“A beautiful resort!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #58 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Bath ME
“A beautiful resort!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2009

My sister and I stayed at HCR July 7-12, and we loved it! Most of the time we felt like we had the whole place to ourselves -- the resort is large and well laid out for privacy. This is not the resort you choose for all-night drunken parties -- I would label this resort quiet luxury. The members of the staff were, without an exception, wonderful -- special needs and assistance requests were handled quickly and always with a smile. The food was amazing, and be sure to find the Mexican restaurant at least once. Italian and Oriental nights a la carte were lovely as well -- entertainment in the restaurants was a lot of fun. The buffet is gorgeous, too, and well-stocked for family members of all ages. Be sure to go on the cenote tour, which is magical. Overall, a lovely experience which I would do again in a heartbeat!!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
3 Thank jatwood44

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (975)
San Antonio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2009

I chose Hacienda Tres Rios after spending quite a bit of time going through reviews. Since we hadn't ever been to Mexico, we were flying blind, so we depended on the reviews that we read mainly here on Trip Advisor.
I have to say that we were extremely pleased with our choice. Although this resort isn't completely finished, it was very beautiful and the staff was excellent. Checking in was very easy, and there was no crowd whatsoever. We were introduced to our personal concierge, and we were able to schedule some activities for the week, all part of the all-inclusive package. Additionally, she asked us if we would be willing to listen to a sales presentation. While we initially didn't want to do this, she offered us a $140 Mastercard debit card and a complimentary 75-minute couples massage for attending the presentation. We agreed to do so on our second day there.
The presentation was grueling, and I truly don't understand why people would agree to do time shares. We said no from the beginning, but still were subjected to 2 hours of the presentation. Nonetheless, it was what we had agreed to do, and they fulfilled their promise, so we were on our way to our massage and soon the memory of the presentation was behind us.
Our room was very elegant and clean - the bed was wonderfully comfortable. There is a small sitting area and a table, and the bathroom was perfect. Robes are provided, and the hairdryer was strange, as has been noted in many other reviews, but I brought my own. The minibar in the room is kept stocked and they are happy to bring whatever you want whenever you request it. The balcony overlooked the pools and the ocean, as they all do in this u-configuration.
The pools are beautiful, and there is never any trouble getting a spot. The waitstaff constantly come around and bring whatever you request, both food and drink. The outdoor pizza oven provides delicious pizzas, and the other outdoor restaurant has excellent salads, shrimp, sandwiches, etc. They also make a killer guacamole. The chefs from the kitchen also circle with delicious appetizers throughout the day. The staff is always so happy to serve you, and go out of their way to get you all that you want and more. They would often bring two of everything, declaring, "happy hour!"
The beds out on the beach are also great and luxurious, and always available. The staff is always changing the linens so that it is always fresh for the next guest.
One of the most fascinating aspects of the resort is the rivers that feed into the ocean. There are a series of cenotes, which are spring-fed and cool, which then branch into rivers which flow to the ocean. It is worthwhile to do the cenote tours - both the one on bicycle and the kayak tour. The water in the cenotes is clear and beautiful, and the marine life is different than that in the ocean. It is an easy kayak trip down the river to the ocean, and it affords the opportunity to see the mangroves and enjoy some different scenery.
The food is excellent. Both at the buffet and at the a la carte restaurants, the presentation is beautiful and the goal is to please. They will make things off the menu and bring them happily. Sometimes our waiters would surprise us with something special that they made for us. The head chef, Oscar, is a force to be reckoned with. I often thought that he must have a twin brother, as he was everywhere all of the time. He would breeze by the pool areas wearing his black pants and long-sleeved shirt and black head-wrap, never once sweating a bit. He had full command of the place, and always had time to stop and visit, and he would even take time if there was an empty glass to go himself and get a refill and bring it back to the table. We never had a bad meal. Just be sure to bring dressier attire (long pants and closed-toe shoes for men) to eat at the a la carte restaurants.
Overall, it was a great trip. This is a resort for those who are looking for a quiet, romantic place that is not particularly a "party" spot. I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pettysf
Dallas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2009

We just got back from HTR last night. It was nothing less than fantastic.
I am fairly well traveled and a very hard person to please (yes I've been called High Maintenance). So for me to give a 100% positive review is unheard of.
We arrived in the late evening, were asked to be seated and then offered any kind of beverage we wanted while we waited. Check in was quick and it was suggested to us that we might want to eat first before seeing our room as it was well after 9PM.
We went to Kotari, the Asian Fusion restaurant, were seated immediately and had a wonderful dinner.... very artfully presented. It was accompanied by some very nice wines.
We then were escorted to our room which was very spacious and I'd call it elegant rather than opulent. The bathroom space is almost like 3 separate rooms. A shower room (great water pressure), a sink with the funny hair dryer, and the toilet room. Great towels and Teva bath and hair products.
The room was kept stocked w/ sodas, water and beer and there was fruit in the room. We tried room service several times, seems we were always told "Forty minutes" but it always took less. Nice range of selections from sandwiches, pizza and pasta to grilled salmon, beef or chicken. Soups, salads and appetizers.
Our room overlooked the river, the pool and had a view of the Caribbean which it seems pretty much all the rooms would have. We spent quite a bit of time on the balcony relaxing.
The staff said they were at 80 percent occupancy. My daughter who is an exec w/ a boutique hotel company says that if they are at low occupancy, most hotels are told to exaggerate so I am a bit doubtful. I say that because at any given time there were more than ample chairs and umbrellas at the pools, and often I was the only person in a specific pool. Also the lovely king sized beds w/ the big pillows at beachside were always available. And YES the ocean is not very "swimmable." Since the river flows into the sea on property the ocean water is full of debris from the trees/plants that are along the river. It's NOT disgusting trash or anything. It's natural plant materials. If you want to stay on the beach, the river that flows there is clear and much more refreshing anyway... and I am not a lake/river fan in general.
The pools are on the warm side but not hot. While there, you can order from the bars, the wood fire pizza restaurant or the pool side grill. And it's not just burgers and dogs. It's shrimp and hot soups and cold soups and the BEST fries and salads. Sometimes we wrapped a towel around us and went for sit down service and other times we flagged down one of the wait staff and were served poolside.
That brings me to another positive. Not ONCE did I ever make a request from anyone to be told "Oh I'll get you a waiter... or Oh that's not my job." It seems as if you make a request and they'll do their best to accomodate you. For instance, at the fine Mexican restaurant, I asked if they recommended the deer or the lamb and I was told, "Why don't you let me prepare for you a wonderful combination of both." And they did. I'd call for a wake up call and was asked "Could we send something to you with your wake up? Some coffee? Some breakfast?"
Everywhere I went it was the same type of service. The staff seems to honestly be proud of the facility. I can't remember what I said to someone, but the waiter that overheard me said "yes but it isn't as good as the hotel here." And I had to agree. Everyone smiles and says HOLA as they pass.
We didn't participate in the Mexican Fiesta, but did catch part of the Mayan show and the Fire show. Yes there WERE mosquitoes. HELLOOO I was in the middle of the jungle w/ bodies of water all over. I brought some mosquito repellant wipes with me which I feel is much better than having an eco friendly resort going around spraying for insects all the time. Other than that, however, insects were not a problem.
The cenote tours were fun and informative. Our group elected to float/swim down the river from the cenote to the beach, rather than kayak. I kind of felt like a scene from Jurassic Park, but it was refreshing and fun and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
The Italian restaurant was outstanding, the buffet a step above the average all inclusive buffet, and the patisserie was a nice break in the afternoon.
The spa services were reasonably priced, the spa was attractive and the services quite good.
I've never had better service or a more pleasant staff in anyplace I've stayed in any country. The facility is just gorgeous, the food excellent and the work they've done to keep from making a negative impact on the environment is commendable.
We'll most certainly return.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank BIGHAIRTEXAN
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2009

I went here with my daughter who by the way was not excited about going to Mexico) at the end of June to early July to celebrate her graduating from high school and I must say we had a great time!!! Our room was clean and spacious with a great view, the food was fine and the activities were fun. The service was and is outstanding ,Everyone is so nice here very accomodating.(We love you Victor) We did the cenote tour...definitely one of the highlights of our trip.Tried kayaking (ah..not for us) Had a relaxing massage and a burn treatment (Yikes!....that Mexican sun will get ya) at the spa and one of the best pedicures I ever had...if you can, try to go!!!
We went into town several nights (wonderful). We also went to Selvatica and went ziplining in the rain forest and drove the carts....wild mad fun!!! Our days were full of adventure and coming back to Hacienda Tres Rios at the end of the day was a wonderful way to end the day

• Stayed June 2009
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank msluv2travel23
cape coral
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2009

Best vacation I have taken! Manager Samuel V. Nieto and all employees worked non-stop to make sure everyone was comfortable and satisfied. Never have I seen such hard working people! We were treated like kings and queens. All of Chef Oscar's dishes were out of this world! Mario in the Sportsbar made dancing fun! Carlos, pool bartender made a mean margarita, Julio Ceasar Dela Cruz was the best waiter in the resort. Muchisimas garcias Ivan, Trinidad, Abenamar, Pablo, Efrain, Javier, Veronica, Ambrocio for everything you did for us. All of you made our stay a great one. You made us feel like family. We miss you all. Hope to see you all there the next time!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank eres998
Indianapolis
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2009

I appreciated all of the reviews I read before our trip to Hacienda Tres Rios, so I thought I should add my own thoughts after returning home.

We spent a wonderful week at this resort with my husband's family (five of us total) in two beautiful connecting suites. Other reviewers were right on about the quality of the rooms! The beds are wonderful, the furniture is upscale and every room has a balcony overlooking the resort.

The staff told us that there was 50 percent occupancy when we were there, but we guessed it was probably closer to 30 percent, which was very nice. We never had to worry about not getting the spot we wanted by the pool or waiting for meals. There were a lot of people in and out during the day on condo-buying tours, but it really wasn't a bother for us.

The food was a true highlight of the trip. We ordered straight from the grill menu the first night, but once we got to know the wait staff (who were all so nice!) we would just ask them to bring us what they thought was good that night. As a result, we got a wonderful array of tasting plates, with five different salads, desserts, etc., and chef's pick on the main courses wherever we were eating. If you're looking for something in particular (for me it was scallops, for my father-in-law it was lobster) just ask, and if they have it, they'll bring it. We really enjoyed the outdoor grill, as well as the Italian and Asian fusion nights at the main indoor restaurant. Tip well and engage the wait staff, and you'll be treated supremely!

I will say that brushing up on your Spanish would be a good idea before heading to Hacienda Tres Rios. It's not that you can't get by just speaking English, but both my husband and mother-in-law are fluent, and the staff seemed to appreciate even my poor attempts at speaking the language.

Finally, as other reviewers have mentioned, the ocean is not the best, but I'm glad they've chosen to stay committed to their eco-conscious moto. We really liked the cenotes (the water up stream was clear and beautiful) and the pools were so pristine and refreshing that we didn't miss the ocean at all.

If you like to try new things, with plenty of relaxing, eating and drinking in between, you'll have a wonderful time at this homey-yet-elegant resort!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank MMagnolia22
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2009

My wife and I just returned from fantastic week at Hacienda Tres Rios where we celebrated our 20th Wedding Anniversary. For this trip, we also brought along our two sons (ages 17 and 10). We booked our trip through American Express Vacations and everything went flawlessly.
The hotel is beautiful – everything is new. Spectacular marble floors throughout the resort…and the guest rooms are magnificent. The food was outstanding and plentiful, and there was always something new. We were never bored with the food. But what stands out the most was the OUTSTANDING STAFF. WE HAVE NEVER HAD BETTER SERVICE IN ALL OUR LIVES. EVERYONE was warm, friendly and extremely helpful. On the second day of our trip, Samuel, the food and beverage manager introduced himself to me. I mentioned to him that we were celebrating a special anniversary…Once Samuel heard this, he was on a mission to make our stay the greatest week of our lives. There were surprises everyday… Most memorable was Saxophonist Fito Raygoza coming right to our room and playing the most beautiful music (what an amazing talent!!!), and having our special anniversary dinner alone at a table outside on the martini deck surrounded by such beauty. We were always treated like royalty.
Other staff members that made our stay EXTRAORDINARY were the following: Alfredo, Julio, Gener, Yanira, Ivan, Samuel, Hector, Trinidad, Efrain, Ivana, Laura and Angelice. Gustavo was a great chef. Hector and Diana at the concierge went out of their way for us, and Pablo and Dina at the front desk were wonderful.
The resort is still under construction; however, it was always quiet and never bothered us.
The cenotes were amazing to kayak and swim in, pool was wonderful…Beds on the beach were a highlight…
We thank everyone at the resort for a wonderful time…and hope to return some day. If you are looking for a relaxing vacation at a beautiful place with amazing service, we would highly recommend Hacienda Tres Rios. …and by the way, bring extra money and PLEASE TIP. The staff works so hard and appreciates it tremendously.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family