“Fantastic Seafood - Don't Miss It.”
Review of El Gusto Jarocho

El Gusto Jarocho
Ranked #393 of 1,258 Restaurants in Playa del Carmen
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Waitstaff
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Waitstaff
Ottawa, Canada
“Fantastic Seafood - Don't Miss It.”
Reviewed 10 February 2013

Call2 and Ave 30. No trip to Playa del Carmen should be considered without a stop at this unassuming , quaint restaurant. It’s 5 blocks west of Ave 5 but well worth the short walk. My brother and I made two visits for a total of 4 dinners. The seafood spaghetti comes with a mildly spiced sauce and is thick with shrimps. It is a meal in itself and light eaters will have difficulty eating it all. The paella (photo attached) was simply amazing and more than even I could eat. These delacies will take 10-15 minutes to prepare but they are well worth the wait and the attentive staff will keep you supplied with tortilla chips and spicy salsa while you wait. If you are a seafood lover, you have to make this a part of your next trip.

• Visited February 2013

Mexico City, Mexico
“Great "local" place!!”
Reviewed 10 February 2012

This a very good restaurant, the food and service are great. I've always liked to eat seafood where the locals eat. Shrimp Tacos are something to die for!! Drinks are extremely cheap! You can have a great full meal for not more than $10 USD.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good food here!”
Reviewed 8 January 2012

Went here just randomly, without tripadvisor or other ppls reco. But was more the great!
We couldn't speak spanish and the staff was very friendly to make us understand what we were ordering by bringing ingredients from the kitchen!! Just to explain for us:)
The food came out great! The fish was very fresh.. N the veracrus style sauce the staff reco for us was real nice!!! It was like garlic butter;) yum! The whole fish was enough for 2 of us to share. N only 160 peso.
The drinks were great too:) thick pimacolada n slurry margherita! I think i m going to visit here one more time before leaving playa del carmen!

Vancouver
“Best Meal in Mexico”
Reviewed 25 April 2011

A group of us just came back from a week long trip to Playa Del Carmen area and haven't been able to stop talking about this restaurant. We were looking for local restaurant without any tourists and we found it here!

We walked quite a a few blocks away from the main strip to find this place. There is no AC or anything fancy. Here, you'll find great service, awesome prices and amazing food.

We ordered a lot of different dishes to share and here is what I thought of each of them.

Nachos - Don't get them. It just tasted like a bunch of kraft singles on top of tortilla chips and smothered with refried beans. I saw them just put it in the microwave to heat up.

Whole Snapper (Mexican style) - Amazing! This was my favorite dish and it was only $12! Yes, $12 USD. The outside of the fish with skin was crispy and the inside meat was soft, juicy and fresh. There was this tomato sauce on top that just tied everything together. Very well done!

Octopus Cirveche - So delicious and fresh. It really wetted our appetites and we almost ordered another one.

Stuff Crab - Crab meat was delicious and it was stuffed with vegetables and cheese. Very tasty and a lot of my friends liked this dish, but I found it too sour.

Quesidillas - The chicken was moist and delcious. Can't go wrong.

I really loved this restaurant and would go back again when I visit the area. If you're looking for something authentic and local, go to El Gusto Jarocho. We ended up paying only $15 per person. (6 of us and we had 4 beers as well)

• Visited April 2011