“Very good vacation”

Ranked #63 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Mexico City, Mexico
“Very good vacation”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Had a good overall experience, we enjoyed our visit very much. Kayaks, snorkeling, and sailing were very gratifying activities. Service is very good, employees are courteous and friendly, especially Trinidad, Samuel, Adrian, and others. Room was fine although towels were not replaced as often as we expected, even though we left them on the floor; so on a couple of occasions we had to call to request for them. WiFi is very low quality and intermittent. Food is actually good for an all-inclusive resort. Price is OK.

We would definitely consider going back in the future.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
DavidZCancun_Mexico, Manager at Hacienda Tres Rios, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear Guest:
Thank you for your nice comments and for considering Hacienda Tres Rios a very good option.
We are glad to learn you were able to enjoy our amenities and took our guided eco-park tours to our Tres Rios Natural Park with its 326 acres of pristine tropical rainforests intersected by three winding freshwater rivers, decorated by ten fascinating cenotes (cave-like sinkholes with natural wells), home to 120 species of plants and 90 species of animals.
It is the only nature park in the Yucatan Peninsula that includes three distinct ecosystems: jungle, mangrove forest and coastal dunes.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (999)
new windsor ny usa
Reviewed 29 July 2014

my family and I vacationed there the week of july 6th. this was our third time back at this resort and we love it more each time. I can say nothing but great things starting with the check in and the staff, our room, and maid service. the restaurants and quality of food is outstanding starting with the very large breakfast buffet. gregorio our wonderful waiter each morning made sure we had everything we could possibly need. at night if we dined at the outdoor hacienda grill we equally had excellent service coming from another great waiter named Miguel who went out of his way to please us all. we love this resort and highly recommend it to anyone looking for a fun vacation.

Room Tip: I prefer higher rooms
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
DavidZCancun_Mexico, Manager at Hacienda Tres Rios, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear Guest:
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Hacienda Tres Ríos and your nice comments. We are glad to learn you had a great vacation and and highly recommend us to anyone looking for a fun vacation.
Next time you visit us remember to take part of our SenseAdventure Experience. An exclusive experience at Tres Ríos and delightfully exhilarating. Take a guided exploration of select areas in the nature park while blindfolded to heighten your other senses. This magical journey through nature is led by a holistic guide, who presents various natural elements for you to touch, smell, and even taste, drawing attention to the sounds around you.
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We were here in July 2014 for two weeks with our two kids aged 12 and 14. We snorkeled in the Cenotes, sailed the Catamaran, Kayaked in the river, swam in Ocean the pool and the estuary. The activities at this all inclusive will keep you busy for a whole week or in our case 2 weeks. We did only one excursion to Tulum, we were very content on the resort and saved a lot of money by not going on a lot of excursions.

One bedroom had 2 queen beds and a sofa bed with a full bathroom, this is called the studio unit, We also had the attached 1 bedroom unit which has a large family room in between the bedrooms with a full bath and it also had a pull out sofa. Then the master suite has a king bed, a pull out sofa and a huge bathroom.

This is our third year at this fantastic all inclusive We were here last in April 2013, since then the food has improved a lot especially in the Ala carte restaurants.We had breakfast at the Grille almost every morning and the food was always fresh and done how we liked it, Natalia always had a smile for us and knew our preferences for drinks the second time we ate there. Ruben is the best pool side waiter ever so look for him at the main pool and beach while you are there, Antonio and Gregorio rocked the breakfast buffet and pool service at the adult pool. Don't forget to visit Trinidad for dinner at the Mexican restaurant he will make sure that you have the perfect dinning experience. In fact there was not too much wrong with any of the hotel staff. I had a great massage at the spa and we very much enjoyed our lesson on how to sail the Catamaran so that we could take it out by ourselves.

I read some reviews complaining about having to tip at all inclusive resorts. Well here is my take on it when it is 40 degrees Celsius or more with the humidity and you don't want to get off your lounge chair to get that cold beer or your hot lunch.... Tip the people who are delivering your drinks and food with a smile and without complaint! At the pool we tipped about $10.00 US per day for all the food and drinks. Breakfast was amount $3.00 and dinner around $5.00. So on average about $15.00-$20.00 U.S. per day but by all means tip more for better service!

Three minor negatives this trip... Housekeeping was not up to the standard it has been in past years. Nothing major but after having been here a few times we expect a very high standard. My pet peeve was not having the face towels and hand towels replaced when they were placed on the floor. They would take them away but not leave any clean ones.Also the floor was aften not swept and when we walked around in our bare feet they would be covered in sand.Not good to have sand in your bed but like I said it was pretty minor.

The other thing was the Catamaran. They have 4 sitting on the beach but only one with sails on it. So there were days that we could not take it out because there was such a demand for that that one boat this did not not make any sense to me why not put the sails on the other boats.. We usually had to reserve a space the day before.

Last but not least what happened to all the pool activities, There was usually volley ball, water aerobics, and Bingo and soccer but then a lot of the listed activities did not get done. Kind of disappointing.

We will definitely go back probably April 2015.

Room Tip: We had a two bedroom 3 bathroom unit with a large rooftop deck, the views were fantastic, definitely...
3 Thank dutchdecor
Dear Guest:
Thank you for your nice comments. We are glad to learn you had an “Awesome Family Vacation” at Hacienda Tres Ríos. We also appreciate the opportunity area mentioned and we are giving follow up with our House Keeping Manager in order to review their standards and procedures in order to assure the quality at this area.
Next time you visit us remember to take a Segway Tour and see the nature park, nursery and beach on this two-wheeled self-balancing battery-powered electric vehicle.
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Had a great experience at Hacienda Tres Rios. Traveling with 2 toddlers is tough but Guadencio was so helpful with the kids during meal times and catered to our every need! Loved the hotel overall though the internet speed is quite slow.

1 Thank Melanie11O
Dear Guest:
Thank you for your nice word specially on Gaudencio whom we are proud of an thank you on his behalf.
Next time you come back remember to visit our Tres Rios Nature Park with its 326 acres of pristine tropical rainforests intersected by three winding freshwater rivers, decorated by ten fascinating cenotes (cave-like sinkholes with natural wells), home to 120 species of plants and 90 species of animals.
It is the only nature park in the Yucatan Peninsula that includes three distinct ecosystems: jungle, mangrove forest, and coastal dunes.
Reviewed 26 July 2014

After 3 trips to Cancun and 7 other all inclusive stays at several other Countries, this was by far my worst trip ever!! Yet My MOST expensive!!!
From the moment I walked in, I felt so unwelcomed. Room was not ready until after 5. Took our own luggage up because we were hot and our room was finally ready ,yet 2 hours after our arrival , there sat out luggage in the lobby. No smiles from the staff. No direction.
No one offered us anything to drink . I asked for some bottled water... Well..... I guess they forgot.
Our first look at the beach at around 5pm made me want to cry. It was disgusting. We finally went and got our bathing suits on to go to the pool ,since the Ocean was out of the question. Guess what!!! My very tall 8 year old could not touch the bottom. Why on earth would a Family resort make a pool 4.5 foot deep??? It was such a shame to see all these kids clinging to the sides. Where is the fun in that?? My first night in bed (that all 3 of us had to share all week because the pull out beds can NOT be slept on. They separate in the middle where your back is.) I spent the night crying , trying to figure what we were gong to do all week. With an un swimable beach and pool that was no fun.
I was supposed to have robes in our room.(I didn't care ,however my 8 year old thought that was super cool) Well I asked for them 4 TIMES!!!! Never came. Neither did the "pillow Menu".
Day 2 was better... the beach did clear up near the bridge that is always pictured. That area is beautiful , but by 4:30 the tide comes in along with all the mangrove debris making it very gross.The pictures the resort has posted of that area is not how it actually looks.Don't get me wrong it is pretty.It is just not as large or as perfect looking as it looks in the pictures. It is the beach you will be spending your time in. So take a good look at its size. If you are looking for a sprawling large beach , it is not what you will be getting.
Day 2 and 1/2 my Husband was so violently ill it had to be food poisoning.In my 23 years of knowing him I have never seen him so sick. It was awful.I was scared for him. NEVER in 10 trips out of the country have either of us ever gotten sick.
Day 3 My Husband is down for the count . Day 3 and 1/2 my boy is "tired" and wants to go back to the room with a sore belly.
Day 4 Now my son has it. He is 8. I was very careful as to what I let him eat.I thought I was scared with my husband. but now my child!!!!... luckily the throwing up and diarrhea did not last as long with him. But had a fever for 2 days after.....
Day 5 Nothing but room service for us. My poor little guy.
Day 6 same....
What I could not believe was how many people in the resort knew my son was sick, the ONLY person who showed some caring was the Man who cleaned our room. He made him a bunny made from a wash cloth that finally put a smile on my boy's face. I just felt they should have sent something up to the room for him from the resort. Like one of the large towel animals pictured all over their site..yeah don't expect any of them either... or the drinks made out of a coconut with a face. It was just one disappointment after another.
Back to the pool..... there is an Adult ONLY pool that is 3.5....ok can someone make sense of that for me. I went to ask the person handing out the towels who I could talk to about that. I wanted my kid to have some fun in the pool..... he suddenly didn't speak English.(Even though the day before we had a conversation.)
Also they have these "parties" where they set up large tables and have buffet dinners. They sit you with other families. Now some people may enjoy this, meeting other people... We however meet new people everyday due to our jobs. I had no desire to meet or talk to new people. It's FAMILY time!!! Oh and don't expect these people at your table to speak English. I Know I am in Spanish speaking Country, however no attempt was made to seat people together that spoke the same language. Made for a VERY UNcomfortable Dinner for all involved , the other Family included!!!
Also if they do actually get your lobster dinner reservation correct (Obviously mine was not done) Bring your bug spray!! They seat you at a man made beach area next to the swamp that goes through the property. Nothing like trying to enjoy your lobster while getting bit to death by bugs and smelling swamp. The bites on my legs took forever to go away.Nothing like any type of bug bite I have ever had before.
I would also like to say I have never done a review. I have traveled a lot , had nothing but great things to say about all the other places I have stayed. I just wanted people who are trying to choose a vacation to spend their hard earned money on, to GO SOME WHERE ELSE!!!! We are a hard working middle class family that saves all year to take a great vacation every year. To some people 4 grand isn't a lot of money. For us it is a year of sale searching and coupon clipping to be able to afford this.
Also my QUOTE for transportation to and from the airport was $50 round trip. Guess what! $127 is what they charged me.Oh and no help with that ... At 5 pm the day before the transportation guy was gone and I was told by a concierge I needed to take a taxi!!! WHAT????? I have NEVER not had the resort Make sure this was taken care of the day before. I guess I just have picked very good places prior to this.... This was the most unorganized resort I have ever been at. Tips are expected and the staff is not gracious about it....

To end this review a few good things ...the grounds are well kept. rooms are clean . Snorkel trip done by the resort was great. It was $125 for all 3 of us and the people who took us out were great. Highlight of the trip.
The river that runs under the bridge is cool and refreshing , the current takes you right out so little effort was needed to swim it, which was great for my little boy.We had fun sea shell hunting, which I have never been successful in Cancun before.
Drinks are good (just bring some gas X and that takes care of what ever the problem was with the bahama mamas and frozen mixed drinks.) However these few good things under shadow all the bad. I'm sorry but I will never return ,and obviously will not recommend to my Family and Friends.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank any o
Dear Guest:
Thank you very much for your detailed review and feedback.
We are sorry to learn that we were not able to fulfill your expectations this time and we apologize for that.
Our guest' satisfaction is our main concern and you can be sure that we are giving follow up to every single detail you mentioned in order to avoid any reoccurrence in the future.
Please allow us the opportunity to welcome you back and see the improvements we have made.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We stayed at the hotel the past July 4th weekend for 6 nights. The highlights of this hotel are the sensorial tours, kayak tours, and the little beach just next to the river (senote) exit. The facilities were ok; not luxury but I think appropriate and clean. Our room was large with ajacussi on the balcony and the 2 pools were good. The kids club service was good but located in 2 regular guest rooms. The food and drinks were average with the exception of a Mexican restaurant that was hard to get into. The service was irregular; the waitress, concierge and housekeeping people were very nice and responsive. However the concierges were not really concierges but people that tried to push you to waste time with them to sell you a time share. When we arrived they did not have us our rooms keys initially since they wanted to start their marketing speech. Since we paid full price, we insisted and got our keys so we can change and relax. Then we tried to inquire for things to do in The area. Instead of helping they tried to offer us discount packages if we listened to their marketing speech. We got tired of them, rent a car , and have to find the tours on our own on the street and on the internet. The last piece that disappoint us was the main beach; the water was quite dark and you can not even see your feet. As I said before, I am glad that we went to the ecopark to find the other nicer beach. Finally the shows were subpar (Mexican night was terrible ; terrible food and terrible mariachis) and the other guests/time share owners were a little ghetto. For $290 a night , we expected better

• Stayed July 2014
5 Thank Shandrita
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Stayed here for 6 days and loved it!!! It was my first time doing an all-inclusive will definitely do it again. The service we received was above and beyond, especially from Wilberth. He was our waiter on 2 nights and his service was amazing. We were celebrating a birthday and arranged a dessert for us and a round of drinks so we can toast. I can truly say that he made our trip much better by providing the level of service he did. Our last night, we decided to eat at Porto Bello, the Italian restaurant, and enjoyed every minute of it. Wilberth is a waiter there and our food and service was outstanding.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Wendy M
Dear Guest:
Thank you for taking the time so share your experience at Hacienda Tres Ríos. Your nice comments encourage us to continue proving " A great service, a great smile".
Come back soon, remember your private Mexican retreat awaits you.