I just returned from Azul Fives where I spent 5 amazing days with friends (August 30 through September 4) - I was also at this same resort at the end of January so I will share with you some of the changes that I have noticed. We shared a suite with the additional bedroom - it was clean and modern, very spacious and well maintained. We had 2 days of VERY intense rain. It is the rainy season and this certainly didn't impact on us having a good time. The entertainment crew moved their activities into the Zkye bar during the day (not that we participated in any of the activities). The Fire show on the beach is by far the best of all the entertainment. If I had to complain about something - I would suggest working to improve the evening performances.
We had a small flood in our room during the intense rain - but a quick call to the concierge and someone came to clean it up fairly promptly.
The food is above and beyond what I have ever had at an all-inclusive. Arrezzo (Italian) is by far my favorite restaurant - but I ate at all of them and never had a less than awesome meal. I have noticed that some people complain about the portion sizes - this was not an issue for me. Quite frankly - its' all inclusive - if you want more food - just order it. Oriola (the beach restaurant) has changed its' format since I visited in January - it used to be buffet style, but is now a la carte. The sandwiches and burgers were all delicious and had great presentation. I liked the change to this restaurant. The mural/graffiti wall needs to go - but from what I understand the resort is expanding and this will go after the renovations.
I like that the rooms are separated from the beach/pool bar so that when I go to my room I can relax. I like that I can sit out on the porch/balcony and just enjoy the wildlife and quiet atmosphere. Anytime that I wanted more excitement I would just head to the beach/pool bar. It is a short walk from the rooms to the pool/beach - but after eating excessive amounts of the amazing food - this built in exercise is welcomed.
I don't have children, but this resort does have a great deal of activities and specialized areas for younger travelers or families. They even have a separate, smaller pool for kids in the kids club.
The resort is a time share/condo owner/renters mix. In January I felt pushed to attend a session about ownership - but that was not the case on this trip.
The resort staff are wonderful. Always very cheerful and willing to help with anything you need. They are courteous and meticulous. At Breezes bar (Pool/beach), Susie is amazing! and Israel too! At Lizards bar, Abraham is great! At Zkye bar, Santiago and his partner whose name I can't remember are both entertaining and keep the drinks flowing.
Since January there have been some other improvements to the resort (apart from what I have already mentioned): Zkye bar now has flat screen televisions and plays American sports through the evening (I saw NFL pre-season!!!). They have also built a dock where I believe weddings can take place in the future - they have also completed a "Zky wedding" location above the Zkye bar complete with a gazebo and built in wooden runner aisle for the bride to walk down.
The biggest change from January is the beach improvement. We were not able to swim in the ocean in January due to all the coral in front of the resort. They have brought in sand and built sand bars so that you can now swim directly in front of the resort. This was a huge improvement - we swam in the ocean everyday on this trip - even when it was overcast and drizzling slightly.
Apart from Zkye bar there isn't really much night life at Fives - but we were more than happy to take a quick taxi ride into Playa where there is plenty of bars/clubs/restaurants and shopping. If you are active person you can even walk there on the beach (~45 minutes).
I love this resort and look forward to future adventures returning to Azul Fives!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located just 10 minutes from charming Playa del Carmen, Azul Fives Hotel is noted for enormous suites designed for families and friends with up to three bedrooms with rooftop decks. Activities and special experiences foster togetherness for families, couples and groups of friends. The 360-suite hotel offers the renowned Gourmet Inclusive® concept, as well as flexible meal plan options to suit all agendas. Private barbecues highlight family activities, and the Kid’s Club sponsored by Fisher-Price® caters to children. Rooftop Weddings inspire soon-to-be-married couples. The 24-hour room service and full-service concierge ensure memorable vacations. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, TravelUp, LoveHolidays, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L., Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Azul Fives By Karisma Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen Mexico/Riviera Maya