“Best Steaks in PDC!”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours
Houston, Texas, United States
“Best Steaks in PDC!”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

After reading good reviews, we decided to have dinner at HC de Monterrey. This is an open air restaurant like most of the restaurants in Playa del Carmen. We ordered steaks that were extremely tender and flavorful! The margaritas were the best we have had, which they use fresh squeezed lime. The service was outstanding and the price was very inexpensive. It was so good that we went back again. We will definitely eat here again the next time we are in PDC.

• Visited May 2014

Poncha Springs, CO
“Nice first meal in Mexico”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We had arrived in Cancun in the afternoon and stopped at Playa del Carmen on our way to Akumal to food shop and have some dinner. HC de Monterey was right across the street from the Mega supermarket so we thought we'd give it a try. We weren't disappointed. The service was fast and the food was very tasty. This is primarily a grilled steak place, so if you're vegetarian (as are my daughter and son-in-law) be prepared for a meal of guacamole, chips and cheese fondue. And, speaking of guacamole, it was excellent - better than the "famous" guacamole that we'd read about in Akumal. It was fresh, with a slightly chunky texture (a personal preference), plenty of tomatoes, onions, and just the right amount of cilantro. One order is probably sufficient for two people. My wife ordered the special flank steak which came with generous portions of grilled onions and habanero peppers that were't too, too hot. I had the equivalent of street t

• Visited April 2014
Grayling, Michigan
“Awesome Food & Friendly Service”
Reviewed 5 April 2014

Awesome meal, cheap, steak melts in your mouth! Server and cook were awesome! Went twice while we were there it was so excellent the first time.

• Visited March 2014
Los Angeles, California
“Great Mexican Steak Restaurant”
Reviewed 15 February 2014

The price was right no matter what you ordered plus they take credit cards. I tried something different each night. Once I found this place I didn't eat dinner anywhere else. From what I could understand the place where they get the meat also makes the marinade. Unfortunately you can't purchase the marinade anywhere. You can order a package meal that comes with the steak, potato, grilled jalapeno, 1/2 avocado, sour cream, probably 20 tortillas and either beer or soda. The first time I ate dinner here I thought to myself that it wasn't as much food as I had thought it would be. Don't be fooled. I never once finished everything on my plate. I did force myself to eat their flan just to try it. It was really good. After the 1st time I didn't have room for desert and didn't want to be so full that I couldn't walk back to my hotel. The servers were really nice. One spoke English well. I tried not to speak English at all but most nights I forgot my dictionary and we had to get creative in our conversations since it has been over 25 years that I've spoken Spanish. If I ever go back to PDC I'm definitely going to be having dinner each night at HC de Monterey.

Visited February 2014
Plainview, New York
“Very dissapointed”
Reviewed 11 February 2014

We have been going here for years when we are in Playa del Carmen. Last night we were there and my husband had the arracherra steak which he enjoyed. I had the New York steak, medium rare. The first time it was too rare so they took it back. I thought they would put it back on the grill but they finally brought me another which was actually cold to the touch. My husband had finished his dinner by then and I couldn't eat any part of the steak. They took half of the steak price off the check. They were speaking to us in Spanish but we speak English, not their fault. I would not go there again.

• Visited February 2014