Hacienda Tres Rios
US$229
  • Breakfast included
BlueBay Grand Esmeralda(Playa del Carmen)
US$320
US$605
US$589
  • Breakfast included
The Royal Playa del Carmen(Playa del Carmen)
US$423
US$286
Agoda.com
US$320
US$301
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya(Playa del Secreto)(Great Value!)
US$413
US$344
Agoda.com
US$806
  • Breakfast included
Grand Velas Riviera Maya(Playa del Carmen)
US$1,434
US$940
Bookit.com
Fairmont Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
US$564
US$415
Orbitz.com
  • Beachfront
US$211
HotelsClick
6,442 results
All reviewssegway tournature parkthe grillsense adventurethree riverssports barthe mexican restaurantchef's tablelobster dinnerfamily pooltime sharebeach bedskids clubadult poolcasino nightsales presentationbeautiful resort
Reviewed 6 August 2009

Let me start by saying absolutely we would stay here again. Now for the pros and cons of the trip. The Blueline shuttle was unclear to us. I thought our ride from the airport to HTR was payed for but it was not. $20.00 US per person and the guy pockets the money so we were not sure if we were getting ripped off. Turns out, the ride from HTR to the airport, as we were later told at the resort later is covered. But... we were told that it would be 58.00 US when we checked out. I explained the situation that had occurred to us and the fee was waved. When you check in you are immediately approached about setting up a time share tour. We always do the tours because we like the free gifts and it makes it worth it to us. I wish that it we weren't hit so early after our arrival however. At the airport we were also corraled by a time share tour. As we looked for our shuttle, the shuttle rep led us to the time share appointment maker to a different resort. We'll know to avoid that problem next time. Our room was exceptional. Marble tile floors throughout, three bathrooms, great views etc. The staff was very, very helpfull and friendly. The ground are very clean and fesh looking. The resort, we were told, is not really even officially open. We felt as the we had the whole place to our self!! Never did we have to search for a pool chair, towel, bed on the beach. What ever we wanted we had. The waiters had our drinks ready for us as we entered the pool or beach area! We rarely had to ask! They knew! Tipping is not required but as hard as the people worked I felt compelled at the end of the trip to sporadically leave tips. The food was good and changed frequently. Honestly though it was a little too gourmet for our liking. I guess the "Gringo" in us came out as we anticipated more tacos, burritos, fajitas and the like. If you wanted something not on a menu, all you had to do was ask. They would do their best to get it to you. The water at the beach is not at all like the photos on the web site. But they are working hard to beautify it. Never stopped us from swimming in it however.Speaking spanish is not needed but it does help. (Thank you Rosetta Stone) Overall, we will be returning to HTR. We had a fantastic time!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank barkmr
Reviewed 4 August 2009

I went alone (single female, 50+) to totally relax and not have to adhere to any routine. This was the best ever. I'm well traveled and can say that this was the best resort that I've ever been to. I didn't find the need to leave it for anything. If something wasn't on menu --you could request and it would be brought out --i.e., lobster--every night. Room service was superb. Full bar in suite was included. Travertine marble bathroom--fluffy bathrobe provided. Queen size canopy beds on beach so that you can read and relax or whatever in luxury. Nature preserve--beautiful flora--guided tour of grounds; kayaking also included; I did take the 90 min sales pitch because I arranged ahead for free massage, pedicure, and $50 in gifts to bring back from their shop. All day strawberries dipped in chocolate. After dinner shows were educational and entertaining-Mayan dancers, history included. You will not want for anything.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled solo
3  Thank monalawyer
Reviewed 4 August 2009

We chose the Hacindo Tres Rios after reading the reviews thinking it would be a grea t place to take my daughter, her husand and two granddaughters since we read that the rooms are large and the food is excellent. We had a problem with the safe in our room when we checked in so we called the front desk to see if they could send someone to open it. The front desk person told me to enter 1111 and it should open. It didn't open, so they sent someone down to fix the safe. We wanted to put our cash and valuable in the safe instead of carry it around with us. The second day we were there we went to get some cash and noticed that $200.00 was missing. We counted the money and wrote down how many 20's, 10's and 5's and then we went to the beach and my daughter and I went to get massages. When we left the spa they told us that the tip had to be in cash, so we only had a $18.00 in ones and I wanted to give my daughter back the ones she had so I told her to come to our room and I would pay her back and give her some spending money. I went into the safe and $200.00 more dollars were missing. I went to the pool to tell my husband and he went to the front desk to talk tot the manager. Needless to say, they said we couldn't prove that someone stold the money and didn't do anything about it. That nigth I had a nightmare that someone was trying to get in the room and my husband woke me up as I was screaming in my sleep. I felt like we had been violated and I did not feel safe. It's sad because the hotel is beautiful, the rooms are lovely and the food is wonderful. The food and beverage director/chef is amazing. The pools were OK, no swim up bar and service was minimal at the pool. The beach was just OK at the hotel. We read that they offered a shuttle to Playa Del Carmen but that wasn't true.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank SweetieLeagueCity_TX
DavidZCancun_Mexico, Manager at Hacienda Tres Rios, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2009

To Whom It May Concern Hacienda Tres Ríos appreciates all of the reviews on this site as it gives the opportunity to see what we are doing right and what we are doing wrong. It also gives us the opportunity to share information with all of the Trip Advisor community. In reference to this review we appreciate all of the positive comments about the service and property. Regarding the security we would like to mention that we take all of the preventative measures that are commonly used in other hotels worldwide. The room is issued with a safety deposit box which allows guests to access it using a personal code which is known only to them. The room keys which are issued to our guests are also registered into our system. This allows us to monitor who is entering the room at any given time.

During this guests’ stay we received a call reporting a cash robbery from the safety deposit box. We immediately responded by having our security and management staff report to the room to conduct an investigation. The safety box was examined and it did not appear to be violated or broken into in any way. Thereafter, a report was generated showing the access made to the safety deposit box. That report demonstrated that it had only been opened by using the code which was created by the customer. The room lock report was also printed. That report showed that the door was only opened on the date and time frame in question, by the guests themselves. The report did not show access by housekeeping, maintenance, management or any other employee who might have access to the room.

We reviewed these reports with the guests who made the complaint and determined that no robbery would have been possible. We advised the guests that they were well within their rights to contact the local police should they feel it necessary, but after review of our reports, we, as the resort, would not be pursuing further investigation of their complaint. The guests refused to report the alleged incident to the local police, but continued to insist on receiving compensation from the resort. We regret that these guests feel this way, however, all of the necessary measures were taken in order to respond to their accusations. Our resort has and will continue to follow strict security measures to ensure the safety of our guests and their property.

Reviewed 1 August 2009

I wanted to let the resort know how we felt about some things and when I asked at the front desk for a comment card they told me they do not have them and to go to Trip Advisor- so here I am. I will start by saying that everyone on staff was wonderful. Front desk check in went nicely until we got a call about an hour later that they put us in the wrong room- we said we were fine and they still wanted to move us- we had already unpacked- they went to put us in the same room on a different floor but ended up giving us another room which had a hot tub- nice touch, but it didn't really come in handy in 90 degree weather. The all inclusive when you trade is about $149 pp/per day and comes to $170 when they add 12% tax. This really was too much especially if you compare it to other places in the area. We have stayed at many different all inclusives and this was by far the most expensive. We knew this but felt that there would be enough to warrant it - lots of restaurants, things to do... What you actually get really did not justify the cost. There are some on site "tours" included. Book right away. We stayed Sat. to Sat. We went to book the bicycle tour on Sunday and were unable to get in until Friday. (The resort was about 30-50% booked and has 6-8 bicycles). We met another couple who went to book on Wed. and was unable to get on a tour. You cannot take the bicycles on your own until you've gone on the tour. We did the kayaking tour which was a lot of fun- You can snorkel or ride in the kayak. There is another interesting tour which is an adventure for the senses- they should tell you that you should watch what you wear as some of the things used stained my clothes- the tour itself was worth doing- very different. The rooms are lovely and spacious. They have robes, blow dryers, irons, and small refrigerators they stock with some soda, water, and beer. They do nothing special in the rooms- We had a 2 bedroom- no cute little towel animals or decorations on the beds- they did not replenish conditioner, or even take the dirty towels on the floor one day. One bedroom did get a treat on the bed one night. These are small things and were not an issue for us, but at the price they ask, should not have occurred. As far as food, it is very good and there is nice presentation, but it really was very limited, especially for the cost. They have a buffet, a grill, a mexican restaurant, and an asian-fusion/italian (these two are in the same location on alternate nights but are both closed on Friday), a brick oven pizza place open during the day, and a small place to get little desserts or some finger food and coffee/espresso. The grill and buffet are open during the day- the grill is only open on Monday, Wed., and Fri. nights. Breakfast buffet was very good and staff was attentive. Lunch buffet was also good. Dinner buffet was okay- desserts were plentiful. There is one bathroom by the pool, but it is a little ways from certain pool sections. There is one bar by the pool closest to the hotel and one at the other end. There is one bar inside. During lunch hour, the people working around the pool must also work at the restaurant so drinks don't come as often. Although there weren't a lot of people at the resort, it did feel understaffed. Lots of umbrellas and chairs around the pool, but it did get dirty by the end of the week- bark and sand in the pool. This was evident by Thursday. It was nice that you always had towels available and didn't have to sign them out or in. Evening entertainment was good when they had shows. There was an outdoor gathering with a buffet. Service was very very slow- 25 min. to get water or any drinks- They had a great fire show. You can go down by the beach, but, as they will tell you, the water is brackish. Don't expect a typical caribbean beach. We knew this when we came and were fine with it. There were no real walking tours which would have been nice. We had a nice time with family but, for the money, they really need to do more - add some things to do during they day - there is not much for the kids to do at the pool but swim, unless you bring some pool toys- For the cost, they still need to step it up a bit- they definitely have potential but are just not there. I wrote I would recommend to a friend- if they were a Sunset owner and paying $99 pp/per day yes, but not for the $170.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank travelerfam
Reviewed 28 July 2009

My sister and I stayed at HCR July 7-12, and we loved it! Most of the time we felt like we had the whole place to ourselves -- the resort is large and well laid out for privacy. This is not the resort you choose for all-night drunken parties -- I would label this resort quiet luxury. The members of the staff were, without an exception, wonderful -- special needs and assistance requests were handled quickly and always with a smile. The food was amazing, and be sure to find the Mexican restaurant at least once. Italian and Oriental nights a la carte were lovely as well -- entertainment in the restaurants was a lot of fun. The buffet is gorgeous, too, and well-stocked for family members of all ages. Be sure to go on the cenote tour, which is magical. Overall, a lovely experience which I would do again in a heartbeat!!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends