“Close to perfection”

Ranked #57 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Dallas
“Close to perfection”
Reviewed 24 July 2009

We just got back from HTR last night. It was nothing less than fantastic.
I am fairly well traveled and a very hard person to please (yes I've been called High Maintenance). So for me to give a 100% positive review is unheard of.
We arrived in the late evening, were asked to be seated and then offered any kind of beverage we wanted while we waited. Check in was quick and it was suggested to us that we might want to eat first before seeing our room as it was well after 9PM.
We went to Kotari, the Asian Fusion restaurant, were seated immediately and had a wonderful dinner.... very artfully presented. It was accompanied by some very nice wines.
We then were escorted to our room which was very spacious and I'd call it elegant rather than opulent. The bathroom space is almost like 3 separate rooms. A shower room (great water pressure), a sink with the funny hair dryer, and the toilet room. Great towels and Teva bath and hair products.
The room was kept stocked w/ sodas, water and beer and there was fruit in the room. We tried room service several times, seems we were always told "Forty minutes" but it always took less. Nice range of selections from sandwiches, pizza and pasta to grilled salmon, beef or chicken. Soups, salads and appetizers.
Our room overlooked the river, the pool and had a view of the Caribbean which it seems pretty much all the rooms would have. We spent quite a bit of time on the balcony relaxing.
The staff said they were at 80 percent occupancy. My daughter who is an exec w/ a boutique hotel company says that if they are at low occupancy, most hotels are told to exaggerate so I am a bit doubtful. I say that because at any given time there were more than ample chairs and umbrellas at the pools, and often I was the only person in a specific pool. Also the lovely king sized beds w/ the big pillows at beachside were always available. And YES the ocean is not very "swimmable." Since the river flows into the sea on property the ocean water is full of debris from the trees/plants that are along the river. It's NOT disgusting trash or anything. It's natural plant materials. If you want to stay on the beach, the river that flows there is clear and much more refreshing anyway... and I am not a lake/river fan in general.
The pools are on the warm side but not hot. While there, you can order from the bars, the wood fire pizza restaurant or the pool side grill. And it's not just burgers and dogs. It's shrimp and hot soups and cold soups and the BEST fries and salads. Sometimes we wrapped a towel around us and went for sit down service and other times we flagged down one of the wait staff and were served poolside.
That brings me to another positive. Not ONCE did I ever make a request from anyone to be told "Oh I'll get you a waiter... or Oh that's not my job." It seems as if you make a request and they'll do their best to accomodate you. For instance, at the fine Mexican restaurant, I asked if they recommended the deer or the lamb and I was told, "Why don't you let me prepare for you a wonderful combination of both." And they did. I'd call for a wake up call and was asked "Could we send something to you with your wake up? Some coffee? Some breakfast?"
Everywhere I went it was the same type of service. The staff seems to honestly be proud of the facility. I can't remember what I said to someone, but the waiter that overheard me said "yes but it isn't as good as the hotel here." And I had to agree. Everyone smiles and says HOLA as they pass.
We didn't participate in the Mexican Fiesta, but did catch part of the Mayan show and the Fire show. Yes there WERE mosquitoes. HELLOOO I was in the middle of the jungle w/ bodies of water all over. I brought some mosquito repellant wipes with me which I feel is much better than having an eco friendly resort going around spraying for insects all the time. Other than that, however, insects were not a problem.
The cenote tours were fun and informative. Our group elected to float/swim down the river from the cenote to the beach, rather than kayak. I kind of felt like a scene from Jurassic Park, but it was refreshing and fun and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
The Italian restaurant was outstanding, the buffet a step above the average all inclusive buffet, and the patisserie was a nice break in the afternoon.
The spa services were reasonably priced, the spa was attractive and the services quite good.
I've never had better service or a more pleasant staff in anyplace I've stayed in any country. The facility is just gorgeous, the food excellent and the work they've done to keep from making a negative impact on the environment is commendable.
We'll most certainly return.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
7 Thank BIGHAIRTEXAN

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (988)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 22 July 2009

I went here with my daughter who by the way was not excited about going to Mexico) at the end of June to early July to celebrate her graduating from high school and I must say we had a great time!!! Our room was clean and spacious with a great view, the food was fine and the activities were fun. The service was and is outstanding ,Everyone is so nice here very accomodating.(We love you Victor) We did the cenote tour...definitely one of the highlights of our trip.Tried kayaking (ah..not for us) Had a relaxing massage and a burn treatment (Yikes!....that Mexican sun will get ya) at the spa and one of the best pedicures I ever had...if you can, try to go!!!
We went into town several nights (wonderful). We also went to Selvatica and went ziplining in the rain forest and drove the carts....wild mad fun!!! Our days were full of adventure and coming back to Hacienda Tres Rios at the end of the day was a wonderful way to end the day

• Stayed June 2009
2 Thank msluv2travel23
cape coral
Reviewed 21 July 2009

Best vacation I have taken! Manager Samuel V. Nieto and all employees worked non-stop to make sure everyone was comfortable and satisfied. Never have I seen such hard working people! We were treated like kings and queens. All of Chef Oscar's dishes were out of this world! Mario in the Sportsbar made dancing fun! Carlos, pool bartender made a mean margarita, Julio Ceasar Dela Cruz was the best waiter in the resort. Muchisimas garcias Ivan, Trinidad, Abenamar, Pablo, Efrain, Javier, Veronica, Ambrocio for everything you did for us. All of you made our stay a great one. You made us feel like family. We miss you all. Hope to see you all there the next time!

2 Thank eres998
Indianapolis
Reviewed 12 July 2009

I appreciated all of the reviews I read before our trip to Hacienda Tres Rios, so I thought I should add my own thoughts after returning home.

We spent a wonderful week at this resort with my husband's family (five of us total) in two beautiful connecting suites. Other reviewers were right on about the quality of the rooms! The beds are wonderful, the furniture is upscale and every room has a balcony overlooking the resort.

The staff told us that there was 50 percent occupancy when we were there, but we guessed it was probably closer to 30 percent, which was very nice. We never had to worry about not getting the spot we wanted by the pool or waiting for meals. There were a lot of people in and out during the day on condo-buying tours, but it really wasn't a bother for us.

The food was a true highlight of the trip. We ordered straight from the grill menu the first night, but once we got to know the wait staff (who were all so nice!) we would just ask them to bring us what they thought was good that night. As a result, we got a wonderful array of tasting plates, with five different salads, desserts, etc., and chef's pick on the main courses wherever we were eating. If you're looking for something in particular (for me it was scallops, for my father-in-law it was lobster) just ask, and if they have it, they'll bring it. We really enjoyed the outdoor grill, as well as the Italian and Asian fusion nights at the main indoor restaurant. Tip well and engage the wait staff, and you'll be treated supremely!

I will say that brushing up on your Spanish would be a good idea before heading to Hacienda Tres Rios. It's not that you can't get by just speaking English, but both my husband and mother-in-law are fluent, and the staff seemed to appreciate even my poor attempts at speaking the language.

Finally, as other reviewers have mentioned, the ocean is not the best, but I'm glad they've chosen to stay committed to their eco-conscious moto. We really liked the cenotes (the water up stream was clear and beautiful) and the pools were so pristine and refreshing that we didn't miss the ocean at all.

If you like to try new things, with plenty of relaxing, eating and drinking in between, you'll have a wonderful time at this homey-yet-elegant resort!

3 Thank MMagnolia22
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 11 July 2009

My wife and I just returned from fantastic week at Hacienda Tres Rios where we celebrated our 20th Wedding Anniversary. For this trip, we also brought along our two sons (ages 17 and 10). We booked our trip through American Express Vacations and everything went flawlessly.
The hotel is beautiful – everything is new. Spectacular marble floors throughout the resort…and the guest rooms are magnificent. The food was outstanding and plentiful, and there was always something new. We were never bored with the food. But what stands out the most was the OUTSTANDING STAFF. WE HAVE NEVER HAD BETTER SERVICE IN ALL OUR LIVES. EVERYONE was warm, friendly and extremely helpful. On the second day of our trip, Samuel, the food and beverage manager introduced himself to me. I mentioned to him that we were celebrating a special anniversary…Once Samuel heard this, he was on a mission to make our stay the greatest week of our lives. There were surprises everyday… Most memorable was Saxophonist Fito Raygoza coming right to our room and playing the most beautiful music (what an amazing talent!!!), and having our special anniversary dinner alone at a table outside on the martini deck surrounded by such beauty. We were always treated like royalty.
Other staff members that made our stay EXTRAORDINARY were the following: Alfredo, Julio, Gener, Yanira, Ivan, Samuel, Hector, Trinidad, Efrain, Ivana, Laura and Angelice. Gustavo was a great chef. Hector and Diana at the concierge went out of their way for us, and Pablo and Dina at the front desk were wonderful.
The resort is still under construction; however, it was always quiet and never bothered us.
The cenotes were amazing to kayak and swim in, pool was wonderful…Beds on the beach were a highlight…
We thank everyone at the resort for a wonderful time…and hope to return some day. If you are looking for a relaxing vacation at a beautiful place with amazing service, we would highly recommend Hacienda Tres Rios. …and by the way, bring extra money and PLEASE TIP. The staff works so hard and appreciates it tremendously.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
5 Thank psg_chicago
Rock Hill, South Carolina
Reviewed 8 July 2009

First, let me say that I am a hotel snob. I am very picky about my hotel selections and read every review of every hotel that I am researching.
We just got home from a 5-night stay .... my sister, niece, and daughter and I enjoyed this resort so very much. It was a wonderful experience!
I give the Hacienda Tres Rios an A+++!!!
We were waited on hand and foot at the pool by Javier. He never let our drinks empty, brought us menus and food to us at the pool and took care of our every need. I have been to several all-inclusives and I never received this treatment...EVER! I
I honestly don't know how some people could say such bad things about it!
The beach is not great.....but this is because they are doing it the eco-friendly way. It may take a couple of years to get the beach "like the other resorts" in the Rivera Maya. They have to replant the correct plants to change the beach.
They do not have straws in the outside bars and restaurants because they are not eco friendly. They do have them in the indoor restaurants!
The food at the specialty restaurants is some of the best I have ever had.....every single dish is presented like a piece of art and taste heavenly! Another plus.....no draft beer! All drinks were canned Dos Equios and Tecate, great wine list and top shelf liquors.

The hotel was not terribly crowed probably due to the economy, so this will change in the next year. They didn't have a whole lot of daytime pool activities but they didn't have enough people to have any major activities. They did have pool and beach volleyball everyday. I don't like to have a whole lot of activity when I am relaxing at the pool anyway, so this didn't bother me at all.
They do have great tours.....the Jaguar tour is beautiful and we had a great time kayaking through the rivers. Don't miss it!
The sports bar at night was great fun! Mario was fabulous......do go to the dance class! This was the highlight of our trip. Thank-you Carlos and Rudy for putting up with the crazy sisters!
Even though there were not a lot of teenagers ... our girls had a great time! The activities director and others bent over backwards to give everyone a good time. The girls didn't want to come home!
I honestly don't understand the negative comments...I guess there are just some people that can't be pleased!
We did not go on the 90 minute time share tour.....I think many that did go were unhappy due to the pressure, but we were very insistant that we did not want to go. Just say no, if you are not interested. We have a beach home, so this wasn't an option, but it would be a great resort to have a time share if you are looking for one.

The staff is just wonderful, take care of your every need and make the hotel above the rest. Thanks again to Carlos, Rudy, Mario, Oscar, and Javier....you made the trip for us!

Don't miss the Mayan show....excellent!

2 Thank willksc
gap8d
Reviewed 7 July 2009

I'm writing this review mainly because I read all those previously written before our trip, and found them helpful, so I was going to feel a little guilty if I didn't do the same.

We booked our trip through BookIt, and purchased round-trip vouchers to get us from the airport in Cancun to the hotel. Best Day Travel provided the transportation. Leaving from the airport was easy enough - we were in a van with three other groups, and our hotel was the second stop, for a travel time of between 45 minutes and an hour. We were pretty tired after a long day of travel, and also hungry (it was past our dinnertime), but the van was comfortable and the driver was friendly.

When we arrived at HTR, we were sadly NOT greeted with anything to drink which would have been extremely appreciated on our part - even ice water would have been wonderful after all of our traveling. Also, before we were given our room keys, a representative of the hotel was upon us, telling us she wanted to give us a tour and coupons and that we needed to be back in the lobby in twenty minutes to meet a representative from Best Day to schedule our return trip. I would say that this constituted the worst few minutes of our time at Hacienda Tres Rios, mostly because we were tired, hungry, thirsty, had to go to the bathroom, and NOT in a mood to be sold something or have anything pushed on us that we didn't want. They didn't seem to be able to read a weary traveler's mood very well - something that they could improve on!! I explained (a couple of times) that we simply wanted to go to our room and freshen up, and could we do her tour later? She reluctantly agreed and took us to our room, talking nonstop the whole way, and then told us to come find her tomorrow. (She actually popped up again at dinner that night and reminded us about seeing her the next day. Our trip was for only a few days, and we didn't feel like spending a second of it being pitched to - we let the resort speak for itself and it did a wonderful job). We did have to go back to the lobby shorty after arriving to meet the representative from Best Day (not the driver who had just dropped us off moments before). Best Day also tries to sell you on tours, trips, sightseeing adventures and the like. Again, because we were there for such a short time, we merely wanted to lie by the pool and on the beach, read our books, and enjoy a nice dinner. So we gave the man our return flight information (which I had already e-mailed the travel company before, and that's how they knew to expect us when we arrived...) After maybe five minutes of just sitting there in the lobby, waiting, he told us we would be picked up at 11:40 on the day we departed, and that was it. At no point did he give us, at this meeting that had to take place within twenty minutes of our arriving at HTR, a yellow piece of paper which we found out on the day we left, we were supposed to have. In fact, our return trip shuttle driver was QUITE rude to us when it was discovered that we were never given anything documenting our return trip (although I had my receipt to show him where we had paid, this did not suffice). He gave us a ride, but was kind of mean about it, which we thought was horrible, given that it wasn't our fault we were never given the right paper!! That was a sucky way to end things, but now let me tell you about all the time inbetween, at Hacienda Tres Rios:

Our first night there, after we'd had a chance to relax for a second, and go get some food in us, we came back to the room for a relatively early night to bed to find a bottle of wine and cheese and crackers waiting for us. We think it was because we were there to celebrate our anniversary, but whatever the case, it was a wonderful surprise. They forgot to open the bottle of wine or leave us a corkscrew, but we later requested one and they came immediately to open it. Yay!

The food was great. Fun choices, wonderful waitstaff. As others have mentioned, nothing felt too crowded or overpopulated, as it has felt at other places we've stayed before. I'm not sure if this will change when construction is complete. The staff was super-friendly, and very attentive. We did meet the famous Oscar, who took our picture one night for us. My mom's a head chef on a much smaller scale, and she would NEVER take the time to do that, so we were very impressed and delighted at his thoughtfulness.

We had a room with a jacuzzi on the balcony, which was nice. The bellhop that took us to our room (along with the hotel rep) that first night explained as he opened the curtains to the balcony that no one could see us when we were out there and it was private. I'm not sure if he understood what he was saying, because we quickly realized you wouldn't necessarily want to be naked in that tub - people *could* see. So that was funny. :)

We enjoyed the cenote tour, biking and the jaguar tour (which included a fun kayaking trip). We also really liked the Sense Adventure experience, which no one should come away from HTR without trying! The activities folks - Sylvia, Sergio, Carlo, Oisis and Andy - will keep you smiling at all times.

We were there over the 4th of July, and aside from a man dressed as (we think) Uncle Sam walking around on stilts, and a drink one of the bartenders made my husband that was red, white, and blue, it didn't seem like a special day. Part of me thinks well, if you wanted to see fireworks and a parade, you should have stayed home in the U.S. for the big holiday! But at the same time, the majority of the people we saw staying there with us were from the states, so it was surprising they didn't do anything more creative/exciting for the holiday. (I've been at other all-inclusives on significant American holidays where they made a big deal of the day/night, so maybe I'm comparing HTR to other places in this case.)

Our favorite thing to do was relax on a bed on the beach. Yes, it was not like other beaches in the area (although it wasn't as disgusting as some people have made it out to be), but you are staying at an ECO-resort, which is trying to be environmentally friendly! If you have to have clear-blue waters, go stay somewhere else, but if you're okay with some sea-weed looking stuff floating around, and appreciate efforts to rebuild hurricane-ravaged areas, you will love it.

We got great massages in the spa - the "free" one for my husband which was $12, and a discounted one for me, for a total of $92 for two massages - not bad. (And mine was 55 min where his was just an hour).

The gym was fabulous - plenty of equipment, bottles of water and towels. They had two laptops with internet, and a printer. The first time I used one of them to check my e-mail, only one of the two computers was working, but it appeared to be fixed by the next day.

The only bad things we experienced:
1) We ordered room service one night (just an appetizer from their room service menu, nothing too crazy) and were told it would be 40 minutes. !!!! Well, an hour and a half passed, and NOTHING. So we called to check and they said they would look into it and call us back. Six or seven minutes passed, nothing still. So we called again, and they said they didn't know what had happened, did we still want food? "Yes!" we said, "What can you make? We will take anything, just whatever's easiest for your kitchen." So the woman said they would bring us a sandwich. More than ten minutes later, room service was at the door with... nachos. Not what we ordered (either time!) but perfectly delicious. So all in all, it took about TWO HOURS to get room service, and we never ordered it again. We thought our room was pretty close to the kitchen, too. I know other people didn't have that kind of experience, so maybe it was just a fluke. Something the hotel might want to iron out before they get full though!

2) We were told by some other guests that we could take a shuttle to the sister resort, but when we looked into it, we were told that we'd have to take a private cab which would cost $13 each way. We opted to just stick around HTR.

3) The mosquitos were pretty bad, but struck randomly. I didn't get a single bite on our cenote trip, but was brutally attacked when we went kayaking. We didn't have any bug spray with us, which wouldn't have helped anyway because you're not allowed to wear it in the cenotes there (or sunscreen). My husband only got a couple of bug bites. There were other couples too where one person would get lots of bites, and the other, none at all. Don't let the fear of a couple of mosquito bites stop you from any of the fun tours though! The staff even got them pretty bad at times, but it is well worth it I think!

4) They fumigated our room halfway through our four-night stay. We could have done without this (whatever they used made me cough), and I almost responded to the letter they'd put under the door saying to call if you didn't want them to come, but ironically, there was a really weird looking bug on the note itself, so we just let them do whatever they needed to do.

Overall we had an amazing time. The hotel is clean and beautiful, and again, the people are wonderfully friendly and courteous. Like others have noted, I don't know what the place will be like when construction is complete and it's at maximum capacity, but I expect future travelers will not be disappointed.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple