“Fantastic”
Review of Hacienda Tres Rios

Hacienda Tres Rios
Ranked #66 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 16 September 2009

My wife and I decided to stay at Tres Rios for our honey moon, Everything couldn't have been more perfect!
I've never felt more pampered in my life. The service was excellent from check in to check out. The staff truly made us feel like royalty.
We stayed in a one bedroom suite which was absolutely beautiful. Everything was brand new and the room had to be close to 1300 square feet!! You truly have to see it to believe it.
While on the 300 acre resort my wife and I had the opportunity to swim in a fresh water cenote, snorkel down one of the resorts three fresh water rivers and spend hours relaxing on a mile of white sandy beach.
My favorite thing about the resort besides it's beauty and cuisine would have to be the friendliness of the staff. My wife and I couldn't believe how great the service was, everyone went above and beyond anything we have ever experienced. Mike K , CT

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mkirdzik

Reviewed 11 September 2009

Wonderful hotel. Still a little work being done but did not interfere in any way. The pools are amazing. The staff basically meets any needs or wants and are very friendly. We traveled with our 5 year old daughter and we had no intentions of taking her to Kids Club but she went one afternoon and loved it. Silvia was amazing with the children. One afternoon they had a Spanish class and she came out with more words than my husband. This place has activities to offer so you don't even need to leave if you don't want to. We will be going back again.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank LakeTahoeHeather33
Reviewed 10 September 2009

We spent a family vacation at Hacienda Tres Rios (HTR) the second week of Aug 2009. HTR is a quiet serene place. If you are looking for a big raging party and a singles seen this is not the place for you. The property, pool, rooms and all of the facilities are beautiful and spotless clean. Many people have commented on the beach not being so nice but it is not that bad. The beach is fine and the beds are an interesting touch. The water is not the “blue” Cancun water and has some plant life in it. If you want to go into the water you can find places with sand. My wife had read about the “bad” beach and didn’t go for the first 5 days. When she finally made it to the beach she was pleasantly surprised. The beach was almost always empty, with less then 10 people every time we went.

Some of the biggest advantages of HTR are the cenote, river and grounds. We really enjoyed going to the cenote for a cool swim and using the kayaks. This is not something many resorts have and you must take advantage of this. One day my daughter and I kayaked from the ocean up stream to the cenote with our own snorkeling equipment. We left the kayak at the cenote and then snorkeled back down the river effortlessly with the current. A very unique experience! They also have a sail boat that you can take out or they will take you out at no charge.

I found the food to range from ok to very good depending on the meal, restaurant and what you ordered. We felt that the specialty restaurants like the Asian Fusion and the Italian to be the best. Don’t be afraid to go off menu and ask for whatever you want not just what is on the menu. Off Menu examples we had included; surf and turf at the grill, salmon at the grill, fettuccine with shrimp at the Italian. In general we thought the seafood to be some of the best food. We did tip many of the staff especially if they went out of their way to help us. Getting food and drinks at the pool was not difficult. Our drinks were rarely empty.

I have read many comments about the price and value. Some people transferred their time share and then spent $150 a day pp for the all inclusive. We paid less then half of that including the room. I would consider this an incredible value for what we paid. I don’t think we could find a better deal anywhere.

Overall we loved it and would go back.

I would like to point out some areas of improvement and how HTR could make some simple changes that would make guests stays better. It is very difficult to know what activities are going on each day and what the nightly show or event is going to be. They should have a board on the lobby of “Today’s activities”. The staff doesn’t even know and often needs to find out and get back to you. We had an issue with the lack of detail on the menu. We do not eat pork and my daughter ordered the lobster salad. The lobster came wrapped in bacon. They made her a new one without the bacon and we pointed out that the menu did not include the bacon much to their surprise. They need to somehow add a bathroom by the far pool near the beach. It is a long walk to the bath by the grill. (not sure how to solve that one) Some of the extras need more extras like the free DVD rental that has only 20 DVD’s or the video game rental that has only 1 game. I was told that the games were stolen by someone who signed them out a month ago? Charge them and buy new ones, it shouldn’t take a month if they want to be a 4-5 star resort.

Overall we loved it and would go back.

Reviewed 10 September 2009

If I could give this hotel more than 5 stars I would. My friends and I were so well taken care by each and every member of the staff! There was never a dull moment our week vacation. There was an amazing selection of activities to do, which were free might I add. I would like to suggest the Jaguar Tour with Ismael, snorkling and catamaran tour with Jorge, the Senses Tour (I was not able to do this one but people in my group loved it!) I would also suggest the tequila and wine tastings! Oscar the head chef has a wonderful talent for exotic food. There is an amazing staff as well, we felt so well cared for, thanks to Carlos for the special waffles (made by Santiago) at breakfast with fresh strawberries! Our poolside waiters Moises and Santiago were amazing! So quick and accommodating. By the second day many of the staff had taken the extra step to remember our first names.
We wanted to say a special thanks to Osiris, Luis (tours), Jacqueline (front desk), Santiago (amazing breakfast!), Samuel, Sergio, Jose (wine tasting), Roberto (entertainment/tours), Mariana (Bar tender), Jorge (Catamarans), Carlos (waiter), Santiago (waiter), Moises (waiter), Ismael (tours), Antonio (for making us our "fancy" coffee)! I'm sure that there were many others which we forgot to mention however, each of the staff did an amazing job caring for us! Thanks so much, we can't wait to return!
- Jen from Chicago, IL (One of the loud nurses!)

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jenny S
Reviewed 8 September 2009

My wife and I along with our teenage son and daughter stayed at Tres Rios August 22-29, 2009. There probably isn't enough space to describe what a wonderful time we had. Although this was obviously an off peak week, with occupancy below 50%(?), there was no let down as to the service and quality. The facility is built with eco torism as a primary focus. Cenotes are available on the property and there is a tremendous amount of activity devoted to reclaiming and restoring the ecology to its natural state (a result of the damage from the hurricane a couple years ago).
We have been to many properties on both coasts of Mexico over the past decade and I have to say this ranks as one of the best we have encountered. You can generally see how a place is managed through the faces of its employees. From the housekeeping staff to the waiters serving drinks on the beach, there was never anything but smiles. They went out of there way to meet any request we had.

The highlight of the vacation was getting to know Oscar- the Executive Chef and Food and Beverage Manager. He has an infectious smile and a genuine desire to exceed his client's expectations. He seemed to be always on the move- working with staff and interacting with guests. We had several special food requests and was amazed at how willingly they were accomondated. I spent many years in the hospitality industry when I was younger as a chef and manager and, upon request, was treated to a behind the scenes tour of the kitchen. I was impressed with the almost sterile working environment and the obvious competency of the culinary staff. To cap off this week we engaged in a special treat . My wife and I were provided a special private dinner to celebrate my birthday. {Oscar- my wife still raves about dessert!!!}
The wait staff couldn't have been friendlier in the restaurants. We knew them by name and they got to know us.

The food quality was superb. Top shelf alcohol.
Rooms were amazing ( we had a 2 bedroom suite- with 3 full bathrooms) No problem with noise. No problem with bugs.

The beds on the beach made me feel like I should be filming a Coronna commercial. The convenience of the location in proximity to Playa and Cozumel was a bonus.

The nightly entertainment was professional. The free internet cafe with the daily petite fours and tea sandwiches were incredible. Afternoon tea and evening martini bars on the veranda outside the restaurant was a nice touch.

I could go on and on. We will be back- soon!!

And to the owners of the resort- Oscar deserves a bonus for what he adds to the resort experience.

3  Thank PhilfromPhilly
Reviewed 7 September 2009

We Loved this resort and have been to Mexico 4 times already. The food was delicious and the service was impeccable.We enjoyed every meal. it was beyond or expectations!
My 4 kids ages 13, 11, 9 and 6 spent most of their time during the day with Silvia at THE KIDS CLUB. My kids always want to be with us and here they could not wait till they opened their doors @ 10 AM. They met other children --went on the Kayaks, went to the pool, beach -arts and crafts. They had so much fun. Silvia is the best! It gave my husband and I some alone time to enjoy the beautiful pool,Cenotes, catamaran, beach, food and drinks. I almost forgot...the beautiful white beds on the beach !!!! 5 stars +---KUDOS to theThe whole staff- Thank you again----Efraim, Samuel, Silvia, Fernando, Claudia and Patricia---just to name a few of the wonderful people that helped make our stay so wonderful. Mucho Gracias!!! -----The Noah family- New York

1  Thank risanoah
Reviewed 5 September 2009

We just returned from our first all-inclusive vacation at HTR and loved it. Before going, I spent many hours reading all the reviews here on TripAdvisor, so I wanted to make sure I added my comments to help future travelers.

We booked our trip via Bookit.com and found a great deal including airfare. We used Besttransfers.com for our roundtrip shuttle from the airport. Everything worked out great.

We arrived on a Monday and were greeted at the front desk by name, along with a couple glasses of refreshing juice and towels. We were told the resort was at about 50% occupancy, but we didn't see more than 10-12 other people for a few days, owing to the fact that we arrived on a Monday in low season. We were quickly led to our room.

All rooms have an ocean view. We stayed in the junior suite and it was quite spacious, with a king bed, sofas, Philips flat screen tv, large bathroom with separate toilet and a large walk-in shower. There is a digital safe in each room. Air conditioning was strong and our room was quite cold. The room was immaculate and very very comfortable.

Outside, there are two large and shapely pools. There is a grill restaurant and also a pizza oven near the first pool. You can walk up and order something to eat. Most likely though, someone will come to your pool chair and take your order and deliver it. Here we have to give a special shout-out to Santiago, one of the servers who seemed to be EVERYWHERE and always asking how things were and if you needed anything. We saw him early in the morning and late in the evening.

There are also beds on the beach, and these were wonderful for just spending the afternoon reading and enjoying the ocean breeze. The beds and beach are a bit of a walk to the grill/pizza, but Santiago popped up so we never moved a muscle.

We saw the Mayan show and the Fire show and both were great.

For dinner, your options are the grill and pizza place if you are outside, and the two indoor restaurants. One is the Mexican restaurant, and the other alternates between an Asian-type and Italian-type restaurant. Note that there is a dress code for the indoor dinners for the men: Pants with covered shoes. I did get away with a t-shirt and flip-flops though. Dinner was a la carte (order from about 8 entree items, plus appetizers) and each dish was presented beautifully. The quality of the ingredients were all very good, very fresh, very flavorful.

Breakfast at the international restaurant was our favorite. There was a wide variety of foods and all were tasty. We never felt like any of the dishes were mass-produced--rather smaller portions were set out and constantly replenished so nothing sat out cold. Considering the low occupancy, I think they managed the food rather well and we never felt like we missed out on anything. To sum up, food was our favorite part of HTR, and everything was so full of flavor.

We stayed four days, and on our second day we planned to drive out to the Coba ruins. I had done some stressing out regarding renting a car and getting the right required insurance. I was planning to take a taxi to Avis in Playa del Carmen and renting car from there. In the end, however, we ended up renting from the hotel itself (rental car office located on first floor near gift shop). We rented the smallest car with insurance, for a total of $60. Stress free.

I agree with all the positive reviews this place has earned, they are well-deserved.

* * * * *

To address some of the concerns I've read about:
-The resort is still new and in progress. Everything you need to enjoy your stay is finished (rooms, gym, restaurants, pools, etc.). However there is construction going on throughout the day and you do hear the sounds of hammers and power saws. It didn't bother us.

-The beach directly in front of the resort is not your "white sand/blue-green water" beach. We understood this, since the freshwater rivers flow out directly next to the resort. The water isn't clear, but it's certainly not disgusting. Yes, you can walk 5 minutes to the south and get your nice beach.

-Sales Presentation: we declined, and were glad we did. Our concierge Lety was very nice, and told us the presentation was not the hard-sell, and would take just two hours over breakfast. We were also offered many tempting gifts in return (private dinner on beach, or tours, etc.). However, we saw other couples who apparently decided to attend the presentation, and hours later still saw them following a rep around the resort, looking a bit wilted. NOT just a two hour breakfast. So, if you want the gifts, fine, but understand you will use up quite a few hours of a day to get them. We declined with no pressure or "guilt trip" and that was that.

-As first-time AI'ers, we wondered about tipping. However, in the end we just tried to tip those who gave us personal service such as our dinner waiter and poolside servers. We also left a tip in our room for our maids. Why not?

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank robotdog
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Fairmont Mayakoba
Fairmont Mayakoba
#9 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
The Royal Haciendas All Suites Resort & Spa
The Royal Haciendas All Suites R...
#48 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Mahekal Beach Resort
Mahekal Beach Resort
#28 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen
Azul Beach Resort The Fives Play...
#58 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Generations Riviera Maya by Karisma
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#3 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Hacienda Tres Rios? Share your experiences!