“Looking forward to go back to Villa del Mar!!!”

Hotel Villa del Mar
Ranked #34 of 168 Playa del Carmen B&B and Inns
Montreal, Canada
“Looking forward to go back to Villa del Mar!!!”
Reviewed 11 February 2011

Hotel Villa del Mar is a cozy, affordable and very well located little piece of heaven! I looooved it! The hosts were amazing with us and ,I have to mention, they have been amazing diving instructors! The place is very charming, near from everything and we couldn't help but stay very much longer than what we had planned! I recommend it to anybody who stops by the beautiful Playa Del Carmen.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 10 February 2011

I stayed for a week in Villa Del Mar and it felt like home! The location is perfect. Close enough from the beach, restaurants and nightlife to walk anywhere within 10 minutes, and still a little retired from the big noise and traffic, making sleep better than on the 5th avenue.
Our room was spacious with a nice balcony on the avenue, access to the pool, nice backyard and convenient assistance from the very welcoming owners themsleves. They know how to treat people, speak many languages and the lady owner is a DIVE instructor, so I was able to get my license and arrange dive trips from the hotel too. At the best prices, having shopped around to check.
I recommend with no hesitation to all fellow travellers.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
Escondido, California
Reviewed 10 February 2011

Awesome hotel off the main drag.Quiet garden atmosphere.
Excellent staff, clean rooms, mini fridge, comfi bed, balcony, bathroom with great towels and boutique soap.
We loved their attention to detail for such a GREAT price. Lovely gardens and yummy breakfast.
we will for sure be back,
travel on a limited budjet but want to feel pampered, this is it!!!
highly reccommend it!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank marrufo2
Coronado, California
Reviewed 10 February 2011

Great stay!!! CLEAN , excellent service, quaint hotel .perfect location!!! My husband and I are on a budget BUT will not stay just anywhere!!
Felt like our home away from home.this little hotel was so lovely and we will definately be back .

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Glendale NY
Reviewed 10 February 2011

I am not sure why a previous comment from the UK guests was unfavorable. I had a factastic stay at this hotel. The rooms were unbelievably clean as were the sheets an towels !! The staff is outstanding. Courteous and very professional. I highly recommend this hote to all visitors to Playa Del Carmen and I will certainly stay there everytime I visit Mexico. You should too !!!

Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 February 2011

Having been a member of tripadvisor for some time, I normally only offer reviews for places which are excellent rather than just average or poor (unless I were to stay somewhere terrible). This is usually because, having trawled through the reviews, I manage to find good places to stay.

However, I felt it necessary to write a review following our shock at the experience we had at Villa del Mar.

On a positive, the service we received was very good - all staff were polite and friendly.

We initially reserved 3 nights in advance (whilst we were travelling through mexico) at the hotel purely based on the positive reviews. On arrival, we paid a first night's deposit but made the rookie mistake of not checking the room first.

We are happy to stay in basic accommodation as long as it is well maintained and clean ( and I personally have stayed in many a basic accommodation during my varied travels). However, on entering the room, the sheets were stained, the floor and bathroom door handle had not been wiped clean of what hopefully was just some sort of berry juice (rather than blood - though this was questionable) and the towels were grubby (we did ask for more though). The room was next door to a bar, which, whilst it stopped playing music at 11pm, had a pool/snooker room upstairs and the noise was somehow amplified through our air-con unit, so it was incredibly noisy until 3am or so. Overall, the room (which had a grubby balcony overlooking 10th) was more like a youth hostel than good, clean but basic accommodation.

Unfortunately,there were no other rooms in the hotel available that night (and we arrived late in the afternoon from a mamouth trip across mexico) so we felt we had no option but to stay the one night (having foolishly paid the deposit).

Whilst the staff did offer to switch our room for the following nights, the bad impression from our first and only night there meant that we packed our bags and moved on.

Given all the previous reviews, we were rather shocked to find what we did! Disappointed to say the least!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank travelwise99
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 21 January 2011

The hotel is in the main tourist area and just a few blocks from a gorgeous beach! The rooms are not fancy, but they are clean and the air-conditioning works well. The hosts are fabulous, approachable and knowledgeable. The pool was questionable. We looked at it, but didn't get in... Overall I would recommend this hotel. You cannot beat the location for the price!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family