“almost excellent” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #51 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
South Shields, United Kingdom
“almost excellent”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

Travelled with wife and 10yr old for 2 week vacation at Azul Fives through first choice.
Check in : - all went smoothly
Room :- Perfectly adequate . Good shower , hairdryer , safe , tea and coffee making facilities etc . The room attendants were great and always left little surprises like towel animals etc
Resort : - Wonderful!! Great pools , lovely well attended manicured grounds. Monkeys and lizards aplenty . Good beach with no real rock issues.
Food & Drink :- Mostly very good but when it was bad it was awful. Service around the pools was slow and half hearted despite there being many staff on hand.
The breakfasts at flavours were great. The pacific rim and Italian were best for dinner though booking them was hard work.

Concierge services were terrible and restaurant bookings were overly complicated, asking about attractions offsite they were clueless.

other things like the Gin Bar and smoothie bar were great. Cannot comment on the spa as we never used it due again to the overly complicated booking and pricing.

Our last night(a Monday) was a big disappointment as we had planned dinner at flavours. We went for our usual pre dinner cocktail at the Gin bar where we discussed flavours with the staff there(at no time did they say it was shut)Did they even know?
We arrived at flavours to find it was shut and already set up for breakfast. Then off to the Italian where we were told flavours was shut due to a water problem(big lie no.1). The resort was quiet on the Monday due to a mass check out of Americans that day.I have no problem with flavours being closed but we should have been told then we could have made alternative arrangments.
Were refused entry to the Italian as it was Monday(adults only).Another big lie as there were many children already in. Went to pacific rim, they were full?!?! No alternative but sea olive which we did not rate.
I feel that we were not treated well on our last night and should have been told about Flavours being closed. It was def. not a last minute decision!! The staff were very rude to us at all the other food outlets that night too. Left a very sour taste.
We had many other very small issues throughout our stay that added up to too many hassles. Its hard work saving all year for the perfect holiday and when things are not perfect its not nice.
Trips offsite :- Crococun , good fun for a couple or hours.
Xel Ha - Great!! got the ADO from Playa
5th Avenue shopping for trinkets. Was fun
Excursions :- Chichen Itza
Coba & Punta Laguna
Both with Martin Britto at Xcapes, recommended!! they were excellent!

Mexico was great and the 787 Dreamliner made the flight less taxing than it could have been. Would come again but not to Azul Fives.
If you are booked please do not be put off , it is a great resort and good value for money. It just could be so much better with a little more thought by management.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Haryton
KarismaHotelsResorts, Director General at Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen, responded to this review, 24 January 2015
Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences of your stay with us . Your comments will be used constructively however we are very disappointed to hear that you were not wowed by your Karisma experience.

we would like to invite you to contact us at customerservices@karismamexico.com so that we can continue our communication with you

Best regards

mario mathieu

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,649)
  • Polish first
Asheville, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

We spent August 11th through the 16th at Azul Fives and could not have been happier. The resort does not have the huge open air lobby with the big wow factor that some AI resorts have but don't let that first impression fool you. The rooms and grounds are beautiful and clean. The staff was so friendly and helpful and it made our stay a delight. Opt for the all inclusive option if you can as the food is the best we have ever had in an AI. When they say gourmet inclusive it is exactly what it is. We have been to Excellence Punta Cana, and Palladium Jamaica and Riviera Maya and the food was far superior. From the ala cartes to the casual pool bar snack/lunch spots I would have been satisfied to pay for any meal we were served. We loved the size of the resort as golf carts were not needed (they were readily available though). Even though this is a family place the kids were well behaved and unobtrusive and private areas were easy to find. Amazing pools throughout the property and pretty stretch of beach with drink service. Gin bar and Zky bar were awesome and even the pool bars had too shelf such as Chivas Regal, Glenfiddich, and Jameson's. We can't wait to go back. Special thanks to Israel and Araceli at Lizards. Ezequiel, Arturo, and chef Alassandra at Arezzo. Concierges Alberto, Nadia, Bill, and Eduardo at front desk. Entire staff at Gin bar was awesome. Please forgive me for those that took such good care of us that we may have left out. We will be back. Give this resort a try, you won't regret it.

• Stayed August 2014
3 Thank BadMMoJo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

First time traveler to Mexico with my spouse. Although we live in Texas Mexican Border & we hear horrific things, I never once felt alarmed, threatened in any way. Contrary, we felt secure and were in awe to paradise! Azul five was fantastic! Staff was beyond exceptional and always helpful. We are very picky when it comes to our Mexican food and too my surprise it exceeding our expectations! So much variety with our breakfast, lunch & dinner. When I mean variety, I mean even had Gerber food for babies if you needed. I was beyond amazed at how they catered to everyone at every age. Without a doubt would go back and take my young daughters and all my loved ones! This is a place and city you want to share with everyone! It is very family friendly as well as adult friendly too! I would definitely recommend for you to find an all inclusive deal, very well worth it!!
Ronnica S.(Laredo,Tx)

• Stayed August 2014
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

I stayed at this hotel a couple of weeks ago with my family, and it was absolutely amazing. This is a great hotel, brilliant for families. The food is to die for, the location is great and the entertainment is awesome. All of the staff were extremely welcoming and Miguel, Victor and Alex were great and really made our stay amazing, it's clear they love their jobs and had just as much fun as we did. The rooms were clean and very big, and extremely comfortable, and there was also lots of restaurants to choose from. One small problem we had was when my brother had a mild allergic reaction to some food in Flavours, as every night whenever we told the staff he was allergic to nuts, they didn't really take note or tell him which food had nuts in. However this problem was resolved later on in the holiday, so everything carried on great from there. I can honestly say that this was one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in, it was great and I really hope we can come back soon! :)

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank GeorgieBurr
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

Upon arrival I could not help but notice how high-end this place looked. There was a lot of contruction just past the left side of the lobby as they have bigger and greater ideas that are almost finished. The spa is great. They even have a massage therapist outside the restaurants in case you want a massage while you wait to eat.

For me, this is a family gathing paradise. I love the rooftop patio the best. This is indeed my favorite feature of this resort. Our video says it so much better

Room Tip: This is a family gathering resort, in my opinion. Great place to bring all the family. If you do I...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

My girlfriend and I went to Azul Fives in late February 2014. On the 3rd night of our stay, in the middle of the night, my girlfriend was sexually assaulted. I woke up to a man in our bed! We have been trying to deal with this traumatic experience ever since. It has taken us this long to finally post something online. We are only writing this to warn people that they should lock their doors if they are staying on the main floor of any room - our sliding doors were unlocked. The management of Azul Fives believe that this assailant was another guest of the resort. I am not convinced. I believe he is Mexican because when I woke up (in the dark - I could not see him) - he spoke before he ran away. He had a mexican accent. I am only writing this for preventative reasons. I don't want this to happen again. If you are staying on the main floor. Please lock your doors

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
11 Thank Coulter W
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Dear Coulter W

Thank you for your concern. We were extremely troubled by this incident which occurred at our resort.

Although no robbery or assault was reported, the intrusion of privacy and entering of an unidentified guest into your suite remains of utmost concern for Azul Hotels by Karisma, which considers the safety of its guests a number one priority and makes every effort to provide a secure and relaxing vacation environment, including security guards on duty 24-hours a day at each of its private resorts.

Since this incident occurred, Azul Fives Hotel has installed security surveillance cameras.

In six years of operations, we have never had an incident such as this occur at Azul Fives Hotel. We want to assure you that Azul Hotels took immediate action to notify law enforcement, reinforce our systems, and implement additional security measures, including the installation of security cameras.

Once again, we sincerely regret that this incident occurred. Azul Hotels by Karisma is committed to ensuring it never happens again. Please accept our sincerest apologies.

Warmly,
Mario Mathieu
Azul Fives Hotel
Marlboro, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

Having traveled numerous times to Mexico, I have to say this was the most outstanding experience! The staff was too good to be true. Our wonderful concierge Bill helped our children arranged a surprise vow renewal for my husband and me! Gabrielle performed a beautiful ceremony as Eloy took care of our private meal on our roof top terrace. Together with Max and Raphael, Eloy saw that we were served a delicious meal and treated like royalty.
All the staff was remarkably attentive. It was so nice to be remembered by our regular bar tenders, Israel, Manuel and Abraham. They asked how we were enjoying our stay and always said it was "their pleasure" to take care of us. Erika was our waitress at Lizards. It was so nice to walk to the other side of the pool and be able to have lunch without missing the great out doors. Erika was only too happy to take special requests. The other staff at Lizards greeted us with smiles and hellos, even when we just past by.
As far as cleanliness, even my kids, ages 21-13 commented on how Azul is the most pristine and lush resort we have ever visited.
Of course not everything was wonderful...the hamburger was ehh. But if you are going to Mexico for a good hamburger, well you should have ordered the fish tacos!

Room Tip: Ask for a central building so that you are not too far from the lobby and beach.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Toni G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Fairmont Mayakoba
Fairmont Mayakoba
#7 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,473 reviews
The Royal Haciendas All Suites Resort & Spa
The Royal Haciendas All Suites R...
#43 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
Azul Beach Resort Riviera Maya
Azul Beach Resort Riviera Maya
#6 of 26 in Puerto Morelos
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,969 reviews

Been to Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen? Share your experiences!