“Great little hotel with helpful staff!”
Review of Hotel Casa Ticul

Hotel Casa Ticul
Ranked #92 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 8 June 2011

Nice place, close to the beach and the main street, and good breakfast!

• Stayed: May 2011
1  Thank brandonroman

Reviewed 2 June 2011

We stayed at the Hotel Casa Ticul when we went to Playa for a friend's wedding. The wedding was at one of the huge resorts at the southern end of town, and we definitely got the better deal!! Casa Ticul is very personal because of the small number of rooms. We got to know the front desk staff fairly well and even saw one of them on 5th Avenue a few times. Our room was very clean, and very well appointed. The breakfast on the roof patio was amazing and definitely got the day started off right. Also, the passes to Mamita's beach were wonderful and helped us spend a relaxing day on the beach. The hotel staff also helped us book our tour of Tulum and Coba, which were both great. The only thing that wasn't 100% awesome was that the wi-fi did not reach into our room; however, the computers in the lobby worked well and I try not to be completely connected when I'm on vacation anyway!

All in all, a great place to stay and enjoy Playa del Carmen.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LordNottingham
yoyo68, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Casa Ticul, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2011

Thank you for your comment!
We are happy that your stay has been in your total pleasure and you meet some of the cultural sites of the Mayan Riviera and taking you great memories forever.

Reviewed 5 May 2011

We only stayed 4 nights but loved it here so much. The shower is ultra modern with a rainfall shower head, they have wonderful toiletries including even mosquito repellent (I didnt notice any mosquitos however) and a nice TV. The WiFI was easy to use and fairly fast, although sometimes I had to stand near the window to get a good signal.

The room has a fan and a good air conditioning unit, we turned off the air conditioning everytime we left the room for the day yet it was always nice and cool in the room. I saw other guests just left their windows open to allow the breeze in.

The mini bar has very reasonably prices, $1 water, $1.50 gatorades. This was the first time in my life I actually helped myself to the minibar since it was reasonably priced.

The breakfast on the rooftop is so wonderful. There are plenty of seats, plenty of shade, and plenty of options.

The room cleaning was always great, we'd come back to really intricate towel sculptures. It seemed the more we tipped the more amazing the sculpture, it was fun!

They give you coupons for free chairs and umbrellas at Mamitas beach club. I highly recommend you go there, its on a great spot on the beach, has a great bar and restaurant or they bring the food to your chair. Try the fried fish, its good. Try and get there before noon, the chairs and beds fill up fast.

The design of the hotel was genius, it allowed for the pool to remain in the shade almost the entire day, so that you always have a refreshing swim away from the intense sun beams of doom that are plentiful in that tropical part of mexico. They always played tasteful background music that seems to only be audible if you are in the pool area.

It was always quiet, we never heard another room. The only sounds I ever heard was the weird tropical birds in the morning that live in that part of the world.

This hotel is located in what I kept heard being called "The new avenida quinta". If you are familiar with SoFi in South Beach, the area south of 5th street in South Beach Miami, this part 5th street in Playa del carmen is very similar.

I don't think any travel guide or forum I visited prepared me for how tacky and awful 5th street /avenida quinta is in terms of tourist trap hell. Thankfully Casa Ticul is in the very nicest part of Avenida Quinta, at the very northern end.

Also I noticed even if I caught a cab on that part of 5th street, I never got charged tourist prices of 50 pesos for any distance. It was more in the 25-35 peso range per ride.

There are two small tiendas (convenience stores) located right next to the hotel, making it very easy and very cheap to get whatever small things you need, from beer, wine, lighters, snacks, water to aquas frescas.

The restaurants near the hotel are the best. You are a short cab ride from El Dogon for authentic Tacos al Pastor, or a stone throw away from excellent steaks at El Facon, best breakfast at La Cueva del Chango, best small dive bar/lounge Casa Rosa, and best Mojitos and salsa dancing at La Bodeguita del Medio. This is the absolute best part of Playa del Carmen, there is no doubt.

One tip: don't use the ATM right outside the hotel, it charges a large fee. Instead take a cab to a ATM located around 30th street for the best rates. I used Santander bank near the MEGA on 30th.

Also the hotel offers many convenient tours. We did not use them for this, but they seemed to have many options at good prices.

They have a nice computer area near the front desk if you want to check your email or the weather or whatever you need. It seems the front desk staff speaks good english and gives great advice for what to do or where to eat.

The only downside is it is adult only, no kids allowed, so if you are looking for a family hotel this is not the one for you.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank bboyneko
yoyo68, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Casa Ticul, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2011

We appreciate your excellent commentary, analyzing every part of our service and it always helps to be better in every detail.

We hope to give a nice and new surprise on your next visit!

Reviewed 3 May 2011

We booked our trip to Playa Del Carmen in April to plan our upcoming wedding on a travel site that gave us an awesome deal. The deal was so great, we were extremely worried the hotel selection was going to be horrendous. To our surprise, Casa Ticul was the highlight of our weeklong trip. The hotel is located on 5th avenue about a 5 minute walk from the busy part of 5th avenue but it seems like its a world away. The hotel is located in a calmer residential area that was perfect for our group which consisted of 4 people in their late 20s and my parents who are in their late 50s. I had not been to Playa Del Carmein in a couple of years and to say it has changed from the charming quiet town i remember is the understatement of the year. There are gift shop employees that hound you down the minute they spot you, casa ticul was a welcome refuge after a busy/noisy stroll. The pool is small but was great to cool off in after a long day at the beach. the rooms are modern looking with great beds and thoughful toiletries like aloe vera gel and bug repellant provided. The breakfast was a great spread of fruit, juices, bread, and eggs. the breakfast is served on the terrace of the hotel which is covered with umbrellas and feels at least 20 degrees cooler than the intense heat you feel when walking in Playa. If you're looking for a great resource, make sure you chat with Paola the young lady who works the front desk. Paola was extremely helpful and friendly, she set up most of our wedding meetings and provided us with a ton of information. We loved our stay at casa ticul and cannot wait to go back.

Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 April 2011

My wife and I chose this small hotel as we generally avoid bigger resort-type places. The stay was great, nice rooms, amazingly friendly and helpful staff and conveniently located up the street from the main nightlife and restaurant strip of 5th ave. They have a small pool for relaxing closer to the room and the magnificent beaches are a short 5min walk away. If you're looking for a low-key, laid back alternative to noisy or crowded resorts, this is it! Playa del Carmen is a beautiful little spot away from the overly built commercial madness of Cancun.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
yoyo68, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Casa Ticul, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2011

Thanks for your nice comment, we are happy to see you again on your next vacation in Playa del Carmen!

Reviewed 30 March 2011

We just returned home to Boston from a wonderful stay at Hotel Casa Ticul. I chose this hotel because of the reviews and I am glad I did.
Everyone that works here is just wonderful, very kind and helpful. We felt welcome from the minute we walked through the door.

This hotel is in a great neighborhood close to the best restaurants in the town.
I loved getting up each morning and having a made to order breakfast on the roof deck. The warm smiles that greeted us each morning were worth getting up for, not to mention the fresh local eggs and cappucino!
Corner store and laundry service were great too.
This is a place where I will return again and again.
++very clean and comfortable, thanks to Hotel Casa Ticul and Nicolas our driver to and from airport. Everything was wonderful.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple

Thanks for your suggestions and your nice comment.

We will consider all suggestions like internet on the terrace and the table for the reading rooms.

For your next visit we will ensure that your stay is even better!

Reviewed 28 March 2011

My wife and I spent two weeks at Casa Ticul late February and early March this year and we'll go back again. We've been to Islas Mujeres and Holbox, Tulum, and Playa del Carmen a number of times and this year decided to stay in a nicer hotel rather than make a low price the key thing.

Casa Ticul is far enough north on Fifth Avenue that the noise and jostling is a few blocks away and you're, instead, in a pleasant little neighborhood that's quiet and not built up, yet. It feels more like Mujeres and Holbox and Tulum than Cancun. Wonderful little restaurants are within three to five blocks and recommendations from those at the front desk were superb--the less money the meal cost, the better their recommendations. We ate a number of dinners at a little two-table place about five blocks away where the chicken tamales hit the spot night after night, and the bill never came to more than 70 pesos (athough we'd leave 100).

I spent my days writing up on the roof terrace where breakfast is served. During the day usually no one is up there and the tables and chairs plus loungers and view are perfect for privacy and work. Each day I'd go into the shower up there and wet down my shirt and shorts three or four times during the afternoon so the water would evaporate, cooling me.

Breakfast is the highlight: the cooks are kind and willing to make whatever you'd like. Delightful breakfasts with scrumptious juices and food all cooked and served by the most kind and helpful women you can imagine. We tipped them but the breakfasts are free.

The pool is clean and cool, but its placement is impracticable and it was almost never used.

Three things could be improved: first, there's no small table and chairs in the room, so the only place to read or write or do e-mail is on the bed; second, the bed is wonderful, but it sits on top of a platform that makes getting on and off quite awkward; and third, internet connectivity would be much improved if they added a couple wireless routers--especially one on the roof.

From the owners to the people who sorted the laundry on the roof each afternoon, everyone was polite, cheerful, and willing to help with any need. We had a delightful two weeks, walked everywhere, and thus got a lot of good exercise (no need for a car, here). We plan to go back.

Thank you, Casa Ticul!