“Endless Luxury with very hospitable and knowledgeable staff”
Review of Hacienda Tres Rios

Hacienda Tres Rios
Ranked #64 of 210 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
austin, tx
“Endless Luxury with very hospitable and knowledgeable staff”
Reviewed 25 July 2010

My husband and I stayed at HTR for one week with my mother and our two young children the first week of July. For the purposes of transparency, I will disclose that we are owners of this time-share resort. However, our experience with the time-share presentation was not heavy-handed, nor was it uncomfortable in any way. The resort sold itself. For those who complain about the presentations, I would suggest that perhaps they should not have attended the presentation in the first place. If you can't afford to purchase, then please don't waste the time of the salespeople to get your free tickets to area attractions.

Pros:
1. The grounds are immaculate. It makes relaxing so much easier when the entire resort is bright and clean.
2. The green building is a nice change. The resort captures rain water on the roof for use on the grounds. It also has a desalinazation plant to use ocean water for the grounds, rather than using drinking water. It was nice to see the trash receptacles have two sides, one side for trash, and one side for compostable products.
3. The nightly shows were well-done and tasteful. Our entire family enjoyed the Caribbean beach party, and the Mayan show was great. My husband and I enjoyed kareoke night as well.
4. Although the spa was a little small, compared to other resorts of the same level, the services were dreamy. The resort is currently in the process of building a 3000 sq. ft. new spa facility, so this will be a nice addition.
5. On-site cenotes, kayaks, snorkeling was fun and adventurous.
6. free wireless access in our suite
7. The service was very friendly. I was sad to see that most who were vacationing did not tip their servers. Just because this is an all-inclusive resort does not mean that you should not tip those who bring your food and drinks! My husband and I made sure to tip on all services, and we were well taken care of.
8. location. The resort is about a 15 minute ride to 5th Avenue- the major retail and restaurant strip in Playa del Carmen.

Neutral:
1. The cuisine was hit or miss at this resort. The Pizzaria near the pool was amazing. The fire-burning brick oven made the best crust ever! The poolside grill was very good also. The grilled shrimp were huge and cooked perfectly. My children enjoyed the self-serve ice cream poolside and the pastry shop greatly, especially the chocolate fountain with fresh strawberries daily. The asian fusion grill was probably my favorite, followed by the Italian and the Mexican restaurants, which were both tasty. The servers were very knowledgeable regarding the menu. The room service menu, although limited in choices, had tasty options as well. The only food that I thought was lacking was the daily breakfast buffet. The items on the menu never changed, thus by day seven, breakfast was getting really boring. We never ate the lunch buffet, but we heard the lunch buffet was similar to breakfast... same thing every day.

Cons:
1. Beach, or lack thereof. The beach area is nice if you want to lounge in the covered cabanas with a good book. However, if you want to get in the water, this is NOT the place. The beaches were very poor compared to others I have been to in the area. However, we were able to take the shuttle to the sister resort about 20 minutes away (Fisherman's Village), and that resort had a breathtaking beach. We were also able to take advantage of their all-incusive with our visit. Thus, if you are willing to take the free transportation to the sister resort, you will have access to pristine beaches.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank hook_em_travelers

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,025)
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 24 July 2010

Service was fantastic. Samuel one of the managers was incredible. He made our stay worth evey penney. Without him our week would not have been so wonderful. He and his staff were on top of eveything we needed before we had to ask. I would recomend this resort to everyone I talk to. The food was fabulous, pool was awesome, and the nature park was fantastic.

• Stayed July 2010
Miami
Reviewed 22 July 2010

My sister and I stayed at the Hacienda 3 Rios for a week in June. What a wonderful place! The personnel, the hotel, the amenities, the cenotes, everything was great and we enjoyed it tremendously. So much so that we are already planning our next trip.

• Stayed June 2010
CT
Reviewed 22 July 2010

There are NO words to describe how amazing this place is. I get SICK to my stomach when I read some of these bad reviews.... are you people psychotic? This resort is by far the most Clean, Friendly, Accommodating, Gorgeous place I've ever had the pleasure of staying at. We are STILL dreaming about our trip. If this place didn't live up to your standards I really don't know what else will!! Probably nothing because you're probably miserable ;)
I have to say from the moment we got there the place was immaculate... you could have ate off the floor it was so clean. Our jaws basically dropped just walking in. I couldn't believe I had an opportunity to stay at such a nice place. The staff was always friendly and helpful. As far as the timeshare stuff goes.... Please people, do yourselves a favor and just say "No thanks!" They wont ever bug you ever again! TRUST me! I mean seriously your going to find that everywhere you go in Mexico.
The number one thing about this place was how amazing the food was.... I've heard and know alot of people that have gone to Mexico and have said the food was O.K. and they basically expect it to be bad. Well let me tell you, the food here was some of the best. I honestly can say I had some dishes there that tasted better than ones I've had living in the states. The Buffet was incredible every single day.... especially the omelet station. Everything was delicious. The head chef Oscar is extremely nice... and talented apparently because all the waiters and waitresses are totally on top of things because he basically runs it all.
Another thing I was impressed with was how clean the rooms were. The staff came twice a day.... turn down service at night. I could almost swear they washed the floor everyday - they were beautiful marble. If anyone is like me I tend to skeeve staying at places that aren't my own home. But this place really did it for me because I felt so comfortable as if I were in my own home. That's really a lot to say because you rarely ever feel like that especially when your in another country!! The view on the balcony alone was enough to make you want to quit work and life and stay there forever... It was breathtaking!
Major plus - the rooms all have flat touch screen computers... so if you feel out of touch being in another country just hop online and change the language to english and you have Free internet right there to do what u please!
Being an open-air resort the whole time I was there I never once found a bug or any little creepy crawler in our room. You'd think being in Mexico you'd find millions. Just the smell alone of the hallways and the rooms its so tropical.
Seeing all the beach complaints before we went made us a little skeptical but let me tell you there is absolutely nothing wrong with this beach.... Its clean, its pretty, the beach beds are always spotless. Its the most relaxing beach you would probably ever go on and the water is clean (regardless of what other people are saying).... they are doing everything they can every day to make it as clean as possible being they do have rivers that flow into it.
If anyone is interested in the cenotes Go! You'll never see anything like it especially kayaking through its like your in a forest, just wear bug spray! The rivers are so clean especially for snorkeling - really beautiful.
The pools were always so clean.... the staff would be scrubbing the tops of the umbrellas and draining the hot tubs in the middle of the night every night... things you wouldn't even expect out of a resort. They go above and beyond expectations.
This place was absolute PARADISE.... I recommend it to everyone and anyone. The downside is that is pretty pricey but as they say 'you get what you pay for' and you definitely do at this resort. I'm going to start saving to visit again as soon as I possibly can because my vacation was a dream and one of the best and relaxing times of my life! Im dying to experience it again!
Couples especially -- please check this place out! So Romantic, you wont be disappointed! :)
Lastly, Im still scratching my head at why this place isn't rated higher because there really is NOTHING better than it... being newer and all I know it'll get its name out there more.
I know everyone has their own opinion but let me tell you anyone who doesn't like this place totally needs to get their head checked, Im sorry! ;)

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank beachbabeC
Chicago
Reviewed 18 July 2010

We got married at HTR in November of 2009. It was great. Luis was our wedding coordinator and he took care of everything. We truly didn't have to worry about anything, flowers, DJ, or photographer. We stayed a full week with all our friends and family, 50 total guests. Food was exceptional, service and friendliness of all employees was first class. We recommend checking out all HTR offers, including kayak trip, cooking class by the pool and the bike trips. The evening shows were quite impressive for all ages. Not one of our wedding guests complained about service or food. We highly recommend HTR for a wedding and we can't wait to go back. One last thing, a shout out to Andy, an activities staffer, who really impressed all of us. Thanks for being awesome.

• Stayed November 2009
Griffin
Reviewed 18 July 2010

Our family stayed at the Hacienda Tres Rios with a large group. The staff there is extremely professional and willing to help. There are a few staff members that really stand out. Erik the bartender outside by the pool--he made getting drinks more than just an order, he made very aspect fun, he would even create a drink especially for you. Juan with activities made laying around the pool a blast, you had to dance and do water aerobics with him. Gina,also with activities always wanting you have fun and willing to go the extra mile to make sure it happens. The option to go out to the nightclubs was a great added benefit. The staff stays with you to make sure you are safe and continue to have everything you need. All three of these became part of our extended family. The resort is very clean, the food is great, they would make food for you even if it wasn't on the menu. Eat at the pastry shop, they change the menu there everyday. The buffet has the best breakfast options. The pizzeria just amazing. The Hacienda grill, great for lunch or dinner. We had a wonderful time and experience.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Johnson City, Tennessee
Reviewed 18 July 2010

The location, hotel activities and pools were all great. Unfortunately, one of the big perks of an all-inclusive resort is the food and at Hacienda Tres Rios it was SubPar.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple