“Nice but won't go back”

Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen
Ranked #58 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 13 April 2012

We had a nice family vacation with our daughter who was 7 months at the time. First off, if you're going to upgrade your room make sure to do it before you get there. We tried but we kept getting the run around so in return we paid double then what we would have if they would have done it before. This was on them and not who we booked through. Which brings me to their customer service. Customer service while we were there was fantastic but before and after the worst we've ever had. It's a shame too because we just booked our next vacation and would have went back if it weren't for that. Maybe next year if they do ever make it up to us.
Anyway, we got there and of course went through the upgrade which since we didn't have it scheduled already we had to wait past check in time which is 3 and our daughter was already grouchy so that made for a loooong day. Once we got to our room they had everything ready for us including all of our daughters stuff which was really nice. We ordered room service which did take an hour but it was good. The Asian restaurant took 3 hours and we ended up having to leave before we were able to eat our meal. The Italian was really good, we ate there 2 times. I'm not sure why people are complaining about getting drinks, there were bars situated throughout the resort. One BIG disappointment of the resort was that there aren't any ocean view or ocean front rooms. This resort is not for anyone that has a physical handicap as there is a lot of walking to and from places but we didn't mind that so much. All of the workers were great and worked very hard. We gave the guys pops who were working with the landscaping a lot. Oh, the bug fumigation is crazy! It sounds like a big leaf blower and the smoke raises all the way to the top of the buildings. We made sure that when we heard it we were inside or one time we had to start running with our daughter in the stroller the opposite way. Yes, I'm sure that was funny to see and I'm sure some people got a kick out of it but I wasn't about to let my daughter breath that crap in. I will say that we didn't have any bugs outside too bad, inside we only had a couple. I love the concept of the Azuls being family friendly but they just need a few things to work on. This was our 4th resort that we've been to in Mexico and 7th all inclusive and like I said before we would have returned if it weren't for the customer service before and after. That says a lot about a company.

Room Tip: We had a bottom suite by the pool, closer to the ocean side which was very nice. I would not have l...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 13 April 2012

We were at the resort from April 9 to 14th. We were in a 1 bedroom suite. The suite was very clean with modern decor....the jacuzzi tub was a special treat that was used daily :) I must say this was the best resort we ever stayed at.........and we travel two to three times a year! The food was great and the service was exceptional. All the staff were very friendly and made you feel very welcomed. I would say this a family resort not a party place (although we left our kiddies at home this time!!). All in all, I rate this resort a five star and will most definitely return hopefully in the near future.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Patricia S
Reviewed 9 April 2012

We stayed at Azul Fives from March 20-30 with our two children ages 13 and 5. We were unsure of what to expect because of the mixed reviews on TripAdvisor. This is a fairly quiet, family-oriented resort. We didn’t see spring breakers. There were a few number of well-behaved teenagers . We have been to large resorts (Barcelo Maya Palace) with lots going on and thought we would miss the activity. We did occasionally but there was also lots to do at Azul Fives and it was all within a few minutes walk. Make the most of this resort. It has lots to offer.

While our room was not a 4.5 star, the service and the resort are very good. We believe in tipping if service is good and it also assures good service (but not necessary for service). The beach waitresses are walking in the sand and heat all day long, a buck a round is much earned and appreciated. Staff were friendly, helpful to everyone.

Mystery Deal
We booked through Delta/MLT vacations mystery deal. Don’t ever book one of these – they are not a deal! You can book a vacation for less than what we were charged.

Rooms
There are basically only two room types—deluxe and one-bedroom suites. When you enter your room, you first enter a small ‘foyer’ which has another two other doors – one goes to a one-bedroom suite, the other door opens to a deluxe suite. If you book a two-bedroom suite you get to use both the one-bedroom and deluxe suites. If you book a three bedroom you get both doors plus another deluxe suite in a different foyer. Deluxe rooms do not have a bathtub – shower only, a small table with two chairs as well as two wicker chairs and table on the balcony/patio. We tried to upgrade but were told it was totally booked. Not sure about that. More hooks/towel bars would encourage reuse of towels. As well, a bath mat in the shower would help provide traction on the slippery tile floors. Slippers would also be a nice addition and something we have received at other resorts. Bath amenities are in various sized containers – many are small travel size. It would be worthwhile to put in shampoo/soap dispensers in the shower and by the sinks. Rosa did a great job with housekeeping. Our room was made up daily with a different towel animal each day – monkey, chick, swan, bunny, dog….fun to come back to the room at the end of the day to see what creation we would find. The mini bar was restocked daily (except for when we arrived and a call to the front desk resulted in a prompt stocking) and we were always left with ample water. Room was ready each day when we returned from the beach. As others have said, lighting is poor in bathroom area. There is a makeup mirror—maybe they could add a lighted makeup mirror in its place or a small lamp? Only one night table between the beds and it was a fairly plain room. Beds were the most comfortable we have slept on in Mexico so far☺

Beach/pool
Beach chairs were hit and miss on each day but beach staff were able to assist in finding space and umbrellas. I never saw anyone not get a chair or umbrella. We were able to get towels every day except the day it rained and many towels got wet. It wasn’t really a problem as we had a couple of dry ones and the other two dried out when the sun came out. It seemed some folks abused the towels by using more than what they needed. There were sand toys, magazines, books, sunscreen, water, various balls at the towel hut by the infinity pool. Staff at the towel hut were excellente – Eric!

Snorkelling was okay along the reef in front of the hotel and southward. Most of the fish are smaller and we did see a small sand ray and a couple of larger angel fish. The fish like to hang out in the cracks and in the deeper holes along the reef. There are lots of sea urchins along the south water boundary (first ball on rope). We read reviews about no kayaks but they do have them...go to the water sports shack on the beach and ask for them. They have about four single kayaks and a couple of boogie boards. They ask you to boogie board in front of the property but it's kind of rocky. Walk up the beach to the left a few hundred yards where it is all sandy and waves are better for boogie boarding. We took blow up tubes with us and loved floating in the waves beyond the rocks.

There is ping pong, giant chess, giant checkers, shuffleboard, tennis. They have archery a few times each week too (adults only). Pottery painting is by the infinity pool. Great yoga and water aerobics. Parasailing can be booked at the beach hut.

All staff were friendly and very helpful. So many greeted us and remembered where we liked to sit or what we liked to drink. Elizabeth and Diana were awesome at the beach.

Restaurants
We stayed in building six and didn’t find the walking a problem especially if you have been to big resort previously. We enjoy walking, especially at an all inclusive – it won’t hurt you! Food was very good overall. We ate breakfast two mornings at Flavours. It was quite busy but service was fine and we found ample good food to eat. Selection is less than other resorts but it is fresh and good quality. None of us felt ill at all on this trip. Other mornings we ate at the beach grill – loved being in the fresh morning air. Gabriel and Paula would cook eggs however you wanted. Staff were great. It was much less busy for breakfast. There was everything we wanted for breakfast there. We ate lunch mainly at the beach grill – sometimes it was busy, other times not – always got what we wanted to eat. We ate at one of the pool side grills for lunch one day – really nice and great food, definitely ‘gourmet inclusive’. We had no trouble getting into the a la cartes. We made reservations for Arezzo and were able to get the times we wanted. Dinner was excellent at all the a la cartes. Loved the seafood lasagne and cannelloni at Arezzo, yummy greek salad and apple dessert at Sea Olive, sushi chicken curry at Tsuki. All restaurants have kids’ menus. Service varied during the meal. When it was busy, it seemed the staff were somewhat disorganized or overwhelmed. Watched a table being cleared and reset and it took forever – maybe they need another bus person or a better system for resetting tables.

We did not order room service – four of us in a deluxe room with only two chairs and a small table, it just didn’t make sense.

Kids’ club
Excellent. Lots for kids of all ages – so clean and well organized. Great activities and staff- thanks Janet!

We saw lots of wildlife here too--monkeys, lizards, geckos, snakes, raccoons and a scorpion! Monkeys like to stop by the zero entry at the pool around 3:30/4 in the afternoon and can be seen by Flavours in the morning.

Would we return? I think so, but in a one or two bedroom suite—deluxe is small for 4 people for 10 days.

10  Thank Kimberly007
Reviewed 9 April 2012

We had a wonderful stay at Azul Fives. This place is very clean and there are people constantly working on the grounds. Each person on the staff was friendly and welcoming.

The one BR suites are quite big -- bigger than our 2 BR apartment at home! Next time though I would get a 2 BR suite because the pull out couches are quite uncomfortable.

The food is good, not great. We enjoyed the Japanese restaurant so much we went back twice. My son has dairy and egg allergies and upon alerting the waiters/management they were very accomodating to his needs. I liked Sea Olives for lunch -- simple but good. Flavours had a good variey for breakfast. We tried the beach grille for lunch and dinner and I really can't complain. You can't expect the food to be the same as what you are accustomed to. For example -- the sushi and pizza weren't what we were used to but that's what you can expect when travelling somewhere different.

The kids club was so much fun. My 3 yo son loved it and wanted to go back and see his friends.

The beach was nice -- plenty of beach lounge chairs but not too many beach beds. If you want one of those, go early. They have sunscreen and beach toys at the towel hut. we never had any issues getting towels.

All in all very good trip for a small family. Lots of great service and plenty of relaxation time.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank S A
Reviewed 9 April 2012

As a hotel we did enjoy the place, but unfortunately the staff stole stuff from our room, and the hotel would not do anthing about it - except lied to us. We arrived late one evening to the hotel, and right away a photo was take in the lobby for our doorkey. On this picture you could see the two gold neckless that we had. Next morning - still a little tired after a long travel, we went to the beach, for a short while. When we came back to our flat, the housekeeping have been there, and we could see that our backs have been open, and searhed. In one of the back, we have another back, and from this second back, a gold neckless have we removed. We contacted the frontdesk, and right away three employees did search thourgh all our flat for more than one hour. They did not find the neckless, and even that we could prove the neckless from their own picture from last evening, and that they could see that only one person did access the flat (housekeeping), they would not do anything. "They trusted their staff". Next day one from the "search team" told us that they knew who did it, they could no do anything. Then next day - they suddenly did not knew you did it. But we then get a note in our flat from the housekeeping, telling us that they have found expensive stuff in our room, that we should put in the save. When I forced the frontdesk, to inform me what they did find, ask the housekeeping, and the answer was - shaver and sunglasses. I then asked if they could provide me with a saftybox, where I could put all my stuff form the flat, when I left it - I could not get any anser.
You can have a nice stay on the hotel, but take care of you belongings, and do not trust anyone, because the hotel will not do anything about it - even tell lies.

6  Thank Steen H
Reviewed 8 April 2012

Other than a blip during check-in we are here and having a great time! And yes we have holidayed before, in fact all over the world in five star accomodations. Just read a very bad review and I am very confused, but I do understand that experiences can vary. We are currently sitting out on our patio overlooking the winding river/pool that runs through the resort. About 20 feet from us is one of the four or five swim-up bars with the nicest most fun staff manning it we that have encountered. We are in a one-bedroom suite and it is huge, and beautifully furnished with more than anyone I'm sure would ever need on a vacation. We happened to be here this morning enjoying the patio while our maid cleaned our room and she was here working very hard for almost an hour. Our room was spotless following.
The food here is absolutely amazing, we have not had one disappointing meal. We love and appreciate good food, but again I do understand that people do have different 'tastes'. We ate at the Japanese Restaurant last evening and having eaten in gourmet restaurants in Paris, New Orleans, Spain, Germany and many other countries, the meal last night was right up there with many of these. And we have not ever had to wait for a table either, but if we did, wow who cares, we are on vacation!
My husband and I do not drink but our friends do enjoy a cocktail and they thought the bar staff were great and that the drinks were delicious and are having lots of fun trying out all sorts of exotic cocktails.
There is entertainment each evening and is as good as any all-inclusive we have ever been too. We are late nighters and have been walking around the resort until 0100 hours each night and it is well lit with lots of security and I we have felt nothing but safe. And it is so quiet we find ourselves whispering when we are walking around at night so as not to disturb anyone.
Yes there are a lot of families here, and even though we are on an adult trip we have not been bothered by the children here at all.
The weather is great here and I would recommend this resort to any of my friends.

Room Tip: I would definitely ask for a one bedroom facing a pool if we returned. We lucked out and had this a...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank maxine151
Reviewed 8 April 2012

We stayed at Azul Fives because we thought it would be family friendly luxury. Family friendly, yes. Luxurious, no.
Pros: The pools are nice, the people are friendly (except the front desk), the rooms are big.
Cons: They really don't have it figured out yet. Customer service is horrible. We got a penhouse suite because we planned to have family over to cook, BBQ, etc. When we got to the room, we were surprised to find no supplies in the kitchen. No plates, no silverware, no pots or pans. Nothing. When we talked to the frong desk, they said, "We don't provide that service." So, why would anyone want a room with a kitchen? To me, this is false advertising. We asked to move to a less expensive room, but they said none were available. So, we had no choice but to buy the All Inclusive package - $90 per day for adults and $45 per day for kids. Oh, that brings me to the food. It's not horrible, but it's not gourmet by any stretch of the imagination. Also, the rooms are big, but they are not well-finished (scratchy towels, cheap building materials, etc.).
Overall: There are many nicer places to stay in Playa del Carmen. This place has potential to be nice, but they don't have a clue about customer service. There were always a line of angry people at the front desk.

4  Thank jesindenver
#3 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
The Royal Playa del Carmen
The Royal Playa del Carmen
#12 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen? Share your experiences!