Hacienda Tres Rios
US$265
US$229
Bookit.com
  • Breakfast included
BlueBay Grand Esmeralda(Playa del Carmen)
US$320
US$310
US$605
US$589
US$285
US$227
Melia.com
Mahekal Beach Resort(Playa del Carmen)
US$276
US$268
  • Breakfast included
Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya(Playa del Secreto)(Great Value!)
US$413
US$344
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
Fairmont Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
US$564
US$415
Orbitz.com
  • Beachfront
US$211
HotelsClick
  • Breakfast included
Rosewood Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
US$806
US$702
Grand Velas Riviera Maya(Playa del Carmen)
US$1,434
US$940
Bookit.com
6,439 results
All reviewssegway tournature parkthe grillsense adventurethree riverssports barthe mexican restaurantchef's tablelobster dinnerfamily pooltime sharebeach bedskids clubadult poolcasino nightsales presentationbeautiful resort
Reviewed 8 May 2014

This is my first review at Tripadvisor and I was compelled to finally write one so I can share my experience with everybody who is considering this resort. My girlfriend and I just arrived back from Tres Rios yesterday and it is our 2nd time visiting the Cancun area.

By no means do I consider myself a vacation snob but as much as I wanted to enjoy this trip, Tres Rios made it very difficult.

For me personally there are 3 things I look for in an AI resort: Service, Room & Food.

Service - 2/5 - The service is really hit or miss. The best service is at the buffet. At the restaurants service can seems quite slow and forgetful.

And the hairnets the staff wear don't add much appeal to the meal/ambiance either (btw, even with the hairnets we found a hair in our breakfast). I understand hairnets for the kitchen and chefs, but for the wait staff, it just comes a off a bit tacky and lazy. Something should be thought of more clever to serve its purpose without such an unsightly appearance.

Room - 3/5 - The rooms are nice and spacious. The only complaint I really had was the shower. The water came out hard (although I do appreciate the eco friendly factor where the hot water is recycled from A/C units) and rough. I personally like my shower to be sexy and a place to just sit in, but I found myself rushing to shower up and get out.

Outdoor jacuzzi was a nice touch.

Food - 2/5 - Again I feel like the food was a bit uninspiring and lazy. I understand that it is an AI and that they need to buy ingredients they can use for all of their restaurants, but it would be nice of they tried to at least mask that they are using the same ingredients, recipes and sauce.

In addition, they ran out of the rib eye, sausage & bacon during our stay there. They didn't bother to tell us until we ordered our scramble eggs with sausage (the one with the hair in it) and there was no sausage. That same breakfast we ordered a dish off the menu we had the day before which was pretty good and it came out a totally different dish.

And for some reason the coconut shrimp needs to be ordered a day in advance as I saw a table next to me have at least 4 plates of coconut shrimp and when I asked if I can order one, I was told that I had to provide at least a day notice to order it. It's not really a great feeling when one table gets a dish that you aren't allow to order as well.

If you're a dessert person, you'll be quite disappointed.

Here are some other notes I think is important to note:

Beach - 0/5 - Remember that oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico? No? Well, one glance at their beach and you'll be sure to thank BP. Whether or not the beach is a result of the oil spill, it doesn't look attractive nor safe to swim in. The water is literally black, be forewarned, the pictures they show you on the site (or a travel booking site) is not accurate.

This was the most disappointing to my gf and I don't blame her. I'm not a big beach person but even I had to agree that this was the probably the worst beach we'll ever come into contact with.

Tours - 5/5 - The tours are fun and the tour guides are cool people.

Timeshare Presentation - 3/5 - Boy, does this thing sure feel like a timeshare factory. They push it often and hard here. It took 3 hours and I don't see how anybody can get it under that. The only saving grace was that our timeshare guy, Emmett, was a pretty cool guy. Concierge pushes that timeshare too and I can't help but feel that they treat you with a bit less love when they find out you didn't purchase the timeshare. If you do have to do it, I'd ask for Emmett.

Overall 2/5 - There are FAR too many resorts in this area to spend your hard earned money here. I wanted to love this place but each day they always made it so hard to just relax. When booking an AI, you want great service and great food. Tres Rios falls short in both of those categories.

IF you do have to go, visit their sister resort in Playa del Carmen to visit a real beach and 5th avenue. IF you are still contemplating, I'd recommend considering another place to stay.

Room Tip: They do have a sister resort in Playa del Carmen, definitely take advantage of visiting that resort and 5th avenue. Beach is beautiful there.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Patrick S
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We would like to recommend as an excellent Restaurant "El Alebrije", which serves gourmet mexican food, combining great tastes and flavors, as well as extraordinary drinks. We received a fabulous service from the great Chef Olga Nidia Sánchez, who came to meet us at our table, from the Waiter Gonzalo, who was extremely kind, agreeable and efficient, from the Barman Teófilo and the Hostess Karla. We are hoping to come back soon!!

Beatriz Torres and Marco Reyes.

Room Tip: The rooms at the Herencia building are extremely comfortable.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Marco R
Reviewed 5 May 2014

first the resort is a fantastic place. I have been many times as a guest of my friends the bonicas. many staff from Sammy in the lobby, Christian and Fernando at the grill, sailboat attendants raul, joel,mao, and david, chef Pablo,anton,and fermin make your happiness their priority. the head chef Oscar prepares some of the best food I've had anywhere in mexico. reading some of the comments I've been surprised at some comments from some people and wonder if I may have seen them down there.i've met many wonderful people from all over the world. many having the times of their lives. some not so much. but I do believe some people can't be happy anywhere. I'm the guy who sails the hobie cats everyday. and welcome any guest who doesn't sail but wishes they could to join me on the boats.

Room Tip: depends on your needs
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank jeff s
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Just can't say enough positive things about Hacienda Tres Rios! The facility was gorgeous, the food yummy and the staff went above our expectations. This trip was for our honeymoon and we stayed in La Herencia (the owner's building)...our friends are in the Registry Collection and the stay was a wedding gift. Miguel (our butler) was our favorite by far! He brought us anything/everything we needed quickly and always with a smile. Gaudencio took care of us at the pool and at breakfast, he is a great asset to the resort!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Donna S
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Last week myself and three of my friends stayed at the resort we were able to get a two bedroom suite with a hot tub on the roof. The rooms were very clean and looked very nice. However the hair dryer was probably the worst I've ever used so for future women travellers I suggest you bring your own. The pools were very nice however a little cold at all times. There was not a great beach as it's an Eco resort so they don't clean up the beaches we'll the sand was all gross and black. The drinks were great and the restaurants were nice but I wouldn't have liked it as much if we didn't have all inclusive. The entire week of our trip all of us felt sick which we haven't had before when traveling so it was weird. However we did enjoy our stay at hacienda and the people were very understanding and welcoming, I would defiantly go back again

Room Tip: two bedroom suites have hot tubs on their roofs which was great
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends