My husband, our 2-year-old, and I had a great time at Azul Fives. We were there during the last week of February when the weather was nearly perfect every day. Even though the hotel was supposedly sold out, it never felt crowded, probably due to the fact that this is a hotel+condo resort.
ROOM: The 1-bedroom suite was clean, nicely furnished, and comfortable. We like hard beds so that wasn't a problem for us compared to other reviewers. We appreciated being off the ground (1st floor) so that our curious daughter wasn't able to go wandering off to the pool. We also liked having balconies overlooking the pool.
FOOD: When we go to Mexico, we go to eat Mexican food. We went to Sea Olive for dinner on our first night since it was already dark and we were surprised to find that there were no Mexican options. No ceviche, no tacos. Flavours Restaurant had an international theme night and I think the theme was "American." !! I would have been very unhappy to pay for the "Gourmet Inclusive" package and be stuck eating what we would eat at home. We rented a car so we ventured out to Playa del Carmen every day and ate very well (La Pesca, La Cueva del Chango, Asaderia de Pollo, La Bamba de Jarocha, Origenes to mention a few) . We walked over to Coco's Cabanas down the beach a couple of times which was fun too.
ACTIVITIES: We had a couple of tennis lessons with Pedro and that was fantastic! He's a super guy who gave us solid tips and drills to improve the game. We had a decent yoga class and a terrible salsa lesson. The salsa instructors didn't really want to be there and just went through the motions. Since we were the only ones there, they gave us about 15 minutes of lessons. Why bother even putting this on the social calendar? In fact, if there is a wedding on, they cancel the lesson. So after showing up two days in a row to find that the class was cancelled, we were more than disappointed on our third attempt to get 15 minutes of heartless, halfass salsa lesson.
SERVICE: The room service people were very nice. They gave us 4 bottles of water every day (although we bought our own water/juice/soft drinks/cerveza to supplement what they gave us.) I left my wedding ring in the room a couple of times with no problems (I didn't take the diamond ring with me on the trip) . In fact, one day we returned to the room while they were cleaning and one of the cleaners told us that our safe was left open. Everything was in place.
RESORT: We enjoyed the pools. The shallow areas were great for my daughter. Because we read how cold the pools were, we took a little shorty wetsuit for my daughter so she was very comfortable. I didn't find the pool to be that cold myself. We didn't get a chance to swim in the ocean. We're scuba divers so we took a little snorkel mask for our daughter along with all our gear but I guess 2 years of age is a bit too young...! and we thought the waves would have been a little too much for her to handle.
We also really wanted to see the monkeys that other reviewers talked about but we never got to see them. But our daughter came home talking about the iguanas sunning themselves.
KID'S CLUB was nice but they told us that we have to pay $30/day usage fee since we're not doing the all-inclusive. On top of that, there's the $15/hour for a babysitter at the club. When I called the hotel before the trip, they told me it was $10/hour at the kid's club ($15/hr in the room) and they mentioned nothing of the $30/day. $60 for two hours of adult time is quite different from the $20 that we expected to pay...but when we paid for the two hours, they only charged $30 for the babysitting, my guess is due to inefficiency rather than wanting to comp us for it.
OVERALL: I 'd go back in a heartbeat, especially now that we know where to go for good food and how to structure our days better for everyone's enjoyment.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located just 10 minutes from charming Playa del Carmen, Azul Fives Hotel is noted for enormous suites designed for families and friends with up to three bedrooms with rooftop decks. Activities and special experiences foster togetherness for families, couples and groups of friends. The 360-suite hotel offers the renowned Gourmet Inclusive® concept, as well as flexible meal plan options to suit all agendas. Private barbecues highlight family activities, and the Kid’s Club sponsored by Fisher-Price® caters to children. Rooftop Weddings inspire soon-to-be-married couples. The 24-hour room service and full-service concierge ensure memorable vacations. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, TravelUp, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Azul Fives By Karisma Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen Mexico/Riviera Maya