“Great location and friendly staff”
Review of Hotel de Mar

Hotel de Mar
London, United Kingdom
“Great location and friendly staff”
Reviewed 8 January 2012

We stayed here on our second visit to Playa del Carmen. We were at the end of four months of travelling so were looking for somewhere cheap but close to the beach and safe. We stayed in a double room, we had our own balcony which we could have beers on in the evening and watch people go by. The bathroom was ok - not the cleanest but tolerable, and beds were comfy and the room spacious. The staff were really nice, they looked after our valuables in a safe when we went out andwe had no problems with security. The kitchen was a bit of a dive, but we ate out a bit and meant we could have breakfast at the hostel (with use of the fridge and utensils etc). The hostel was also right by all the shops and restaurants that were next to the beach.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Katharine179

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Reviewed 28 December 2011

Fantastic location a block away from the beach and the proximity of the bus station are the selling points of this hostel.

Bring earplugs or you won't sleep. Open bar for youth makes 'em chant 'Sex, sex, sex on the beach'. Of all the noises in the street, this hostel makes the loudest. At least the music is good.

Service is kind, but they did recommend a tour to Mayan ruins which was really badly organized.

• Stayed December 2011
2 Thank Vahinko

Travellers are raving about these Playa del Carmen hotels

Prague - Czech Republic
Reviewed 1 August 2011

Fed up with this place. Stayed 4 weeks. Every day things got stolen from someone -cameras,phones etc.. I confronted the manager but he did not care.. Either you lock your luggage and your stuff, or you find another place to stay..

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank StudentFromPrague
Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed 9 July 2011

Really hard to complain about the location. It's very close to the ferry, colectivo, and bus terminals, close to restaurants where locals frequent as well as right next to the tourist scene. You're also about 2-3 blocks from the beach. About 2 blocks away is also a very cheap drop-off lavanderia (10 MXN per kilo). We pretty much enjoyed our stay at the hostel.

There were only a few small things that were somewhat frustrating: We stayed there for 2 nights. While they did come and "clean" the room every day, I noticed the cigarette butts in the bathroom's windowsill that were there on our arrival (we had a private en suite room) remained there the whole time. Staff were friendly but could be less than helpful. Some were fantastic and others not so much. For instance when we arrived we discovered our bathroom light didn't work. I informed staff, and we left. When we came back 2 hours later the light still did not work. I reminded him. After another hour I finally went downstairs and stood there staring at him. It got fixed (just needed a new bulb).

The most bothersome issue was the noise. We were upstairs in the "hotel" section, but there were some other doors on the floor that people kept slamming. Apparently, that's the only way you can get those doors closed. Since there are a lot of partiers staying there that often meant a rude awakening at 1 AM.

Even with that it was a very decent place for what you pay. We paid about $30 a night for a private en suite with air conditioning. For that location it's pretty hard to beat.

Room Tip: Don't be afraid to counter offer. Sometimes you get a great deal.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank 1Dad1Kid
Plymouth
Reviewed 1 February 2011

For a little less than $15 a night, and located in the center of PDC's main tourist drag, I really can't complain.
I stayed a couple nights in dorm #1. It was a cramped 6 bed mixed dorm with a tiny insuite bath (toilet+sink+shower). The shower floor was filthy. My feet were literally more dirty after I finished showering than before, which grossed me out a good amount, and when I grabbed my soap off the window ledge above my head there was brown mois crud all over it and my fingers....I don't know if it was fungus, animal feces, wood shavings, or cigarette tobacco, or what, but it was disgusting.
There was a tiny balcony overlooking Calle 6, with a fiew of the main pedestrian street, which was nice to relax on. There was also a rooftop hang-out/smoking area. I was told at check-in that there would be a free shot of tequila for me up there in the evening, but after waiting alone for an hour at the time I was told, realised this was either a fib, or forgotten.
The included breakfast consisted of bread, butter, jam, and corn flakes. They had free filtered water, which was nice. The kitchen was small and dirty, but there are 3 refrigerators, so I always had room to keep a bottle of rum cold, and there is a convenience store literally right next door.
They had 2 PCs for free internet use, and someone at the front entry 24hrs..
Towels were provided (but holy and stained), as were flimsy sheets. The beds were covered in plastic, which was somewhat loud and uncomfortable due to the heat. Sleeping on my beach towels helped. The room did not have airconditioning, not a working light on one half of it. The poor people in the 3 or 4 bunks furthest from the bathroom couldn't see any of their stuff after dark without a flashlight.
The location was very good, except there is a (aparently all Spanish....which I'm glad for, because at least I didn't recognise the songs being mutilated) karaoke club across the street called La Cucaracha, which played loud music past 4am on the weekend. The bathroom door also made annoying squeeking all night when it wasn't jammed shut well enough, so ear plugs are advised.
There were lockers, but the one I was assigned was essentially useless because it had no back, and while the door locked in front, anyone could have just turned the whole thing to one side and emptied it (and the one above it) from behind, because it wasn't actually connected to the wall. They did offer free lockup of my passport and valuables at the front desk though, so it wasn't a big deal.
They also had what appeared to be a couple floors of hotel rooms.
Overall, I'd call this one: Cheap, basic, relaxed, 420 friendly, potentially fun, conveniently located, rough around the edges, and a decent place to crash while enjoying the beach and nightlife of Playa Del Carmen.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank HurricaneAlexis
Reviewed 18 January 2011

Rooms are nasty, no place you can put anything that isnt dirty. Floors and bathroom havent been cleaned for yeats. Someone even stole lightbulbs in the room. Sure you get good location but that means nightclubs banging and no sleep.
worst hotel ever, STAY AWAY

• Stayed January 2011
1 Thank nitko666
Alberta
Reviewed 4 October 2009

I stayed at Maria Sabinas for a week in Sept 2009. #1- Location. Literally "meters" from the Beach, 5 minute walk to the Main Bus Stop, 10 minute walk to the Night Clubs... and it's just off 5th Avenue aka "main shopping/restaurant district". Across the street is a 24 Hour Convenience Store- open all day& all night, PLUS a Bank Machine. I would HIGHLY recommend this to SINGLE or young travellers, as all the staff can speak English-- and they're ALL super friendly AND amazingly helpful!!! You'll most-likely make friends with them very easily. I stayed in the "all-girls dorm". YES- They have Lockers (they also DID provide Me with a Lock) and very coooool Air Conditioning. My room had a Balcony with a view of the Ocean- lovely! It was QUIET in my room at night- no noise. Very comfortable, and very respectful and friendly roommates. Bed Sheets, Towels, Soap, and Toilet Paper were provided and changed daily. Toilets were scrubbed daily, too. Free Breakfast at 7am-10am, with papayas, bananas, watermelon, tea/coffee/milk, and white or brown bread w/ strawberry jam. There's Free Purified Water Anytime too (except after 10pm when they lock the kitchen). You'll meet travellers ages 20-35 from all over the world... like Europe, USA, Australia, South America, Israel. There's also lotsa places to "socialize"- including the kitchen, the internet table (by the front desk), and on the 3rd Floor there's an AMAZINGLY COOL Outdoorsy-type STRAW-HUT aka open-air "lounge" area w/ couches n' chairs, and a hammock, where they serve FREE Booze at 10pm! Way to sit, sip, and socialize!!! :) As for level of comfort, I felt very safe here. As for the "looks" of the rooms-- Keep in mind, this is a Hostel in Mexico...helllloo... If you are A SEASONED hostel traveller... you know "to expect" bunk-beds with plastic covered mattresses... so this should NOT phase you, if you are INFACT used to staying at hostels anyways... I've stayed at many hostels around the world, so I thought this was ACCEPTABLE. This is Mexico too- so ALSO please -- dont expect 5 star looking bathrooms... the ones at Maria Sabinas have a basic sink, a toilet, and a stand-up shower. EACH room has a bathroom that looks "kinda-old" but ok for the most part. Yes- there IS Hot Water. =) In every room also, there is a TV, and outlets to charge your cel phone. The rooms are basic- bunkbeds, tv, airconditioning, and lockers, and a few tables to put your stuff. PLUS a nice balcony. All in all, for the price- and the LOCATION- and the AMAZINGLY friendly staff - (the friendliest staff from ANY hostel I've been to in the world!!!) - and the NEW people you meet - and the socializing - the airconditioned QUIET dorms with the BEAUTIFUL balcony views - the free "all-you-can eat" breakfast - free booze at night - CHEAP TOURS at the front desk as well to "Chitzen Izta" - Close to BUS - Close to BEACH - Close to Shopping - 10 Min walk to Nightlife - Again SUPER Helpful Staff-- GREAT LOW PRICE--- Seriously, if you're a young traveller looking for a nice, relaxing, and fun time in Playa Del Carmen- at a place that is safe and inexpensive, at a PRIME location, then I would TOTALLY RECOMMEND MARIA SABINA'S !!! - Tara from Canada :)

PS There are NO BUGS that I saw, the cleaners were in DAILY to change my sheets/towels and scrub the toilet, and yes, my room was QUIET at night... keep in mind, I was in the "all-girls x4 beds room." :-)

PPS The only things I would recommend is that they take lil more extra time to scrub the bathroom walls & floors for a "newer, cleaner look" and "seal up" the teeny-tiny open "window" on the top of the bathroom door... and, I might really suggest newer-lookin' Towels too! =) Also, it would be nice to have access to the purified water in the lounge too, besides the kitchen, which closes at 10pm. I would also recommend a cage/lock-up of sorts for their downstairs luggage storage, although I do know staff keeps an eye-out for 'em... and Playa is SAFE for the most part... =)

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo