“Best Vacation Ever”

Ranked #63 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Rochester, NY
“Best Vacation Ever”
Reviewed 2 April 2010

Our wonderful experience started when the Bell Boy Jesus took our bags. He immediately made us feel at home. Hellen checked us in with a wonderful smile and Jesus took us to our room explaining everything from the air conditioning to how to order room service. Whenever we passed Jesus in the lobby he would inquire about our stay and ask if he could be of any assistance. This was the attitude of each and every staff member at Hacienda Tres Rios (H3R).

If you are looking for a "Spring Break" type of resort where you can party your brains out, H3R is not the place for you. We live in New York state where life is always rush rush and stressful. If you are looking for a resort where the staff learns your name and brings your favorite drink while yoou relax, then this is the place for you. Just the right amount of activitities if you wish to participate. If you want to spend the day reading and napping on the beach beds that's OK. A wonderful place to leave your cares behind. Never did we have to rush to the beach to be certain to have a beach bed. Yes the water at the beach is not crystal clear. That is still the effect from hurricane Wilma. That storm wiped out many mangrove trees whose roots are still breaking down and washing up. Ricardo and his crew are hard at work restoring the beach. Ricardo is gentle man that I can only compare to the wise mountainmen of the Rocky Mountains. His knowledge and understanding of the eco-system is priceless. Your first impression of him may be a grizzly man working on the beach. On several occaisions we saw him place beautiful shells and pieces of coral into the hands of women and children while his grandfatherly eyes twinkled. The section of beach between the rivers is a wonderful place to explore and swim. While at the beach you can be certain that Agelica will take your food and drink order. Angelica is a wonderful woman with a contagious smile. A person we will never forget. The Beach beds are cleaned everyday and the bedding changed out periodically during the day. A wonderful place to relax and escape the stress of our day to day lives.

The pools were always crystal clear. Manuel was alway friendly and eagar to bring us what ever we wanted to eat or drink. Even when we were walking through the pool area to the beach Manuel would greet us by name, ask if we were enjoying our stay and if he could be of service. Angelica and Manuel made our experience at the beach or the pool a memorable experience.

We ate breakfast every morning at the buffet. I chose not to eat omlettes, pancakes, French toast, or bacon. I can eat that food any day of the week at home. Every morning I chose to eat something new. The variety was great. One morning I had chicken with some sort of black sauce . When I asked the waiter Orlando about the sauce he explained that it was a Mayan negro relleno sauce. It was DELICIOUS. Orlando and Gregorio were always very kind and polite. Gregorio jokingly called me Senor Michelada because he knew that I so enjoyed a cold Michelada.

Yes you will probably be approached by members of the H3R sales team. I can say that Dana, Fred, Marc and Chad were very respectful. It is their job to sell residence memberships. They do their best to explain all of the membership packages available. They will listen to what you have say. Never did we feel as if they were twisting our arm to commit to purchasing a membership. We feel they were extremely professional and courteous. Whenever we would see them after our first contact they too would greet us by name and ask if our stay was satisfactory. They would always take the time to engage in conversation and we know that their kindness was sincere and not an attempt to pressure us into puchasing a membership.

The concierge staff was wonderfull. Diana, Yarra, Hellen, and Trinidad were always helpful and available. They were very kind and patient. Shannon from Alberta, Canada, who worked at one of the other desks, was always helpful when the concierge desk was very busy.

Oscar the head chef and Samuel were outstanding. These two men seemed to be everywhere. They were always taking care of little details while always having the time to chat with visitors. They are SUPERMEN.

Head waiters Martin and Jose made dining a wonderful experience. Jose's Tequila tasting was very enjoyable and educational. Because of Jose, my friends now say I am a tequila snob. I have tried to share my new knowledge of agave with them. Jose spoke Spanish during the Tequila tasting while Osiris translated in English. Though Jose speak English, this made the experience very authentic. If anyone enjoys good Tequila I highly recommend this activity. Jose's knowledge of Mexican wine and spirits is incredible.
Other members of the restaurant staff that went out of their way to make our stay memorable were Oswaldo, and Wilbur. Wilbur gave Michelad lessons. I am certain that I have left out others who were so dedicated to making us comfortable.

One of the young housekeeping staff is Raul. Everyday he was sweeping the floors at breakfast and later was cleaning the restrooms at the pool. He doesn't speak English so I asked another staff member to tell him how much we appreciated his hard work at keeping the resort spotless. He responded with a great smile as if to say, "Thank you for noticing." Every day after that he always made it a point to greet us and give us his spectacular smile.

Pastries are one of my true passions. The little patry shop was one of my favorite places. If you must have your daily tea or just a sweet tooth that needs to be satisfied, you must visit the pastry shop every day.

The thing we most love about Hacienda Tres Rios is their dedication to the environment. Early every morning I was up at dawn walking to the vivero (nursery) or the cenotes with my binoculars. I saw over 40 species birds, native mammals, butterflies, and fish. Every day I watched the Tejon ( Coati) in the trees eating the fruit of the Zapote. H3R truly operates in a green eco-friendly way. I recommend the Sensadventure. It was absolutly wonderful.
The staff that leads the varous outdoor tours and activities are SUPERB. Jennifer's love and knowledge of butterflies and insects is amazing. Andy is willing to take you by Hobbie Cat to the reef for snorkling. Osiris' and Tony's kind friendly nature makes every biking or kayakiing tour a truly enjoyable experience. Just like everyone else they always greeted us by name and asked if there was anything they could do to make our stay even more enjoyable.

Sergio is one of the BEST nature interpreters I have ever encountered. Dana, one of the sales representatives set up a personal nature tour with Sergio. I work at a nature center and have been involved in environmental education, and nature interpretation for years. I was completely blown away by Sergio's talent. His abilities would make my college professor proud. He explained the Ancient Geology of the Yucatan, the flora and fauna, the Mayan culture and how H3R fits in. He so patiently answered all of my questions and kindly listend to all of my stories about our natural world. Sergio taught me a few Mayan words that I was able to use on our Mayan tour guide at the ancient city of Coba. The guide was amazed that I knew how to thank him in Mayan. I have Sergio to thank for that. I felt as if Sergio and I were family. He made leaving Hacienda Tres Rios the most difficult part of our vacation.

Poximo Ano

3 Thank SenorMichelada

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,026)
JoOSU01
Reviewed 1 April 2010

After reading reviews on multiple sites for months, I decided to book with Hacienda Tres Rios based on multiple great reviews on trip advisor and its own site. I feel compelled after basing my decision to book to write about our experiences.

The purpose of our trip was a graduation gift for my boyfriend for his MBA. Booking thru a third party site was a breeze, and I had full confirmation within two days from both the booking site and the hotel. I requested a king bed (as I was told most are queen for families), and was grated that at check in.

Check in was a breeze, took about 5 min and we were welcomed with special green juice (pineapple, celery and parsley), very refreshing after a day of traveling- and we were able to request it during our stay as well. Our bags didn't make our connection, but the front desk promised to call and deliver the moment they arrived- which they did sometime early morning. We woke up with our belongings and ready to start our trip.

Room- large, clean, and bright. I will say there was a slight musty smell but that diminishes once you've been there for a week- most likely due to the humidity. Maid service and turn down service was always good. Be sure to hang the do not disturb or come and clean sign on your door prior to bed or once you leave in the morning- otherwise the cleaning staff will start knocking at 8:30 AM!! Our room didn't have this card, and since the staff only spoke Spanish it took a few days to figure this out. Our ICE machine did work in room- you are able to look at menus, order room service, pillows, cleaning, turn down service, etc. In room internet connection sometimes went out, but we were on vacation! We didn't turn our TV on until the very last night.

Pools- the pools are large, clean and semi-quite. The front area is the adult area and they play softer music, and the pool towards the beach plays a little louder/ more upbeat music with children. Both areas had plenty of chairs, umbrellas, etc- we never felt we couldn't find a space- occupancy was 67%

Grounds- were immaculate, and there always seemed to be someone planting and cleaning. You are bound to see raccoons, and a monkey type animal.

Shows/Night life- this area is lacking for sure. The fire show was great, but other than that, the resort really dies after dinner. Victory Sports Bar plays music at night, but the lights are kept high and makes it not seem like a night life sort of spot. The Martini Bar (same area as tea service in the day) was really great, but not out every night, which was disappointing.

Beach- the water is brown. If you are looking for clearer water walk out to the beach, turn right and walk to Blue Bay Resort- there is a nice shallow sandbar and is a great place to get into the water. If you turn to the left on the beach and go over the bridge the water is very clear (where the river meets) and there is a nice hammock for relaxing.

Food- The food was fine, I don't think it was out of this world, but I had things I enjoyed, it was just a little hit or miss. I assume with most resorts you will find this- food was just a little bit more on the bland side. My boyfriend and I both really enjoyed the Asian night (shares with the Italian restaurant). Italian was fine, we didn't try the Mexican, and tried the Grill twice- first meal was blah, but we really enjoyed the second. Lunch was at the Grill or Pizza place. Let me say if you are all inclusive- you can order another dish if you don't like it- just tell them, they are also really accommodating- ask and most likely you'll get it even if it isn't on the menu. I would recommend going to the wine tasting during the day, you get to taste all the wines they offer by the glass so you know what to order. Breakfast was only at the buffet, I really wish they had different options- it seemed to be the same each day. I ate mostly fruit and at the omlette station. I really think they would be better off having a short cook than the buffet and maybe there wouldn't be as much waste.

Tours- we biked, kayaked and took the nursery tour. It was too windy to do the catmarans which we really wanted to do. Be sure to sign up for the tours in the lobby.

Fitness center- a bit hard to find (with the spa area), but fine if you want to get in a sweat session. Not huge by any means. A few weight machines, free weights, and 3 EFX, 3 treadmills, and 2 bikes. Perfect for our needs.

Photographer- they have an on site photographer which is really neat. If you want a family picture or anything else taken you can schedule a time (for free) and let them go to town- packages may be a bit expensive, but on par for Chicago photographers.

The Grill during the morning has a whole bunch of fruit juices and smoothies. I don't think the OJ is fresh squeezed (I'm an OJ snob), but it was fine.

Room Service was spotty- they delivered once and forgot about us twice. Pool service is slow, but the area is large, and the girls/guys run/work all day. If you don't want to wait 20 min for your frozen drink, get out of your chair and go ask for one- you'll work off a few of the calories you've been consuming. If you don't mind, sit back, read your book and wait. Only once did pool service not bring our items. Be sure to ask for the liquor you would like- you pay for top shelf, you should get it.

I didn't feel the need to tip, but we did. Everyone works so hard, and are always smiling- I don't think we ever got preferential treatment, but I know they were thankful and did seem to remember our faces better.

On our check out day- we used the ICE machine for a wake up call and bag service. They never came to help with bags, so we had to drag 4 large bags a long way to the lobby ( a downer to what was a good trip). They also turn off your ICE machine so all those great features (flight status, weather) you might use the day of departure you can't. Lastly, we ate breakfast in the buffet prior to our airport pickup, and I got food poisoning. It was a small egg/spinach square that we both laughed at and commented how gross/dry it looked. Odd that it would look like this when we were the 1st guests in the buffet for breakfast just after 7 am (a few days old perhaps??) After a "I dare you to eat it", I did and I regretted it. I didn't eat anything else that day, and I got sick about two hours after I was home (9-10 hours later). Seven days, doctors apt, and antibiotics later I seem to be getting better.

All in all I'd go back again (but will most likely try something new), service was great, food ok (beware of the buffet), rooms clean, everything we wanted we got. If you are going on vacation to read, relax and chill this is your place- if you want a party and lots of young people with crappy booze check out the Blue Bay next door.

Miami
Reviewed 1 April 2010

Phenomenal resort. Can't complain about anything. We were a party of 16 and have 3 kids. We all had a fabulous time. Resort is more than beautiful, everything was extremely clean, staff was truly amazing, food was delicious, guests were super nice, etc..... I completely recommend this resort to EVERYONE. It's amazing.

• Stayed March 2010
2 Thank momof3Miami
little rock, AR
Reviewed 31 March 2010

My husband and I try to do our homework prior to trips, and I read a lot about the resort prior to going. I was very trepidatious about the time share push, but we arrived at 7:30 pm on a Wed night (3/24/10) with a very tired 7-year-old and NO ONE mentioned anything about time shares for the 4 nights we stayed. The room was nice - no tub, but no problem. The beds were the most comfortable we've slept on in Mexico - this will make our 5th trip. We really liked that the resort was small. We never felt crowded and there was no obnoxious behaviour from other guests trying to save palapas. We also did not have to make reservations for the restaurants which was refreshing. The staff was attentive and pleasant and as in previous posts, We went ahead and tipped even though tips are included. The folks who there are really working hard. Oscar, the head chef was omnipresent and an assest to the resort. Our kid really liked the kid's club and cried the first day when it closed. The beach does have debris, but we didn't care b/c the river was clear, cool and refreshing. A trip to the cenotes was a plus. We enjoyed the low key atmosphere with no loud music or Spring Break crowd. We don't need others to keep us entertained. We just wanted to relax and read and this goal was achieved. There are plans to expand the resort to 1000 rooms (I think). The idea is disappointing b/c it will mean deforestation of existing mangrove tress, and it was sad to see that the flock of birds nesting in trees that we could see from our window will soon lose their home. As long as it stays small and relaxing I'll come back. Say no to any time share offers if you don't want time wasted with the pitch. Nothing comes for free. However, I am very delighted that this was not even an issue on our trip.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Shelly S
illinois
Reviewed 31 March 2010

My roomate's grandparents took us to Hacienda for our spring break. After we arrived and my friend's grandpa paid for everything, the hotel told us we weren't staying there but actually we were going to another hotel. My friend's grandparents were very upset but they made us go anyway. I felt bad because my friend's grandma was really upset and sad and cried alot then during our trip. My friend and I were ok though because they sent us to the AZUL which was way more happening for us. The AZUL wasn't so good for my friends grandma because there were alot of stairs and she has pain walking and with her knees. There were even some stairs to get to the beach. The people at AZUL were nice though and tried to help her.
Worse things happened though. The Hacienda told us we could come back and hang out at their park and hotel anytime. The first time we wen't to swim in the cenotes it took over an hour for us to be picked up. The second time they made my friend's grandpa pay for our cab because we only got cab fair free for once? This was not what they told us when they shipped us off!! My friends grandparents wouln't let us go after that.
That was really ok since the water at the beach was not very nice. It looked like melted chocolate and all kinds of crud would stick to you when you went in it. YUK.
I really felt bad about it all and know they will never go back.

Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
4 Thank carlyswimmer
New York
Reviewed 30 March 2010

Absolutely the worst experience ever! Not going to go on and on as you can read the other experiences that we failed to read beforehand...BUT READ THEM...do not take a 3 or 4 mark rating to be good, take the time to read what the travelers have experienced, you will be shocked!

You will be made to feel like you have been abducted and that if you do not buy a membership into their "lifetime" package you may never see Playa del Carmen (a good 30+ minute drive from there) or anything outside of the swamplands their property is on, again. I am not exaggerating! Their sales tactics are the worst I have ever seen. You are attacked by one sales representative after the next, each worse than the previous... the final one literally taking you into a "back room" and abusively yelling at you (and your crying wife by this point) at the top of his lungs "I work for the developer and you are stupid for not investing in this opportunity!" I will not use last names but CHRIS from Canada should be ashamed of himself, for putting us into the hands of that abusive individual in the first place. Your boss DALLAS has sorely misled you about how to treat honest good-hearted people. We have contacted the American Consulate, Better Business Bureau in the US and travel agencies to notify them of our frightening experience and to find out what can be done to prevent anyone else from this "bait and switch" DANGEROUS situation.

If you go, be warned about the mafioso sales tactics, the dark and murky ocean water due to the proximity to the swamplands the hotel is built on. And know that just up the beach there is crystal clear water for swimming, snorkeling or diving, with no sharks (sales sharks that is).

Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
3 Thank SurfsUpNewYork
New York
Reviewed 30 March 2010

We stayed at Hacienda Tres Rios for 7 days. Got a deal online all inclusive. This resort is very beautiful and the upkeep is impressive. Its a new hotel only opened a few years ago. This is our experience:
FOOD:
Food was ok. The buffet was adequate but really could use more selection. It was always fresh but lacked variety.
The pizza grill was great! Nice coal oven pizza.
The outdoor grill by the pool was ok for lunch. Nothing great. But the dinner menu at this outdoor grill is much better and probably the best in the resort. Inside the main lobby upstairs is an authenthic restaurant that was really nothing to mention. The food was not good but I appreciate their attempt at making regular food fancy. I would have been upset if i was paying for that meal instead of all inclusive. Dont forget to order your lobster dinner. You have to tell anyone at any restuarant the night before you want to have it..........you can eat it at any of the restaurants and it really is the best meal. Also try the rib eye steak at the outdoor grill for dinner......excellent! There is a waiter bythe name of FRANCISCO who works 9-5 at the outdoor grill who is so attentive.he will get you anything you need. Ask him for the grilled shrimp and he will bring it to you poolside! He definetly deserved the extra tip we gave him.

ROOMS: The rooms were amazing! We had the junior suite which was great. Very spacious and clean. Everything is new. Some rooms have lousy hairdryers but I got lucky and had a good one. You may want to bring your own just in case. Every night we had turn down service which was cute. Nice touch. The showers were large and spacious and the tolietries were very good too.

RESORT: The pool was beautiful, Very large and loads of private areas.never got crowded. Everything was new. They have reallyt cool beds around the pool, very relaxing. PLEASE GO DO THE CENOTE TOUR....JAGUAR TOUR. Its really greta and free! Sign up in lobby. The grounds of the resort were wonderful...very eco friendly and clean and the cenotes (underground rivers) were amazing. You MUST see them. They are on the property.......You can walk to them or take the free kayaks and snorkel gear and paddle to them. Truley a great day and all on the property.

BEACH: The area directly in front of resort is not that good for swimming. The beach is beautiful but thw water has a very natural event taking place which causes the water to look black........its the trees and they said it is purely environmental.. I personally didnt mind it...if you literally walk to the left about 100 yards you can swom. Beautiful shallow clear water..........The beach also has canaopy beds set up with curtains so the afternoons were really very relaxing for us. ..YOU CAN SWIM-just to the left of the direct beach.
NIGHTLIFE:
The nightlife was truely lacking......there really isnt a cool bar to go to like other resorts. The resort has the abr sharing the kids activities room which does not make for a bar! Silly really. A lobby bar would be beneficial as adults had no where to really go in a traditional bar sense. The resort did put on a Mayan Show which was cool......the entertainment was cheesy and needs imporvement.
Overall:
The resort provides free kayaks, and cataramans for you to enjoy. The bar service on the beach is slow and should be addressed. This resort is great for families and kids and also couples who like to do things together. The resort is in the process of adding an equestrian center so horseback riding is coming soon. That will be very cool. We had a wonderful time here and recommend this resort. I feel that they will make this resort even bettter. The food was ok and if they update the food, this place will be unbeliveable. The staff are amazing and attentive. The rresort was very cozy and close to many attractions.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple