“My partner wanted to go back home when he saw the hotel”
Review of Hotel Casa Ticul

Hotel Casa Ticul
Ranked #92 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 8 May 2010

To be fair, we had just spent three days at the Weston Resort in Cancun which is right on the Caribbean. I thought I understood that the Casa was on the beach. When we finally found it and pulled up in front, my partner wanted me to change the reservation. I thought I had 24 hours to change it, so I asked if we could delete the last day. They had charged my credit card as soon as we walked in the door, or possibly before that, and would not let us out of the reservation. The person the receptionist called said I had made the reservation 4 months previous. Not so. I made it two days before we left for Cancun. We got our ticket for the beach since we could not check in right away. It poured down rain as we walked to the beach. We never did find the place they told us to go to. Our room was right on the court where people smoke and socialize. There is a very small pool there. The rooftop breakfast was very nice even though the wind was blowing everything about. The three block walk to the shopping area was safe, but I would not try it late at night. I stay in hostels when I travel to Europe alone, and thought of this as an upscale hostel. My partner hated this place. The staff is very pleasant and not their fault it is not on the beach and there is not a jaquzi in the room. The only bad thing were the bites on my legs which I recognized as bedbugs dining on me as I slept. These ubiqutous creatures are a fact of life, especially in Mexico. But extra care in cleaning can rid a room of them. I read all the other reviews and agree this is a good place to stay since many ruins and theme parks are close by.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Peritoluvsme

Reviewed 7 May 2010

I have mixed feelings about the hotel... It was certainly not what I expected. The positive: Clean hotel ground and friendly staff. I agree with all other reviews that every staff working at this hotel is very helpful!I The breakfast on the rooftop was nice and the kitchen staff was very attentive. The neutral: Location -- If you are planning to use public transportation to get around, please note it will be a bit of a walk to the bus station. The shops and restaraunts are at a shorter distance but I would have prefered it to be a little closer. The negative: While the room was always left clean by the cleaning staff, it was just way too moist and muggy, even with the A/C on. The bed was a bit too soft (preference issue) and the water pressure in the shower and the toilet was inconsistent. Perhaps it was just the room we were in but I found these things a bit uncomfortable.

If I may recommend a couple things to the hotel owner...1) Consider bicycle rental for guests. It sure would be helpful in accessing the bus terminal and the main drag down 5th avenue. 2) Better in-room climate control. Maybe the A/C can be adjusted by the hotel staff before the guest arrives so the room does not feel so humid. No other reviews seemed to point this out as an issue so it may have just been our room...

I personally wouldn't recommend this hotel to a friend.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank joa51
Reviewed 5 May 2010

I stayed at Casa Ticul at the end up April and found it a great place to relax and enjoy what Playa Del Carmen had to offer. The room was very spacious and comfortable, the hotel was always spotless and has everything you need, and the staff were always incredibly helpful!

I would recommend Casa Ticul to anyone who is looking for a great place to stay and relax in Playa, with it being only a short walk to great restaurants and the beach. I wouldn't hesitate to go back!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 May 2010

We rocked up about 10pm exhausted after a long flight and day seeing the sights in Cancun. The room was spacious and had a king sized bed and most importantly air conditioning that was quieter than anywhere else we stayed in Mexico. The staff were very attentative and we had free passes to go to the beach club at Mamitos which is a very cool place to hang out for the day. Breakfast was served on the roof terrace - nice touch! Would love to go back.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 May 2010

My stay at the Hotel Casa Ticul was just over a week. I found the staff always extremely friendly, specifically Wenseslao (the hotel clerk), who was always informative, and professional with every intension to make our stay with them a memorable one. The rooms were kept meticulously clean. The breakfast was amazingly good (specifically the cheese crepes and mushroom omelette were out of this world) a great start to your day. The hotel is two minute walk to the beach and maybe five to where shopping market place on 5th street starts. All over i had great experience and stay, and would recommend this hotel to any friend or family member.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 April 2010

This is the first time my boyfriend and I have been to Mexico. The hotel staff made our stay pleasantly welcoming and we left with a very good impression of Mexico. The beach is within walking distance and the free pass to use their chairs at Mamitas beach club was awesome. If you are not a walker, there are lots of cabs available. But if you take the public transportation a lot, it is a 15-20 min. walk to the bus station. We love being away from the crowd on 5th Ave though. Thank you for your hospitality Casa Ticul!!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 April 2010

Hotel Casa Ticul exceeded our expectations. Very clean, very nice rooms. We stayed in a King room which met our needs very nicely. The room was comfortable and fairly roomy. Housekeeping did a great job and the hotel is very well maintained and clean. We loved th decor. The staff were excellent - from the two young men who worked the desk to those who prepared out breakfast each morning. The guys at the desk were more than helpful and informative about the area and always welcomed you back with a smile. If you are looking for a party hotel this is not it. If you are looking to lay out by the pool then find a big resort. Hotel Casa Ticul is a small hotel with a lot of class and has a very personalized "family" type feel. The Hotel is a short walk to the beach. Although it is not in the main area of town - it took us about 15 minutes to walk from 38 street to the bus station near 2nd street. The walk was good exercise to work off those meals - and the taxi is only $5.00 if you don't want to walk. The area Casa is in is quiet and there are a few good places to eat in the immediate area.

We found that exploring out to 30th Avenue is where a lot of the more authentic food is, and often just a short walk and we found it to be safe.

If I ever come back to Play del Carmen - Hotel Casa Ticul will be the place to stay!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends