“Lively place but probably better places to go for the money”
Review of Ajua Maya - CLOSED

Ajua Maya
Price range: US$7 - US$50
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Child-friendly, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Fine dining in a casual sophisticated atmosphere with live Latin jazz and salsa every night. Specializing in Flambes at your table, Lobster, Steaks, authentic Mayan and Mexican cuisines, Mestizo recipes and, of course, our fabulous staff and excellent service. Perfect for a romantic dinner or a group event, wedding receptions or rehearsal dinners.
Boston
“Lively place but probably better places to go for the money”
Reviewed 23 April 2013

A lot of seafood and steak on the menu with a Mayan flair. I would not call this a mexican restaurant if you are looking for tacos and enchiladas. The waiters carry drinks on their heads and the service is wonderful. Fresh tossed caesar salad made right in front of you. Food cooked at your table was enjoyable to watch. Fun atmosphere. The food was decent. Not terribly expensive but wouldn't say it was a value. However, the kids quesadilla was terrible. I tried it and told my child not to eat it. Later that night my tummy had rumblings. Not sure if it was the eggs in the caesar or the ice in the drink but it was the only time in my trip that the food did not agree with me. So many hip and hot restaurants downtown that I wish we would have researched a bit more.

1 Thank NikShim

Rapid City, South Dakota
“Excellent experience”
Reviewed 22 April 2013

We helped to host our daughter's wedding reception at the Ajua Maya. We were so pleased and everything was great. Brenda and her staff were easy to work with in planning the party. Everything was set up beautifully and they even incorporated some decorations we had brought down. The food and service were both excellent. The staff made it a very fun and enjoyable experience. Thanks to Brenda, Jorge and all the staff who helped us make an important day even more memorable.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
“I loved the old Ajua.”
Reviewed 16 April 2013

We have been to Playa del Carmen 8 times in 13 years. We love this destination. We first came upon Ajua by accident, and became fan favorites. each year we would come back and bring new friends along to experience the wonderful, fun staff and the quaintness of the resaurant. It was rustic and so very mexican. The waiters were so much fun. They would bring your drinks to you on their heads and pretend to drop them in your lap. They even had a pillow sort of thing that they would place on your shoulders.. It was a funny stuffed mexican figure that brought much laughter and a perfect picture moment. The food was always good and reasonable. We always ordered the lobster and never disappointed. We loved this place. I have many scrapbooks with our visits to Ajua.

This year we took a cab to the old location only to find that it is closed and now located on 5th Avenida and Via 38. Way up North from the previous location! We decided to walk the distance and had to ask several times how much longer. It gave us an oppuritunity see how much Play del Carmen has grown since our last visit. I saw lots of shops with glass doors and windows. Much has changed from the quaint fun town to more upscale shops along with several new American shops and fast food joints. Sad. We finally arrive to Ajua and find that it is like the new stores along 5th Avenida. Glass doors with a few tables outside. It was much smaller that the last location. I noticed the heavy leather menu's and said Oh Oh. Big changes. This place has become pretentious We noticed that the prices have increased considerably from our last visit. The waiters were attentive but subdued. We ordered the ceaser salad made tableside and it was such a long presentation that I got bored. The salad was just OK. We ordered the 10oz lobster tail and it was on the dry side. We spent 2,155 pesos for four and felt so disappointed. I dont like to write bad reviews as I try to see the positive in all, but this was a hit that hurt. We went back to Play del Carmen and went to another fan favorite restaurant and enjoyed it much better than Ajua.

1 Thank EdenPraireMom
St. Helena, California
“Expensive but good”
Reviewed 14 April 2013

We ate there one fine evening and had great service except we were behind a couple of large parties so the service was off a lot. They brought the salad with the mains and we sent it back. No problems with it being taken off the bill and they comped some after dinner drinks as a token of thier regrets. Overall great food and very nice wait staff. The owners came by and we super nice. Tableside service is fun.

San Luis Obispo
“Ajua, Ajua”
Reviewed 13 April 2013

I celebrated my 75th birthday dinner here and it was a treat. The menu satisfied everyone's palette. The waiters are the entertainment. They bring you your drinks stacked on their heads. They laugh and tease and make dining a pleasant experience. Courses are prepared tableside which is always fun. I would suggest that you stick to the Mayan dishes as these were definitely the winners at our table. The soup was exquisite. One good thing was that they served the children first which we appreciated.

1 Thank stephany38