“Good, not Great.”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Toronto, Canada
“Good, not Great.”
Reviewed 13 March 2011

We have visited Mexico for the last 10 years. We love the people, the food and the beaches. We have visited numerous resorts throughout the 10 years and found that some were better than others. This year, after researching 5 star resorts I picked Azul Fives hoping that it lived up the the five star status.

In terms of location I would have preferred it to be closer to Playa Del Carmen core however the Taxi ride over is less than 30 minutes. The cost should be $12 USD one way. The hotel is fairly new therefore you might have difficulty returning back from Playa del Carmen. Two taxi drivers couldn't find the hotel on their booklet that determines rates. Make sure to know the address or let them know which other resort it's close to.

ROOM: We arrived at the resort early morning and requested an upgrade. All other resorts we've been able to get free upgrades or paid a nominal amount if the resort wasn't completely full. We had to pay about $500 USD to upgrade to the 1 bedroom. The bedroom is spacious, modern and clean however it has one large king bed and a uncomfortable pull out couch for the kids. In terms of privacy, it has a somewhat transparent shoji screen type doors. Therefore if you want private adult time the one bedroom will not give you this. The lighting is definately low especially near the vanity area. They have a retractable makeup mirror but you can hardly see anything due to the poor lighting. There is NO ocean view. The hotel is well set back. The main pool and two restaurants face the ocean. I don't think this is mentioned on their website or I missed it. I was a little perplexed as to the 5 star rating and not having an ocean view. I was told this resort was originally intended to be condos but there wasn't enough sales therefore converted to a condo/resort. There is nowhere to hang clothes to dry. We just put our wet swimming suits on the balcony chairs to dry. Our clothes always felt damp in our room for some reason. The air conditioning was on but it still felt clammy inside. The chandelier about the dining table makes this weird rustling noise all night long from the airconditioning unit and often times my husband and I have woken up thinking someone had broken into our room. Lastly, the cleaning is not has meticulous as other resorts we've visited. The beds were made the the bathroom cleaned but there the coffee and dining table was rarily touched. One night we arrived in our room at 6:00pm to find it hadn't been cleaned at all. They started cleaning it at 7pm after we complained.
BEACH: Small sandy area before you enter the water. It is very rocky. We didn't really mind. We stayed in the pool area most of the time. I agree with other reviewers, the service and energy level near the main pool was lacking. Most resorts around the main pool there is ample entertainment and constant service staff to bring drinks and food. The sea olive restaurant will not let you take food out to the pool area and there is no other outdoor food options around the main pool. There is a bar for drinks though. We never had any problems with getting chaise lounge however we went when the resorts was relatively quiet.

FOOD/RESTAURANTS:
Food was decent. Sea Olive during lunch is a tad slow, they ran out of certain items on the menu often. The TSUKI restaurant was good. The service at the restaurants were good and they accomodated special orders. We did get tired of the resort food and went to Playa Del Carmen a few days to get authentic mexican food. I would have preferred wrist bands to identify that we had the all inclusive. I found carrying a card all the time for food and drinks was cumbersome, especially when you are at the swim up bar and are asked for your card.

SPA:
The spa was excellent. The prices are quite high however they do have specials. I took advantage of the special twice. They had a $117 USD for 50 minute massage and 30 minute facial. Included is access to the spa facility which had a great wet and dry sauna. They also have a hot jacuzzi and cold jacuzzi. The attendant stays with you and offers you towels, drinks and snacks. The massage was excellent. Overall, the experience was fantastic. I would highly recommend this.

TENNIS:
We took advantage of the tennis lesson offered at 8am every morning except Sunday. Pedro was excellent. This really made our vacation. Pedro was very accomodating and let our son play with us most days when it wasn't busy. Often there was only 3 of us in the group. You can get private lessons for $45/.hr.

ENTERTAINMENT:
We caught a few shows however as others have mentioned on tripadvisor the shows start at 9:30pm. If you have small children it's hard to get to. I think they should have it at 8:30pm since most families eat early.

KIDS CLUB:

For young children under 8 they are good but for older children 9-12 not suitable. There are alot of rooms locked during the day and evening which limits the activities.

OVERALL: I thought the resort was good but not great. We think they need to work out the kinks in terms of consistency and service. Internet access was not free. They charge you $70 USD for the week or $14USD daily rate. The business centre has internet access on a minute or hourly basis. There is no general indoor lounging area. This would be nice when it rains. Your only option is to wait out the storm in your room. The last comment I will leave is for people who are on the all inclusive plan. Please leave a tip for good service. We generally leave a few bucks for breakfast , lunch, room service and housekeeping and $5 to $10 for dinner.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
KarismaHotelsResorts, Guest Relations Manager at Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen, responded to this review, 1 April 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your detailed review of your recent stay at Azul Fives Hotel. We value your comments and have found your suggestions very interesting. We are very happy that you enjoyed our spa and took advantage of our tennis lessons from Pedro, our resort tennis pro.

As a relativity new resort, we know that there are areas in our service that we can improve as we will continue to strive for perfection. This is why guest feedback and sites such as Trip Advisor are so important to us; we learn what our guests love about our hotel and where we have the opportunity to improve.

Again, thank you for your valued feedback.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,744)
  • Polish first
Calgary
Reviewed 10 March 2011

We just returned from 7 days at the Azul Fives. I've just read the recent posts and want to add our thoughts on the great, the not so good and the ugly.

The Great: Rooms: the rooms are amazing. We had a one bedroom suite and we had plenty of space for our family of three (we travelled with a 3 year old). We asked for and received (quickly, I might add) water and beer and wine when ever we wanted or needed it. Contrary to one of the other posts, we never found that we had to wait for anything. Safety - we always felt safe on the property and had no issues with missing items. In fact, one day housekeeping left us a note to remind us to put our items in the safe (we had left out some items during the day). Our room was kept very clean by the staff. The furnishings and decor were very nice. Food - the food was really tasty and the selection was amazing. As anyone who travels with children knows - selection is important and this hotel really caters to families with children. I would have liked to have seen more Mexican food. Our favourite restaurant was Tsuki. The chicken curry is very nice and our son loved the chicken skewers and stir fried veggies. Tex mex night at Flavors should not be missed. The fajitas are delicious. Sea Olive for dinner was good, not great, but sitting on the patio overlooking the ocean certainly made up for any shortcomings in the meals. Sea Olive for lunch was great. Breakfast at Flavors was very good. The hostess Sol was amazing. She got to know our names and always made a special effort to make us feel welcome. The two bar cafes were also very good for a quick lunch. Beach - the beach was amazing. Even though there was no ocean access directly in front of the hotel, it was only a very short walk to access the ocean and it was a nice walk. Pools - wonderful. We did not find them cool or too shallow or too narrow. It was nice to meander through the pools - it was very quiet and peaceful. Every pool also had a large shallow area where the children could play. We also liked the fact that music was not blaring through the resort. If you are looking for the party atmosphere, this is not the place, but it is a terrific family resort. There were always loungers available throughout the resort and plenty of towels. If you wanted to be where there was more activity, you could always find a spot. LIkewise, if you wanted a quiet area, there were lots of those too. Bars - excellent service and excellent drinks. Staff: I already mentioned Sol, but I have to say that with the very rare exception, the service was unbelievable. There were, at times, some language issues (we do not speak spanish), but the staff did everything they could to try to accommodate our special requests. This hotel has some nice special touches: the welcome champagne, cool towels and chocolate milk for our son was a nice touch. The gym was nicely appointed, cool and clean. The smoothie bar was a special treat. Any time you needed a ride somewhere, a golf cart was only a few minutes away. We saw monkeys, iguanas, lizards, squirrels and other animals which just added to the whole experience. Contrary to one of the other posts, we did have free internet access.

The not so great: we really have only very few "complaints" about this place - and I wouldn't even call them complaints. The only issue we encountered was inconsistency with food. We ordered the same dish at Sea Olive 3 days in a row and each day it was prepared a different way. Each way was delicious so we didn't mind. The water sports staff were indifferent - neither rude nor friendly, but not over the top friendly like every one else.

The Ugly: Really the only ugly thing we encountered were rude guests, and there were plenty. I cannot believe how some of the guests treated the staff. We found the behaviour to be totally offensive and completely unnecessary. The staff are working very hard and many of them are working 8 plus hour shifts in the blazing heat. While the guests can cool off in the pool or sip a nice cold cerveza, the staff do not have that luxury. If you have a complaint, I suggest perhaps taking it up with management, not the staff who are clearly doing their very best to get the job done.

All in all, we loved this resort, would not hesitate to recommend it for families with young children and intend on returning next year.

6 Thank happyfamilycalgary
Regina, Canada
Reviewed 9 March 2011

Great stay at Azul Fives.....I think the best thing about this resort is the employees that work here. Particularly the entertainment staff - they were wonderful!

We had a unit with the rooftop deck which we loved. The beach is nice and long for those morning walks. If you walk down a little ways there are great places to swim.

We would love to come back!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 9 March 2011

My husband, our 2-year-old, and I had a great time at Azul Fives. We were there during the last week of February when the weather was nearly perfect every day. Even though the hotel was supposedly sold out, it never felt crowded, probably due to the fact that this is a hotel+condo resort.

ROOM: The 1-bedroom suite was clean, nicely furnished, and comfortable. We like hard beds so that wasn't a problem for us compared to other reviewers. We appreciated being off the ground (1st floor) so that our curious daughter wasn't able to go wandering off to the pool. We also liked having balconies overlooking the pool.

FOOD: When we go to Mexico, we go to eat Mexican food. We went to Sea Olive for dinner on our first night since it was already dark and we were surprised to find that there were no Mexican options. No ceviche, no tacos. Flavours Restaurant had an international theme night and I think the theme was "American." !! I would have been very unhappy to pay for the "Gourmet Inclusive" package and be stuck eating what we would eat at home. We rented a car so we ventured out to Playa del Carmen every day and ate very well (La Pesca, La Cueva del Chango, Asaderia de Pollo, La Bamba de Jarocha, Origenes to mention a few) . We walked over to Coco's Cabanas down the beach a couple of times which was fun too.

ACTIVITIES: We had a couple of tennis lessons with Pedro and that was fantastic! He's a super guy who gave us solid tips and drills to improve the game. We had a decent yoga class and a terrible salsa lesson. The salsa instructors didn't really want to be there and just went through the motions. Since we were the only ones there, they gave us about 15 minutes of lessons. Why bother even putting this on the social calendar? In fact, if there is a wedding on, they cancel the lesson. So after showing up two days in a row to find that the class was cancelled, we were more than disappointed on our third attempt to get 15 minutes of heartless, halfass salsa lesson.

SERVICE: The room service people were very nice. They gave us 4 bottles of water every day (although we bought our own water/juice/soft drinks/cerveza to supplement what they gave us.) I left my wedding ring in the room a couple of times with no problems (I didn't take the diamond ring with me on the trip) . In fact, one day we returned to the room while they were cleaning and one of the cleaners told us that our safe was left open. Everything was in place.

RESORT: We enjoyed the pools. The shallow areas were great for my daughter. Because we read how cold the pools were, we took a little shorty wetsuit for my daughter so she was very comfortable. I didn't find the pool to be that cold myself. We didn't get a chance to swim in the ocean. We're scuba divers so we took a little snorkel mask for our daughter along with all our gear but I guess 2 years of age is a bit too young...! and we thought the waves would have been a little too much for her to handle.

We also really wanted to see the monkeys that other reviewers talked about but we never got to see them. But our daughter came home talking about the iguanas sunning themselves.

KID'S CLUB was nice but they told us that we have to pay $30/day usage fee since we're not doing the all-inclusive. On top of that, there's the $15/hour for a babysitter at the club. When I called the hotel before the trip, they told me it was $10/hour at the kid's club ($15/hr in the room) and they mentioned nothing of the $30/day. $60 for two hours of adult time is quite different from the $20 that we expected to pay...but when we paid for the two hours, they only charged $30 for the babysitting, my guess is due to inefficiency rather than wanting to comp us for it.

OVERALL: I 'd go back in a heartbeat, especially now that we know where to go for good food and how to structure our days better for everyone's enjoyment.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank CamdenH
California
Reviewed 6 March 2011

We just returned from a wonderful 6 night vacation at Azul Fives. We traveled with our 2 year old and two other couples with toddlers. We have traveled to many all inclusives in the past (Sandels, couples, el cid) and this was by far the best family friendly all inclusive we have ever been to....this was the first Karisma resort we have stayed at. There are some negative reviews on Trip advisor and I have to say, I was a bit nervous the week before we left, but our experience left us wanting to return ASAP.

We stayed in a 1 bedroom suite, which was amazing! I would definitely suggest the upgrade. The room is huge and beautifully appointed with modern furniture. I wasn't bothered at all by the lighting as some other reviewers mentioned. The separate shower and tub were very nice. We had a large deck, but no view to brag about. We spent minimal time in our room, so the lack of a nice view wasn't a bother. Housekeeping did a wonderful job everyday! We used the safe for our valuables, which we always do when traveling, and we had no problems at all. I always felt perfectly safe at the resort. We didn't venture out of the resort, but the other couples we traveled with did go into Playa del Carmen and loved it.

The property is beautiful, just stunning! There is a bit of walking required, but it was nice to get the excersize. The beach is one of the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen....there is coral out in front of the resort, but all you have to do is walk 5 min down the beach to enter the water. Really no big deal! The pools are a bit on the cool side, but really just felt refreshing- definitely didn't keep any of us out of the pool because it was too cold, however, it would be nice if they were a little warmer. The swinging beach beds are awesome! You do have to reserve them, so think ahead when you arrive.

The service is amazing! We met so many nice people that work at this resort and really take pride in making your experience special: From the waiters to the smoothie maker to the beach butlers. Of course there are always exceptions, but by and large we encountered excellent service. Two occasions we waited an excessive amount of time to receive our food at Sea Olive....so we opted to do the buffet for dinner to avoid long wait times with the kids...the fajita station was delicous! The food overall was excellent! We liked Tsuki the best and probably Sea Olive the least. Flavors is great for b-fast and Lizards was handy for snacks. The drinks are so good! If you think the drinks are weak, just ask for a double and that should take care of you just perfect. We also ordered a fair amount of room service and it was tasty and speedy...often arrived much sooner than quoted. The room service waiters were so nice and often times room service would call after it was delivered to make sure everything was right.
The most impressive aspect of this resort is the family friendly amenities. The staff and resort as a whole goes out of thier way to ensure that families enjoy thier vacation. The kids club is so cute and even has toddler size toilets! Tons of fun toys and activities to keep the kids happy. Probably the only disappointment during the whole trip was the lack of access to the "My Gym" facilities. They have this beautiful room with tons of tumbling equipment, but it is locked all day except for one hour in the morning for specific age group classes...we only had access to it once during our stay. It is such a wonderful space, that it is a shame that they don't allow more access to it.

The yoga class was amazing! The teacher was really well trained. ..so fun! I also did the tennis classes every morning- Pedro was great! Night time entertainment was a little on the cheesy side, but the kids liked it. The only downside is that the night shows don't start till 9:30pm, which was too late for our little ones most nights. The gym facilities are perfectly appointed. None of us did any spa treatments, although I really wished I would have! I felt the prices too high, otherwise I would have been ther in a second.

We did bring one dollar bills to tip, but we never felt obligated to do so. Although when we did encounter excellent service (which was often), we rewarded for it and the staff was very appreciative.
All in all, a wonderful trip- go with an open and positive mindset and you will be pleased. We sure were!!!!!

5 Thank dramz3
Sarnia
Reviewed 1 March 2011

We chose this resort since we were traveling with our two young adult children and a three bedroom suite was ideal. On the positive side the suite was spacious and comfortable. We liked the idea of having a kitchen but it wasn't very well appointed, lacking essentials such as a corkscrew. When we requested one from room service they said they didn't think they had any and it never showed up. I had to borrow one from the bar staff. The mini bar wasn't stocked unless several complaints were made, by our last day we were running out of water. Even if the mini bar was stocked it only had poor quality beer. The hotel grounds are lovely and we liked the layout of the pools. There was never any difficulty finding chaises by the pool or beach. Our terrace faced directly on a pool so it was equivalent to a swim-up room. Now for the downside. We were told that the resort was at 98% occupancy, and I believe this was a first for this new resort and it showed. Service in the restaurants was often slow. Special requests were usually not met. Breakfast at Flavours ( a buffet) is good but dinner isn't very good. The food at Sea olive and Tsuki is much better but inconsistent and overcooked. Lizards is a good choice for lunch. Only one bar remains open after six pm and it gets very crowded making getting a drink difficult.

Now for the worst part, we had a theft from the room. We left the resort for the day and on our return we found that my son's I pod touch and expensive ear buds had been stolen.
I know he should have put it in the safe but he hadn't left it out in the open meaning someone rifled through his backpack .Security investigated and they determined that the only people who had keyed in and out of the room were housekeeping and mini bar staff but nothing was resolved during our stay. My son has a form of autism and this upset him greatly making the last two days of our stay very miserable.Thank god for... Ivanhoe, a bartender at one of the pool bars who had befriended him, otherwise we would not have been able to get him to leave his room.
Several weddings took place during our stay and there were some loud celebrations into the wee hours of the morning.
We travel fairly frequently and are pretty easy going but this resort did not live up to the standards we have grown to expect.

• Stayed February 2011
1 Thank cabbyschnabby
KarismaHotelsResorts, Guest Relations Manager at Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen, responded to this review, 7 March 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

On behalf of the entire management staff at Azul Fives Hotel, we wish to pass on our sincerest apologies for what appears to have been a disappointing stay and is certainly not in line with our normal services and quality standards.

I'd like you to know that we take all feedback very seriously and we urge you to contact us immediately at customerservices@karismamexico.com so that we may pull up your information and resolve this matter as soon as possible, as we are unable to gather info based on your Trip Advisor membership.

Thank you again for your honest feedback and we look forward to speaking with you and resolving this matter at your earliest convenience.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 1 March 2011

Our stay at the Azul Fives resort was a very unpleasant experience with a few good moments.

The management staff at the resort was extremely unhelpful. On arriving at our room we found the safe was already locked and when we inquired about having it unlocked the management was slow to respond until the next day, by which point the cleaning staff had already entered the room and stolen an iPhone we couldn't lock in the safe. Complaints to management did nothing and we were not reimbursed for it, although they did finally fix the safe. Another guest at the resort complained of a similar thing where his laptop (which was too large to fit inside the small safe) was also stolen from his room while he was away on a day trip. Both the iPhone and laptop had been concealed as well, requiring them to look through luggage in order to find them.

Some more minor management shortfalls were that the bar fridge which contains drinks and is supposed to be stocked daily was never once refilled during our stay, despite numerous complaints. As they advise you not to drink the water from the taps, running out of bottled water in the bar fridge became quite annoying. Also the lawn sprinklers are positioned badly and actually spray directly onto the chairs next to the pool which can be bad if you're sitting in them but worse if you leave a book or something on the chair. Finally in order to get service at any restaurant/bar/etc you're required to show your room key so if you want a drink at a swim up bar and don't have a bathing suit with pockets you'll be forced to carry the card in your hand all day long.

The food at the resort was also sub-par. The Tsuki restaurant had some pretty good food but the buffet at Flavors and the Sea Olive restaurant were both disappointing. All of the restaurants also have an extremely small selection, usually only 3-4 main courses.

One exception to the poor food was actually the swim up bar/grill, Lizard. The food it serves is very basic (nachos, sandwiches, burgers, etc) but the service is fast and the food actually arrives hot.

The bars themselves are all very good with friendly staff and very fast service (Zky bar being the exception, service there is extremely slow)

The beach is a nice place to lie down and relax but don't expect to swim much in the ocean as it has very rough water as well as large rocks hidden under the surface all along it.

The pools make up somewhat for this as there are a lot of them. However they aren't very deep and are quite narrow in places making swimming quite difficult if there are other people sharing it.

As this resort does allow children we also found during our stay that the vast majority of children in the resort were very young (under 5 years old) and during the day it would be extremely annoying with shrieking and crying children everywhere. I'd be fine with some but when there are 20-30 children in the pool directly outside your room every day it can become a bit much. (The pools are designed with a large round area at the end that's only about a foot deep, making them congregating points for children which I'm sure is nice if you're a parent but if you're unlucky enough to get a room near one it can be bad.)

On the opposite end of the noise problem was a party one night that had very loud music/singing/etc until about 3am. We had to wake up early the next morning to go to Xel-ha so the loss of sleep partially ruined that trip the next day. (Of course, management also did nothing to quiet it down.)

In conclusion the resort has a lot of faults that outweigh the few good things about it. There are much better choices, don't waste your time or money on something like this.

(Also even if you're at the resort on the all-inclusive package you have to pay $10/hour for internet access. If you go and wish to bypass the charges all you have to do is use their computers, reboot them and keep tapping the F8 key until a prompt comes up asking if you want to start in safe mode. Select the option to start in Safe Mode with Networking and you'll have full access to the internet without having to pay over the top prices for something that should be included anyway.)

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
Mahekal Beach Resort
Mahekal Beach Resort
#27 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
The Royal Haciendas All Suites Resort & Spa
The Royal Haciendas All Suites R...
#49 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Generations Riviera Maya by Karisma
The Royal Playa del Carmen
The Royal Playa del Carmen
#12 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Azul Beach Resort Riviera Maya
Azul Beach Resort Riviera Maya
#5 of 25 in Puerto Morelos

Been to Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen? Share your experiences!