“Best seafood in Playa Del carmen. A hidden gem”

Cockteleria Manigua
Ranked #507 of 1,279 Restaurants in Playa del Carmen
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Best seafood in Playa Del carmen. A hidden gem”
Reviewed 10 September 2012

We liked everything we had. the fish stufffed pineapple dish (that I cant pronounce) Shrimp tacos, Ceviche Manigua. Everything was amazing. Its toward the end of 5th ave on 40th. But well worth it.

Visited September 2012
2 Thank Rudoinfo

Fort Worth, Texas
“Not a fan”
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Sought out this out of the way cocteleria because of the reviews. We were the only table on a Friday night which was scary. The service was very good and the staff and owner very helpful with the menu but the food was covered in very heavy sauces masking what was otherwise probably good seafood. The coconut shirimp was coated in a soggy and VERY sweet batter and served with an even sweeter mango salsa.

• Visited July 2012
Austin, Texas
“Best Ceviche in Town!”
Reviewed 9 June 2012

This is by far the best ceviche I've had in a long while, and very affordable. Super fresh and perfectly seasoned. I'll keep going back whenever I visit.

• Visited June 2012
Dallas, Texas
“Tourist don't know.....”
Reviewed 16 April 2012

This restaurant was recommended by a local, to get away from 5th. It was a great surprise. I had the daily filet of fish topped with octopus, shrimp, calamari with a cream and mushroom sauce. My sister ordered shrimp with bacon and cheese. Each shrimp was individually wrapped in CRISP bacon -gorgeous and delicious. My husband ordered the pineapple baked with fish, octopus, shrimp, and cheese. My dish was rich and delicious.

A table next to us ordered the octopus bowl and whole fried fish for two and I was envious. Next time, I will go back twice!!!

The owner came to our table and showed us a picture book of his menu items so we could make the right selection.

Each dish came with bread, salad, shrimp broth,

The owner made the whole experience for us - he made us feel as if we were eating at his home. Please go and support this local business.

• Visited April 2012
Wisconsin
“Fresh and friendly, open late”
Reviewed 15 April 2012

We love eating seafood in Playa, and have learned that the best seafood and the best prices are not to be found on 5a. avenue. But tourists face the dilemma of Mexican tradition ; typical seafood restaurants, or cockteleias, close early, 6 PM or even earlier. We were headed for a different (closed) cockteleria one night when we discovered Cockteleria Manigua. The giant lobster (or was it a shrimp??) outside will certainly catch your eye. Come in, and you will be welcomed. Our server was so friendly, and described himself as the son of a son of a fisherman from Xlapak, a fishing village at the southernmost tip of Quintana Roo. He directed us to watch the power point screens on the wall showing pictures of their specialties--great for newbies.
I was excited to see Cazon on the menu, which is a shark cake typical to Yucatecan cuisine. Think of a crab cake on steroids! It was delicious, but I could not come close to finish it. Plus, I had a "small" mixed seafood cocktail (see picture). My husband enjoyed his shrimp tacos; the shrimp were immense, and so fresh and sweet they popped when bitten. The back of the restuarant is a mesmerizing blue tile fountain, this is a place a bit farther from the bustle of the tourist zone but it's a lovely walk, and it's worth it.

• Visited March 2012