“A wonderful reunion!!!”

Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen
Ranked #59 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 5 September 2013

I just returned from Azul Fives where I spent 5 amazing days with friends (August 30 through September 4) - I was also at this same resort at the end of January so I will share with you some of the changes that I have noticed. We shared a suite with the additional bedroom - it was clean and modern, very spacious and well maintained. We had 2 days of VERY intense rain. It is the rainy season and this certainly didn't impact on us having a good time. The entertainment crew moved their activities into the Zkye bar during the day (not that we participated in any of the activities). The Fire show on the beach is by far the best of all the entertainment. If I had to complain about something - I would suggest working to improve the evening performances.

We had a small flood in our room during the intense rain - but a quick call to the concierge and someone came to clean it up fairly promptly.

The food is above and beyond what I have ever had at an all-inclusive. Arrezzo (Italian) is by far my favorite restaurant - but I ate at all of them and never had a less than awesome meal. I have noticed that some people complain about the portion sizes - this was not an issue for me. Quite frankly - its' all inclusive - if you want more food - just order it. Oriola (the beach restaurant) has changed its' format since I visited in January - it used to be buffet style, but is now a la carte. The sandwiches and burgers were all delicious and had great presentation. I liked the change to this restaurant. The mural/graffiti wall needs to go - but from what I understand the resort is expanding and this will go after the renovations.

I like that the rooms are separated from the beach/pool bar so that when I go to my room I can relax. I like that I can sit out on the porch/balcony and just enjoy the wildlife and quiet atmosphere. Anytime that I wanted more excitement I would just head to the beach/pool bar. It is a short walk from the rooms to the pool/beach - but after eating excessive amounts of the amazing food - this built in exercise is welcomed.

I don't have children, but this resort does have a great deal of activities and specialized areas for younger travelers or families. They even have a separate, smaller pool for kids in the kids club.

The resort is a time share/condo owner/renters mix. In January I felt pushed to attend a session about ownership - but that was not the case on this trip.

The resort staff are wonderful. Always very cheerful and willing to help with anything you need. They are courteous and meticulous. At Breezes bar (Pool/beach), Susie is amazing! and Israel too! At Lizards bar, Abraham is great! At Zkye bar, Santiago and his partner whose name I can't remember are both entertaining and keep the drinks flowing.

Since January there have been some other improvements to the resort (apart from what I have already mentioned): Zkye bar now has flat screen televisions and plays American sports through the evening (I saw NFL pre-season!!!). They have also built a dock where I believe weddings can take place in the future - they have also completed a "Zky wedding" location above the Zkye bar complete with a gazebo and built in wooden runner aisle for the bride to walk down.

The biggest change from January is the beach improvement. We were not able to swim in the ocean in January due to all the coral in front of the resort. They have brought in sand and built sand bars so that you can now swim directly in front of the resort. This was a huge improvement - we swam in the ocean everyday on this trip - even when it was overcast and drizzling slightly.

Apart from Zkye bar there isn't really much night life at Fives - but we were more than happy to take a quick taxi ride into Playa where there is plenty of bars/clubs/restaurants and shopping. If you are active person you can even walk there on the beach (~45 minutes).

I love this resort and look forward to future adventures returning to Azul Fives!

Room Tip: The penthouse suites have private roof top patios with tubs and loungers, tables for eating outside.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Cathy D
There are newer reviews for Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen

Reviewed 5 September 2013

The hotel is a nice clean hotel, we were met with a cool flannel and a glass of fizz which was nice after such a long journey. We were not happy with the location of our room as it over looked a dirty dusty road, we complained and the staff showed us another room even though they were really busy they moved us to a pool view ( that we didn't pay for), this whole process took less than half an hour.

The restaurants are lovely as long as you book with your concierge in time its fine, the food in all the restaurants is lovely as is the house wine, they push separate menu's and wine lists but as long as you inform them you don't want them they leave it there.

Sea Olive restaurant the service was slow and not the best we found it a pain to eat there and some of this poor service rubs off into the Tsuki restaurant (witch is not a Sushi bar), but still very nice but more a Chinese restaurant.

Flavours restaurant we NEVER had a single problem,this is the main breakfast restaurant and you can go her in the evening without a reservation, we found it great relaxed and very enjoyable.

The Italian restaurant was great as well, again we had no problems except getting the days you wanted with the booking system.

Kids club, we have done many all inclusive holidays Mark Warner / Sun Sail and Sensatori, the children's club here, has just brilliant, there's no need to book up spaces in advance you just turn up and book your children in, and return when you want, our children are both girls aged 10&9 and they loved the place and would ask to go back in, the staff there are great as is the manager.

Overall we loved the place and the staff, I thought was the concierge service this is just pointless, they say its so they get to know you, and your requirements, but in my opinion its just another way to try and sell you a time share towards the end of your holiday, as happened to us. We received a letter under the door saying report to your concierge for a activity pack to enhance our holiday!!!!, this turned out to be a cheap piece of clay tat!!, the main reason is to get you there so they can sell you time share, we declined but they then turned up at the room where we told them again no thanks!!!, if you get the letter re the activity pack don't waste your time.

The staff at the Lizards pool bar were just fab, Johnny, Abraham and Marcus were great fun and looked after you very well in deed, they are a credit to the hotel. The rooms were great and the fridge well stocked up all included with the holiday id we wanted more drinks we just called house keeping and they came and refilled the fridge quickly and efficiently.

2  Thank GarySolihull
Reviewed 4 September 2013

We stayed at the Azul Fives for Labor Day weekend (end of August-early September. We traveled as a party of nine people ages 11-63. We stayed in both the 2 bedroom penthouse suite and 2 bedroom pool walkout suites. This resort is lovely. The grounds are well maintained. The rooms are clean. Service is excellent. The food is good, The fridge is well stocked with pretzels, chocolate candy, water, soda, and beer. There are wild animals running around the resort, which is a nice treat. We saw iguanas and monkeys. One of the monkeys actually grabbed my daughter's hand and took her for a walk while another one gave my brother a "high five". These are wild monkeys (not ones that are trained by hotel staff). We arrived at the end of August and the hotel had low occupancy at this time since kids were back in school. This was very nice since we were able to enjoy the sun beds and lounge chairs on the beach at any time of day. I was surprised at how many sunbeds were available because it is much more than other resorts we've stayed at in Cancun/Riviera Maya. The check-in process was smooth. They offered water and champagne to us, along with cold towels as soon as we arrived. They presented me with the copies of my dinner reservations (which we made prior to arrival). The check out was very easy as well. We highly recommend this hotel for families and groups (not singles). Thanks to the GM Mr Mathieu, Ericka, and Sibylle who helped to make sure our requests were fulfilled prior to our arrival.

Room Tip: For families or groups, opt for the two or three bedroom suites which come with a spacious living ro...
2  Thank houstoncruzr
Reviewed 4 September 2013

I own a restaurant so I can be critical. For an all inclusive place, which I have visited many, this place is amazing. I cannot stress enough how the quality was far above any other all inclusive place.
The evening entertainment was kinda lame, but most people go into town. Rooms were great and so was the spa and staff. I would defiantly go back!!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Beth O
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Just got back from a family holiday from this hotel and had to write how amazing it was. Pulling up to the hotel, it looks nothing but its staff, food, rooms and entertainment make up for it ten fold. Our room was so clean, one of the best we have stayed in. It was so comfortable, clean and quiet . Roberto our cleaner did amazing towel animals everyday which made it exciting to go back to see what he had created every day.

We want to thank Santiago, Alexander, Martin and Eunice at the SKy and Pool Bar, they were so friendly, helpful and went that extra mile even after long hours and that heat. Marcy and Luis on the entertainment team kept us going with fun activities every day and were amazing. I even had tears in my eyes saying goodbye to them.

Food was excellent every day and the waiting staff were always attentive. If I wanted to be picky I would say the teens club was too far away and should be close to be sky bar and restaurants so at least kids could go there, as I was worried in letting my daughter walk up there on her own as she would be walking up through the gardens.

Overall fab hotel, fab staff, it definitely made our holiday. Antonio the first choice rep was great and informative and trips worth a look at are Chichen Itza, Coba, Whale Sharks and XCarat Gutted to be home, we shall def return

Room Tip: Look up the suites, they are amazing, we did not get one but wish we had
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We had a great time at Azul Fives Hotel, the 2 bedroom suite were huge with a roof deck area for sun tanning, bbq grilling, and hot tub. We saw 5 mokeys by villa # 5 on our first day and lots of wild birds. The waiters were great and food was good. Hotel was less than half filled and we had the beach chairs to ourselves. We even asked the chef to cook fried bananas for us even though it was not on the menu. Wished we could spend more days at resort. Only bummer was it rained on us for 2 days.

Room Tip: choose villas # 5 because it is close to restaurants and beach.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Azul Fives goes over and above to make your vacation time a total joy! From the condition of the property, to the quality of food, to the AWESOME staff, you will surely have an enjoyable memory.

I don't understand the portion complaints, because we always had more than enough food, and that left room for ordering appetizers, salad, desserts and lots of beverage. Review give complaints of the wait time for things, but we did not feel that at all. It is definitely, not one of those 10 minute food-to-your-table places, but a nice relaxing dinner moment each and every time. We did make our eating reservations as soon as possible, because they do fill up, but honestly the Sea Olive had an awesome menu, if no reservation was obtained. I LOVED their caesar salad!

We had a 3 bedroom suite. A very nice treat obtained with an Interval exchange! Lovely layout, comfortable bed, nice showers. Always so nicely cleaned every day with the cutest towel buddies always waiting on our bed. Yes, the bathroom lighting is dim, but they do have a magnifying mirror for makeup application. I had opted for using the hotel shampoo for the week, but that could be much better and us traveling ladies sure would suggest to get a different product line for the provided hair products. (Now that is a petty complaint...and surely did not wreck a single moment). I did pop for the offered penthouse rooftop access. We did use it a couple days to sit and lie out to rest in the shade with the balmy breeze. You have to fill the hot tub up there before you use it...just so ya know. Would I do that again...probably not....but it was kinda cool! Great view and we could see the ocean from up there.

The pools are all lovely and the bar staff awesome. Nicely made drinks. I so wish we could remember each and every persons name to give them the well deserved credit for our incredible stay. Thank you Diana, Araceli, Azucena and all the bar tenders. You were all awesome!

The activities crew was over and above in recruiting people to participate and ultimately have a great time. Marci is the ever ready bunny keeping you going and going and going.

Miguel the pool guy is there to take very good care of you with water, towels, setting you up with a cozy chair and a sweet smile. LOVED HIM! LOVED HIM!

We liked our Zky bar for our before dinner pleasures. A great team works they to keep everyone happy. Alexander was always on tap to meet every simple need and only wanting to make us all very EXCELLENT' happy! We could suggest some light snacks/appetizers (not just potato chips) to be offered at this bar.

A special thank you to, Elizabeth & Carlos in concierge for all your help to make our travels successful. You will find lots of concierge help throughout the resort.

We did take a presentation for only 30-45 minutes, since they knew we really were not interested in buying, but willing to listen to their offerings. They were very NO PRESSURE and we so appreciated that!

Also, regarding the complaints of the beach swimming. They had a nice sized area, not rocky...nice and sanding available. It is rocky up and down the beach from that area, but so nice to look at!

Azul Fives is a great place to go for friends, families, couples and more!

Room Tip: We opted to upgrade to the penthouse. It was a nice area, but not something you would use in the hea...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
#12 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#3 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen? Share your experiences!