVs and other guests kept to themselves for the most part.

Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CALaufman
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2010

Le Reve is a unique and special boutique resort that has the highest level of service I have ever experienced! you will not regret staying at Le Reve. I would recommend it to anybody (except if you are traveling with children) and I can't wait to go back!! thank you for living up to my expectation and making my holiday so special!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2010

My fiance and I are currently planning our destination wedding in Mexico and Le Reve was on our list of possible venues. So we decided to travel down there and see if the pictures and good reviews were actually true. After renting a car in Cancun, we drove the incredibly easy 45min to the Playa Del Carmen area and turned off onto a dirt and headed toward the beach. After only a few minutes on the little back road, we came upon Le Reve and what can only be described as one of the most beautiful hotel lobbies I have ever seen. From the moment you arrive, you are surrounded by incredible views of the ocean. The entire hotel has an open feel to it and yet it feels cozy when you are there. The staff was incredibly helpful and friendly the entire time. Our amazing waiter Freddy even gave my fiance some of their secret (and amazing!) hot sauce to take home. Speaking of food, the restaurant is simply amazing! Our breakfast every morning was truly delicious! Fresh fruit, fresh bread, delicious entree!

I could on and on about every part of this hotel and how wonderful it is, but you obviously get my opinion on it. Needless to say, we are definitely having our wedding here and couldn't think of a better hotel or better staff to share this occasion with.