“Dinner and a floor show...who knew?”
Review of Carboncitos

Carboncitos
Ranked #36 of 1,267 Restaurants in Playa del Carmen
Price range: US$5 - US$30
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: ****** We Do Not Accept Credit Cards ******Carboncitos serves authentic Mexican, Mayan, Charcoal Grilled Steaks & Seafood at an attractive price. Be it breakfast, lunch, happy hour, or dinner; it's the consistently delicious meals served that keeps guests returning again and again.
“Dinner and a floor show...who knew?”
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed one night in Playa and were wandering looking for a place to have dinner. We popped in here and were so glad we did.
The wait staff was very attentive, and talented! My daughter ordered lemonade, and the waiter balanced it on his head to deliver it. Fun!
Tables around us ordered sangria and several would be stacked on his head to deliver to the table.
The food was great. I'd call it Mexican/Mediterranean. The fish was very fresh, the appetizers were delicious, and the suggestions the waiter made were awesome. I ordered Mahi Veracruz style on his recommendation and it was awesome.

HotelCielo, Owner at Carboncitos, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Thank you Amy for taking the time to write your review

Glad you enjoyed our seafood, definitely the freshest in Playa, we go through approx. 250 lbs. of Grouper alone in just 1 week.

Well, we know you are on vacation so we want to keep you entertained & we are just happy you had a great vacation, dining experience

We appreciate the recommendations

Amy, we know there are many restaurants in Playa del Carmen, so thank you for choosing Carboncitos & we look forward to seeing you when you return to the beautiful Mayan Riviera

• Czech first
  • Polish first
Flower Mound, Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fun servers and good food”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Went there with a few friends (5 of us). We sat right on the front patio. The waiters were fun, entertaining and gave us great recommendations. Food was great and so were the drinks and dessert. The servers were playing jokes on us (in good fun) to keep us entertained. I would recommend this for a group who is looking to start off the evening with good food and laughs!

• Visited December 2013
HotelCielo, Owner at Carboncitos, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Thank you Arun for taking the time to write your review

We really appreciate the kind words, we are delighted that you enjoyed your selves & had a great dining experience

Arun, we know there are many restaurants in Playa del Carmen, so thank you for choosing Carboncitos & we look forward to seeing you when you return to the beautiful Mayan Riviera
washington
“Very Flavorable”
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

Best fajitas we had in town. Waiters were friendly and attentive. Not to mention one waiter was able to balance 4 drinks at once on his head. One negative-they do not take credit cards. They will take one if you do not have cash, but they run it through the hotel next door and charge a service fee.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank nittanycat
HotelCielo, Owner at Carboncitos, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Thank you Nittanycat for taking the time to write your review

We really appreciate the kind words, we are delighted that you enjoyed your self & had a great dining experience.

Yes, this is correct we do not take credit cards, we apologize about this but it is for good reasons....the banks here are nuts and with a business acct you can wind up there for hours.

By Mexican law we have 2 company names, our corp.name Sweat & Tears & our fantasy name, Carboncitos......Why....I have no Idea but here is where there is a lot of confusion , when clients get a bill from Sweat & Tears, they refuse the charge for they do not remember visiting such a place & for us to fight it ...yes many hours & days on end, most of the time it just goes uncollected.

In addition there is a large amount of fraud with American cards here in Playa, and once again its a useless fight with the bank.....and this is just the tip of the Iceberg, It once took me 4&1/2 hours to change a PIN # & not to mention that online banking closes at 7: pm....it like its a bad joke....and the list goes on & on, honestsly, its the craziest things I have ever seen

So I hope you understand why we try to avoid the bank as much as we can

The fee that you mention is not a fee as it is a Tax , all hotels pay the regualr tax of 16% & an additional 3% hospitality tax so this is why they charge extra

But where we are really concerned is that you really enjoyed you selves and this is what really matters.

Nittanycat, we know there are many restaurants in Playa del Carmen, so thank you for choosing Carboncitos & we look forward to seeing you when you return to the beautiful Mayan Riviera
Arlington, Texas
“Fantastic food--poor Service”
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I guess it was to late in the day and everyone was tired. Service was super poor. We have been here before on another trip but felt it had changed since it's simple beginnings.

• Visited July 2014
HotelCielo, Owner at Carboncitos, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Hi Jlhuntman, my name is steven, I am one of the owners here at Carboncitos & I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Although it is not a review we like, we try to learn from each & every one......it only helps us improve

First I would like to apologies about your experience & I am concerned about your comment about our service......this is unacceptable, so your input would be helpful

If you could please explain to me what happened & why you felt the service was poor, the information you can provide me is very important so I can correct this situation.

Do you remember who your server was, it would be very helpful when addressing this at our next meeting and I wouldnt want everyone to pay for one persons actions.

We have owned & operated Carboncitos for 10 years and we have not forgotten where we came from, we are one of the only restaurants in the tourist zone with a large local client base at 38%....this in it self says a lot, we were also voted top 5 mexican restaurant by locals, I am not allowed to send links through TA but you can search you tube ,Top 5 Mexican Restaurants in Playa del Carmen.

I am quite surprised to have a review about our service, because years back & I will be the first to admit........it was terrible, but we now actually have many review praising our service, so I was a little taken back to see this, especially when our staff knows how important great customer service is & I am very adamant about this.

In addition I personally read & respond to every review & rarely have comments about this, it is so uncommon, you can see it in our reviews & if it were a problem there would be many more reviews.

We at Carboncitos always do our best to provide a great meal at fair prices, and our only goal is for our guests to leave full & happy.

Once again, my apologies for not meeting your expectations & thank you for choosing Carboncitos

Sincerely, Steven Krisztin
Montoursville, PA
“This was one of our last meals there and we loved it!”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We have eaten and drank here many times before. We can't get enough of this place. We saved this meal for our last day and couldn't have been happier.

We started off with margaritas of course, then moved to a shared appetizer of queso fundito, then split a chili relleno. If I died right now, I would die totally satisfied!

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank pamski6
HotelCielo, Owner at Carboncitos, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Thank you Pam for taking the time to write your review

It really means a lot to us when guests like your selves return, it lets us know that we are definitely headed in the right direction & thank you for noticing but please dont die....we want you to come back & enjoy Carboncitos some more !!!! LOL

Pam, we know there are many restaurants in Playa del Carmen, so thank you for choosing Carboncitos & we look forward to seeing you when you return to the beautiful Mayan Riviera