“Visually stunning and quiet”

Le Reve Hotel & Spa
Ranked #99 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Newton, Massachusetts
“Visually stunning and quiet”
Reviewed 18 February 2011

We spent a week at this small, friendly hotel that's successfully designed for visual impact. Our 2nd floor room in the main building had an ample balcony overlooking the pool (not very deep) and out to the sea. The view was a bit blocked by some trees. But they also provided some privacy, given the entire front wall is glass (with curtains). The hotel staff was extremely responsive and helpful, particularly the concierge, Jesus. The restaurant, which was under our room, faces the same way. Food was quite good and beautifully presented, but overpriced for what it is. Breakfast, included in room price, had about 8 items, but lacked any healthy cereal or whole grain options, not even whole wheat bread. Too heavy on eggs, cheese and white bread.
Waitstaff was friendly but uneven. in skill Had to ask more than once for coffee, the check and even a napkin (once). One waiter we seemed to get stuck with kept filling one of our coffee cups but not mine, which was empty. Also, the waitstaff makes a lot of noise clanking plates and such when they set up early in the morning before breakfast. Since several rooms (including ours) are directly over the restaurant, this is a problem and woke us up early every day.
The one significant downside is that there is not a single chair in the whole place (except at the dining tables) that provides any back support! Not in the rooms, not at the pool, nowhere. They all curve and lean back., except for some couches in the lounge that have very long seat depths -- too long for anyone but a tall person to be able to sit straight in and still have one's feet touch the floor. Chaises at the pool don't raise up far enough to support a person sitting any way other than prone. For a stay of 7 days, this became very uncomfortable and annoying. But all done for visual impact, not comfort or health.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
  • Arabic first
sf bay area
Reviewed 17 February 2011

We traveled to Le Reve to meet up with friends and had a wonderful time at Le Reve. We booked through Jetsetters and we were not disappointed. Rooms were very nice. Staff was wonderful and the restaurant great. Would go there again in a heartbeat. Not easy to find and you must have a car to get around.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 17 February 2011

From the moment we arrived at Le Reve, everything just went smoothly. The staff is absolutely excellent. I really can't compliment them enough. There was always someone around if we needed something, without ever feeling like we were being hovered over.
We had a garden room and as an unexpected bonus had a lovely ocean view. Overall the room was very comfortable and I found the simple decor to be rather soothing. Blackout drapes were a great touch considering that morning sun is very intense.
We ate most of our meals there and found the food to be very good. If you wanted something that was not on the menu, the staff was happy to accommodate. The margaritas were great!
The property as a whole really lovely. There are plenty of lounge chairs for everyone, both at the pool and on the beach. The beach is a bit rocky at the waters edge, but the hotel provides water shoes, as well as snorkeling gear. The only annoyance we found was that the very large hotel nearby has wave runners that were very loud and sometimes a little too close to shore.
I would highly recommend Le Reve and am looking forward to returning. Maybe next time I'll splurge on one of the bungalows.

San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 17 February 2011

Why was Le Reve so tough to grade? Well, simply because it's hard to say unkind things about nice people. And that's what the people who work here are, nice people. Kind, attentive and would do everything in their power to please you so that you enjoy your stay.

Unfortunately, there were some shortcomings that the kindness of the employees couldn't make up for. The food really is mediocre. It's not overpriced, but it's also not up to standard you'd expect from looking at the hotel. We arrived on Valentine's Day and had the special dinner. It was an 8-course extravaganza, but with some very strange dishes being served. A salad dish that I liked to refer to as a "deconstructed Subway" - served on a bed of pickles. A mint sorbet, which was supposed to be a pallet cleanser midway through the course, was so unbelievably minty (think mint-choc chip ice-cream, without the choc-chips) it left me feeling like i'd had dessert and was done with my meal. However, the main course was next and mine and my lady's dishes were both overcooked. A medium steak served VERY well-done and my lamb chops fully cooked, without a hint of pink. You get the idea, all the food was beautifully presented, but of average flavor.

In our room, the bed was a Queen, and there wasn't much space for anything bigger than that. We had a beautiful view of the ocean, but the room was directly above the restaurant and we could hear noise early in the morning and late in the evening, which made sleep hard. The noise of the shutters being creaked closed to protect from the ocean breeze each night and then reopened every morning still shrieks through my body...

The road leading to the hotel is a dirt track that is in serious need of paving. Everything is fine until you pass the entry big All-inclusive resort but then it just ends and you have to navigate a maze of deep potholes for the final half mile. I would recommend to Le Reve they get this paved ASAP, as they may get more customers from it.

Without TV's in the room, if you want to relax and avoid socializing in the evening, you're left with little choices other than reading. There was a small DVD library, but there was a charge of $5 to borrow one for the evening, and they were mainly knock-offs! I thought this was a little cheeky.

If Le Reve was a human, I think it would be a small-town beauty pageant contestant - beautiful to look at, warm-hearted and caring about her family, animals and the environment, but a little lacking of intelligence and trying to get through life on looks alone.

We like to have freedom to move about and normally stay in a condo down in Akumal, on the beach, so maybe this was a little too claustrophobic for our travel tastes. I don't think I'd come back, but it was a nice enough stay with good weather and very relaxing. It was nice to have a car so we could drive into Playa each day and get some food there.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank shocknick
Birmingham, Michigan
Reviewed 11 February 2011

This is what my husband kept telling me on our vacation "you hit it on the mark!". Le Reve was amazing...first, the style - modern simplicity, the bedroom in our horizon suite was no fuss, no tv, no radio (although the only negative comment we had was that they should include an ipod doc for music in all rooms, currently you get an ipod w/ docking station only in the bungalow suites), rain shower, french doors that open to a private balcony, white on white - very pleasant. The bed was pretty comfortable. Second, the service - impeccable! Always a server available on the beach, the concierge always providing information, calling taxis, etc. Always wanting to please - just lovely. Third - the food and drink - breakfast was included in our rate - and it was delish! I think I had huevos rancheros 6 out of 8 mornings - yummm, and I became a yogurt fan - who knew!? They give you whatever you ask for - fruit w/ yogurt, bread basket, plus your main course. And fresh squeezed OJ or Grapefruit juice...again, yum! The margaritas I am still pining for - fresh and delicious, served right on the beach if you'd like (we had a couple each day after lounging on the beach in the sun). We had fresh ceviche for lunch each day - I think they had some 8 different kinds! We never ate dinner at the hotel, only b/c we had eaten bfst and lunch there daily - although I heard it was good. We took a taxi into Playa (less than 10 min) each night. El Fogon is the place to go if you want authentic Mexican (tacos mainly) off the beaten path - at constituyentes and 30th. Fourth - atmosphere - it was very romantic...so quiet....the only sound you heard often was the ocean breeze blowing the waves. Everyone was tastefully to themselves on their vacations, into their books on the beach, and quietly conversing in the restaurant. We walked to the right for some 15 minutes and you'll run into a huge all inclusive - jam packed w/ people and noisy (no thanks) and to the left some larger hotels further down w/ annoying waverunners (which sometimes crossed in front of Le Reve beach, but hey, to each their own). I can't tell you how many couples walking on the beach came up to Le Reve to read the podium at the beach (their advertisement), I think most were jealous! My husband did surprise me w/ a massage and facial at the spa and - wow - amazing (Nora)! We, too, got a great deal on Jettsetter but would come back full price. I did get to see the Master Suite and the Bungalow while there for future trips and I think we'd choose the Master Suite, mainly b/c you can keep the french doors open at night for an ocean breeze, like we did every night in our Bungalow. (I would actually stay in a Bungalow again, as you really aren't in your room that much and it suited us just fine). Last comment, the beach, it is rocky, but the water shoes are great and you can just walk some 5 minutes down to the left and you have the gorgeous turquoise water w/ sandy bottom - we did that a couple of times. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 6 February 2011

This hotel is beautiful, very nice low-key style, we stayed in a beach front bungalow, and got to fall asleep every night listening to the sounds of the ocean. -- I think you'd be hard pressed to find another breach-front room for the same price in Playa. -- it is a good value.

The hotel gets alot of notes right, and some not so right. For cleanliness I have to give them 5 stars (out of 5), our room was always spotless and I saw the staff working tirelessly every morning to make the hotel look perfect (and the did).

The concierge was great, they were at our service and helped us plan outings, and took care of details for us, such as renting cars, returning cars, calling local business, etc.

The places where the hotel falls short was in the restaurant service, we noticed that the consistency of the service was just not up to par with the type of resort that Le Reve is, for example, the staff sometimes forgets small details about the order you made, (ie: forgets the bread, or forgets napkins, or your plate might come with a slightly altered dish that you were expecting). These by themselves are not a big deal, but for me, they break the spell that a luxury resort is weaving, and then i had to worry about asking for napkins, or asking for bread, etc, etc. Not a deal breaker, but i noticed. -- by the same token, alot of the staff does work extra hard to be friendly. -- The restaurant menu did not change for our entire stay, we highly recomend their apetizers, they were incredible .. but their main dishes were just ok, nothing worth writing home about.

We also did have a non-functioning AC unit in our room for 2 nights, but I can hardly blame the hotel for that, once we reported it and demanded that it be fixed, it was repaired and we had no more problems with it.

One comment that I left for the management, was to introduce themselves to the guests, and make themselves available, so in case things are not going 100% smoothly, the guests feels welcome to bring it up and have it handled. -- I only met the general manager after being at the hotel 4 or 5 days, and then it was only by chance.

The beds are incredible, and the beautiful animals crafted by the housekeeping staff are a great touch. If you are looking for a hotel with WiFi, then you probably want to stay in one of their suites or garden view rooms, the WiFi signal did not reach our breachfront bungalow (we had the furthest one from the main building on the property though)

1 Thank lagosr
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 1 February 2011

Our stay at Le Reve in Jan 2011 was everything we had hoped. Thanks to Jetsetter we got a great deal, but I would recommend this boutique resort even at retail price. There are I believe 4 types of rooms – garden, balcony, master suite, and beach bungalow. We stayed in a garden room, and I think I would prefer it to the balcony room because there is a large outdoor soaking tub that gets hot water—the Jacuzzi section of the *gorgeous* infinity pool does not appear to have heat, so if you are looking for the hot tub experience, this outdoor tub is great for just relaxing in the evenings with a drink or a book. The value of the service at Le Reve is amazing. The staff/guest ratio is so high, at peak times I think there was a staff member on site for each of the 25 rooms! The staff is extremely well trained to attend to your every need, but no one was at all overbearing, annoying, or sales-y.

As far as food goes, I am used to Chicago food prices and these seemed reasonable to me. One thing to keep in mind is that all prices include tax AND gratuity. The chef was excellent. I was at first a bit nervous about the food as I had heard it was mostly American-influenced and I like authentic Mexican food. No problem—each evening after dinner, our server Ismael and the Chef worked together to give us authentic options to plan the next night’s meal. We had pork cochinita, a whole roasted fish for 2, barbacoa, chlles rellenos, chicken mole, and barbecue ribs. Our favorites were the barbacoa, chiles rellenos and barbecue ribs, but everything was excellent.

We are not big drinkers, but the drinks were well prepared and the service again was excellent.

The grounds are kept meticulously every morning and throughout the day—there is not a stone or leaf out of place, ever. There are also nice touches like afternoon tea at 4:30-5pm and nightly turn down service with a little dessert treat. Room service is no extra charge, and neither is pool service, beach service or wherever-you-want-to-eat service.

Overall this hotel gives the feel of a hidden gem with a relaxed, quiet atmosphere. Down the beach to both directions are all-inclusive/annoying spring break type resorts with 1000s of beach chairs, loud music, etc. do yourself a favor and stay at Le Reve. You won’t be disappointed.

Would recommend setting up a day trip to Xel-Ha which is great for snorkeling. Also if you want great wood fired pizza, walk down the beach to the left of the resort, past Azul and the Tides is a path up from the beach to a tiny place called Coco Cabanas. Bring cash as they do not take credit card. Great for a lunch or mid afternoon snack.