“Vacation of a Lifetime”

GreenLeadersSilver level
California
“Vacation of a Lifetime”
Reviewed 6 March 2011

We just returned from a wonderful 6 night vacation at Azul Fives. We traveled with our 2 year old and two other couples with toddlers. We have traveled to many all inclusives in the past (Sandels, couples, el cid) and this was by far the best family friendly all inclusive we have ever been to....this was the first Karisma resort we have stayed at. There are some negative reviews on Trip advisor and I have to say, I was a bit nervous the week before we left, but our experience left us wanting to return ASAP.

We stayed in a 1 bedroom suite, which was amazing! I would definitely suggest the upgrade. The room is huge and beautifully appointed with modern furniture. I wasn't bothered at all by the lighting as some other reviewers mentioned. The separate shower and tub were very nice. We had a large deck, but no view to brag about. We spent minimal time in our room, so the lack of a nice view wasn't a bother. Housekeeping did a wonderful job everyday! We used the safe for our valuables, which we always do when traveling, and we had no problems at all. I always felt perfectly safe at the resort. We didn't venture out of the resort, but the other couples we traveled with did go into Playa del Carmen and loved it.

The property is beautiful, just stunning! There is a bit of walking required, but it was nice to get the excersize. The beach is one of the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen....there is coral out in front of the resort, but all you have to do is walk 5 min down the beach to enter the water. Really no big deal! The pools are a bit on the cool side, but really just felt refreshing- definitely didn't keep any of us out of the pool because it was too cold, however, it would be nice if they were a little warmer. The swinging beach beds are awesome! You do have to reserve them, so think ahead when you arrive.

The service is amazing! We met so many nice people that work at this resort and really take pride in making your experience special: From the waiters to the smoothie maker to the beach butlers. Of course there are always exceptions, but by and large we encountered excellent service. Two occasions we waited an excessive amount of time to receive our food at Sea Olive....so we opted to do the buffet for dinner to avoid long wait times with the kids...the fajita station was delicous! The food overall was excellent! We liked Tsuki the best and probably Sea Olive the least. Flavors is great for b-fast and Lizards was handy for snacks. The drinks are so good! If you think the drinks are weak, just ask for a double and that should take care of you just perfect. We also ordered a fair amount of room service and it was tasty and speedy...often arrived much sooner than quoted. The room service waiters were so nice and often times room service would call after it was delivered to make sure everything was right.
The most impressive aspect of this resort is the family friendly amenities. The staff and resort as a whole goes out of thier way to ensure that families enjoy thier vacation. The kids club is so cute and even has toddler size toilets! Tons of fun toys and activities to keep the kids happy. Probably the only disappointment during the whole trip was the lack of access to the "My Gym" facilities. They have this beautiful room with tons of tumbling equipment, but it is locked all day except for one hour in the morning for specific age group classes...we only had access to it once during our stay. It is such a wonderful space, that it is a shame that they don't allow more access to it.

The yoga class was amazing! The teacher was really well trained. ..so fun! I also did the tennis classes every morning- Pedro was great! Night time entertainment was a little on the cheesy side, but the kids liked it. The only downside is that the night shows don't start till 9:30pm, which was too late for our little ones most nights. The gym facilities are perfectly appointed. None of us did any spa treatments, although I really wished I would have! I felt the prices too high, otherwise I would have been ther in a second.

We did bring one dollar bills to tip, but we never felt obligated to do so. Although when we did encounter excellent service (which was often), we rewarded for it and the staff was very appreciative.
All in all, a wonderful trip- go with an open and positive mindset and you will be pleased. We sure were!!!!!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank dramz3

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,718)
  • Polish first
Sarnia
Reviewed 1 March 2011

We chose this resort since we were traveling with our two young adult children and a three bedroom suite was ideal. On the positive side the suite was spacious and comfortable. We liked the idea of having a kitchen but it wasn't very well appointed, lacking essentials such as a corkscrew. When we requested one from room service they said they didn't think they had any and it never showed up. I had to borrow one from the bar staff. The mini bar wasn't stocked unless several complaints were made, by our last day we were running out of water. Even if the mini bar was stocked it only had poor quality beer. The hotel grounds are lovely and we liked the layout of the pools. There was never any difficulty finding chaises by the pool or beach. Our terrace faced directly on a pool so it was equivalent to a swim-up room. Now for the downside. We were told that the resort was at 98% occupancy, and I believe this was a first for this new resort and it showed. Service in the restaurants was often slow. Special requests were usually not met. Breakfast at Flavours ( a buffet) is good but dinner isn't very good. The food at Sea olive and Tsuki is much better but inconsistent and overcooked. Lizards is a good choice for lunch. Only one bar remains open after six pm and it gets very crowded making getting a drink difficult.

Now for the worst part, we had a theft from the room. We left the resort for the day and on our return we found that my son's I pod touch and expensive ear buds had been stolen.
I know he should have put it in the safe but he hadn't left it out in the open meaning someone rifled through his backpack .Security investigated and they determined that the only people who had keyed in and out of the room were housekeeping and mini bar staff but nothing was resolved during our stay. My son has a form of autism and this upset him greatly making the last two days of our stay very miserable.Thank god for... Ivanhoe, a bartender at one of the pool bars who had befriended him, otherwise we would not have been able to get him to leave his room.
Several weddings took place during our stay and there were some loud celebrations into the wee hours of the morning.
We travel fairly frequently and are pretty easy going but this resort did not live up to the standards we have grown to expect.

• Stayed February 2011
1 Thank cabbyschnabby
KarismaHotelsResorts, Guest Relations Manager at Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen, responded to this review, 7 March 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

On behalf of the entire management staff at Azul Fives Hotel, we wish to pass on our sincerest apologies for what appears to have been a disappointing stay and is certainly not in line with our normal services and quality standards.

I'd like you to know that we take all feedback very seriously and we urge you to contact us immediately at customerservices@karismamexico.com so that we may pull up your information and resolve this matter as soon as possible, as we are unable to gather info based on your Trip Advisor membership.

Thank you again for your honest feedback and we look forward to speaking with you and resolving this matter at your earliest convenience.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 1 March 2011

Our stay at the Azul Fives resort was a very unpleasant experience with a few good moments.

The management staff at the resort was extremely unhelpful. On arriving at our room we found the safe was already locked and when we inquired about having it unlocked the management was slow to respond until the next day, by which point the cleaning staff had already entered the room and stolen an iPhone we couldn't lock in the safe. Complaints to management did nothing and we were not reimbursed for it, although they did finally fix the safe. Another guest at the resort complained of a similar thing where his laptop (which was too large to fit inside the small safe) was also stolen from his room while he was away on a day trip. Both the iPhone and laptop had been concealed as well, requiring them to look through luggage in order to find them.

Some more minor management shortfalls were that the bar fridge which contains drinks and is supposed to be stocked daily was never once refilled during our stay, despite numerous complaints. As they advise you not to drink the water from the taps, running out of bottled water in the bar fridge became quite annoying. Also the lawn sprinklers are positioned badly and actually spray directly onto the chairs next to the pool which can be bad if you're sitting in them but worse if you leave a book or something on the chair. Finally in order to get service at any restaurant/bar/etc you're required to show your room key so if you want a drink at a swim up bar and don't have a bathing suit with pockets you'll be forced to carry the card in your hand all day long.

The food at the resort was also sub-par. The Tsuki restaurant had some pretty good food but the buffet at Flavors and the Sea Olive restaurant were both disappointing. All of the restaurants also have an extremely small selection, usually only 3-4 main courses.

One exception to the poor food was actually the swim up bar/grill, Lizard. The food it serves is very basic (nachos, sandwiches, burgers, etc) but the service is fast and the food actually arrives hot.

The bars themselves are all very good with friendly staff and very fast service (Zky bar being the exception, service there is extremely slow)

The beach is a nice place to lie down and relax but don't expect to swim much in the ocean as it has very rough water as well as large rocks hidden under the surface all along it.

The pools make up somewhat for this as there are a lot of them. However they aren't very deep and are quite narrow in places making swimming quite difficult if there are other people sharing it.

As this resort does allow children we also found during our stay that the vast majority of children in the resort were very young (under 5 years old) and during the day it would be extremely annoying with shrieking and crying children everywhere. I'd be fine with some but when there are 20-30 children in the pool directly outside your room every day it can become a bit much. (The pools are designed with a large round area at the end that's only about a foot deep, making them congregating points for children which I'm sure is nice if you're a parent but if you're unlucky enough to get a room near one it can be bad.)

On the opposite end of the noise problem was a party one night that had very loud music/singing/etc until about 3am. We had to wake up early the next morning to go to Xel-ha so the loss of sleep partially ruined that trip the next day. (Of course, management also did nothing to quiet it down.)

In conclusion the resort has a lot of faults that outweigh the few good things about it. There are much better choices, don't waste your time or money on something like this.

(Also even if you're at the resort on the all-inclusive package you have to pay $10/hour for internet access. If you go and wish to bypass the charges all you have to do is use their computers, reboot them and keep tapping the F8 key until a prompt comes up asking if you want to start in safe mode. Select the option to start in Safe Mode with Networking and you'll have full access to the internet without having to pay over the top prices for something that should be included anyway.)

2 Thank shalavacation
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 28 February 2011

We stayed at Azul Fives mid February and were very impressed by our whole vacation. We stayed there with our 4 children and really couldn't have asked for a friendlier place to be.
Our room was a 1500 square foot suite, perfect for a family of our size. We had 1 king size bed in our side of the suite with a roof top hot tub, bed, couch and lots of sitting room. The other side of our suite held 2 queen size beds for our children to sleep on as well as their own washroom.
The beach was really nice but you definitely notice the coral as you start navigating the ocean. However, that is easily remidied by walking down the beach for 5 minutes where you find a smooth enterance.
The pools weren't crowded, enough chairs for everyone. The water temp was perfect after laying in the sun. The swim up bars were well located and always ready with a drink for you.
The restaurants (have 4 but we went to 3) had a great selection of good food and using the all inclusive option, we ate until our hearts content. The coffee from Columbia was literally second to none! Better than Starbucks or Tim Hortons, Van Houtes or any other that I've tried.
The service... wow! We loved our waiters and hostesses, they were so friendly and eager to help my children learn spanish when asked. They truly went above and beyond.
We are already looking forward to our next trip to Azul Fives!!

3 Thank Caughtthebug6
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 28 February 2011

We were at the resort for a week with a 2-year old. My wife & I were both in need of serious relaxation after a rough several weeks at work, and Azul-Fives was just the ticket. Here are a few details:

* The comprehensive package made it easy financially, and very convenient--we put our wallets away the 1st day and didn't need them again until it was time to go home, and all the restaurants were very good.
* I've never seen a resort with both staff &facilities so welcoming of small kids. There were lots of other families with little ones, and between their company and the excellent child center (especially the staff), both Mom & Dad and son were happy all week. (The toddler-sized robes were also a nice touch--made for a cute picture of our son.)

Overall, I haven't had such a hard time packing up to head home at the end of a vacation in quite a qule, and I heartily recommend Azul-Fives to anybody looking to get away from the real world for a while.

Enjoy!

(PS One small criticism--but really just that--for the times of year before it's really hot outside, pool heating would be a nice addition.)

1 Thank MRW1227
KarismaHotelsResorts, Guest Relations Manager at Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen, responded to this review, 9 March 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you sharing your experiences of your recent vacation at Azul Fives Hotel. We are thrilled to hear that your stay was “ just the ticket” and truly value your feedback.

We'd like you to know that as a result of feedback such as yours, we are looking into heating as a future project for the rare ocassions in which we receive cool temperatures in Riviera Maya.

On behalf of Azul Fives Hotel, we'd like to thank you for choosing to stay at our resort and hope to welcome you back again very soon!
Montreal
Reviewed 28 February 2011

Wow, its amazing to see how polarized the reviews are on this hotel! Let me start by saying that I am one of those people who are extremely picky about hotels. Whereas it takes most people a couple of days to decide on a resort, I will take weeks and read every review out there. I travel down south (Mexico, Cuba or Dominican Republic) once a year and have been to perhaps 10 different resorts. I search for resorts that are luxurious but at a good value (I refuse to pay more than 1600-1700$CAD for a week). I will say that I did have some reservations about the hotel after reading some of the reviews, but all of my worries flew away the moment I arrived at the resort.
First of all, the place is absolutely GORGEOUS. The decor is outstanding, and we were treated so well when we first arrived to the hotel. Eduardo, our bellman was so sweet and helpful making sure we felt comfortable when we arrived in the room. If you can afford it, I really recommend taking the one bedroom suite; when I travel, I usually go for the most economical room, but I paid about 13$ extra per person, per day and i found it to be really worthwhile. The bed was really comfortable, and the room was always really clean. The only thing that is a bit confusing all the light switches! There are so many them, and even on the last day, we still didnt fully comprehend which ones opened which!
The first time we arrived at the pool and beach area, our mouths dropped. The place is stunningly beautiful and I absolutely loved the infinity pool. Chris (Rock) and his brother Alfonso are the pool butlers and they are absolutely amazing. They really go out of their way to make you comfortable, putting your towels down for you, and asking if you need anything. At the pool, they have towels, sunscreen, magazines, cool face towels, all you might need. Also, I wasnt aware of this before leaving but they have approximately 8 day beds on the beach. You have to reserve them ahead of time, so speak with the butlers a day or two ahead. The man who delivers the drinks at the pool was also incredible, passing by often (unfortunately his name escapes me at the moment).
One thing I will mention is that I would characterize Azul Fives as almost like an upscale family resort. My friend and I are in our mid-20s and prefer quieter resorts for rest + relaxation. There were not many people our own age, besides a few couples. This did not bother us. Most people at the resort are either traveling with their spouse, or with their spouse and young children. I did not see many kids over the age of 4 (this is a good sign considering we went during the school year). There were alot of babies around one or two years old. Would I have known this before coming, I still would have gone to the resort however, for others it might be something to consider.

I really dont know how anyone can fault the service at this hotel. Its obvious that the management puts a very high emphasis on providing top-notch service and the employees do. Everywhere. The nicest thing on top of it, is that during a conversation with one of the waiters, they told us that are also treated really well which makes it easy for them to do a good job. This was really nice to hear. At all the restaurants, the service was wonderful. I cannot remember everyones name, but Gregorio and Joel were two that really stood out. At the Tsukis, all the waiters were really nice. Although the waiters always passed by and were really attentive, one issue we had was how slowly the food was served at the two pool side restaurants. Dont get me wrong, I dont want them compromising the quality for lighting fast service, but it often took 20-30 minutes to receive our meals, even simple things. Also, one night we went to Tsukis (where the food is amazing) but the restaurant was full and we were told to return. We did return an hour later and had to wait so long, that we decided to leave. However, Joel and a couple of other servers were kind enough to run after us and bring us to the Mediterranean restaurant right next door, and tried really hard to please us and make up for it.
In terms of activities and excursions, all we did was travel to the town, and play tennis. I have an important note to write about traveling to Playa - REMEMBER that it should cost 12$ US to get there, not a penny more. Our driver tried to convince us that it was 15$ and we ended up paying it. Dont make our mistake.
Tennis: Pedro who worked at the tennis court may have been the highlight of our trip. He is so kind, and such a good teacher. A private lesson is alittle steep (45$) but at 8am every morning there are free group classes. When I went one morning, there was only one other person, so its more like a semi-private class. Be sure to bring tennis shoes, its slippery. But honestly, this guy deserves a raise.
The entertainment staff is also amazing - so thank you Alex, Gam, Hilarios and others were making our week special!
Another thing is: the sun is extremely strong, so wear lots of sunscreen and apply often. My friend got an extremely bad sunburn. But, another testament to the service - one of the managers found out, went to the store to buy her cream and tried to locate us at the resort to give it to us. Thank you Mr. Nunez!!
Now the spa: we both went for a 1 hour massage. It was a really great experience, but extremeeeellly expensive. They had a promotion so we got 80 minutes for around 130$ (CAN). My massage wasnt the best, but my friend really liked hers. However, they make the whole experience wonderful so we were actually there for like 3 hours. You have access to the spa area (with waterfall pools - but the hot one was actually cold) and saunas. They bring you to a room before and after your massage were they put heating pads on your back while you drink tea in a tranquil environment. Its terms of the WHOLE experience, it was the nicest spa ive ever been to.

Ok - last thing: the front desk service was generally good, but I hate to say this it could have been a bit better. I dont want to get anyone fired, but here were some of the things that happened at the front desk:
- I had a question about TV channels, and whether they had ABC, and the guy told me to "go to the pool area and ask the guy with shorts on." Normally, I would think they would find out for the guest.
- The day before we were leaving, we went to the front desk and asked what time our bus would be coming to pick us up the next morning. Our flight was at about 11am so we figured someone would come at around 8am or so. The person said that they didnt know and that we should contact our travel company. I mentioned that normally there are binders with the information left in the lobby and the person said there wasnt. We got really nervous and figured we should be at the lobby at 7am to make sure we wouldnt miss our bus. We were talking with other guests and found out that there ARE binders at the front desk with the information in it. Thank goodness we found this out, because the bus passed really early.
I also asked this person to schedule a wake up call for the next morning at 6am, but it never happened. We were lucky that we had a back up alarm.

Overall, I would really recommend this hotel! Please feel free to contact me with any questions!

And a big THANK YOU to everyone at the hotel for an amazing trip!!!

Side note of things that I recommend could be changed to improve the service:
-i really appreciate that this hotel has tried to be at least slightly "environmentally friendly." it mentions in the room that if we want our towels changed, to put them on the floor. However, as much as I tried to save our towels for a couple of days by placing them back on the rack, they were always changed. Most people probably appreciate this, but its really not necessary. Also, I have never been to a resort that recycles but I really encourage the management to start putting designated areas in the room for water bottles. I would always leave my recyclables in a corner but I am sure they got tossed in the can. The waste that goes on in these places is really unbelievable and the Azul Fives could really be setting a precedent.
-i know most people dont travel to watch tv, but most of the american channels were missing (ABC, FOX, NBC). the reception wasnt great either.
-Bathroom lighting could be improved slightly (using higher wattage lightbulbs), like other reviews remarked it was alittle challenging to apply makeup
-time of delivering food in the restaurants

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank eclipze006
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time and sharing your positive feedback with us here on Tripadvisor. We were delighted to read your positive, upbeat comments and are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel.

Please accept our most sincere apologies for the service received by our Front Desk agents. I'd like you to know that this has been discussed with our Front of House Manager in order to identify the training needs of each employee to ensure all guests receive high quality service.

We only want our guests to leave with a smile and therefore we appreciate your suggestions. Great effort is directed at our “Going Green” program and we can assure you that we do recycle and practice garbage separation. However we have reviewed your suggestions with our head of housekeeping.

On behalf of Azul Fives Hotel, I'd like to personally thank you for choosing to stay at our resort and we do hope to welcome you back again soon!
Reviewed 26 February 2011

Wonderful family vacation. Not sure this would be my pick without kids, but this is a perfect spot for families looking for a sophisticated resort that caters both to kids and adults alike. Never crowded or over-run with hoards of the party-crowd. Highly recommend.

• Stayed February 2011
2 Thank Bits5
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Fairmont Mayakoba
Fairmont Mayakoba
#8 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,667 reviews
The Royal Haciendas All Suites Resort & Spa
The Royal Haciendas All Suites R...
#46 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
Viceroy Riviera Maya
Viceroy Riviera Maya
#11 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,079 reviews

Been to Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen? Share your experiences!