“Great Family Vacation!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Houston, Texas
“Great Family Vacation!”
Reviewed 9 April 2012

We had a wonderful stay at Azul Fives. This place is very clean and there are people constantly working on the grounds. Each person on the staff was friendly and welcoming.

The one BR suites are quite big -- bigger than our 2 BR apartment at home! Next time though I would get a 2 BR suite because the pull out couches are quite uncomfortable.

The food is good, not great. We enjoyed the Japanese restaurant so much we went back twice. My son has dairy and egg allergies and upon alerting the waiters/management they were very accomodating to his needs. I liked Sea Olives for lunch -- simple but good. Flavours had a good variey for breakfast. We tried the beach grille for lunch and dinner and I really can't complain. You can't expect the food to be the same as what you are accustomed to. For example -- the sushi and pizza weren't what we were used to but that's what you can expect when travelling somewhere different.

The kids club was so much fun. My 3 yo son loved it and wanted to go back and see his friends.

The beach was nice -- plenty of beach lounge chairs but not too many beach beds. If you want one of those, go early. They have sunscreen and beach toys at the towel hut. we never had any issues getting towels.

All in all very good trip for a small family. Lots of great service and plenty of relaxation time.

3 Thank S A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,744)
  • Polish first
Køge
Reviewed 9 April 2012

As a hotel we did enjoy the place, but unfortunately the staff stole stuff from our room, and the hotel would not do anthing about it - except lied to us. We arrived late one evening to the hotel, and right away a photo was take in the lobby for our doorkey. On this picture you could see the two gold neckless that we had. Next morning - still a little tired after a long travel, we went to the beach, for a short while. When we came back to our flat, the housekeeping have been there, and we could see that our backs have been open, and searhed. In one of the back, we have another back, and from this second back, a gold neckless have we removed. We contacted the frontdesk, and right away three employees did search thourgh all our flat for more than one hour. They did not find the neckless, and even that we could prove the neckless from their own picture from last evening, and that they could see that only one person did access the flat (housekeeping), they would not do anything. "They trusted their staff". Next day one from the "search team" told us that they knew who did it, they could no do anything. Then next day - they suddenly did not knew you did it. But we then get a note in our flat from the housekeeping, telling us that they have found expensive stuff in our room, that we should put in the save. When I forced the frontdesk, to inform me what they did find, ask the housekeeping, and the answer was - shaver and sunglasses. I then asked if they could provide me with a saftybox, where I could put all my stuff form the flat, when I left it - I could not get any anser.
You can have a nice stay on the hotel, but take care of you belongings, and do not trust anyone, because the hotel will not do anything about it - even tell lies.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank Steen H
Coleman, Canada
Reviewed 8 April 2012

Other than a blip during check-in we are here and having a great time! And yes we have holidayed before, in fact all over the world in five star accomodations. Just read a very bad review and I am very confused, but I do understand that experiences can vary. We are currently sitting out on our patio overlooking the winding river/pool that runs through the resort. About 20 feet from us is one of the four or five swim-up bars with the nicest most fun staff manning it we that have encountered. We are in a one-bedroom suite and it is huge, and beautifully furnished with more than anyone I'm sure would ever need on a vacation. We happened to be here this morning enjoying the patio while our maid cleaned our room and she was here working very hard for almost an hour. Our room was spotless following.
The food here is absolutely amazing, we have not had one disappointing meal. We love and appreciate good food, but again I do understand that people do have different 'tastes'. We ate at the Japanese Restaurant last evening and having eaten in gourmet restaurants in Paris, New Orleans, Spain, Germany and many other countries, the meal last night was right up there with many of these. And we have not ever had to wait for a table either, but if we did, wow who cares, we are on vacation!
My husband and I do not drink but our friends do enjoy a cocktail and they thought the bar staff were great and that the drinks were delicious and are having lots of fun trying out all sorts of exotic cocktails.
There is entertainment each evening and is as good as any all-inclusive we have ever been too. We are late nighters and have been walking around the resort until 0100 hours each night and it is well lit with lots of security and I we have felt nothing but safe. And it is so quiet we find ourselves whispering when we are walking around at night so as not to disturb anyone.
Yes there are a lot of families here, and even though we are on an adult trip we have not been bothered by the children here at all.
The weather is great here and I would recommend this resort to any of my friends.

Room Tip: I would definitely ask for a one bedroom facing a pool if we returned. We lucked out and had this a...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank maxine151
Denver, CO
Reviewed 8 April 2012

We stayed at Azul Fives because we thought it would be family friendly luxury. Family friendly, yes. Luxurious, no.
Pros: The pools are nice, the people are friendly (except the front desk), the rooms are big.
Cons: They really don't have it figured out yet. Customer service is horrible. We got a penhouse suite because we planned to have family over to cook, BBQ, etc. When we got to the room, we were surprised to find no supplies in the kitchen. No plates, no silverware, no pots or pans. Nothing. When we talked to the frong desk, they said, "We don't provide that service." So, why would anyone want a room with a kitchen? To me, this is false advertising. We asked to move to a less expensive room, but they said none were available. So, we had no choice but to buy the All Inclusive package - $90 per day for adults and $45 per day for kids. Oh, that brings me to the food. It's not horrible, but it's not gourmet by any stretch of the imagination. Also, the rooms are big, but they are not well-finished (scratchy towels, cheap building materials, etc.).
Overall: There are many nicer places to stay in Playa del Carmen. This place has potential to be nice, but they don't have a clue about customer service. There were always a line of angry people at the front desk.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank jesindenver
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 8 April 2012

A great resort - very manicured grounds, clean, modern and safe! We always felt so taken care of by all of the wonderful staff. They really go out of their way to make your experience perfect - from custom fresh veggie and lemon juices at the smoothie bar (like I said, Rodrigo is the master and so friendly!), to knowing what you want in your fridge, carrying your towels to the beach for you, customizing meals (I have celiac disease), and sweetly remembering your childrens' names. The kids club is simply amazing - so modern, clean and the activites are super cute. The staff really took great care of our sensitive little girls who are 3 and 6. Their energy and beautiful smiles really made us confident in them. The beach does have rocks but my girls still swam like fish in the shallow water every single day. We did bring water shoes but they werent necessary. The rooms were perfect and my girls slept on the hide a bed although it seemed a bit thin. We never had an issue with hot water or anything not working. I would highly reccommend this resort in all areas!

Room Tip: Any room is great - they are all super close to everything.
2 Thank Karen G
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 6 April 2012

We just returned from our weeklong stay at Azul Fives and we really enjoyed our stay.

The entrance -- As other reviews pointed out, the road leading to this sort is not like that of an Iberostar. It is not opulent - it is Mexico. There is some graffiti and trash but that really helped us appreciate what our tourist dollars mean to their economy. A few employees graciously thanked us for visiting Mexico, that really meant a lot to us.

The room -- We booked a one bedroom suite and there was plenty of room for the four or us (2 teenagers, 2 adults). Rosa, the housekeeper, did a great job cleaning and even made adorable origami-type animals out of towels daily. She left extra water bottles when we requested them the first day and continued to leave the extra water bottles the each day. We never had an issue with hot water in the showers or maintenance. Please tip the housekeepers.

The beach -- The beach is beautiful and sandy. The surf is rocky in front of the resort but we just walked to the left as other reviewers suggested and found great places to jump in the waves. We did put towels out each morning before breakfast to reserve chairs but those who didn't were assisted by beach staff who found and carried chairs where ever guests requested. The staff at the towel hut (Eric and crew) were helpful, friendly, and entertaining. They occasionally ran out of water bottles, a slight annoyance for us. There was beach-side entertainment, salsa lessons, Spanish lessons, volleyball, bocce ball, etc. and the staff seemed to have a great time interacting with the guests.

Pools -- We really enjoyed the pools and would take a mid-late afternoon break from the beach and main pool (which was more spirited) to visit the quieter infinity pools that ran between the villas and their three swim up bars. They made fruit smoothies for the kids and we would chat with the amiable Canadians. Ramon and Sergio, two of the bartenders, deserve mention for their easy-going personalities and patience.

Food -- We ate at each restaurant, the Italian restaurant twice. We went to dinner in the 6-7 pm timeframe and never waited, nor experienced slow service. The food was very good -- gourmet? -- that's questionable, but the kitchen was accommodating, even converting a dish that was totally fried to a grilled version instead. I did not like the house wine -- though my husband did not dislike it. The Italian restaurant had the best wine. The breakfast at Flavours is buffet and has a great selection.

Service-- All staff at the hotel greeted us with a friendly "hola" with each passing and they were trained to serve. Check in and check out were smooth, perhaps not efficient by American standards, but not painfully slow. The restaurant staff was very courteous.

Other -- The grounds were immaculately kept. There are siesta-time hammocks in a shady area central to the resort. The tennis court was staffed with a tennis pro during the morning hours. The health club was clean and well equipped. We didnt experience overcrowding issues in the health club. The smoothie bar and spa were adjacent to the health club and you could grab a piece of fruit midday if you wanted to. We did not use the spa. This resort caters to families. We saw many parent-grandparent-children trips but I would never suggest a destination wedding here if children weren't involved. Our rooms were near the kids club and they were having a blast! Book a room on the first floor, poolside if possible. Villas 4,5,6 are closest to the beach though everything is less than a five minute walk. It was a nice sized resort.

Down sides -- no free wifi. The pull out couch in the one bedroom suite was VERY uncomfortable -- I'd book a two bedroom next time. Sheets were a little rough on sun-burned skin. Gift shop is beyond expensive. We underestimated the amount of sunscreen and aloe and ended up paying over $85 US for two bottles of sunscreen and a bottle of aloe Vera gel (don't bother with the spray stuff on the beach -- it's too windy).

Last comment-- tip people! You'll get better service and help them out.

Room Tip: Poolside villa 4,5,6 first floor
12 Thank Rmhoffman60859
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 6 April 2012

I don't get it? Who are the people liking this place? When we were there, the lobby was filled with angry people wanting to leave and get their money back. It starts with the scary road to get there. Graffiti, burnt down buildings. There is horrible security to this place. People can walk right on and off the property. There is a "gate" but you can walk right past it, as we saw people do. It's not far off the road, so anyone can just come right in. Scary! I did not feel safe at all, and I'm not a chicken about travel.

We were given a room on the ground level with a sliding room that was broken. It was 3 inches from closing. It took 3 hours on waiting in the room, calling front desk, people saying it would get fixed, refusing to move us to a room with a working door (kinda hard to say we are picky on that one, a door that closes should be standard!) While waiting, the came by a fumigated outside and our room filled with a cloud of poison. We have 3 small kids with us. Nice!

Finally, after FOUR HOURS and calling our credit company about to refute the charge, they all the sudden had a room for us. This new room was so dirty. My son had black feet after 5 minutes. 2 of the bathroom sinks were broken! clean hands are good, no? There was someone else's poop left in the toilet, that was a nice treat! After all this, we just wanted to go to bed and shower. Oh wait, there is no hot water! Freezing cold water at 1 am, after spending now 7 hours trying to just get into a room that wasn't broken.

We did go eat and the food was cold and gross. I got an omelet and quickly learned the ropes. the lady in front was yelling at them to finish cooking it. They handed me a slimy, half cooked egg.

We woke up and figured we swim and make the best of it...they were passing off our room change to the morning people. We just wanted a room with a sink that worked..maybe hot water too, if that wasn't too much trouble. There were no towels. anywhere. They didn't arrive till noon. We went to the lobby a few times, to deal with the nonsense. There were many other people there with many complaints. I have no clue how this place is open still. People were complaining about no power, no plumbing...it's crazy! It's not cheap either. for $600 a night, you can stay at a 5 star hotel!!

We finally had enough and book another hotel. It took two hours for that process of them trying to put it in writing we were going to get a refund for the $900 we already paid.

Listen to the bad reviews! When something goes wrong, no one knows how to fix it. There are people that did ok, they were lucky! But if you read the bad ones, they are really bad! it's not a safe location, people were just walking on the grounds at 1am. Not great if they give you a room with a door that doesn't actually close. The best part, we walked by that room the next day and the door was still broken with another family in there trying to get it fixed. If you like hotels with broken sinks, poop filled toilets, no hot water, horrible food, no working doors, this place is for you!! We paid $600 for that nightmare of a 24 hours. There are so many other great places. Go there! Read my other reviews, I'm not a big complainer. We travel all the time. Stay away from this place!

Room Tip: Don't pick a room, go somewhere else!
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Mahekal Beach Resort
Mahekal Beach Resort
#27 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
The Royal Haciendas All Suites Resort & Spa
The Royal Haciendas All Suites R...
#49 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Generations Riviera Maya by Karisma
The Royal Playa del Carmen
The Royal Playa del Carmen
#12 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Azul Beach Resort Riviera Maya
Azul Beach Resort Riviera Maya
#5 of 25 in Puerto Morelos

Been to Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen? Share your experiences!