“Amazing”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Buffalo, New York
“Amazing”
Reviewed 19 May 2011

We stayed at Ambassador. From the moment my husband and I arrived we felt catered to! The room was unbelievable. I had viewed the rooms on the internet prior to our visit, but thought, "there is no way our room will be in that category!". The room was huge and had a large jacuzzi tub and beautiful tiled shower with handheld or rain shower from the ceiling. We loved the his & her sandals and beach bag. It was ultra-all inclusive, not like any of the other all inclusives we have done in the past. Room service was included, even champagne and a fruit tray we ordered one night! The snacks & beverages in the room were included, even a bottle of Tequilla and beer. Our room was first floor and I would recommend a higher floor as we felt we missed out on the Ocean view a bit. However, our experience from past trips we knew we wouldn't be in the room all that much anyways. Our favorite day was spent at the pool in the Master section. The pool was so private, at the most there may have been 6 other people at one time. It was in the jungle and we enjoyed watching the exotic birds while in the pool. The cabanas & palm trees surrounding this pool were so beautiful, it looked like something for the Rich & Famous! The Mojitos at this pool were the best too! The spa was phenomenal!!! I did the water journey, with the visits to the 7 rooms which was like a dream! So amazing! I had a pedicure which was out of this world!! From the aromatherapy scents, to heated neck & hand pads, covered eyes during the pedicure....it was super relaxing! I thought I died & went to heaven!!!! The food was good too. Some of our favorites were the Canolli at the Italian restaurant (loved the outside seating area here too), the shrimp kabobs and sandwiches poolside and the French restaurant was wonderful too! The staff was very attentive without being overbearing! (We did not feel that we HAD to tip. We tipped when we felt we wanted to. ) Grand Velas was Amazing! I hope I am lucky enough to return some day!

Room Tip: At Ambassador room above 1st floor.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank 3cutekidz
GVRM, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Velas Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 8 July 2011
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for sharing your comments about the service, food and emotions you have experienced during your recent stay. It is with great pleasure that we have read your extensive report filled with such valuable feedback.
Hopefully you will be able to come back soon.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (770)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Toroni, Greece
Reviewed 18 May 2011

I have travelled the Caribbeans and South America extensively over the years, with my family. I was always very skeptical of the all-inclusive resorts. Take it from my experience:
This hotel is fantastic in every way. The food is simply delicious (Chefs are "imported" from their own countries to satisfy the specific needs of foreign nationalities). The restaurants offer a culinary delight every single day. The service level of the staff is impeccable and very high-class. Very friendly management as well as all other employees. If you have children, the two kids clubs will offer exceptional value and loads of entertainement. In terms of the hotel decor, the accomodations: every aspect was designed by a professional interior decorator and shows high class. Rooms are superb, large. I would recommend this heaven to any travellers and the prices are very decent. Please come and visit and experience.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank washago77
GVRM, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Velas Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 29 June 2011
Dear Guest,
We are glad that you had an enjoyable staying with us and thank you for writing such a wonderful review.
Looking forward to host you again in the near future!
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 16 May 2011

amazing resort! Well worth the money! We spent 5 nights at Grand Velas couple of weeks ago and absolutely loved it. If you are looking for an amazing luxury, this is the place to stay at. Wonderful staff, amazing grounds, beautiful beach and fantastic restaurants for everybody! Our almost 5 years old son had a blast in kids club, it was great to have a little "adult time" and still knowing that he was in a great hands having fun. He actually kept asking if he can go to the kids club :) We always got him room service dinner while we were getting ready for a nice romantic date night and he loved it. Spa there is absolutely the best, you go to try it if you are there. We stayed in Master section, which is little bit away from the beach, but it was actually perfect. Very jungle looking, great pool area and shuttle takes you to the main Ambassador area anytime you need.

Perfect place for adults only vacation or family vacation with children.

Great selection of restaurants with truly fine dinning experience! You got to try french Piaf and also Cocina De Autor (very mysterious and full of surprises in every bite :)
Also, piano bar was a great place to have a drink after dinner. Music was amazing!
Also, free cab to 5th Ave was nice, but you have to pay the cab ride back (around $20) - great place to go for few hours!

LOVED EVERY BIT OF IT!!!
Thank You Grand Velas! We will be back!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank kcoole
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing how amazing your holidays have been.
Hope you will give us the pleasure to host you again very soon.
Regards,
cleveland ohio
Reviewed 10 May 2011

My company had a small group at the Grand Velas in March. Everyone enjoyed their stay. The rooms were huge with great views. Staff stayed in the Jungle section that was equally as beautiful. Being an all inclusive food is always a concern, but not here. The buffet was fresh and changed daily. The specialty restaurants were great. The staff was very attentive and friendly. All in all, it was a great experience for our clients as well as our staff - and we've seen ALOT of hotels.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank GoneAgain14
GVRM, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Velas Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 14 June 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you for letting us know how perfect your stay was, we will be more than happy to have the opportunity to host you again very soon and give you once more the good service you have already experienced.
Regards,
Rochester, New York
Reviewed 9 May 2011

I spent a considerable amount of time reading the reviews before the trip and I would like to add some things that I did not find in any of the other reviews. I stayed at the Ambassador section that overlooks the pool area and has that amazing ocean view that cannot be beat. We were located on the 3rd floor, which I recommend. When we arrived I was surprised to see that the main entrance was located on a very busy highway and my first thought was that the pictures had not been accurate and then once you pass through the main secured gates and drive the 7-8 minute drive it is as if the place literally unfolds in a green lush jungle and you are transported to another world. When you arrive at the main lobby for your section they open the vehichle door and place stairs for you to exit the van and they escort you to the main heck in area and I was offered a kiwi/strawberry drink that had a floating Jasmine flower. You are then escorted to your room and the concierge that is assigned to your floor gives you a tour of your suite and walks you through all of the switches for the lighting, etc. Within minutes your luggage will arrive. In previous reviews I always wondered what amenities were in the room. In the mini bar section we had an expresso machine that made individual cups, think Keurig. We also had a supply of many flavors of expresso. There was a 0.5 liter bottle of Milagro tequila accompanied with a little jar of salt, a jar with fresh lime and 2 shot glasses. I put the tequila in myh luggage to bring home to my son and it was not replaced so I believe you get one bottle per booking. The mini frige also had a small bottle of both red and white wine. There were 8 cans of beer with names such as Corona, Modello, etc. There was some candy bars and snack size bags of chips, canned nuts and pretzels that were all replaced daily. The room listed as a suite is really a very large hotel room with a very large balcony that has a bed/chaise lounge for 2 in the shade and a small table and 2 chairs. I really enjoyed not being on the ground floor as the balcony provides a lot of privacy. The jacuzzi tub is a very large 2 person tub and the walk in shower with the rain water head is very large with a shelf to sit on. The only thing lacking in the room was a full lengh mirror so that you could get ready while someone was in the bathroom. Some of the room amenities included 2 umbrellas, a roomy wicker beach basket, a can of Raid for bugs which we never needed and a small spray bottle of mosquito which I wished I had used before I fell asleep on the balcony while reading at night. Shoeshine service is provided free of charge. The is a very small compact blow dryer that is more powerful than the full size unit I brought with me, so leave yours at home. Internet service is fast, wireless and free especially while poolside. There was never a lack of waiters ready to bring you a drink or the poolside food menu. Try the quesadias (sP?), they are very good. Room service never took more than 30 minutes and the food is very good and the menu is extensive and includes items such as rib eye steaks. The restaurant Chaka was a very lovely place but the menu was a little different than most upper end restaurants as you only order your main course and they choose the salad, appetizer and the dessert which are all chef's choice. I am a very fussy eater and this did not work out well for me. My favorite place to eat was the Bistro as it opens up to the beach and remains open until midnight. The atmosphere there was true ambiance!!!

I hope that these details help to wet your appetite because you will have the most relaxing trip with some of the best and most attentive staff I have ever had the pleasure to interact with. I was a big cruiser until this trip and I am now converted to the all inclusive realm. It was a new experience for us to never have to think about what our charges were up to and really just relax for a full week. Although I did miss the casino for a late night activity.

• Stayed May 2011
9 Thank TravelingDoc23
Reviewed 8 May 2011

We stayed at the Grand Velas for our 25th Anniversary. We knew we had booked a five star resort, but we never imagined this level of service. Everything, the reception, the room butler, the food, the staff everywhere, the beach, the room, the pools, all exceptional!!

• Stayed May 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for having chosen our resort for your recent vacation and for such a special occasion as your Anniversary was. Your comments made us so happy and so proud to work in this little piece of Paradise.
We are pleased to learn that your stay at Grand Velas met your expectations and hope to be able to host you many more times in the future.

Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 3 May 2011

I do not have one bad thing to say about this hotel. I have been to nice hotels all over the world but this was by far the best service I have ever experienced. I would come back in a heart beat! Our room was in the master section of the hotel and at first I was disappointed based on reviews I had read before the trip but if I were to go back I would request that section. It was so peaceful and relaxing. In the morning we would typically go down to the beach but by the middle of the day we would be ready to retreat back to what felt like our own private pool in the jungle.

Room Tip: request a first floor room to get a private pool.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for sharing these wonderful comments about your stay with other travelers. We are very pleased to receive such a positive feedback. Comments like yours motivate us constantly to do our best not only to maintain the quality of the service we provide, but also to go beyond our guests’ expectations.
Just as a quick note, not all our first floor rooms have a private pool. You can reserve a Master Pool Suite or ask for the upgrade at the moment of check in and pay the difference.
We hope you will give us the opportunity to host you many more times in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
5.0 of 5 bubbles 5,710 reviews
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#33 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 6,726 reviews
Now Jade Riviera Cancun
Now Jade Riviera Cancun
#9 of 25 in Puerto Morelos
4.5 of 5 bubbles 8,350 reviews
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#23 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 8,124 reviews
Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
#75 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.0 of 5 bubbles 11,751 reviews

Been to Grand Velas Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!