“Not what we expected”

Ranked #36 of 1,267 Restaurants in Playa del Carmen
Price range: US$5 - US$30
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Description: ****** We Do Not Accept Credit Cards ******Carboncitos serves authentic Mexican, Mayan, Charcoal Grilled Steaks & Seafood at an attractive price. Be it breakfast, lunch, happy hour, or dinner; it's the consistently delicious meals served that keeps guests returning again and again.
Bayville, New Jersey
“Not what we expected”
Reviewed 4 November 2011

We just returned from our third trip to PDC in the past year. We read the reviews of Carboncitos and always wanted to try it, but didn't make it until this past trip. It was a cloudy day and we decided to go to 5th to do some shopping and get a massage. It was happy hour when we got done, so it was perfect. Couldn't wait for the tacos el pastor! First of all, the waiter did not tell us anything about happy hour. I wanted the happy hour margarita and the tacos el pastor. I actually had to ask him what the happy hour menu was! If not for Trip Advisor, I would have never known about it. My husband got the taco pastor meal, but I just got 4 of the tacos on the happy hour menu. My husbands meal was good, the pork in a really great sauce with soft tacos. Mine, however, horrible! Four small tacos (which was fine) with three or four tiny pieces of dried out pork with a little lettuce. That was it! Maybe I expected too much because of the reviews, but I really couldn't believe it when he brought it. I ate one half of one taco. I am NOT a fussy eater, but I could not eat any more of it. So, he came to take the plates away, never even asking if everything was ok after seeing that most of it was left. I am not one to give a bad review, but I was sooo disappointed!! Maybe it was because it was happy hour and there was no one there but us and another table. Maybe dinner is better. To me the service was horrible, the food was no good and I won't ever have to go out of my way to go here again.
That being said, the Margarita was great! Also, went to pay the check when it came and found out we had spent more shopping than we expected. Pulled out the credit card, but they don't take credit (I knew that from TA but forgot). So here were are, it's pouring rain outside and we don't have enough money (we were around $10 short on the bill). The two ladies who were at the next table, who we were talking to the whole time we were there, offered to make up the difference. We said no at first, then said we would send it to them when we got home. Well, they would not hear of it. They paid what we owed on the bill and actually gave the waiter a tip (which he did not deserve) and said to us "If you come across somebody in this situation, help them" which we certainly will!! We met a couple of great people there, but for us, I had better tacos el pastor at the Riu Palace Riviera Maya! Oh almost forgot, the cheese crisp was great!

2 Thank dtagg5

• Czech first
  • Polish first
BC
“Visit Playa a couple times a year and never miss Carboncitos!!”
Reviewed 31 October 2011

We love to try different places but usually always eat at Carboncitos at least twice during our vacation, Overall the food is to die for but the pumpkin seed salsa and the Margs keep us coming.

Visited February 2011
1 Thank MexicoJune
Somerset, New Jersey
“A surprise”
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Are expectations we not high but we were pleasantly surprised. The assortment of salsa was very good and they were unique and had a good flavor. I had the Tortilla Soup and my wife had the chicken consume both were very good. The coconut shrimp with a tamarind sauce was excellent. Mixing the sweet and sour flavor. My wife had the Chicken Poblano with Queso and she was extremely happy with her food. If you are looking for traditional Mexican food at a reasonable price this is an excellent choice.

1 Thank Jerry G
Rock Island, Illinois
“Great food, comfortable setting, fantastic service!”
Reviewed 31 October 2011

My wife and I went to Carboncitos on a recent vacation to Playa del Carmen, Mexico. We have read many great reviews from other travelers and wanted to see if the title of best guacamole in PDC was warranted.

First the service was excellent with prompt attention and a fun bilingual staff that seems to enjoy having us in their establishment. We ordered a couple to Dos Equis and they arrived very cold which isn't a guarantee at some places. They served a medley of chips and salsa that had pico, pumpkin seed salsa, salsa verde. My wife had the guacamole as well and let me know (a non-guac fan) that it was indeed the best she had had in our travels to Mexico.

Our entrees were steak arrachera and grilled shimp that they served with fresh tortillas. The steak was a little fatty but delicious and the shrimp was epic to say the least. We thoroughly enjoyed our meal and the time we spent at Carboncitos so it is a given that we highly recommend it to other travelers.

1 Thank Shivors
United States
“One of our favorites in Playa”
Reviewed 31 October 2011

What can you say that hasn't been said before? Start with the salsa platter...a great mix of salsas that I can't figure out which one I like best (they keep refilling so you can keep sampling) Then if you like shrimp, get the shrimp brochette. Shrimp, peppers, cheese and bacon. Excellent Mole dishes too. Wash it down with some XL Margaritas.

We went here three times in a week...excellent happy hour deals (2X1 Taco El Pastor) and lower prices Margaritas and buckets of beer.

• Visited May 2011